Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Jolly Roger

Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

Wow! This one relaly does smell like fresh, salty air! It's amazing how Beth can do that! ^^
There's definilty a bit of lavender in here, they weren't lying when they said it's a masculine scent.

I'm not getting any run when I put this on my skin. This is mostly fresh, salty air, lavender and something maybe a bit woody.

I really love this one, but it's much too masculine for me.

_______

ETA (11/18/14)

This starts out with bay rum, salty air and a bit of leather. It dries into a cedar-like woods (with maybe a bit of patchouli). This reminds me a lot of Old Spice with more wood. In 2014, the lavender never shows up for me.

Edited by Monster

In the bottle is it is salty and acquatic. I can smell the rum, but it is faint.

This starts out leathery on me. The salt is still there, but taking a back seat and the rum is totally gone. It has promise.

After it dries though, I'm attacked by the woody/pathcouli-esque scent. If I turn my head I still get some of the "sea air" quality, but if I hold my nose to my wrist all I get is the patchouli/woody/earthy. It is salty, but not oceanic. This one is getting swapped.

This one really surprised me, usually my skin amps up leather like nobodies buisness and I loathe lavander.

on me however, this starts out salty and aquatic, it reminds me alot of tempest but with an extra bite. and then after 15 minutes it dries down into the most delicious buttery sweet salty smell. Im definatly getting a bottle of this next order. im so in love with it *swoons*

Jolly Roger:

In the bottle: Mmmm I can smell the Bay Rum and the "salty". I can tell I'm already going to want my man to try this one on!

Wet: Wow, strong! It smells almost like Old Spice..

Drydown: It's all but disappeared on my arm. That's okay, though, as it's a scent I'd rather smell on my boyfriend rather than myself.

Conclusion: Test on boyfriend.

In the bottle: Very oceanic (or at least what I imagine the ocean would smell like, considering I've never been there), salty, and very fresh.

Wet on my skin: The scent intensifies greatly and I can definitely smell the leather now.

Dry on my skin: Sweet, but yet a little spicy. (The hubby thinks I smell like a library. :P) It does smell a little like traditional men's colognes, but so much better. And pirate-y to boot. :D After it dries completely I'm able to smell the rum a bit.

Final thoughts: I love this scent, and I absolutely adore it on the hubby and might need to buy a large bottle. It's very masculine, but I can definitely see myself wearing it occasionally.

Imp: Sweet and fumey, like alcohol. I think it smells like salty leather and pale woods.

I only tried this on him:

On, wet: Very shower clean. Sorta with a cool water vibe, though it really doesn't smell like that. Very fresh and clean. Leather and man's shower soap or deodorant. Also a bit tart, like citrus, even though I don't think there IS citrus listed.

3 hrs later: Still that wonderfully fresh clean lightly tanned leather/aquatic blend. So shower clean. Great man scent, and good staying power.

Overall: Clean, masculine and ultra sexy in a preppy kinda way. We're gonna hold onto this one for now. Yay--another scent for the hubby!

Good men's fragrance very light and clean.

Bottle: This didn't smell that great in the bottle. I was sckeptical because it smelled very commercial. I had to try it on because of the aquatic and dry woods notes. I knew I would like the leather so I decided to go for the gusto. Y mucho gusto fue!

Wet on Skin: Yummy Bay Rummy! Leather and the sea oh my this is nice.

Drydown: Good solid long lasting scent on me. The scents meld down into a lovely concoction of truly manish lusty sexy perfumery. The bay rum is my favorite element. It's sharp warmth works very well on my skin. The dry woods give it that reson-y delectability I expect from BPAL and this one does not disappoint.

Final Grade: A+ (A definite keeper, and definitely my next bottle purchase.)

Ocean scents seem to go all wonky on my skin. Which really sucks, because I love the ocean and am desperately seeking a scent that will work on me....

Jolly Roger seems to be just that scent! The warm rum notes are heavenly on my skin! This is delicious!

This scent is crisp and warm on my skin. Yummy.

at first: the lab included this as a freebie in my last order. i definitely get the sea spray, leather, and woods in this. a great balance of ozone and aquatic.

on: very, very salty and wet.

45 minutes later: the woods are coming out more, but this is still very, very salty.

3 hours later: just vaguely salty and aquatic.

4 hours later: more woody now, but still salty.

overall: this is nice, and i'd probably really like it on someone else, but it isn't me.

It's funny, I never notice the leather in BPAL blends until I read the ingredients, and then it becomes glaringly apparent. I'm not a big leather fan, but this is a really nice masculine blend. I would classify it as woodsy, but the bay rum and the leather are definitely prevalent as well. It comes off smelling like a really sexy guy's cologne. I'm definitely gonna try this on the hubbie.

Got this one for DH because he is a leather fan. Too much aquatic here for his taste. It is VERY fresh...a good scent to wear on the beach...while still being sexy and masculine.

I got this in an imp because I wanted to smell like a pirate!! Although I expect real pirates would stink pretty bad but where is the romance in that.

Perhaps the ocean smells different in my part of the world but this does not come across oceany or salty at all. Aquatic yes, it's a light blue smell, but not that cleansing, ultimate power of nature kind of smell that I was hoping for.

In the bottle the rum and the leather are detectable and it's quite delicious, once it's on my skin though, it transforms into a crisp clean smell, it's cool but a little stereotypical, resembling a lot of the aquatic men's colognes out there. There's no devilry or adventure in this scent, and it disappears quite fast. Oh well.

I'm writing this review stream of consciousness as I wear Jolly Roger - so I apologize if it doesn't flow particularly well.

Wet this smells like a relatively sharp, white floral with an aquatic tang. It is sort of reminiscent of Irish Spring soap, actually. I have a tendency to slather since so many scents just disappear on me, but that was a mistake with Jolly Roger - this is really strong...like, really really "I'm choking" strong!

As it dries the floral fades out and the ocean/tangy scent gets stronger. This really does have a beachy feel to it. For anyone worried about the leather note, I tend to amp leather and it doesn't show up at all in Jolly Roger. As I wear it this seems to be getting stronger, sharper and saltier. I think this could be lovely layered with something a little sweet, but on me this is too ozonic and sharp to wear alone (and this from a girl that really likes Storm Moon). Actually, I may try layering this with Tarot: The Star - I think that would amp the beachy-ness and tone down the sharpness.

On further drydown this becomes even saltier - to the point where I can taste salt at the back of my throat. I have no idea how Beth managed that and it's really interesting from an experiential standpoint, but not pleasant. I'm going to try to wash this one off.

Edited by Batgirl

On me, Jolly Roger is sea spray with an undercurrent of soap and peanut noodles. Not even tempted to try this one again.

Yes, you could say my skin chemistry is seriously weird, but I prefer "mysterious."

Smells very fresh, exactly like the lab's description, salty sea breezes with the alcohol tang of the rum. I feel like I'm walking on a Carribean beach very early in the morning.

And when it dries down, it softens and sweeten a bit on my skin but still that aquatic freshness. I got this imp for my hubby, but I think I'm gonna "steal" it from him from time to time :P. I definitely need a bottle.

Edited by mandragora

Arr. Thank ye, Labbies!

In the vial, it smells like the high seas and a hint of sweet spiced rum. Should it really be this sweet? It's about the same when it's on - sweet, aquatic, and then it becomes a sea-salty floral. Like someone's died out at sea and they've thrown flowers overboard where that person had a sea burial.

Or, a beautiful damsel in distress has just been made to walk the plank, whichever you prefer.

I wasn't sure about this one, but I love the idea behind it, and I'm glad I tried it. I can taste the salty sea air - literally. That's amazingly cool. I don't get much of the other notes until the end, when the leather finally peeks out, but it's very faint under the floral-aquatic-ness of it all. Completely dry, it gets this weird, vaguely Band-Aidy smell under the floral. That is the strangest thing. I liked it up until now.

3.25, because of the drydown. Why, oh why did you have to go all weird on me at the very end?

This was a freebie from the lab.

Hm. I got some boozy notes in the bottle, but...

... on me, the alcoholic note faded quickly, I never got any leather and the woods were not very prominent either. What I mainly got was the sea spray part - this is mainly aquatic on me, with a slight whiff of the rum note (sans the alcohol after only minutes - don't ask me how it still smelled like rum, it just did), and something almost... floral?

My skin is weird.

Anyway, it ain't bad, but also not a bull's eye for me. So I'll use up my imp and probably leave it at that.

Edited by Diva Urd

damnit. I wanted this to rock. Turns to nothing but soap on me. Can't smell leather in the slightest, nor the rum. The wood is there for a moment, but then its all soap. Sadly there will be no Yarrrrr for me from this one.

I guess neither Brian nor I ever reviewed this, although it's been in his imp box for a couple of years now! Basically, Jolly Roger is a (salt)watered-down version of Port-au-Prince. PaP brings out the rum so much more richly that even though Roger is a nice, fresh, salty-dog of a pirate, he seldom gets worn.

Jolly Roger

I'm disappointed. I have wanted to try this for so long because of the name, even though I know by now I should stay away from the aquatic/ozone department. I had hoped the sea spray and salty air would only be a little part of this, that there would be more dry wood and sweaty leather and rum and piratey things like that. But alas. It's just light and fresh and generic and citrusy.

The guy who played Norrington in Pirates of the Caribbean described his character as wanting to chase away all of the pirates and spray air freshener wherever they had been. Well, then this is the Caribbean after he's done. Jack Sparrow is certainly nowhere to be found.

I'll just keep Atropa's Cottage's Grace O'Malley as my pirate perfume then.

When I first tried this a couple days ago, it smelled exactly like I remember Lightning smelling - sharp ozone and salt water, and nothing else.

So now I have them fighting it out on opposite wrists. They do smell very similar, especially wet, but I can pick out differences.

Lightning's more overwhelmingly ozone, and stronger - if I sniff it first I almost can't pick out Jolly Roger afterwards.

I can actually almost pick out the non-aquatic notes in Jolly Roger now - it may be that it's actually smelling somewhat different today, because I definitely couldn't do that before. I still don't really get rum, but there's something sweet-spicy under the sea smell that could be leather and wood, if I think "leather and wood" at it long enough.

Overall: Nice, but I'm not overly enamoured. I'd like to try it on a guy and see if the other notes come out more, though.

In the vial: manly! Salty sweet.

On the skin: For some reason, I just don't have luck with most rum scents. The salt aquatics too, they just don't agree with me. This one isn't doing anything for me. Bleh. :P

Wet: Lemon pith and flower stems. This relates in no way to the described notes, but that's what I'm getting. Very sharp. Not entirely unpleasant, but weird.

Drying: Very mild, lemony, a bit salty. If it weren't for the slight saltiness I'd think this was mislabelled, but I guess it just behaves oddly on my skin. If I really concentrate I can smell a tiny bit of leather.

Dry: Soft, powdery, still a bit lemony. Can't account for this, but it's just how this one comes out on me. Even weirder, the later dry-down is a faint lilac smell.

straight sniff from bottle is very strong, aquatic and green.....yum!!!!!

upon application, some spiciness comes through.....almost a peppery aroma...and then bam!! a misty, salty sea spray, well-worn leather perfectly blended with a bone dry sandalwood ......terribly interesting and unique....... i am in awe and love with this one and am so pleased to have a bottle :P

Edited by sookster

Thank you lab, for this frimp :P

In the imp: vaguely familiar floral scent - air freshner they used to use at my high school, that's it exactly

Wet: Is that what bay rum is supposed to smell like? Oooh, I like!

Dry: Sweet and salty. Very, very slight leather scent. Also, a touch of florals. Like flowers tied together with a strip of leather and then set to drift in the ocean. Very clean and oceanic.

Overall: 7.5-8/10. Really nice on, not as amazing as some others. Love the clean saltiness of it. Not as much throw as I'd hoped. Really, on me, this is very fem. If I had to imagine who Jolly Roger would look like, I'm seeing either a man far less manly and much cleaner than Jack Sparrow, or a pirate wench who's real name was more like Jollyanna Roger.