Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the imp: clear, refreshing, a little sharp, a little sweet.

On skin: oh, it's tricky to pick out notes when you're first reviewer! ;) I think there's a pervading scent of Christmas tree in this one, but it's not a heavy sap-laden pine. It's quite airy and chilly, like the scent of pine through cold winter air. There's just a little bit of powdery sweetness to it as well.

It will be interesting to see what everyone else makes of this :) Thanks Puddin'!

To me (I am not the best at notes, but getting better each year) it smells like gold and frankincense. Very royal and clean. Very elegant and pretty.

When I first put this on, it smelled like bright, candied cherry to me, with possibly some light, chilly fir, like the first reviewer said, although I could have been influenced by her review! : ) I wore it to the movies, and as it dried, it changed to a deeper wine-like scent that reminded me of Montresor. Then it eventually ended up smelling strongly of honey and musk. I don't really like honey in my perfume so this stood out strongly to me. I also kept thinking I smelled patchouli, just small hints of it, although it is possible that someone else near me was wearing patchouli (I was at a sold-out showing of Avatar). I'm not sure if I want to try this again, because of the honey impression, but if I do, I'll come back and confirm if I smelled patchouli again or not.

So my guess for notes would be.....I guess some sort of cherry wine, maybe some bright and airy fir, with honey and musk, and possibly patchouli. Cherry mead around the Christmas tree?

in the imp: juniper, and what smells like the champagne note from last year's xmas offerings.

wet on skin: much the same. like a boozy holiday punch, or strong martinis up with a twist.

dry down: yeah, this is the champagne note. which, like the beverage itself, gives me a bad headache :(

in all: glad i got to try something fun, but off to trade...

In the bottle, I thought this smelled very perfume-y. I know, I know. On, it's sort of like punch. The reddish kind, with the ice cubes made out of frozen juice.

When I first put this on, it smelled like bright, candied cherry to me, with possibly some light, chilly fir, like the first reviewer said, although I could have been influenced by her review! : ) I wore it to the movies, and as it dried, it changed to a deeper wine-like scent that reminded me of Montresor. Then it eventually ended up smelling strongly of honey and musk. I don't really like honey in my perfume so this stood out strongly to me. I also kept thinking I smelled patchouli, just small hints of it, although it is possible that someone else near me was wearing patchouli (I was at a sold-out showing of Avatar). I'm not sure if I want to try this again, because of the honey impression, but if I do, I'll come back and confirm if I smelled patchouli again or not.So my guess for notes would be.....I guess some sort of cherry wine, maybe some bright and airy fir, with honey and musk, and possibly patchouli. Cherry mead around the Christmas tree?
Weird, I didn't get honey or patchouli at all. I do get the cherry wine. Now I'm deep sniffing my wrist and I can sort of get honey with the suggestion in my mind. Cool how different things are on different people!

Bauble seems to have some of the champagne note in it that's in the three champagne blends from last year. It's bright, fizzy, clean and boozy smelling. The note really does smell just like champagne. I like this more than I liked the previous champagne blends, though. This is softened and balanced by some fruity notes and smells less like I have booze spilled on me and more perfumey and clean.

This smells like a sparkling, champagne spiked fruit punch and a hint of perfumey musk to me. It was also a bit dryer-sheet-fresh at first. It's not a sugary, cheap, red fruit punch smell to me, but a lighter and more naturally fruity smelling punch, if that makes sense.

I don't know if I can really pull off the boozy champagne note, but I kinda like this. It's fun and festive and makes me think of new year's parties...

Edited by Little Bird

There is an initial blast of pine and what smells like cleanser to me. As it stays on my skin it sweetens and mellows a bit. The pine is still dominant here, but the cleanser vibe seems to go away and I get more fruits. There is a bit of a fizzy sweetness that starts to come out. Further into the drydown I get the honeyed bit previous reviewers have mentioned. And the cherry starts to become a little more at the forefront of the scent. It's sweet and a little boozy at this point.

In the imp: Piney mintiness. I'm feeling a bit of a bite in the back of my nose. Very wintery and clean-smelling.

Wet: Still piney, but with soft edges. No more sharpness. It smells like a Christmas tree in a clean room.

Drydown: There's that honey I've heard about! Dried pine boughs with the tips dipped in honey. Very comforting and holidayesque.

Later: The evergreen scent keeps fading, and the honey is coming out stronger. I will miss the pininess, but the honey is very nice. This one's a keeper.

EDIT: I don't know what's changed, but after wearing it successfully several times, it now smells like a latrine on me. I tried wearing it more than once to make sure it wasn't a fluke. All the deliciousness is gone. Wahh! :cry:

Edited by pandorasmuse

Ayup.. this is champagne, definitely - fizzy, bright and boozy. The initial blast of champagne-i-ness dries down into a softer, fruitier smell, but the boozy fizziness sticks around. This would be one of those bright, shiny and glittery baubles on the tree :smile:

Honeyed booze in the vial and warms to a golden resin scent.

This smells like sunlight and chases away the winter chill.

I would not mind at all tracking down a couple of imps of this one.

Colourless or virtually colourless oil. Honey, fizzy champagne, and that slightly soapy (diswasher detergent) 'soda' note. Smells like a delicious cocktail.

Boozier -now I get a little juniper-y gin. This is harsher (plastic/chemical?) and more powdery-soapy; more of a bite. The honey is very rich and syrupy, heavy, as in Thaleia. Perhaps too cloying for me.

Soapy boozy gin and honey. The latter is less cloyingly sweet now, but the powder/soap from the detergent note has amped. I sort of like it in that way that I love to sniff powder detergent, but I'm not sure about it as a perfume. The sweetness of the honey clashes with it.

The drydown reminds me a lot of Golden Wave's drydown, that same gin drydown, but sweetened by honey. The champagne and soda and soap/powder are long gone; that was just a short pahse, oddly. I really want to like this one, but it's just not working for me. Low throw but great longevity.

I'm getting champagne/fizzy/frankincense? The fizzy part of it is very similar to The Magi from last year (which I remember thinking "Fizzy resins!" about), but I could be way off. This is a wonderful blend -- very bright, shiny, and happy.

This one has a strong boozy (champagne?) note. I'm tempted to say like 2008's Champagne & .... series. But it's softer and kinder. On my skin the fizzy champagne note is what overpowers all else, even while drying down. Although it's bright and fun, personally I'm not a fan of boozy scents.

Edited by ifinena

Champagne is the first thing I thought of when I sniffed this on my skin. Strawberry fizzy champagne. I also smell something like a honey note on the dry down.

On the skin: Very clean with a hint of some fruit... pear? Definitely something fizzy as well. Ooooh! And a sweetness that reminds me of honey!

I would love to have the drink version of this! Pretty good! Crazy!

-EDIT- I forgot to mention that I am not so sure about this one on my skin. It smells kinda good, but I don't think I would ever wear it.

Edited by Catseyes

:::BAUBLE:::

What an intrigue of a scent, Bauble is! Bauble also arrived as a Frimp from this past Yultide's Naughty & Nice Inquisition.

At first, Bauble brought to mind almost a yeasty, fermented spirit with berries of some sort and Lemon Rind added to deevelop the character. THere is a floral component to Bauble as well, something along the lines of Gardenia; very powerful, clear, and white.

On the skin, Bauble amps the floal note in a big way...

There is something about this that brings to mind the sort of fragrance that couuld be expected to be produced with a flourish from behind the counter at a department store, geared towards a young girl (anyone remember, "exclamation!"?). This is a fresh, young, pink scent.

Bauble is bold and sweet. This would be a good, memorable fragrance for the Holiday occasion.

I got this in a recent swap unexpectedly (I love our forumites!) and didn't realize until this morning that it was from the Inquisition. Hee!

In this vial this smells like a more childish Spiked Punch. Like the kind of red fruit punch that gives you fruit punch mouth. (Maybe I have discovered what the Master smells like from Buffy? Add in some Graveyard Dirt over Bauble!)

After a little while the initial brightness of the scent starts to fade, and it starts to smell a bit like how my husband's homemade fruit topping smells. Like mashed up berries, lemon zest and a tiny bit of sugar and honey to sweeten the deal.

It's quite cheery, and rather interesting, but I don't think it's quite for me.

:peep:

At first when I put it on, I got a blast of clean freshly bleached bathtub. It's not unpleasant, but it was weird for sure. It has a touch of citrus. And the after smell of bleach cleaner after you've washed your hands. I don't know if I like this so much. :( My skin made it go all wonky and stuff. I wish it had the fizzy champagne note that everybody else smells.

Bauble - I love love LOVE BPAL's champagne note, so I just went nuts when I smelled this. This is a beautiful, sweet champagne -- not dry at all like the champagne scents from the previous year's Yule Will Call special scents. For a brief minute, I also thought I smelled something that reminded me of 7-Up, something more sweet and lemon-limey soda-like, but that quickly faded, and what I smell is the sweet champagne note blended with sweet punch notes (although this smells nothing like Spiked Punch) like perhaps lemon, lime, and orange (???) and the faintest trace of soft, ethereal florals. This is drop-dead gorgeous. I am in love. :wub: Edited by edenssixthday

This starts out very effervescent, like gingerale, or champagne as other reviewers have noted. After a bit, it really starts to have a strong honey note come through. Kind of like a white wine with honey. Sometimes the effervescent-ness comes back, morphing between the honey/wine note. I wish it would stay in the wet stage as it's very refreshing. Very glad to have had the opportunity to try this, though!

Sweet tarts and evergreen! And, yes, I get the bubbly texture others have mentioned, at least at first. It's bright and happy and slightly alcoholic. Crisp, sophisticated, sweet-- but slightly mad. I get a similar feel as from Bon Vivant.

Fizzy gin, champagne, sweet. Maybe a slight whiff of some kind of cold note. Slightly perfumey.

I don't wear fizzy scents, personally -- they just don't suit me at all -- but this is a really good one. It's a little softer than most of them are.

Dryer sheetish/air freshener? Effervescent also in bottle.

Super soapy on skin. I've been having a string of bad Bpal luck lately.

This is just single note soap on me.