Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Jolly Roger

Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

First sniff from the bottle Smells of leather.

After 10 minutes- This is very masculine. I am getting leather, lime, the smell of the Ocean (how does Beth do it?) and....pickles maybe?

After 30 minutes- The leather smell is still going strong. I didn't detect any rum or wood in this as was listed in the description. As this dries down it smells soapy and clean. (Is that the bay rum?)

Summery- Jolly Rodger is a fantastic leather blend. It did not work for me but would be great on a boy. :P

Jolly Roger was spicy, salty, and rugged. I can't wear aquatics though and it gave me a headache. :D

It smells wonderful though. Rum, leather, spice and the sea.

Stupid nose and head! :P

These are the notes I wrote down upon receiving Jolly Roger. I never read the description first, so I can form my own opinion:

grass, then gas/chemistry lab/new shoes/fresh band-aid

I would have named this one Alien.

:P

Oh, ugh -- I smelled Jolly Roger in the imp and had some misgivings, but couldn't tell what it was that was making me go "ew". But I put it on my skin anyway.

Sewage. Raw sewage. Pure sewer backup. That's the odor wafting off my skin and it WON'T GO AWAY.

Mmmm! Salty (but not too salty) marine and...is that coconut? Maybe the rum just smells sweet on me :P This would be incredible on a guy, but a girl could also wear it. It really is an awsome scent =) Reminds me of Pirates of the Carribean!

ADDED April 21:

First of all, the bottle ROCKS :D SO Captain Jack!!

I can smell tobacco, big tropical leaves, salty sea air, rum, and damp woods :D Maybe I'm just not good at detecting leather? :D Although I can definately see why Jolly Roger is considered masculine, I think the right chick can get away with wearing it =)

Of course, I'd sooo jump a guy who smells like a pirate... :evil: at least, one of the BPAL variety :D

this scent is just wonderful. the salty sea spray, rum, hint of leather and dry woods. i'm reminded of sitting on the pier at the ocean. i love it.

Wow, I can't believe I got the same oil as everyone else. This is proof that my skin chemistry does wild, weird things. I didn't get aquatic, I didn't get pine. I got cheap cigar ash...not cherry tobacco, not tobacco leaf...but ash. I think perhaps I am not acclimated to bay rum yet, so it might not be appreciated by my nose and I have bad memories of my stepfather smoking said cigars with the windows rolled up while we were on vacation, but this is really all I got from this. Tried it twice and once on the BF and just couldn't get behind it. I would love to smell it on someone else!

Sadly, this scent does not evoke pacing the deck for me. I am getting the same air-freshener effect that I had from Lightening, though I think I can detect Bay Rum in the background.

For Jolly Roger all I really get is a very fresh-smelling sea-scent. I didn't get any other notes from it that would've made it much more dirty and "piratey". It smells like the ocean should smell in a perfect world: salty, clean, and slightly sweet. As it is on me, I feel more like an English naval officer than a privateer, but I suppose "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash" wouldn't make for a very appealing oil name (as well as an alarming combination of scents!).

I still think it's a great little scent and is something I'd like to have around for when I want to get all classy and charming. As an additional bonus, it lasts a nice long time, so it's perfect for three hour tours!

Oh my. This is nice. :P

In the bottle: I smell sea air. Salty, cool, with a stale undercurrent of seaweed...but not bad, just in that beach kind of way.

Wet on me: Wood and salt air with a hint of leather. Very nice, and takes me to places I love being, and memories I cherish.

Drydown: Im still pleased beyond belief. I get that sweet salt of the ocean air, cool and refreshing. It smells green, wet, alive. Its a way to feel the spirit-lift of the sea, even when youre not near it.

Im glad I got the 5ml

wowza, this is amazingly piratey! I get leather and ocean, and bonfires and stinky pirates drinking booze. I thought this would smell better on a guy though, my my bf said "foooochie, this stinks!" and in a way.. it does! But it stinks like pirates, and thats the whole point! A real amazing scent.

Jolly Roger is primarily aquatic, with maybe a hint of leather. It's a lovely marine-aquatic, a bit sweeter than Sea of Glass.

Origin - tested at Black Broom.

I keep seeing this Skull and Crossbones bottle at the Black Broom, and it's so cute that I have to try it. Ah, it's Jolly Roger!

Jolly Roger is another one of those amazing scents. I put it on and am immediately transported to the ocean. Sea spray…that's exactly what it smells like! And if I sniff really hard, I can smell the wood of the ship. The rum adds a little spiciness, but it's barely there; this is all about the ocean. I like this one a lot, it's masculine and yet something I would feel comfortable wearing, particularly on a summer day.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

Edited - because I put the wrong review here. Duh!

Edited by wickedgoddess

Jolly Roger is another oil I've always been curious about but never would have ordered, mainly because bay rum and leather don't usually work on me. But the labbies slipped an imp of it into my last order and I'm so glad I got to try it, thank you. The thing I love about this scent is the way it so accurately matches its description, it's amazing! I can smell the salty sea air, the wood of the ship and a little later, the leather. It lasts a long time too. It's a little too masculine for me, I wish I could get my boyfriend to wear it but he wasn't interested :P . I'm swapping it and I hope it goes somewhere it will be appreciated.

Fresh scent to start. A hint of coconut/suntan lotion scent. Salt and ozone for the duration.

In the bottle: Salty wood. *snicker* No, really. I get a very strong salted wood smell from this. It's interesting even though I doubt that I'll be wearing this. This strikes me as a test it and hand it over to the boy.

Wet: Salty wood with a kick of Bay Rum in the background that's I don't know. Hmmm....salty wood fabric softener now. We all know that aquatics are not my thing and this is fairly aquatic. It's also pretty salty. And woody. I kinda swapped for this one blind in a need to get Imp and Tisiphone out of my house.

Dry down: Hmm...wood and alcohol. Boozy notes go straight to that: booze. So I end up smelling like I'm coming off a three day bender. The salt and water notes in this one, though, really do amke me smell like a drunken sailor straight off the boat and completely toasted. Hmmm...leather and rum now with a salt/water background. This fades pretty quickly. The throw is still water/salt but on my skin it's down to a very slight leather/rum smell. It's too masculine a scent for me to want to wear, but I love trying things out.

Dry: Leather and rum with a salt water throw. Tossing this the boy's way and wasking off.

This isn't a summer scent - it just smells like *summer*. I'm getting a lot of salt, and some wood - like an ocean pier, damp and salt-encrusted and hot from the sun. There may be a bit of leather or something else I can't catch lurking in the background, but mostly salt and wood.

This is such an *odd* little scent - it would never have occured to me to want to smell like salt! But now I do, and it's kind of enjoyable, although not, I think, ultimately for me. It's fun wearing, but I'll probably swap this off to someone who desperately wants to smell exactly like summer. :P

Hmmm Jolly Roger smells sorta like those "Sea Breeze" spray scents you can get in places like Victorias secret- the ones that look like blue water. I've smelled this on scented candles too.

When I can get close enough I smell a bit of sweetness underneath the smell of soap- particularly a Dial Antibacterial scent.

As it settles I do begin to smell sand and suntan lotion- not so much the ocean breeze as the smell of things associated with it.

Hmmmmm... not for me.

At first whiff, it's pure salt and leather, like a saddle after a hard ride. Immediately after that, the oceany tang comes through, with a good glug of rum and something that might be nutmeg. I find myself being so relaxed and happy whenever I wear this, to the point where I am sure to put some on when I know I am in for a long day. I will definitely get a big bottle.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Salty aftershave.

In the imp: Unsurprisingly aquatic in the imp. I notice the leather first, followed after a moment by rum.

On skin, wet: Salty! Nothing of rum, leather or woods, just very salty water. Upscale men's aftershave.

On skin, dry: This got scrubbed off in about ten minutes. For only sampling a tiny bit, this packs a heavy punch.

Conclusion: Sometimes the "traditionally masculine" scents work for me, others they don't. Jolly Roger most certainly does not.

Edited by Aredhel

Bottle (Imp): Whoa, pine!

Just On: Still pretty much pine.

An hour or two later: It's disappeared already.

Around 6 hours: Uh, yeah, it's still gone.

12 hours: Hellooo, why even have this section when it was gone ten hours ago? Yeah, so I'm a dork and keep it anyway.

Overall: This is all pine to my nose, and not something I can really wear. Off to swaps.

After reading other reviews: I'm very sad that I got nothing but pine from this. I want the salty sea breezes dammit.

Jolly Roger is aquatic with an undercurrant of leather. I can't smell rum or wood either. I haven't tried any aquatics for a while now (due to 'OD-ing' on them a while ago), but it's always nice to have a good one at hand. I forgot how good they were.

Ho-boy. Y'know, I really wish I could describe this scent better. It is one of my favourites, and absolutely defies any attempt of mine to nail it down. I have to resort to imagery, I guess.

It's a very cool scent, like the shore of the sea just before dawn, at the tail end of the first autumn night. It's very crisp, too, and penetrating. When I put it on, all I smell is blue, if that makes any sense at all.

Beth gave it a perfect name; this scent is all ocean to me. :P

Both in the bottle, and on me, I got...

...a fabric softener sheet. A really, REALLY potent one. :P

Dangit, I wanted to smell like a pirate.

The generous and lovely ayrdaomei gifted me with an imp of this to supplement another aquatic scent I had purchased from her. I did want to smell of the beach, so I ignored my misgivings about rum and leather and swiped it on.

Sadly, my misgivings were only too well founded. I hate the smell of leather, and this was... well, the smell of leather. And my skin amplifies alcoholic scents to an alarming degree. I smelled like a drunken jockey. Possibly one who had fallen in the ocean some hours previously. Not sexy. Not, alas, piratical. Off to swaps.