Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Jolly Roger

Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

In the bottle, this is strong and sweet tobacco to me, even though it's not listed. Wet, the same. Drydown, it morphs a little into leather and wood. Much later, I finally get a hint of salty air. It's a pirate smoking out on the deck of his ship. This is a calming and bracing scent, but Port Royal is without a doubt my favorite from the pirate collection. I'll keep this imp all the same! Edited by Shollin

In bottle/imp: Very salty and masculine. I get the woods and leather as well.

Immediately on skin: Salty leather and wood… the wood is VERY strong. It’s definitely bringing to mind thoughts of pirate ships, so the blend is perfectly named. There is a bit of the bay rum as well, but it’s blended nicely into it.

After a few minutes: This blend is very nice… the wood has calmed down a bit so it’s no longer overpowering the other notes. It’s very salty and crisp.

Overall Impressions: This is a great scent, but definitely masculine. It’s salty and crisp, but still manages to be sexy.

Edited by Delirium1009

Another scent gone all confusing on my skin, but lucky for me this is a good confusing :D No leather, no wood, and sadly, no bay rum which is what I was hoping for...but I like it.

In imp: unidentifiable crisp, almost floral with some salt.

Wet on skin: clean and a little salt--maybe the seaspray note? It is slightly sweet and sort or reminds me of white rabbit, which also does odd things on my skin.

Drydown: pretty much stays the same with no morphing. Very clean with a little salt and a little sweet. Very fresh linen on a sunny day. Low key throw. I can smell it without actually sniffing my wrist, but it's not obtrusive or overwhelming. Gets softer over time, but stays fairly well, and my skin pretty much eats a lot of scents.

Overall: not at all what I was expecting, and I really really wanted the bay rum :P

but overall a very nice scent for when I want something light and crisp and subtle. I will keep the imp, don't know about a full bottle.

Hmmmm... really manly soap on girl skin - which isn't the worst thing ever... just iffy if you aren't in the mood for it. :P

A little boozy, a little salty... kinda floral... but the combo is tres masculine on me.

2/5

On me, Jolly Roger is salty ocean air with maybe a hint of rum. Once again, my skin ate the other notes. This is nice but not a favorite.

This is all salt, wood and leather on me, there is no bay rum at all, which might be good, as I tend to dislike boozy scents, though I think it might have sweetened up this one, which may have helped it out a bit. This is a bit sharp, it actually reminds me of this sports bar here in town, it is super old, it was a hotel back in the like.. early 1800's. They tried to keep as much of the old architecture as possible so, you get that old, dark wood smell. This is not a tree wood smell, this is a worn by the waves plank. The leather is interesting here, it keeps it more well rounded I think. Overall, this is a bit too.. strong and sharp for me though I find it to be very intriguing.. wonder if the boy would be willing to put it on... :P

I bought this for my partner, because he smells delicious in aquatics (and because Calico Jack just smelled like men's shaving cream on both of us). But, of course, I had to try it first. Oh. my. god. I almost want to keep it for myself, but I think it might be even more incredible on him. If so, he'll never be able to wear it in public without me dragging him off to some secluded spot and promptly ravishing him. Ahem. Anyway, this went on very light and almost floral at first. But then... then! It morphs into yummy salty sea air. Clean without being crisp, cool yet infinitely nuzzle-able, I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist. Perfect!

ETA: I discovered after buying a bottle from the Lab that this scent is best aged. The new bottle was all ozone-y freshness without the delicious salty wood of the first imp. However, after mixing it with Everclear to make a spray and allowing it to rest for a couple of weeks, it's developing those yummy characteristics.

Edited by Apple

In the imp: aquatic.

Wet: salt, ozone, wood.

Drydown: the wood is starting to smell more specifically like cedar. I can catch a hint of the bay rum. Overall, however, the aquatic/salt note predominates.

Arrr. This be a pirate scent indeed! I will have to do a side-by-side comparison to see how it differs from Mary Read and Anne Bonny, because my scent memory is not refined enough.

On me, this smells soapy and salty and faded quickly. I could barely detect any traces of it on my skin in an hour. It reminds me much less of a pirate ship than it does of one of the many little boutiques lining the american coasts that peddle massive quantities of cheap incense and hermit crabs within walking distance of the beach. There was definitely a floral scent, especially in the bottle, not so much leather or rum. It didn't strike me as particularly masculine.

This is SUCH a trip for me. Most of the time, most scents don't morph too much on me.

Jolly Roger does. At the beginning, it's very aquatic - salty sea spray. And then, the salty air is gone --- and its replaced by a very heavy wood. The kind that you would find in a beach.

And an hour later, I get leather. Well worn and salty kinda leather.

And yes, I do feel piratey!

This is a really fun scent. I don't know if I would ever wear it as a perfume, but its certainly fun to play with.

In the bottle this strikes me as VERY sharp and tangy, almost abrasive. But there are some undercurrents lurking in there that make it intriguing, so on the skin it goes.

It's SHARP at first application, almost peppery, the way it bites the nose.

However it drys and mellows quickly into a tangy, spicy wood and leather scent with a nice dash of fresh sea air.

I'm not sure this is good for everyday wear, but I'm definitely keeping the imp for those days/nights when it's time to break out the leather pants or corset. :P ARR!

Expectations: This was on my "short" list for my imp pack order, and narrowly got eliminated, so I have high hopes for it. I wouldn't mind if it's heavy on the rum.

In vial: Not what I imagined. I'm getting mostly leather, and can barely tell there's rum in here.

On skin, wet: Sea spray and wood.

On skin, dry: Still sea spray and wood. Where's my rum? This evokes great images, but I can already tell I won't give it above a "neutral" rating.

After time: At 20 minutes, pretty much the same, but the saltiness has been enhanced. I'm not going to bother with checking it at later intervals. It's not for me.

Conclusion: I want to smell it, but don't want to smell like it. When you buy this scent it should come with a very sexy man to slather it on.

Bottle: Leather and salt

Wet: Rum, salt and dry wood

Drydown: This would be a very sexy scent on my husband. It's almost sexy on me, but that may be because I'm tackling my husband right now in my mind. It's masculine, but not dark.

3.0 outta 5

in the imp: salt and lime :P

wet on skin: salt, lime and the aquatic scent i knew was coming :D

dry down: salt, lime leather, in that order, and a faint hint of the aqua note from before.

in all: although not my personal cup of tea, i wouldn't mind smelling this on a cute stranger, though probably not my boyfriend.

:D

This smells exactly like the notes--salty, leathery, woody...but why's the rum gone?? Very masculine and not something I'd ever wear, but what a great concept for an oil and how wonderfully executed it is!

It starts out as something lovely and true to description, and then turns into lime-tobacco-eraser. It's not bad, but it's definitely better in the imp than it is on me.

This turns into a sweet-salty wood smoke with a touch of rum on me. I'm not quite sure what goes smoky on me -- the Samhain '07 blend does the same thing on me...but I'm not complaining. I love the smell of wood smoke.

In the bottle, it smells kind of sweet to me, but not overpoweringly so. I suppose it's the Bay Rum I'm picking up?

Wet/on for a few minutes it smells very salty. There's also an unidentifiable scent: when you first start to sniff, it smells like wax, then as you breathe in more deeply, it turns to a musky smell. Is this the leather?

2 hours after application, it's still there, but faint. It's a bit more floral now and still salty, but that musky, waxy scent has gone. It actually smells a bit delicate.

I'm not crazy about the musky scent, but overall Jolly Roger is intriguing enough for me to keep on using it. It's just such a different scent than I am used to, and that's a good thing. :P

The sea spray is definitely the top note. The rest of the notes are way way WAY in the background. I am barely getting wood, leather and maybe rum. It fades fairly quickly on me as well.

In The Bottle

Defintely aquatic but with an edge. Certainly not a tame scent. :P

On Application

Wow. This smells fresh and bitter. It's making me salivate.

Dry Down

This is actually quite amazing. The leather is really comes out after a few minutes and becomes very salty with a hint of spiciness (possibly the bay rum?). I definitely get the pirate references in this. Um...this goes through an epoxy glue stage 20 minutes in but thankfully this is a brief stage. Overall, I really like. :D I think I'd like to age this a bit before trying again or committing to a large bottle.

Rating (0-5)

"Fly our flag, we teach them fear

Capture them, the end is near

Firing guns, they shall burn

Surrender or fight, there's no return

Under Jolly Roger!"

Sorry, but those lyrics totally fit this scent for me.

Anyways, back to reviewing...

Imp: Overpowering, crisp salty mist, and a very fragrant wood.

Wet: Still very crisp and fresh, not much of my favorite qualities, since I am quite the scallywag. I am giving it a chance though.

Dry Down: This reminds me of sailing on Lake Michigan, on the Windy ship. Very woody, and a hint of leather, something tells me if I go out and get all sweaty the leather will come out more

Big Bottle?: Definitely.

Overall: This scent is a wonderful morpher, I love it. It makes me want to go out on a ship and work myself to death...and fire a cannon or two.

I think the bay rum, may be an unfamiliar scent to me. I keep expecting bay rum to smell, well, like rum. Maybe I'll just go get drunk and spill some on me, and that will help, lol.

Initial thoughts: Uh-oh. That there's an ozone scent, I can spot it from here. I'm not getting my hopes up.

In the imp: Salty sea spray is about all I'm getting.

On the wrist, wet: Sweet, wet, slightly salty... I do almost get the woodsy-ness underneath, but I'm afraid this is gonna go soapy on the drydown... which is almost garunteed, alas.

Twenty minutes later: ... No way. No. Friggin. Way. Every other scent with 'sea spray' listed actually smelt like Ocean Fresh soap. Why does THIS one - inexplicably - smell like actual spray-washed wood? I don't pick out the leather (Which should if anything be compounding the soapiness) and perhaps only a bare hint of Bay Rum, but this is an unexpected win. It's subtle and gentle enough that I could wear it to work or suchlike. I'm very pleased with this!

Verdict: Keeper... not sold on a bottle just yet.

Tl;Dr: Worn woods washed in sea spray. Light and subtle.

First Sniff: A bit of salty sea air and rum.

Wet: Strong and masculine smelling. The bay rum comes through the most so far.

Dry: As it dries down, it becomes a bit lighter and the rum tapers off just a little. The leather starts to come out and mixed with the rum it is definitely a guy scent.

My Reaction: Since I actually got this one for my husband, I'm not too terribly disappointed that it didn't really work on me. It's a heavier scent which would work well on a gentleman. It didn't really remind me of pirates, but it seemed like more of a licorice scent to me.

I love this. On me it smells salty clean. Like how i'd imagine the smell would be on a great big sailboat with the waves and wearing freshly laundered linens. . .