Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheDarkMother

Decadence

I love this scent! When I first put it on I immediately thought "cherry / vanilla soda." It's creamy and yummy and so perfectly embodies the word decadence. It's one of those oils that will keep you sniffing your wrist all day. I can't wait til this comes out, I'm buying a big bottle.

Lab description~There isn't one! This is one of the unreleased scents. The lab sent it to me with my last order as a freebie and Brittany latched on to it.

In The Vial~Almond and Cherry. I think this is why I handed over to her after just sniffing it. Cherry doesn't work well on me.

Wet~Very Cherry with a touch of cinnamon. Reminds me of those Luden's Cherry Cough Drops we ate as candy as a kid. Nice blend, but I'm not sure it's me.

Dry~The cherry is fading slightly and it's more vanilla and almond. I don't care for it. I guess that's why it's in Brittany's imp box instead of mine. =)

Later~Decadence faded into a very lovely creamy scent. I liked it better after an hour and half of wear. It still stays in Brittany's imp box, but I might borrow it from time to time. :P

Decadence - I swapped for this from a kind forumite...

In the bottle: Marzipan. This smells exactly like the jar of marzipan currently in my fridge, disappearing spoonful by spoonful.

On me: First there be almonds, but an alcoholic amaretto almond. Then I get a whiff of orange, then just a hint of cinnamon. :D

Drydown: Within a couple of minutes, the amaretto is GONE. Poof, just like that. What's left is an orangey, cinnamony, bubblegummy scent. Don't know where the bubblegum came from, but it's definitely there. It's quite zingy, actually! :P

So I can't decide if I would rather wear this as a perfume, use as a room spritz, or recreate as a cake. It's a gorgeous edible scent! :D

Very sweet. This is strongly cherry; not cough-drop, tacky cherry, but a sexy, sophisticated kind found in alcoholic beverages that I'm legally able to drink in this country. Anyway, there may've been a little bit of almond also, but strong cherry isn't really my thing.

~Decadence~

In the bottle

Almond and citrus

On

Almond and cherry...or orange (?)

The almond goes immediately to the background and the orangey/ cherry comes to the forefront. This is different then any bpal blend I've tried. From the description I thought it would smell similar to Bastet and it does within the first 20 seconds, then it turns almost Akuma-like.

30 minutes

Okay now I smell the cinnamon, but it's not strong, just lets it's presence known and blends rather perfectly with the other two fruits. In fact, I wish the fruit, almond and cinnamon were stronger. This is one I'd have to slather on or reapply often.

Throw:

Average

Scent category:

Foody/Fruity

Summary

A not often found combo here with the almond, orange/cherry and cinnamon.

Everything blends well with each other and no one thing (almond, orange, cinnamon) is stronger then the others. However I do wish this were stronger in total, as it's too gorgeous a blend to disappear so quickly into my arm. I actually put two applications on in order to do this review and I'm still having trouble smelling it enough to point things out. People who know my scent likes know I like me a spicy orange. This wants to be that. If this was stronger it would go up a full point in my opinion to a 4.5.

Purchase again?

Yes. A 5 ml

1-5 rating (5 being best)

ADDED Jan. 17:

126213837.jpg

In the bottle

I can't believe I've had this, saw it in a baggie in my drawer and went "what is that, I've never heard of it?", tried it, then looked for it here and went *thud*

Delectable almond and fruity goodness with just a wee waft of some sensual spice in the background.

On

My nose is either exaggerating or this is the best smelling bpal blend ever.

Almonds, cardomom maybe and either cherry, rasberry sometimes it even smells like orange to me but whatever it is it's damn good. And it's the most lushious fruitness/just the right amount of spice and then that gorgeous almond. Holy mother of God.

30 minutes

The dry down is just better and better.

Throw:

a bit

Scent category:

Fruity/Foody/Spicy

Summary

This smells to me like cherry almond or something and a bit of a light spiciness, so good. I can't believe it, I like this even more than "Bastet".

Purchase again?

God yes, if I could possibly.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

5 without question

Edited to add: This is now in my "Top Ten bpal blends" list.

Bottle (Imp): Oh, yummy sweet! Some spice to that as well.

Just On: Oh. My. Gods. I LOVE THIS. It's sweet, spicy, and beautiful.

An hour or two later: Less sweet, still some spice, and gorgeous.

Around 6 hours: It's starting to fade away to a soft sweet spice. I'm so in love.

12 hours: It's almost gone, with the barest hint of it's sweet spiciness left on me.

Overall: I adore this scent. If this comes out, I'll be in heaven, and will certainly buy it as soon as I can. This captures it's name beautifully, and I want MORE.

After reading other reviews: The almonds didn't overwhelm me at all, in fact, I didn't really smell them that much. I know I should totally pass this on to others to try, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to use it at least a couple more times first, and then surprise somebody with it. It doesn't really remind me of any holidays, it's just decadent, and rich, and wonderful.

I got this in my order yesterday and decided on a whim to wear it today. Love the spicy and almost citrus scent and got very excited to see it was NOT out yet. (Awww, my first unreleased in an order.)

I wish I knew what was also in here aside from the cinnamon, because normally I am not as big a fan of the scent. It's only been on me for about 20 minutes and I want to put on more just so I can smell more like this!

A kind frimp from our darling Lab...and unreleased to boot!

When I sniffed the imp, I was immediately assaulted by cherry flavour, and then a second sniff revealed orange. The fruits calm rather quickly. After the oil had been on my skin for about 10-20 minutes, out came almond and lovely spices

As for the spices, I could identify clove, maybe nutmeg, and...cinnamon? Beneath the spices lurks warm almond. It's a comfy, spicy, familiar scent. It reminds me of Christmastime at my Swedish grandparents' house when I was wee. This oil feels so homey to me, I want to give it a big hug. :P

Decadence will definitely be a winter blend for me; it speaks of cold weather and snow and candles and early sunsets. Around Yule this is gonna be a knockout!

*swoons*

This isn't the first unreleased to fall into my hands, but it is the first one that I tested rather than just sniffing from the imp.

I'm a bit sorry that I did.

In the vial, all I get is this amazing pure cherry, from the almond bouquet.

Wet, there's a second of pure cherry and then on the next breath, there's spice. Allspice and cinnamon and ginger and ... yum.

It stays yum for a good long time. The cherry does eventually calm down and mellow into the almond scent more and that just makes it more yum.

So thus ... I'm a bit sorry that I did test this one because I'm totally in love and if I could do it, I would be adding this one to the list of things that I'm going to get a big bottle of when I have money.

As it is, I'll be hoarding my imp, crossing my fingers and hoping that it makes it to the general catalog because this is, without a doubt, my favorite blend that includes almond.

Mmmmm. :P

Got this in my last order, and discovered it is unreleased. Which immediately made me feel like I was special... :P

Anyway...

In the imp: a very strong almond note, with underlying hints of cherry.

On, wet: Almond on top, with cherry and orange in equal amounts. Very nice. No spice on me yet.

10 minutes later: Almond dissapears. Cherry dissapears. Orange intensifies, and with it, clove. I don't smell cinnamon. This is really really nice, the orange is very strong, the clove adds heat.

20 minutes later: The orange dies down a bit, and the almond reappears. From this point on, it is balanced between orange, clove and almond, with none dominating.

This is really nice. It definitly does seem like a cool weather scent, since it seems warming and comforting at the same time. I could actually see this as a room scent too. Just what you need when winter blues hit. :D

Decadence

Bottle:

Gah, holy shit- pure oranges and chocolate- and not that fake orange smell I hate, but the real deal. The chocolate scent also doesn't smell like the cheap shit you can buy, it smells like the real, expensive deal. There's a subtle note of something else, which is really bothering me, since I can't identify it. Usually I can instantly pick individual notes out of any blend. Hmmm... I think I know why people are saying almond- I think the way the chocolate, orange and that third note are combined created that off shoot of scent- I'm not all that positive that there actually is almond in here.

Wet:

Still oranges and chocolate- and oh my god, so delicious. I've only had this reaction with three other scents- Snake Oil, Miskatonic University, and Jester- but I'm really loving this blend. There is still that elusive note in the mix, but it smells absolutely divine.

Dry:

The orange is really standing out at attention- the chocolate has faded a bit, but it isn't gone or . That third note is still present and growing stronger by the minute. I don't smell the cherry or vanilla scent people keep describing, all I'm getting is a sweet, tangy orange, expensive chocolate and that third scent.

After awhile:

Wow- I found out what that elusive third scent was. *laughs at self* It was actually a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, I think. I'm such a freak- it's so strange that I couldn't pick them out at first. It's probably because they weren't really a prominent scent until a few hours later. Now they are really strong and lovely- good god, so in love with this scent.

Conclusion:

Wow- this scent lasted longer on me than any other scent- I absolutely love this blend. *showers who ever included this in her Springtime in Arkham order with affection and thanks* I think that this scent has surpassed all other scents- it is my absolute favorite. She probably isn't reading this, but good god Beth (though calling you that seems really far too informal), if you have any mercy, introduce this scent for sale- I think I'm dying over here. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but I have been reduced to inane babbling by this wonderful scent.

Decadence was in a group of imps I bought from somebody. In the imp, I smell wonderful almonds plus a little booze, more like almond extract than amaretto.

Wet, it's almond extract to the max, which is great because I love that smell. There's something else spicy and sweet under it, but the almond hides everything else for a while...

..and as time goes on, the scent changes radically on my skin: the almond goes away, almost like flipping a switch, and something a bit softer but still powerful starts. This is startling to me -- not the change, but what it changes to. It smells like... electricity? Electricity from portable generators, and something sweet, and dust, and the aftereffects of sunshine on dust and metal all day but now it's night, and the smell of funnel cakes... huh! This is pretty much what I am hoping Midway will smell like.

After a while of that, it changes again. (Do I just have really weird skin chemistry? And is my nose on crack?) I get something that's almost lilac, but not quite. I think there's cinnamon in the background, too.

Still later, it changes to a fourth thing: berries, or red wine, or some mix thereof, but very soft. There's a tiny bit of cinnamon, and something sweet and salty at the same time, but the whole thing is somehow much calmer and langourous than the previous stages. (If this scent is Decadence, then this phase on me is le petit mort. :P )

Doesn't last all that long, which is the only thing that would keep me from buying a HUGE bottle of this when it's finally released. I like this.

I put Decadence on before leaving the house at 9 this morning and I can just barely catch a sniff of it now at 5. It barely changed at all from the first sniff on the imp wand to the faint remnants left eight hours later. More than anything, I'm smelling orange oil and cloves. It reminds me of the stockings we'd find at my grandmother's house at Christmas, filled with oranges and nuts. This has clove too, I think. There's a very holiday sort of spiciness to it. It's lovely, but I think I'll like it better when it's not 100 degrees outside.

Edited by elphaba

Decadence

In the imp: almonds, amaretto, slightly boozy almonds.

Wet on skin: mmm, smells like Christmas cake with marzipan! There's even a hint of what smells like brandy-which is what my mum puts in her Xmas cake!

Dry on skin: this smells boozy! It's not strong booze, but I think it could be brandy. There's something here that reminds me of cherries, and there's candied citrus peel, and there are spices in here-not sure what sort though. It does smell like brandy soaked fruitcake or Christmas pudding.

After a while: now the citrus peel note gets stronger, it smells like lemons or oranges! There's still a hint of alcohol in here as well. But now, it's very citrus-peel smelling. I was hoping the Xmas cake smell I got when it was wet could have stayed longer. There is a bare hint of something spicy, but it's predominantly candied fruit peel.

As time passes, the spice seems to creep slowly into the citrus scent! Now it starts to smell like a bit like an orange pomander. In fact…I swear this is turning into mulled wine as well! The only problem is that it seems to be fading quickly.

Verdict: this might be the closest to the 'Christmas cake' scent I was thinking BPAL could do as an LE. I wouldn't be surprised if this one was released as a yule LE because it really does smell like the ingredients of Xmas cake-almond marzipan, brandy, and candied fruit, especially citrus peel. First you smell the marzipan, then a hint of booze and spice and fruits, which then becomes a purely citrus scent, which is nice, which then becomes orange pomander meets mulled wine. And the alcoholic note isn't too strong smelling, which is good. The only problem is that it fades fast on me. I'd probably wear this more around Christmas, but I'm not sure if I'd get a bottle (when it becomes available) yet.

Oooh it's somewhat of a desert-y smell, this is. Almond with a touch of cherry cola.

After a while of sitting on my skin it becomes a bit like a root beer barrel plus a touch of almond. Very sweet.

Too sweet for me, in the end.

Edited by aidenraine

In the imp: Almond and cherry

On skin: This smells like Dana O'Shee with cherries! Yay!

After five minutes: Hmm. This has dried down to a baby aspirin or fruit-flavored vitamin smell. :P

After 20 minutes: This is pretty! It smells like bright, pink candy.

It disappeared completely after about an hour and a half. I like this, but the baby aspirin stage and the fact that it faded so quickly make it not for me, ultimately.

I was excited to get this one, as it's unreleased and all... but I was a bit disappointed.

To me, this smelled like a fairly run of the mill almond/orange scent. What it really made me think of is suntan oil. Upon first application, I smelled plenty of almond and an undercurrent of a dry orange scent, accompanied by some spiciness.

Drying down, it's more of a cinnamon orange, but not really a true orange/true cinnamon. It smells a little artificial, like holiday potpourri.

It faded away about an hour after application, even after a fairly hearty slather.

I fully expected to love this one, as I love spicy scents, but I honestly didn't.

I give this one a 2 out of 5

Ooh a new one to try where I actually have to work out whats in it myself!! When I first put this on I really got a cinnamon flavour but it was also quite fruity. Now that it has dried, all I get it a cinamon flavour but it isn't a sweet one. It reminds me of something else but I can't remember what just yet! It is a warm smell. It smells like fruit tea - Winter berries etc Don't think I like this one!!

decadence.jpg

This is a treat for the flesh. The cinnamon, and dragon's blood are perfectly blended, the orange is in there but wisely kept at such a low voltage that it becomes part of the beautiful full picture instead of grabbing center stage then vanishing. I love the cherry-eque/almondy bits that come in and out of it but it is the handling of the orange which you have to take your hat off to. This is a real good blend. I wish I could say it was vastly original but I don't get the shock of the new from Decadence but I certainly applaud its ability to state the fruit and cinnamon clearly and well.

Sad to say, this one doesn't stick around too long but it's great fun while it lasts. If you can get your hands on Decadence, put it on and just treat it as you would a great piece of candy.

Edited by olympia301

Decadence is an orange pomander blend that smells like the holidays to me. I got an imp of this last year as a freebie from the Lab, tried it once, wasn't crazy about it, and promptly forgot that i had it. In reorganizing the depths of my perfume stash, I came upon it, and now I love it!

The almond note burns off pretty quickly on my skin and then it's just mellow orange, spiced with what smells like cinnamon and clove. It's a little like mulled wine. I think there might be a floral in here as well, as the ultimate drydown on my skin smells like a creamy little orange flower. Yum.

This weather is perfect for Decadence, and it is a real treat to be out in the cool October night, catching whiffs of it spiraling around me. It's a beautiful blend.

I ordered this with my very first imp pack from lab; in my newbie cluelessness, I hadn't realized it was unreleased. They sent it anyway! :P Thanks, lab.

This is luscious, it goes on sweet cherry/almond, and dries down to a very light cinnamon and a clear sweet orange. If there is actually cinnamon present, it's very light, and doesn't overwhelm the blend at all. I love it, if it were made available, I'd buy a bottle. It was my favorite of all my imps.

EDIT: If this does contain Dragon's Blood, this is the first DB blend that has worked for me.

Edited by LyndaM

I figured that I would love this, with my preference towards foodie scents, but it really didn't work well on me.

First on, boozy cherryish almonds. Also something like candied orange peel mingling with the almond scent. It's too much fruit and too much almond. It makes me feel a bit sick.

In the drydown, a lot of sharp cinnamon starts to come out. It's not a fresh cinnamon or a foodie cinnamon on me, it smells like cheap cinnamon potpourri. Giving me a vicious headache. There is still a cherry smell underneath the cinnamon, but overall this smells really sharp on me.

Edited by Little Bird

starts off all almondy but quickly turns to ivory soap!!

yup!! that distinctively 99.5% clean ivory soap scent.....

then a twinge of orange zest!!

this one is so very interesting.....me likey a lot!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Part of the unreleased sniffing circle…

In the imp: It smells very foody, mainly almond & marzipan.

On the skin: It changes almost immediately from an almondy foody smell to an orange foody smell. As it dries, spices emerge and it reminds me a bit of homemade quick type Russian tea (tang, cinnamon, nutmeg, lipton tea mix). It remains a spicy orange smell.

It fades fairly quickly on me. Overall, I have to say that I like the drydown a lot more than the opening. I love Russian tea....glad that I got a chance to try this.

In the imp, this is pretty sharp orange. Wet, it blooms into a wet, juicy, spicy orange scent - cloves, cinnamon, orange peel. It's like mulled orange juicy! There's a hint of sharpness that suggests orange peel as well as juice. I also think that there's some sort of base note backing up the fruit and stopping it from becoming too sweet - maybe a dark/red musk.

It's making me think of orange pomanders decorating a Victorian-style Christmas tree in a stately country house. Firelight glittering from red and gold ornaments. Decadent, but in a warm comfortable "overindulging in treats with the family at Christmas" rather than a wild-party-and-orgy type of decadence. :P

I like this one, but the holiday associations are too strong to make this a daily-wear scent. Would be good for a festive Yuletide celebration, though! I suspect it would also be good in an oil burner.