Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RaeiNarcissus

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil

Whiffs of cinnamon bark, almond, and spikenard surround a perfect fruit, whose scent is akin to a tamarind, with the grace of a fine grape, as warm and rich as a fresh fig, glistening red like pomegranate seeds, and as crisp as an apple.

Ooo! I am so excited to try this one-so many notes in here I like! I'm one of the lucky peoples who has no reaction to cinnamon on my skin, and I looove it! If I recall correctly, when I first sniffed this back at will call after it came out I liked it, so I am so excited for a skin test!

Mmmm yum! This smells so good in the imp-warm red fruits and a touch of rich cinnamon bark (though not zomg cinnamon!). A very warm scent.

Oh yeah, this is sooo good! Sort of a candy grape scent + pom + other red fruits, with a touch of cinnamon bark. Maybe a hint of bitter fruit skin. As I mentioned before, this is a very warm scent.

Ok, as it dries it goes way more grape candy-ish. I think another reviewer mentioned grape Koolaid, and I CAN TOTALLY see it! Sort of like a slightly earthy grape Koolaid scent :lol:

Yeah, I sort of liked this before it went candy grape-I have enough candy scents ( :blush: ) so I really liked the wet/imp scent where this was rich and red fruity with warm cinnamon bark. I think on some people it would probably stick that way instead of going grape koolaid/candy. A nice blend though that I enjoyed testing! That imp/wet complexity is really wonderful.

This also actually faded pretty fast on me-within a few hours it was practically gone.

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil smells like vegan fruitcake to me - the kind that is so chock-full of candied fruits that it doesn't actually need to be sweetened by anything else. I definitely get the fig and the pomegranate, as well as a very sweet, marzipan-like almond. There is a little spice from the cinnamon but it's overwhelmed by all the juicy sweetness.

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is pleasant enough but too sweet and food-like for me. For this type of of scent, I prefer Eden, which is a little less sweet and has coconut.

Three out of five stars.

I don't know how, but this turned into figs and black licorice on me. And surprisingly? I like it! It isn't unpleasant and not overly sweet- just enough to make you want to keep sniffing you wrist (and I do keep sniffing it!).

In vial: Sour, pomegranate & cinnamon.

Wet: Tart, tangy, juicy!

Dry: I was a little taken aback at the throw from this one- intense is not an intense enough word! Pomegranate is definitely in the forefront, with little to no apple, fig or grape to sweeten it. My lips almost puckered at the smell of it. My chemistry doesn't agree with this at all!

Verdict: Unfortunately, the throw is killing me. My eyes have been violently watering for the past two hours- I thought it could wait it out, but no more. It is so so bitter & stinging with its sharpness, like I put on spiced pom rubbing alcohol.

The only worse experience I've had with BPAL was Milk Moon '05 (I gagged and washed it off within two minutes).

Tamarind.. ohh, exciting!

Imp: Wow.. this smells.. really foody. As if.. there were a caramel note faintly in the background that held together juicy grape, fig, pomegranate and apple. With a dash of cinnamon.

Wet: Somewhat.. boozy and juicy. Sweet and still.. like caramel or cake. A bit fizzy. Reminds me of rum raisins.. but that's just not it. I think the almonds add to the sickly sweet & foody appeal of this scent.

Dry: This one goes really.. sharp, acrid and bitter on my skin. Fennel/celery plus burned sugar plus fish oil. Wow.. as if something has gone really bad and stayed on my skin for days. Must wash off! :(

Overwhelming cinnamon and pomegranate at first. Started to get a little of the fig just before it started developing a dusty/musty smell. I'm not liking this one very much at all.

I was a little worried this would be overwhelmingly sweet but... It's not bad. I can tell there is a drop of cinnamon in there but the fruit that I'm smelling the most is grape. The pomegranate comes out as it stays on my skin. I like this enough to use my imp but if I wanted a grapey scent, I'd reach for Titania before this one.

Got this as a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: This definitely gives me the impression of a fruit I've never smelled before. All the different fruit notes together make a really unique scent. There's a tiny bit of cinnamon, but I smell the fruit notes more than anything.

On my skin, wet: The cinnamon blooms on my skin beautifully, and it's not overpowering at all. Now there's warm spicy woods surrounding that interesting fruit. I really like this.

Dry: The fruit eases up and softens to a full and sweet complement of the woods. The whole thing is slightly powdery now, but not very much so. I never do get much almond- I can get a faint whiff if I concentrate, but mostly I don't even notice it.

This is a wonderfully different woodsy fruity scent. I think it'd be nice to wear in early fall especially.

Edited by lilyliza

This was a frimp, and I'm feeling mixed about it. Overall, it is a nice scent – fruity in a light way, not candy-like, the cinnamon is light and sweet, unlike other spice blends I've gravitated toward. I like it, but it's not quite my thing in terms of wearing it. I'm planning on keeping it and adding it to a candle or burner some time.

In the imp: Fruity, with some warmth from fig. Quite complex.

On skin, wet: Figgy goodness, with a little apple.

On skin, dry: The apple is getting stronger and the fig fading into the background. No cinnamon, which is surprising--I usually amp the heck out of it.

After an hour: No more fig, alas. Mostly apple with just a hint of something more sour. Maybe tamarind? Nice, but too similar to other apple scents I have.

In the Imp (ITI): Whiffs of tamarind, apple, fig, and just a touch of cinnamon.

Wet: Sharp, crisp apple with bits of fig, some grape, although the cinnamon is a strangely lacking on my skin. It’s ever so slightly sinister.

Dry: Delicious still – warm apple and fig muddled together with the enticing scent of cinnamon and the mysteriously lovely tamarind.

Received as a frimp from the lab.

Preconceived Notions (concept borrowed from Penance): Man, I don't know. I like cinnamon and almond, but fig can go bad on me. I guess I'll just have to try it.

Imp: Smells like a sour-sweet candy. Sour gummi worms in particular.

As soon as I apply it to my skin, the cinnamon blooms and makes it much more spicy. Unfortunately, now it smells like cinnamon gum or candy. I like it more as it starts to dry - it becomes a warm, baking-spice type cinnamon, with what smells like musk underneath (I'm guessing this is the spikenard as it's supposed to have a musky smell.) It's not bad, but there's still kind of a candy-thing going on, and I have other blends (especially Spicebush Swallowtail) that I prefer for this sort of scent.

Edited by sunlitgarden

:::THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL:::

Any Frimp is a good Frimp. The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil promises a slap and a tickle. A memory of writing a review for this one already was nagging somewhere in the back of the incessant internal narration, but a peek through the files revealed the contrary. Must have been The Tree of Life.

Anywho, all of the notes seem friendly enough, and there have yet to be any tears shed over the degree of sleep deprivation, so the time is nigh for a good scribble!

From the Imp: [/color]The only definitive thing detectable thus far is the Apple; and that insists on being cheekily vague. There seems to be something akin to a child-friendly wood here, too; white, untreated, and perfectly safe. The only other things at this phase that draw any notice whatsoever is a soft, pink Rose (?) and the fumes from a caterpillar-chewed leaf. The Tree of Knowledge is perfectly innocuous so far. I can’t tell if this is something reserved, grandfatherly, and asleep on its feet or if it is holding a fearsomely proportioned sledgehammer behind its back.

On the Skin: Sneaky devil! From the treetops come coils of Almond and Grape. The glitteriest scales are precisely the hue of Cinnamon, and the other notes are content to titter in the flickering foliage overhead.

Eventually, the other notes flee into warm, fuzzy memory, but the Cinnamon stays stalwart showing a row of Tamaring-tinged teeth.

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil seems as though it has been formulated with Her in mind.

This would also make a wonderful atmospheric for those partial to using these formulas as a home fragrance.

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil gets a 3.5 out of 5

In the imp: Definitely getting the fruit, whatever it is, and a little bit of the cinnamon. The fruit makes me think apple and cranberry, and maybe…pomegranate?

Wet on skin: Lots of cinnamon! And getting the almond now, too, and spices. The fruit seems to be in the background, but still present.

Drydown: Is that…wood…that I’m getting? Still almond and cinnamon—almond more than cinnamon, though—and the tang of the fruit is coming through. It’s very smoky on me.

Dry on skin: Smoky and cinnamon-y more than fruity, although the fruit is more prominent than it was when it first went on my skin. The fruit is more tangy than sweet, but it’s not too sharp. It’s quite lovely. Definitely considering getting a bottle.

In the imp...a tart, almost cherry scent...

On wet...ooh, lush, juicy fruit. A dark red fruit, with something dark at its core. A nice sharp scent. Smells cherry-ish to me, must be the almond!

On dry...hmmm...interesting. the sharp note continues, mixing nicely with the fruits. A tart wine grape scent becomes apparent in this stage which mingled well with the almond. No cinnamon, but something almost candy like.

It's very nice, well balanced, but I have other things like it. I'm sure someone else will adore it!

Stash rec.

In the imp: Sweet apple, with a different note balancing it out. Not entirely sure what though - it could be a bit of the almond or tamarind - and there's a hint of the grape

Wet on skin: I'm getting more of that "other" note, which I'm leaning towards saying that's the tamarind. I'm not entirely sure, though, since I have no clue what spikenard smells like. There's still a bit of apple and grape, though

Dried down: Nice blend of the tamarind, apple, and grape.

Throw: This one does have a bit of throw - very fruity

Verdict: **** I actually do like this a lot, more than I expected. I probably need to try a few more, but this may become my go-to fruity GC scent, and I think I might pick up a bottle when I get to buying more GC bottles.

In the bottle - Fruity, fizzy; coconut, apple and fig

Wet on me - Again lightly fizzing fruits with a green woody undertone

Dry on me - Soft, sweet fruits

Overall - Sweet unusual fruits doesn't grab me

got this as a frimp from the lab. it's another one of what i call "scented doll" scents because it smells like a strawberry shortcake clan doll on me-sweet fruityness and plastic. BPAL's plum note usually does this on my skin. maybe this is grape? but it smells a lot like the plum note, at least on me. i can smell the cinnamon faintly in the background, but this is mostly cloying fruit on me. i wish fruit notes worked better for me, but alas....

I wish I were getting the same scents wafting from my skin as the description, but, alas, this wasn't meant to be. This blend is syrupy fruit with an undercurrent of, I'm not too sure how to put this, an off-putting darkness. I don't know if it's just my chemistry or what, but there is a "disturbing note" for lack of a better descriptive term - which takes about an hour or two to diminish. Only then, do I find this scent more appropriate and wearable. Unfortunately, I don't want to sit through two hours smelling myself and thinking something doesn't smell right. Ah well, glad I got a chance to try it out.

Wow, this is nice. It's fruity and nutty and there's the subtle spice of cinnamon. It kind of reminds me of a warmer, more complex Eden, which makes sense obviously with the name connection. And Eden is one of my GC favorites, but this might be even better. LOVE.

Interesting blend!  I get a golden sweetness at first which I think I've smelled in other things with "spikenard," so maybe I'm starting to hone in on that note.  :)  There's also something nutty, but that quickly shifts to a warm fruitiness.  Without looking at the notes, I got a mix of apple, raisins, and undefinable fruit conglomeration.  Looking at the notes, I think the "raisins" are probably a mix of the grape and earthy fig, and I smell a dash of tart pomegranate as well.  It's all seamlessly blended.  This is like a fruit cake without the cake.  It's yummy, but not really me.  It was a treat to try though!