Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of warm, glowing jack o’lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.

Can't wear it. SOOOOO disappointed! My skin amps the butter to a nauseating degree. :P Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: Spicy butter. Very overpowering, eugh.

Wet: Buttery, spicy, nutty... and something vegetal and sharp which gives a general result of pumpkin pie smell, I'm guessing (we don't have it over here).

Drydown: I can smell the peaches now, the scent is mostly spicy peaches and pumpkin pie. It's quite a complex mix, both sweet and slightly green. There's something very warm and spicy about it, very homey. Actually there's even a waxy scent to it that's reminiscent of candles.

Overall: This is my second try of Jack, the first went really badly - it made me feel sick and smelled nearly exclusively of butter. The second try was better, it developed various rather interesting scents, spices, peaches and something that vaguely resembles pumpkin. But still, I'm not in love with Jack. It would probably smell good as a candle, but I don't recognise pumpkin here.

In the bottle: All buttery.. spiced.. pumpkin..

Wet: This is a potent brew.. all Autumn Spice with something hidden in the darkness. It lingers and catches you unaware, though its strong while wet. It reminds me of the wet leaves under autumn rains.. all clinging to one another.. rot.. rebirth.

Drydown: Its like being wrapped in your favorite sweatshirt while walking down your street with that 3am Autumn Fog and the stars bright above.. Jack O Lanterns lit and glowing menacingly from porches. Comforting and less sharp, while still managing to catch you unawares.

Overall: I adore this scent. Huge compliments when I wear it.. "mmms" as my friends lean in for a sniff or wonder who smells so good when we gather. This is my first 10ml order.

I think I originally ordered an imp of Jack because it was autumn and I wanted to see how it would compare to Samhain; some people seemed to love Samhain but not Jack, and others seemed to love both. I've had the opposite result: Jack agrees with me, but Samhain does not.

In the imp, Jack was very buttery, which had me worried, but as it dried, the butter calmed down and the cloves and spices came out more. It smells very much like a scented candle to me, but in the best way, which is why it's something I could imagine wearing again. Best of all, it stayed nice on my skin after drydown.

Since Samhain, Sugar Skull and Devil's Night didn't work on me, Jack is my frontrunner for an autumn scent (although who knows what might come out that's new in the fall). It's nice.

Jack

In the imp: Whoa. BUTTER!!!!!!!!! it screams at me. spice it murmurs.

wet on my skin: I smell a generic pumpkin pie spice, overlaid with extremely rude and bumptious butteroid scent. It's simultaneously sweet and buttery.

Dry: The butter dies a dramatic death. Good riddance. The spice is still there, with a definite pumpkin note. I can smell the peach too, that's pretty nice. BUt overall... not nice AT ALL.

Jack is a jerk.

Mmmmmm...hot, spicy, pumpkin cookies, fresh and full of butter right out of the oven. I have to be in the mood to wear this (not on a warm day :P ), but in fall and winter I can see me reaching for this imp. It's lovely, but because it's fragrance is so specialized, I will wear it only on those chilly days when I want something comforting. All in all, it's an amazing mix.

I've been on the fence about trying Jack since my first BPAL order -- many thanks to itbelikethat on LJ for including it with my bottle of Gypsy Queen!

In the vial: Pure popcorn butter. I did have certain reservtions about smelling like butter.

Drydown: Peaches! And cloves! Oh, the fruity spicy love.

Dry: Oh, and here is the butter again, and the pumpkin, finally, puts in an appearance. Now this is making me hungry, and getting me noticed -- lots of oooooh what is that smell?

After some hours: Wow, this stuff is still going strong. I'm impressed.

I do believe I'll be enjoying my imp very much, and if I ever get an oil burner set up I'll simply have to have a big bottle of this, I think. It's just so very yummy.

Jack surprised me. I don't do well with fruits, and the idea of smelling like a pumpkin really didn't grab me. I hadn't read any reviews of it- it simply never sounded interesting enough to bother- and I really wasn't expecting any buttery aroma. However, I imp-sniffed and thought... hmm? Buttery gingerbread? Interesting!

On the skin the butter stays but the spice comes out strongly, and a wonderful sweet clear peach. And the butter smell is really a great one on me- delicious, not cloying. I can't believe it! A fruit smell that didn't immediately sour on me. Wow.

I still don't get a "jack-o-lantern" idea from this but oh, man, it's just the perfect thing for long rainy Northwest winters. Seratonin in a bottle. It's pitch dark and pouring outside as it has been for almost forty straight days, and wrapping myself in a lap blanket and reading while slathered with Jack sounds perfect.

Truly a wonderful surprise. I didn't expect much of anything, and instead it's amazing. Cool!

5 out of 5.

In the bottle: Buttery Pumpkin and a touch of clove.

Wet: BUTTER, bleh!

Dry down: Pumpkin pie spice, and a touch of clove, and waaaaay too much butter. Damn

I was hoping this would be more of a pumpkin scent.

I couldn't even try this one on the skin. In the imp, it was overwhelmingly rancid butter and it made me gag. I was looking forward to trying a pumpkin blend, since I have no idea what such a thing would smell like, but this was just too much butter for me.

My two cents!

In the vial

I actually physically recoiled when I sniffed at the imp. It smelled (smelt? Both look wrong!) overwhelmingly of clove - and I happen to like clove, but there was something feral about this.

My boyfriend heard me carrying-on and came to sniff it for himself, so I made him my guinea pig. He kept compulsively sniffing at the imp until I put some on him.

Wet

BOYFRIEND

(sniffing)

It smells like... like some sort of lolly [candy]!

ME

(sniffing him)

It does too!

BOYFRIEND

I know it... what is it... some kind of JellyBelly Bean!

ME

Yeah yeah! It's... oh... BUTTERED POPCORN!

Dry

On my boyfriend Jack dried to a warm peach with a shot of pumpkin. It was quite delicious. I kept compulsively grabbing at his wrist and neck to sniff at him. After a rocky start, I think we both ended up fond of Jack!

Edited by Ishbel

I just tried Jack, and it's... well, I like it, though it smells a tad more spice than pumpkin- more candle than pie. I thought "It needs vanilla!" so I put on some Antique Lace, and I'm not even sure what that did. If I smell my wrists I smell pumpkin, but sitting here typing I smell mostly Antique Lace and a very small amount of Jack. It's a nice combination though, to go from sweet to spicy whiffs.

I hope Jack mellows down a bit later, though, because it's a smidge too strong for me right now.

I'd use it a lot I think if it were autumn right now, which sadly it isn't. Probably won't wear it much any other season.

initial application is pumpkin and vanilla....this reminds me slightly of trick or

treat.....which is one of my favs, btw :D

after awhile jack fades tremendously and i get that same note or component

that i got from bon vivant....almost a dough-like aroma....reminds

me of something white and powdery aka dough.... :D

shuckers.....i wanted to love jack too :P

Adding my 2 cents:

I, too, wanted to like it.

I, too, was overwhelmed by this scent--and not in a good way. The major impression I get is buttered popcorn (perhaps, as someone else mentioned, buttered pumpkin seeds?). And, for some reason I can't really explain, that's a lot more off-putting (to me) than it sounds.

Since a lot of other people seem to like this one, I recommend trying an imp's ear first--because it seems like, if you don't like it, you REALLY won't.

Loved some of the others, but this one just did not work for me.

LJ

Edit: Screwed my courage to the sticky place and tried this on skin--butter tone disappears immediately, leaving strong spice. Still not a fan, but nowhere near as harsh as the initial impression suggests.

Edited by Little John

So many people seem to absolutely adore Jack that I was quite excited to get a frimp in my last order. And while there may be lots of Jack-loving people out there, I am equally assured I'll never be one of them. Something about the scent of actual raw pumpkin innards makes me extremely queasy; I've been known to throw up while hollowing out the jack o'lantern. Jack apparently replicates that scent perfectly. I admire the artistry, but I had to fight to get the imp closed before my pumpkin-induced nausea reached the vomiting level.

Oh well. Now I know to stay far, far away from anything BPAL containing pumpkin.

Jack ITB: buttery and sweet.

On: spicier butter, no pumpkin as yet.

Dry: Never did get any pumpkin. The spice faded away and this ended up a very buttery, slightly sweet scent on me, almost like caramel.

Jack

Whoa, butter! followed by pumpkin, a hint of fruit and a little spice. Nice! Not a perfume I'd wear but would be an interesting scent for an oil burner. I was impressed by the authenticity of the butter scent!

Oh, Jack, sweet Jack, why do you not last on me?

This stuff astonished my ex-boyfriend. He couldn't understand how I could put something on and it would smell like wonderful buttery pumpkin for a few minutes, and then immediately become straight, sweet spiced cider. Which, of course, is what it does, changing utterly and immediately. I love both scents a lot, though I wish the buttery, caramel-y pumpkin part would last just a bit longer, or shade more obviously into the cider. The only trouble is that it doesn't stick around on my skin for very long. I'll still eventually order a 5ml, but must get out of the current financial horror before that. As long as I can get it in time for Autumn, I'll be all right.

:P Jack is not really one of my favorites. A little too strong on the outset for me. Could smell it in the room for hours.

Maybe someone could suggest something similar but not quite overpowering?

Imp: Sweet, spicy, and a bit creamy. I don't get the buttery scent that others have noted. Puts me in mind, honestly, of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I typically like foody smells, so I'm going to give it a go.

Wet: Pumpkin and spice. I definitely start to pick up on the peach--it mellows the clove and nutmeg, which could turn the whole thing into pumpkin bread in a heartbeat. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but the peach rounds out the notes and gives the scent a depth beyond "mmmm--cake!".

Dry: Pumpkin and peach did NOT sound like they'd work together well, but they do. Oh, do they ever. Sweet and a little tart, with nutmeg to blur the edges and just enough clove to give a little bite to it. NOT a year-round fragrance, but definitely one I'll wear in the autumn and winter, especially when I'd like a little comfort. 5ml will be a certainty.

This is strong and foody. I didn't get any pumpkin out of this- mostly there is something like cookie batter or butter. The cinnamon comes out a bit too. It's overwhelming and not entirely pleasant, and it lasts forever.

This smells exactly like my husband's aunt's pumpkin pies. Now, I like to eat those, but I really don't want to go out smelling like them, and I'm not fond enough of pumpkin smell for keeping it as a home scent, so... off to the swap pile.

If you're into pumpkin smell, though, check it out.

I'd heard some bad things about Jack, so I was a little aprehensive about it, but I completely love it. It smells like sweet, clove-y butter in the imp, but the butter lets up once it's on my skin, and it becomes a really nice spice sweetened by the peach and mellowed by the butter. I didn't ever get a distinct pumpkin, but I think it was there underneath the butter, giving it a kind of nuttiness. I put it on at 7pm, and when I woke up at nine it was still there, but it was mostly peach with just a little spice and butter. Jack rocks.

Oh Jack, how I wanted to love you! Your buttery goodness fills my imp box, but alas, when I put you on, something very bad happens about 20-30 minutes later. I think it's the peach. Whatever it is, it turns to plastic and nasty chemicals on my skin. However, it loved my daughter.

In the bottle: rich creamy buttery goodness.

Wet: butter and pumpkin spice. Yum! :D

Dry down: butter starts to fade and the peach comes out to play. I get peach and spice going at it while pumpkin watches in voyeuristic fashion.

30 minutes: peach and pumpkin with spice. The butter really has left the building folks. I really like this. Talk about having a perfume that I can have Hallowe'en all year round!

Conclusion: in the end this faded down to peach. But it took hours to do so. Great lasting power and throw. Very comforting.I love this, I think I will have to get a big bottle. :P

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 4.5.