Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of warm, glowing jack o’lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.

One of my absolutely favorite scents. I like to call it my bottle of Pumpkin Squee. :P

Mmmmm, so buttery sweet and, erm, pumpkiny :D

Ooh! Oh my god is this yummy! It's like pumpkin plus buttered popcorn. The spices are hiding out under there, and I can smell just a hint of the peach. This is delicious and makes me want to eat my arm.

Score: 5 out of 5

In the vial: Really gross -- like a glob of butter with a bit of spice thrown in. I don't even like butter on my bread, much less my wrists.

After application: Well, Beth proved me wrong. This smells really good. I'm not much for foody scents, but this somehow works: while there is a definite smell of cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin to this blend, it is also evocative of fall on the whole in a really neat way.

In addition to smelling nice, this has a good throw. A lovely fall blend that is luckily available year round.

Overall: 8/10

Edited by komalow

This is truly the loveliest pumpkin scent I have ever sniffed! :D This was one of my first BPAL loves, and I use my 5 ml frequently. This a fruity/pumpkin scent, although right out of the bottle it smells really buttery. After applied, it dries down to a peachy/pumkin scent with just a hint of nutmeg in the background. My skin pulls out quite a bit of the peach, and therefore this is similar to the Pumpkin Patch scent with pomegranate. This is truly a noble tribute to one of my favorite characters, The Pumpkin King Jack. But, I also think this would be a perfect scent for Captain Jack Sparrow, from Pirates of the Carribbean. (Sorry, I'm a shameless Johnny Depp fan!! :P )

A gorgeous blend, I hope it never gets discontinued since it will always be in my regular catalogue 5 ml collection. :D

A strong creamy pumpkin with a deep spice, a spice that creeps out to the front as it dries on the skin. An autumn walk in liquid form.

Jack is everything that I was hoping Gingerbread Poppet would be. Absolutely delicious-warm, spicy and most importantly, subtle. I don't actually get much pumpkin, but I love it nonetheless.

One of the first imps of BPAL I have tried, and wow, simply wow.

Pumpkin, spicy, buttery, sweet, foody, absolutely yummy. I need this in a bigger bottle. Perfect for this time of year. I just know this is going to be a favorite. :P

Ah, Jack. *hugs her little imp*

Jack is such a lovely harvest scent. On me, the peach becomes the most dominant note, though the harvesty goodness that the nutmeg and the clove bring on is still present.

The first time I tried Jack, it was so rich and buttery that I felt nauseous and tucked it away. I finally decided to go back to it after my fiance turned me on to the deliciousness of pumpkin pie, and I am glad I gave this little imp another chance!

Jack is all buttery, creamy pumpkin and bright, sweet peach on me. No spice, no complications; just gooey, orange goodness.

It has amazing throw and staying power, and can be a little strong, but at this time of year it is such a perfect scent to delicately dab onto my wrists. :P

Oh, lord. I was hoping this one wouldn't disappointment, as dear Jack is the reason I was really prompted to place an imp pack order, and I knew when I got them and hurried to my most anticipated precious and sniffed the cap that I was going to be in love.

In the bottle Buttered popcorn, as someone said. I consider that a good thing, so I wanted to eat it all. Definite peach, but not a lot of spice.

On Hasn't changed much since it was wet. Very peachy on me, but I get a different spice scent each time I smell it, and there's some pumpkin there, too. Absolutely gorgeous.

I may need a bottle of this.

I love spicy, foody smells, so this was part of my first Lab order... I love it! It's pure spice on me the minute I put it on - first nutmeg, then cloves... As it dries, the scent is more evenly blended. The spices recede a bit, which is too bad, but still a wonderful, spicy scent with a hint of pumpkin.

Edited by mtlaise

The first thing I did was sniff the imp. At first, I smelled butter and rum. I closed my eyes and sniffed again; this time, I smelled flowers. So far, I was delighted, so I applied some to my left wrist.

At first, all I smelled was cinnamon. Some of the oil had leaked when I closed the imp, so I'd wiped a smear of that on my right wrist. Interesting. The left wrist, with its heavy smear, smelled like straight cinnamon, while my right wrist (with it's light smear) smelled almost entirely of butter.

During the first stages of the drydown, Jack still smelled strongly of cinnamon, but the cloves and nutmeg were making an appearance. Lovely. I was surrounded by an aura of pumpkin pie.

Now, a few hours later, Jack is still present, but now he's smelling softly of peach, clove, and nutmeg. I'm very happy with this.

In the imp: spicy pumpkin goodness

Initial application: the spiciness takes over the pumpkin, a really delicious blend perfect for the season.

Drydown: alas, the pumpkin doesn't last nearly as long as I would have liked it to, and after a while the cloves turn it musty. Still, the smell of it in the imp and just after application more than makes up for it.

Smiley rating: :P

It smells lovely. I adore this particular scent.

Just not on me. I felt like a candle. Or pumpkin pie. Something like that.

I think I'll keep this one for an oil diffuser, but I won't be wearing it. (It was fun to wear for Halloween, though!)

Jack is absolutely wonderful. I liked it more than any of the PP! It's in my top three. It's sweet and foody but refreshing too because of the spices. Also, from time to time, I can REALLY pick out the fresh peach scent. Might smell 'fake' to some because it's so sugary? Someone compared it to Yankee Sampler, but it's all the best things about YS and a compliment to YS too! I ADORE Jack!

When I first slathered this on, taking the pumpkin note for granted, I was worried at first: there's a VERY intense peach note that tops this one off -- true peach, tangy and bright. GLOWING is the absolutely right word for that note. Then came the nutmeg.

After about five minutes though, the pumpkin and clove pop up, and send me absolutely over the moon for this scent. It smells like fresh, warm pumpkin pie, but it smells more like an autumn kitchen -- that first waft of pies as the oven opens. It's not so foody that it's cloying, but it's absolutely gorgeous and delicious. I think the "murky" clove saves the day. :P

About 3-4 hours later, I have to re-apply, BUT things fade on me fast. I would call that staying power on me. This moves to the top of my 5ml Wishlist!

Bottle: buttery nutty sweet

Wet: maintains that buttery sweet, almost hazelnut smell

Dry: gets a little dusty on me, I almost smell a little sandalwood? Caramel?

This wasn't what I expected, and may very well be my skin chemistry. I was hoping for a little more of a pumpkin pie smell to this blend, but again that may just be how this is morphing on my skin. I much preferred the pumpkin note in Samhain.

In the imp: Buttery pumpkin and spices :P

On my skin: Hey, where did the buttery pumpkin go? :D I'm getting peach and spices. It smells wonderful, but really different than it smelled in the imp. There is absolutely no trace of butter or pumpkin. My freaky skin chemistry strikes again.

Through the drydown, Jack is sweet fresh peach with an accent of of clove and nutmeg. I am a little disappointed that I don't get any pumpkin, but I really like the scent that I do get. Jack is a perfect warm, comforting, cool-weather scent. :D

Edited by evilmistressoftoast

This is a very nice scent, but I don't love it as a perfume. I once had a candle from Illuminations (called Pumpkin, they release it every year) that smelled *exactly* like it, so that's what it reminds me of. It's nice, but too room-sprayish for perfume. Will be using it as a room scent, for sure.

Edited by talula_fairie

In the vial this is very buttery, slightly spicy. Once it hits my skin the butter disappears completely and it's all pumpkin spices. Never did smell any peach. After some time passes Jack takes on a dusty feel that I don't really like. I wanted to like Jack but it's not meant to be!

I'm one of those freaks that actually LIKES the buttery smell, so I wasn't taken aback when I opened my imp and the smell of melted butter wafted out. Then I put it on my skin. The pumpkin appears, its very light, followed by clove and nutmeg, which my nose misreads as cinnamon. But then 20 minutes later, the pumpkin is gone. Poof. Not a trace left on my wrists. I'm still getting pumpkin on my inner elbow, but that's not where I want it to be. Boo. However, what's left of the scent smells really good, and I'll keep my imp but i may not get a full bottle. I have Bengal and Faustus for my cinammon/spicey kicks.

Imp: Buttery with a hint of spice

Wet: The butter scent sort gives way to the spice, with the result that Jack becomes spicy and sweet and feels like warmth.

Dry: Much spicier now and I can also pick up a trace of the pumpkin and a hint of peach –it’s like a spicy pumpkiny March Hare.

I’m very fond of Jack. I don’t smell an “In Your Face” food smell, but rather the idea of pumpkin. I think Jack smells sort of like the idea of a cold autumn night spent in front of the fire with apple cider.

In the imp: Butter. And popcorn. Buttered popcorn. Where in the world is that coming from? I can practically hear the oil sizzling.

Wet: I almost didn't try it on, but all the glowing reviews convinced me otherwise. There's still the butter as the predominant note… very, very thick. A little bit of peach, with its sweetness cut by the clove, but I only get that with a realllly deep whiff. Where's the pumpkin? Ooooh, there's the nutmeg. And we're… back to butter.

Dry: At a distance, it's all spiced peach cider. Yummy! Up close, I can still get a few whiffs of the detested buttered popcorn. After about ten minutes, the cider fades away and I'm back to popcorn and… smoke? It smells like dry woodsmoke. Would that be the clove?

Conclusions: I absolutely ADORE the cider stage this scent warps through. Even more than Samhain, that's the scent of autumn nights to me (warm, in front of a crackling fire). It's too bad this scent has to go through the popcorn phase before it gets to the cider. Plus, the cider doesn't last long enough to make the wait worthwhile. This one's going into the swaps pile, but I'll definitely be testing more Lab oils with nutmeg!