Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Jolly Roger

Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

I've tried this a few times now and I do really love it. It's a clean, fresh aquatic blend that smells floral to me. It actually reminds me of Sea of Glass, only a little sharper and bolder, maybe a little salty. I can smell the leather in there, but it's almost closer to vinyl or black rubber than leather. Adds to the feel of intense cleanliness, in a way.

This doesn't last long on me, and I'm going to try mixing it with unscented lotion to see if I can trick it into hanging around longer. But the throw is almost nil after 2 or 3 hours, I can still smell clean leather if I sniff up close on my wrist. After about 5 hours I can't detect it at all. This would be the only thing preventing me from buying a bigger bottle. As it is I'll keep experimenting with the imp and definitely use it up. If I can get it to last it will definitely be a favorite.

Jolly Roger

In the imp: fresh aquatics! Like a wave crashing on the shore and splashing me in the face! With a hint of wood.

Wet on skin: fresh, fresh aquatic notes, with a hint of wood and leather. Very cool as a scent-this sea is cold.

Dry on skin: not bad, though now the aquatic note does veer towards smelling like laundry. Like it's been freshly washed! It's no longer the fresh sea spray I got before, more like the smell of the local laundrette. There's a hint of saltiness and wind to it though that reminds me of cold storm waves slapping on the hull of a wooden ship-I smell the wood under it all, a pale, greyish wood scent. I don't smell the rum or the leather though-just the ozone-aquatics.

After a while: and then it all turns to soap. I smell like someone's put me in the washing machine. It smells so much like detergent it's scary!

But then the OMGSOAP! phase dies down and I can now smell leather! This improves the smell a lot more. It now regains its truly marine scent and now there's dark leather added to it. It still smells very clean and 'freshly washed' but not as overwhelmingly so.

And then after that brief leathery interlude it goes back to OMGSOAP!!!

But then after many hours it switches into a pleasant sweet white floral with a hint of leather! Talk about a shapeshifter…it also smells a little bit like non-violetty Numb with a hint of Dirty.

Verdict: whoa, this scent is as unpredictable and as changeable as a stormy sea! First it's pure sea spray up my nose. Then it's sea spray and driftwood. Then it's detergent-yup, it turns to Eau de Laundrette on me. And then the leather comes out to calm the scent of clean laundry before the soap goes crazy on my skin once more before calming down again at the end. What a bumpy ride this scent was, veering between 'hmm, not bad' and 'who put me on spin cycle?' all the time. That's the thing with aquatics and ozone scents-they can be really nice on me, or they can be really soapy-this was the latter. I think I'll swap this.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: De Sade, Numb, Sea of Glass, Dirty, Pool of Tears

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Thanks to bloodpoppies for the imp.

Imp: I get an aquatic feel from the blend, but it's more flowery than watery. I'm detecting iris.

Skin: There's some sweetness, which I attribute to the Bay Rum, and some savoryness, perhaps from the leather or the woods.

Drydown: This transforms into almost complete salty wood after drydown.

It's very true, but sort of almost too representative for me, if that makes any sense. I don't find it as evocative as Black Pearl, but this would be great on a male, naturally. . .argh! :P

This imp is traveling as part of the General Catalogue swap.

This particular batch of imps -- Ava Maria Gratia Plena, Hymn to Propserine, Jazz Funeral, Jolly Roger, Juke Joint – consists almost exclusively of notes that give me trouble. These include booze, apple and jasmine.

Because I’m way, way behind and want to get the imps circulating, I’m sending it on its way having sniffed it in the bottle and determining that, well, for all the BPAL scents I love, I just don’t want to risk not loving it as Jack Sparrow might.

Safe travels little imp!

In the bottle: Ozone, fresh and green-smelling.

Wet: Ozone with fresh green and woodsy touches. It does smell like sea spray, and it gets saltier as it develops, but it's sweet too.

Drydown: As it dries down, the fresh green ozone gives way to warm, slightly spicy woods surrounded with greenery. Then the leather starts coming out, it's a soft, worn leather. The woods become dryer and spicier.

Overall: On drydown, this is a definitely masculine blend. It's fresh and salty, and very woodsy, bordering on spicy. Certainly a pirate's scent, you can nearly smell his sweat in the heavy musk of the leather. Very evocative, but not something I'd ever wear.

This is gorgeous. I bought this one for my manfriend, mostly because he fancies himself a pirate. I am sooo glad I got it...it smells just like I'd imagine him smelling after months of piracy. The rum is gorgeous...like Captain Morgan's spiced rum, it has a nice sweet spicy scent that really sets off the leather note wonderfully! The initial scent is definitely oceanic...it smelled a little prettier than seawaters I'm used to, but still had that aquatic kind of scent in my nose. Once it burned off (after about 15 quick quick seconds), the scent warmed up like a pirate ship in the sun, and I got all of the wonderful rummy, leathery, woody scents. Very sexy in a woozy, wild kind of way. Definitely perfect for the pirates in the forum. My man will looove this one. I know I do.

Jolly Roger-

In Bottle: Oh, what is that? I smell lime and--melon! Yes, melon. Honeydew.

Wet: Very strong citrus bloom.

Dry: There's something lime and light and comforting about this one, but I really never got too much off it. I think this one can't be a keeper for me, sadly. I wonder where the bay rum went?--Oh, God--did I just type that? Say it with me now: "Why is all the rum gone??" :P

Overall: Too odorless for me.

I ordered this as an Imp along with Anne Bonny, because I'm a shameless pirate whore, and it makes me hope for more pirate-themed scents in the future.

The rum, such as its nature, knocks me over on first whiff. It's all I can smell for a few moments until the ocean and wood start coming through. The leather I can barely detect at all. It's almost sickeningly sweet, as a couple of posters noted.

That is, until I rub my wrists together.

This scent is downright mindblowing with a little body heat introduced. The sweet booziness dies off, and wow. Ocean and leather and wood. I think I'm in love.

Will definitely order a bottle of it once I can afford to. ARR!

A very clean and slightly boozey dry aquatic. It reminds me of a less sharp Tempest with more flow then Sea of Glass. It reminds me of a lot of Tempest because of the ozone notes. I think that the woods and dryiness will help a lot of those that couldn't like Tempest because of the floral element of it. Unfortunately Tempest fills my niche for aquatics.

This blend is a very salty, masculine blend on me. Slight tinge of sweetness from the rum I suppose. After the initial drydown, this turns to cheap hotel soap on me. :P

In the imp: Oh, my! It's the sea! It smells so lovely and clean and almost green. What a beautiful smell.

Wet: Still smells grand, but the salt has started to rise up.

Dry: The leather note has come up quite a bit on me and is making my head hurt. The aquatic note is amazing still and I definitely will shoot for something with those notes but the leather is just too much for me.

Off to swap!

I definitely smell bay rum, I think. I don't quite know what it is but that is the only thing it really could be. I have no idea why, but I really do not like this. Ack.

imp: extremely floral. like, an overwhelming orchid/lilac floral. i was skeptical.

skin: still floral but with a salt chaser.

dry: cinnamon. i know, what? then spiced rum. i love this.

overall, i like this scent. it's nothing like i anticipated (then again, this came from my first batch of imps - wasn't really sure what to expect). i'm going to give this one to a male friend and see what he thinks. this seems like a masculine scent on skin.

this really does seem like salt water on my skin when it's wet... no sweetness as of yet, just wet and salty. As it dries, I'm picking up a hint of the rum, but still overall very salty. This would have been the perfect fun scent for my pirate-themed hallowe'en party, but not a scent I'd wear other than that...

I only get salty aquatic from this at first, then a slight hint of rum, and then poof--it's gone. It's nice enough, but I prefer the scent and lasting power of The Pool of Tears, and I don't really need another salty aquatic.

On me, this is a salty aquatic with a little bit of bay rum. Like standing on a boat next to a man who just put classy aftershave on. A pirate perhaps ;D

Very nice and evocative, though I don't know how often I would wear it.

My first thought was "white flowers." After mellowing, this one is light, bright, salty ocean air. The bay rum is very very light. I like this one quite a bit. It's not especially masculine, but I bet it would smell great on a guy.

WOW! Hubby tried this and I can't stop sniffing him! :P

It is definately a clean, refreshing aquatic scent with a hint of the bay rum and a slight woodsy smell. Not getting to much of the leather right now.

This is easily one of my favorites and will certainly be buying a bottle. I can't wait to try it myself!

ETA:

I tried it on myself and at first I thought: still yummy but better suited for hubby. After letting it dry down though I love it on myself as well! I'm actually getting a bit more of the bay rum than on hubby (it's a bit spicier and sweeter on me) and on hubby it was more woodsy. The leather is very faint on both of us. And I'm catching some of the salitness which I really like.

I think we'll each need a bottle!

Edited by Femme_Fatale

Very nice aquatic scent. The rum and wood are there slightly but the aquatic notes are overpowering to start with. I'm definately going to try this again and on my boy.

Yum! This really is the perfect piratey scent in a bottle.

The 'dry wood' really does remind me of old, old wood from the seaside. Anyone who's ever had the fortune to be around a real tallship would recognize it. There's the salt, and a musky sort of 'clean sweat' smell. It's really lovely. Definitely unisex, too, and smells as good on a few guys of my acquaintence as girls (since I had to share it around).

Really a favourite, and very pirate, although perhaps a little more 'Will Turner' than Jack Sparrow... just not enough rum for that. Maybe mixed with Grog, though :P

This scent is amazing. Wet, it's the ocean, pure and simple. The drydown is a salty, light leathery smell, like leather boots that got soaked in seawater and left to dry on the sandy beach on top of some old wood. Sounds wierd, but it works, and my skin loves it. It's not too masculine on me, but on the right boy it would be absolutely delish. Great job, Beth. A 5ml is on the way!

Edited by alliekat13

In vial: salty goodness. Definitely smelling the ocean in this one.

on skin: Tons of salt spray. Not woody at all, but the bay rum is there. Salty is overpowering everything.

drydown: this is the ocean, plain and simple. Pure salty seawater and driftwood.

later: oddly soapy, like irish spring. I think this is a swapper. It's interesting, but not something I'll wear.

This is my first review, from my first batch of imps, so I'm still training my nose. :P

In the imp, smells oceany and green, kind of sharp. On while wet pretty much the same. Very strong on me! As it dries it's getting saltier, definitely sea water here! 20 min later, just got a whiff of wood or leather under the sea salt, by sniffing right at my wrist, but it was almost immediately gone. Still fairly strong. I'm thinking this may be better for spring or summer than for the icy rainy winter night that it is right now. I am liking this, so far! 30 minutes in, still very salty. I think I'd like this to be a bit sweeter, the salt and ocean smell is just a bit much for me today. It seems to have settled into a greenish-salty sea smell and softened quite a bit, but is still strong. I'd like to smell more of the other notes, rather than JUST the ocean, but on me today it isn't reallly happening.

I think I need to go a little lighter on the ozone/oceanic notes than this, but will keep it around untill summer to see if I like it better then. I'll definitely have to apply this one sparingly to prevent potential headaches, though.

Not at all what I was expecting. This is ocean breeze and lavender, very light and fresh and clean. No salt, no wood, no rum, not a hint of leather; it's quite pleasant, but it's not for me.

Edited by Bangles