Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of warm, glowing jack o'lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.

I've never smelt pumpkin scented anything (besides the real thing!) as it's not exactly a common scent over here. And I've never seen let alone smelt a pumpkin pie. So I had no idea if I'd like this or not, but in the interests of experimentation I had to try it. Besides, I love nutmeg and clove.

I have no idea if it's an accurate replicaton of a pumpkin pie, but it's definitely foody. Warm and buttery with a touch of spice and fruit. I'm not a foody person but this is rather nice as it's not over the top foody. I just wish the clove was more prominant for me.

I'm keeping the imp for cold winter days and nights as it's very snuggly and comforting indeed.

wet it is a glorious, nutty toffee. mmmmm........

dry? peach. specifically dollar store peach potpourri. meh. :P

if only i could figure a way to keep it wet. wet jack.

I was hoping for a great fall kind of scent, with all the requisite spices; maybe something along the lines of Bath & Body Works "Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin". The initial impression of Jack was a much more foodie, far less spiced scent.

in the imp: Home decor creamy pumpkin candle. I can see where people are referencing the butter.

wet: more foodie candle. fairly strong scent, but not so much as Gluttony. Not so much spice, more of a buttery creamy vanilla.

dry: vanilla candle; burning. And that's all. Very creamy vanilla with just a hint of some kind of smokiness that I associate with burning candles.

It's a nice scent, maybe as a room fragrance, just like the candles it reminds me so much of. Unfortunately, on me(after about three minutes), it's only vanilla. And then it's gone.

I have absolutely no idea why this one has taken me so long to try, since it's been on my list since I started getting into BPAL two years ago. Foody blends are usually disasters on me, though, so we'll see how this goes.

In the Imp: The oil is a nice color, at the very least! It's a pretty shade of gold, and, sniffing from the wand, it smells like.... it smells like.... oh God that's familiar, what does that smell like? This is painful. Give me a second...... AHA! I know! It smells like buttered popcorn Jelly Bellies, that's what it smells like! With a little bit of spice and a little bit of peach. Almost exactly. Wow, that's uncanny. Mmm. Delicious.

Wet: Smells like peaches, and pumpkin, and delicious spicy things, and dust! Oh, that's so-- wait a minute. Dust? *sniffs again* Yeah, dust. And playdough. Like someone's making a pie from really yummy things, but the crust is sawdust and playdough. Hang on, this sounds familiar.... oh, son of a beach! This is going to go the way of Misk U on me, isn't it? It'll turn into bitter, gross playdough and the smell of underneath beds. Great.

Dry: Nowhere near as bad as Misk U, but definitely the same feel of mouth-watering goodness oppressed and occluded by heavy dust and playdough. Le sigh. I'm starting to think I need to invest in a scent locket.

Edited by WidgetAlley

In the vial, this smelt like butter to me, weirdly. But once I applied it, I was hit by a gorgeous scent of peach with a small amount of pumpkin. After a while, it's settled down into a spicy peachy pumpkin, and it's GOOD. :P

In the bottle: Like a sweetly spiced berry pie. I'm not getting pumpkin from this one, more the peach.

Wet: Mmm- lovely. My boyfriend commented that it is like strawberries, and I've no idea where we're getting this from, but I agree with him. Spicy, wintry fruit pie.

Dry: On the dry down it is lovely, a long lasting spice scent. One for the bottle list, and from a frimp at that! Hurrah! Thanks Beth & Lab guys :P

Really worth a 9/10

Edited by PurpleHeather

The initial note was delicous, warm and foody, but in a matter of seconds all the spice turned to a horrible toasty/burnt smell that lasted for hours and tickled my sinuses. :P

Totally thought I had reviewed this one, but I guess not!

In the imp it smelled totally lovely, warm and spicy and pumpkiny, but sadly it doesn't agree with my chemistry at all. About ten minutes after application it starts to smell rather greasy and fake. I've passed on the imp to someone else.

Wish it worked -- guess I'll just have to stick with Pumpkin Queen!

In the bottle: Oh, GoD, this is beautiful and delightful and just altogether delicious. I get an overwhelming sense of autumnal spices from breathing this in. It reminds me of our house in autum and early winter, when mom would put some spices on to simmer and fill the whole house with a delicious smell.

First application: I smell exactly like the bottle, now. I keep waving my wrists near my face and thinking how wonderfully edible I smell.

Drying, first dried: I tell one of my friends about the scent at work, who leans in and exclaims "Delightfully musky!" I have to agree. The spice has deepened... maybe I smell like someone who's been making pumpkin pie all day.

After most of a day: This smell doesn't drift, if that makes any sense. It hovers very close to the skin, clinging, and isn't easily detectable after most of a day has worn on. However, if I move a few strands of hair behind my ear, I get a faint (and powdery) reminder of those spices.

Overall impression: A damned fine scent that should always be on hand in imp form, at least. In fact, I might even invest in a whole bottle just to use for household purposes. Mmm.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

In the imp: Buttered-popcorn Jelly Bellies.

Wet: YAAGH! I see I have found the less-pricey GC equivalent to the peaches'n'cream-oatmeal note that attacks my nostrils in Pumpkin Queen. I get the nutmeg, especially at the beginning, but otherwise it's all fake peach. At least my wallet should be safe this October...?

:P

I thought this one would be a good one to try with my new orange and navy top. (I thought wrong)

In the imp: I can smell a little of the warm pumpkin, but on top of it is something almost unpleasantly sharp and green. Maybe that's a top note which will fade and leave just the warm pumpkin.

Wet: On no! The sharp green quickly morphs into paint thinner. I try to wait for the dry down, but the smell is so strong and makes me so ill that I have to wash it off.

Oh well, I guess this one isn't for me.

In The Vial: Spicy. Cloves and nutmeg in a big way. A hint of pumpkin.

On Wet: The spices come out thicker here, with the pumpkin taking on a robust body. I can see where people have compared it to that 'pumpkin pie' candle scent but it never goes that 'fake' on me, but it comes dangerously close. The peaches never really appear -- not as an identifiable note, anyway.

On Dry: This evens out to smelling like warm autumn evenings -- spiced food, thick and heavy and warm and indulgent. This is absolutely going on the buy list and becoming my autumn scent for Sept-Oct, taking over the summer 'daily wear' from Jezebel (which is summery-spice with orange blossoms).

In the imp:

Mmmm, pumpkin pie.

Wet:

Spiced cookies! After a minute or two, I can make out hints of the peach as well. Totally foody. A little bit longer, and I smell a STRONG butter scent, and maybe burning leaves? The buttery/burning smell is *almost* strong enough to be unpleasant for a few minutes, but then it evens out and I am smelling yummy, buttery, spiced pumpkin pie.

Dry:

Sweet, creamy, buttery pumpkin. I am a fan of foody blends, and I love this.

I got an imp of this the other day and I love it.

I think my skin sucks up any pumpkin notes because so far, any of them I have tried, the second it touches my skin, the pumpkin is nowhere to be seen!

This goes all peachy/ clove on me. Reminds me a lot of March hare (which I adore).

The peach is much stronger than the clove, but I can still detect a hint of it.

Definite :P

:P

mmmk. so this is a lovely little foody scent that smells, on me, like buttery, pumpkin, clovery, cookies. A delish mix.

Wet: pumpkin is strong, and the cloves are right there behind it. the butter smell comes skipping along afterward, and smacks you in the face gently. :D

On Skin: I'm getting pumpkin and butter...which ends up smelling like one of those pumpkin rolls...licking lips...so.hungry.now.

Drydown: The staying power of this is intense. Mr. Seven kept sniffing my wrist telling me I was edible. Strong throw. Same smell as on skin...just pumpkin, clove, and a touch of butter ginger.

Amazing.

This definitely smells like an autumn yankee candle to me, but in a good way. Like if you take the candle and take the wax out of it and just have the oil. That's what it smells like to me.

Hmm, I think I like pumpkin as a note. Jack doesn't really work on me though - it starts out with an abundance of clove that is too reminiscent of a craft store for me to enjoy the juicy richness of the overall blend, and then dries down to a very waxy smell on me.

I have high hopes for other pumpkin blends, though. :P

Edited by maribouquet

I got a sniffie of this frimped in a swap, took a whif and said 'nah, foody, foody baaad for Dixie' and put it away in the swap box. Then last weekend while the Halloweenie update stalking party was going on, I pulled it out and coaxed enough scent to put on my wrist. OMGWTFBBQ. The pumpkin and peach are so nicely balanced by the spices that I CAN ACTUALLY WEAR IT. And love it. I just ordered an imp to be sure it isn't a fluke, but this may end up being a go-to scent for autumn. Right now I am :P me some Jack.

in the bottle butter, butter, butter, and a little something else that smells almost, but not quite, like popcorn.

wet on skin the clove comes out to play and picks up the peach on its way. the nutmeg is a fairly small note. i LOVE this phase of jack.

dry on skin the buttery smell (which i guess is actually the pumpkin) is gone and the peach and spices are throwing a party.

two hours later the nutmeg is gone completely, but the peach is still lingering slightly and the clove has no intention of ever going home.

my caveat: i don't know whether i matured or jack did, but this smelled like burning garbage, possibly carrion and cabbage, when i first sniffed the imp a year ago. i hated it. my family hated it. my daughter wore it on halloween to smell more like a filthy pirate. and she reeked. i was bashing jack in someone else's journal and decided to go give it a whiff, to remind myself of how completely nasty it was. only it wasn't. it was wonderful and glorious and i used up the imp within the next month after that. it is my signature BPAL scent at this point. or would be, if i had any left. i'm waiting for a 5ml. bottle from the lab and preparing myself for the possibility that it won't be nice when i get it and i might have to wait a few months before i can wear it again.

edited to change format

Edited by ravenfeathers

BUTTER BUTTER BUTTER BUTTER

A strong, fake butter smell, too, or what happens when you melt butter in your microwave and it ends up vaporizing. This stuff is so strong that it has scented my entire closet from inside the imp, and a tiny dab on my wrist is completely overwhelming.

So, butter. I can smell brown sugar in there, too, and maybe a tiny bit of clove. But there's absolutely no pumpkin, which leaves me with a wrist that smells exactly like cookie dough before you add the flour. The peach comes in very, very lightly after it's all dried down, but it's still knocked flat by the butter which never really quiets down, even after settling a bit.

I actually like this quite a lot, once I get past the BUTTER BUTTER stage that lasts about an hour and a half. But even then, it's so foody that I wouldn't want to wear it unless I were cooking, and then it would blend in with the kitchen smells. Not particularly autumnal, and unfortunately nothing like pumpkin.

Jack

This is delicious. It smells like an Autumn dessert, baked sweet pumpkin and peach in spices. It's everything it promises to be. Certainly a late September through early November feel; it makes me want to go out to an apple orchard to pick apples fresh off of the trees for some seasonal baking.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

5 : This is very nice!

In the bottle: buttery bread or something

wet on skin: butter.

dry: It smells kinda like a baked good. The pumpkin is there but not overwhelming. It does kinda smell like a jack o lantern after it's been out all night with a candle in it.

This isn't terrible, but I'm not sure yet if I love it or hate it.

Jack was my first BPAL fragrance, and I was immediately in LOVE with it!!!!

In the bottle: Hard to pin down. Buttery, sweet, pumpkin-peachy.

Wet: My DH calls it buttered popcorn, and I have to agree- fresh, dripping-butter popcorn. Yum!!!

10 minutes later: The butter calms down and now the peach flares up... Still yummy!!!! I want to lick my wrist- but that's probably not a good idea.

An hour later: Peachy-pumpkin. I can think of no better description. I've had peach-pumpkin bread pudding, and I swear it smells the same as this. Buttery and lightly spiced with nutmeg and cloves- the scent warms as my skin warms, and cools slightly as my skin cools. I still want to lick my wrists, although it's easier to resist now. :P

All in all I could smell this all day- I've worn it every day since it was gifted to me- and I've scattered it through my house and car so I can smell it all day. I have had many compliments and people stopping to sniff me as I wear this scent, too.

Jack was my first BPAL fragrance, and I was immediately in LOVE with it!!!!

Woo! My first BPAL scent as well! At first this was not on my list o'wants because I wasn't quite sure how the pumpkin would work out on me. But I got Jack as a frimp in my very first order, and after sniffing it, I decided that I wanted this to be my first official BPAL try, and I have to say, I'm really glad that my skin didn't turn this into something icky!

Upon first sniff I get a nice warm autumn day where someone is baking yummy pumpkin cookies. Really pretty.

I put it on, and the pumpkin and nutmeg just kinda popped out on my skin, and no peach or clove to be found.

As time went on, the pumpkin and nutmeg stayed pretty prevalent, but now I keep catching underlying whiffs of the aforementioned hidden peach.

Overall an absolutely yummy and relaxing scent, very comforting and foody :P A complete winner in my book!

Edited by FallDaze