Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Milk Chocolate, Coconut, Cardamom, Rum, and Ginger Truffle

Milk chocolate, coconut, cardamom, rum, and ginger truffle.

This is total yum. The strongest note is the ginger, which is like fresh-ground ginger root. The chocolate, rum, and coconut are there, but are very much in the background until the drydown, when the cardamon comes in.

ETA: Now that this has had a week to settle, I re-tested it. Now its almost all cardamon with barely anything else. Such a shame, because the ginger note was amazing.

Whoa heavy GINGER note in this one. Very, very strong note on my skin. While it's wet, I'm smelling ginger, rum, and chocolate. I smell a little cardamom on dry down, but never really any of the coconut note.

Milk Chocolate, Coconut, Cardamom, Rum, and Ginger Truffle - My experience with this is very different from the other reviews so far -- from the moment I open the bottle, the dominant note by far is cardamom. It is an amazing scent! When I was in college, I was a nanny for an East Indian family and the mom of the family used to come home from work every day and make a pot of black tea on the stove that had in it slices of fresh ginger, cardamom pods, coconut milk, and sugar. It was the most amazing tea I've ever had in my life. That's exactly what this fragrance smells like. When I apply it to my skin, the cardamom is still the strongest note and ginger gives it a nice kick of spiciness. After about 45-60 minutes, I can finally smell the chocolate on my skin, and with it, the cardamom and ginger. Then, at around the two hour point, the spices have eased off significantly, and that's when the coconut really comes through with the chocolate. I never am able to distinguish the rum from the other notes. I am not much of a chocolate scent person, but this one kicks @$$ and takes names. The chocolate never at any point becomes plasticky or dusty, as it often does on me.

This is by far the best "foody" BPAL I've ever encountered in all of my years of trying hundreds upon hundreds of BPALs. It is beyond awesome. :heart:

This smells like a spicy chai-infused chocolate bar. The ginger and cardamom are very strong, with impressive throw. I don't really get any rum or coconut, just warm spices and creamy milk chocolate. It's a very intense foody scent, possibly a bit too strong, but smells quite delicious. :)

This is, by far, the BEST box o' chocolates blend from this year and last year! I really wish that someone would make real chocolates like this 'cause I'd eat the hell out of 'em! This just smells like warm, melted chocolate with ginger and cardamon. The coconut kinda takes a back seat but you can still smell it. The scent lasts a looong time on my skin too which is uncommon. I ususally rock any ginger scents anyway but this is the best! I will definately be buying back-up bottles!

Oh, hi there, cardamom.

This blend started out heavy on the ginger and then pretty much turned into a single cardamom note blend. Way to heavy and overwhelming for me, but if your a cardamom fan then you'll probably love this. Super strong throw and lasting power.

On me, it's nom-my-arm-off yummy. Warm and chocolatey and delicious. In practice, it's a lot like Possets' Haute Love, which I already have a couple bottles of, and I already know how that one wears too. I think I'll keep the decant though, which I do not usually do.

An hour later it is less chocolatey and more cardamom+ginger. very warm and nice, like having been baking all day.

In the decant, I'm getting spicy chocolate, it's making it edgy. Light application. On my skin, it's pretty much rum and ginger and cardamom with chocolate underneath. Keeping an eye on this, as I don't know what cardamom might do to my skin (if it's like Enraged Groundhog Musk, my skin may end up breaking out). Doesn't make my skin break out, not quite sure what to think of it as a scent, so it's going onto a round two test. Also, with Zadok Allen Vineyard on the other wrist, it's a pretty neat scent. Update with full skin test later.

Tried a full skin test again today, and it's a wonderful spicy, different chocolate scent. Definitely going in my next order.

Edited by Venneh

Disclaimer: I'm not a foodie person, but every note in this is one that I love in other blends, so I couldn't resist a decant.

Nutty, gloopy chocolate and spices. This goes on heavy and nauseatingly rich. Dries down much lighter as a cardamom chocolate. It also still smells quite nutty to me. If this was swirled in a jar, I'd spread it on toast and I'm sure it'd be delicious.

No ginger, no coconut, no rum. Disappointed. I wanted boozy coconutty spicy chocolate. I just got it in the mail today, so I'll let it settle a while and try it again in a couple of weeks.

Yummy!!!

:yum:

This is the perfect blend of spice and chocolate! Sweet, warm, creamy, chocolatey, spicey--like a chai chocolate bar. Absolutely my favorite chocolate candy scent ever!!! More throw and lasts longer than most other milk chocolate scents, too. While wet, the cardamom was predominant, and I loved that too, but it dries into perfect balance.

:dance:

Yowza!

In the bottle it's a highly fragrant combo of the cardamom and the Ginger, kinda like you stuck your nose into a spice jar. There is no sweetness detectable to my nose when

I sniff it from the bottle (mega cute label though).

On: Caaaarrrdddaaammmommm. Sharp at first but as it dries turns softer and has a twinge of the chocolate. I can smell the coconut just a wee bit, no rum ever. I agree that this totally smells like a spicy chai chocolate bar. That about sums it up perfectly.

End result: I can see this being scrumptious with some aging. And in the scent locket too. This is tasty!

This one is like a much gentler version of 13 from February 2009- the one with the black label. It has a lot of similarities, but in a greatly softened version. I would recommend this one for people who, while liking the notes, found the Feb '09 version of 13 to be too strong and too spicy.

I'm a little disappointed- all I get is cardamom, whereas I was hoping for more coconut.

This reminds me very much of the Cinnamom & Cardamom tea from Republic of Tea.

In the bottle, this smells like gingerbread men dipped in chocolate.

On my skin, this smells bready & slightly dry, and a sharp ginger note takes over. It's like a gingerbread cookie that was left out to go stale. The ginger is really sharp and intense on me, and it overpowers any chocolate or coconut that may have been here.

This Truffle is dry, bready, and has an intense, sharp, foodie ginger going for it. I prefer Shub-Niggurath for a ginger scent, as it is much less dry & simple smelling on me. This isn't a bad scent; it's just not as complex as I was hoping for. On a positive note, this doesn't make my skin red or itchy, it doesn't give me a headache, and it's not something that I felt the need to run and wash off, lol. It's just okay...

I used to drink rum-based drinks at university, but not since. That being said, I would still rather drink rum than smell like it. :) Strangely enough, I'm not picking up any rum here as a precise note, but I'm afraid that it's the rum that's turning the milk chocolate a little sour (again that sour cream note?). There's not much coconut or cardamom, as the ginger note rises up and slays them. Later on in the evening, the notes I could detect did do a lovely blending, but it took a while to get there. I really wanted to like this, and the dry-down is good after a while, but while it's wet, it's too odd, perhaps. It might work best as something to layer with.

In bottle: The chocolate is fairly strong in this one with the rum a close second. I’m really liking the way the cardamom and ginger play with the other elements. The coconut is very subdued, which is all to the good as I have mixed experiences with coconut. Wet: More rum and coconut on the skin, but not outrageously so. This really smells like goat cheese. The spices stay strong, pleasantly so. I’m not sure about this one. I’m finding the goat cheese turns it a little sour, though I love the basic elements. Dry: the sourness disappears. It turns into a lovely spice dominant chocolate.

I was scared about the cardamom, but it smells great. It smells like sweet spicy cardamom and light coconut milk. I don't get rum or ginger. It's a creamy spicy scent with cardamom center stage.

Edited by BuxomM

IN THE IMP: Smells delicious! Cardamom and chocolate, with a hint of ginger.

WET: Still good, mostly cardamom with a little bit of chocolate. Not as delicious as it smelled in the vial.

DRY: Ugh, the cardamom turns all sour and funky and this ends up smelling almost cheese-like. I had to wash it off…scrub, actually. I usually love cardamom, I don't know what happened, but my skin destroyed this one.

In the decant: Ooh, gingery warm spice. Yum!

Wet on skin: Wet, the cardamom amps up, but you can still smell the richness of the milk chocolate in the background.

Dry: On the drydown, the notes meld together more. It's sweet, it's spicy, it's chocolately, it's delish.

Verdict: I love.

this one smells exactly like lump of coal on me. i even had someone sniff it after i applied to make sure.

which i guess is great if you like lump of coal lol. i did trade for the imp though.

:ack: One of these notes is *not* agreeing with me because its actually making me gag. I'm thinking it could possibly be the cardamom that my skin is turning into nastiness because I've never tried that note before. Definitely not a blend for me. Edited by musichappens

I'm a little disappointed- all I get is cardamom, whereas I was hoping for more coconut.

This reminds me very much of the Cinnamom & Cardamom tea from Republic of Tea.

This is exactly what I get too. Too much cardamom, not enough of the sweet notes :(

This was the chocolate that I was most looking forward to. I love ginger, and chocolate, and cardamon. Rum and I have some minor issues, but I took the chance.

In the imp there is something that smells foul. I didn't even want to skin test this it was that bad. It was not the rum either, which I was expecting to have issue with.

Wet it gets a little better for me. The chocolate and ginger are a creamy spicy duo that, along with the cardamon, are doing great things. Not getting any rum. That's a good sign.

Dry this is FAIL of epic proportions. It smells like ground up nasty vitamins. WTF man! :cry2:

I am really saddened by this blend.