Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Wildfire

A traditional blend of woods used in Celtic pyromantic divinatory practices, updated and contemporized with the addition of a fae blend of orris essence, dragon's blood, juniper berry, and red rose.

In Bottle: Sweet floral and berries

On Skin: Wow! This is an exciting blend! Not at all what I expected, I get a deep rush of juniper berries and then the sweet Dragon’s Blood tinted with the sharp splash of rose. While it has a red note for sure, as the blend develops I get a nice fresh green note from the juniper. It is so pretty. Rarely do rose blends work on me, but for some reason this one loves me. It’s elegant and feminine, but the woods in it also give a deep earthy fresh note… so it’s also strong and substantial. About 20 minutes into the drydown, I think the rose becomes a little too strong for me. It turns the scent a bit sour. I love it in the beginning, but when the rose becomes dominant it doesn’t thrill me as much. Still a gorgeous scent and I’m keeping my imp. Average throw, short wearlength.

This is my favorite summer scent, the sage, juniper and dragons blood intertwine to create a scent that is both warming and fresh. I wish I'd bought a bottle when it was first released. Instead I'm hoarding the two imps I've managed to get a hold of. It is a truly lovely blend.

This is just weird. I swear I smell grape juice. It fades quickly on my skin. Just put it on and I can barely smell it. :P I had really hoped to like this.

Received as a frimp in a swap.

I was so excited to try this one out after reading the notes involved.........rose and dragon's blood? *swoon*

Unfortunately, from the instant I opened the imp, to the drydown, all I get is soap. Fruity soap, and quite possibly expensive soap, but soap nonetheless. So much so, it gave me a hayfever sneezing fit.

Bugger. :P

Verdict: swap pile.

Dragon's blood and rose front this violently pinkish-orange oil in the bottle. It’s very light and sweet.

On, the rose and juniper mingle in a fascinating dance. It's soapy more than perfumey, and the flowery orris isn't really helping that impression. In fact, as it dries, it loses what beauty and subtlety it had and goes straight to hand soap. This is just terrifically disappointing, as the smell had real potential in the bottle, but it's evidently NOT a match for my chemistry.

I want to love it, but I can't tell what it smells like past the soapy smell!

I received an entire bottle as a gift with a purchase. I was very surprised. It came with a reducer cap that I had a horrible time getting off, but I am persistant and finally changed lids. I had no idea what was in this but it smelled pretty good and I smeared some on. I had it on a few hours and I could smell something really good and spicy. I finally looked it up and saw that it had Dragon's Blood in it. No wonder it smells so good! Anything with Dragon's Blood in it smells fantastic on me! It's one blend I can always count on!! Far off in the background, there is a hint of a fruity blend with the barest hint of rose. I really have to search for the rose though. I am so glad that I was gifted this bottle! :P

this one starts out so beautifully, a very interesting blend. but it goes soapy after a while on my skin; such a disappointment!

i want to try it again just to be sure :P

Wildfire is red, spicy and sharp on my skin. I think it's the dragon's blood resin that kills this for me. The woods and the rose and orris are quite nice.

If you are at all a fan of dragon's blood you MUST try to track some of this down. It's really good in that respect.

Sniffed in (dry) imp: Rich rose, piney-fresh but not overly sharp juniper berry, powdery-heady orris, the fruity, slightly smoky incense of dragon's blood and deep woods. Sweet, slightly spicy, woodsy-floral.

I only have a dry sniffie of this, but I would definitely like to try a testable amount and have added it to my wishlist as such. I love most rose, and this definitely seems like one of the types I love (white can be iffy on me, which this is most certainly not, as can dried, which are too dusty). Juniper is hit or miss, and I generally like woods, provided they aren't too piney or too dry, which these didn't seem to be. I like dragon's blood in moderation. So for me the real question would be the orris, which can really amp on my skin horribly, and goes either heady or powdery or both to an overwhelming extent. But, I've been able to handle orris in some blends, and it was light in the imp, so this would just have to get tested on my skin.

ADDED March 19:

In the bottle: Pale, peachy pink oil. Green, woodsy juniper, rihe yet light rose, and hints of powdery florals (db/orris). A touch smoky/incensey, in a pleasant bonfire way.

Wet: A little more rose, but otherwise similar. Surprisingly light in feel and throw, considering the bold notes. It *is* fae. Slightly soapy, more powdery from the orris. Slightly smoky resin, juniper, and rose dominate.

Dry: Slow to dry, with juniper, resin, and rose holding. But there's also something vaguely citrusy here, green and bright - geranium? The orris is amping, and in combo with D'sB increasing the powdery effect.

Later: The rose is going that dried-rose, slightly powdery way - not the unpleasant soap-powdery way, but that slightly crumbly dried petal way.

Summary: Rich, soft, crumbling dried rose petals and powdery orris & floral dragon's blood, over light, smoky resin and faint green juniper. Complex and well balanced. Decent throw, great longevity.

Not my thing, but I understand why it's so coveted.

Freshly applied, juniper and dragon's blood. I like juniper, but I ordinarily hate dragon's blood. However, the dragon's blood in this smells smooth and resinous instead of over-the-top sickly sweet cherry-floral. I actually like it! I'm guessing that this is an effect of aging, since this oil is four years old and thus probably the oldest BPAL I've tried. Hmm...I may have to try aging some of those other dragon's blood blends I don't like.

As this dries I get more rose coming out, and it's the kind of rose that doesn't like my skin, unfortunately. Sharp soapy rose, with dragon's blood and juniper. Wish there were more juniper or orris - I don't pick up any orris.

I wouldn't wear this as perfume, but it's not bad, really, despite the soapiness - it's sweet, herbal and sort of mysterious. Glad I got to try it.

Again, this one has dragon's blood in it - but at the beginning there's the DB and a scorched kind of hay smell to it. This softens to florals. I don't actually get a 'rose' impression from the florals. I do get a bit of a 'gin' smell from the juniper berries.

You remember that discontinued massage bar from Lush called It's a Pleasure, Treasure? Remember the majority's opinion? And all the Lushies sing, "It's a taco, Paco!!" Wildfire is like that. It's corn chips on my skin at first, which isn't altogether unpleasant. I'm not surprised I feel this way, seeing as Fritos are my favorite chip. Anyway, it mellows out into something quite floral and playful. I suppose it's the dragon's blood, though no other perfume with dragon's blood in it pleases me this much. I'm not "wild" to have a bottle, but given some spare cash and the opportunity, I wouldn't say no.

Ok, this is my first review ever so bear with me...

Sniffing out of the bottle this reminds me of Fairy Wine, but less of a wine note and I guess more amped up berry- I'm also getting the hint of dragons blood peeping out beneath the woods. In regards to the woods, its just a hint of them. I'm so glad it wasn't strong like fir or cedar. When applied the scent gets just a touch more juicer and the berries are more in pronounced. Also Im not picking up on the rose quality, though I kind of wish it was there because I like roses.

The scent itself reminds me of campfire nights, sitting in the woods and letting the steam from mulled wine warm you up. I think its definitely a dry scent and perfect for the cooler weather. I'll be reaching for this as the weather get chillier. Overall I'm really enjoying this and might be needing a backup bottle.

Edited by teanicole

I tried Wildfire 2010. The smell did not remind me of wildfire, or even a controlled burn. I did not detect wood or smoke or anything fire-related. What it did bring to mind was rubber, and a sort of "off" rubber smell at that. I suspect it was the dragon's blood and/or rose that produced this effect, but I'm not good enough at singling out notes to say for sure. Anyway, I didn't care for it at all.

I will have to give Wildfire 2010 points for longevity, though. Eight hours later I could still smell it on my arms.

I was expecting smoke & woods & burning things. What do I get? Dragon's blood. Cloyingly sweet dragon's blood. And soap. Light soap at first, drying down to fancy hotel bathroom soap. Off to the swap box!

Wildfire 2010 is clean, soapy dragon's blood. I get no smoke, no scorching, no gin. Just straight up DB. It's clean, floral and slightly spicy.

EPIC. FAIL.

This ends up being a DBR dominant blend. I get some dusty orris and a bit of powdery, sour rose in the background. Not really my cuppa tea.

I was so excited about this one, but alas, on me it's nothing but roses. Roses, roses, roses, and then after about an hour it turns into sweeter (could that be the dragon's blood?) roses. I quite like roses, but this far they've never worked for me in perfumes.

Keep: No

I get pure, bossy dragon's blood from this when I open the imp - red, fiery, assertive! And like it always does, it smells a little soapy and rather chemical on me - traits that are only amped by the rose. But the juniper (and maybe the orris?) renders it oddly cool, even while it's red and hot. The rose grows more dominant as this sits on my skin, and like always, I get the image of the little rose-shaped soaps that sat in my grandmother's guest bathroom. Strong throw, lots of airy redness - I suspect this one hits a very particular button for those who like it.

I don't know what it is about my skin, but it devours the oils I want to love. :rantrave: I get that first burst of spicy non-descript bpal... and then nothing. Maybe a little bit of the woodsy, piny smell, but that's it. Poof, gone, in less than two hours.

:( I'll have to try again in different places on my body. If I get any results I'll be sure to edit this post.

The worst part, for me, is that I don't get even a sniff of rose! I was hoping this would be 'tintagel + roses', as someone described, but alas. No!

Edited by gniwle

Sniffed: Bright, sharp, red rose/dragon's blood and light woods. A bit perfumy...

On skin: Woah, at first the pale woods are sharp and the rose and dragon's blood are bright and intense. Maybe there's a bite of juniper in there. The sharpness settles quickly after drydown, and the woods retreat into the backdrop, showcasing the clear, bright red rose and dragon's blood, which must make up the "fire". Overall a very light woody blend touched with rose and dragon's blood, somewhat timid and unobtrusive. Colour impression is a pale, clear red bleeding into light brown.

Verdict: While Wildfire is a pleasant enough blend, I'm disappointed by the lightness and lack of character. A bit dull, I'd say, and I have better blends to wear.

I'm always iffy with Dragon's Blood. I loved it in Dragon's Milk and Dragon's Musk, but it seems to overpower a lot of other blends with a piercing cherry-floral most of the time. This is no different. It's very sweet and soapy rose and it's giving me a headache. :(

In the bottle it smells like a forest filled with wildflowers drenched in rainwater after a storm. Sweet and soapy.

On me it’s much stronger and sharp, very woody at first but as it dries down, the rose and berry come out nicely. Sweet, clean, bitter and oaky all blending nicely together.

Edit: Just got a HUGE headache, not sure if the scent or something else :(

Edited by Lilly