Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tigrrrlily

Maud Ruthyn

How marvellously lie our anxieties, in filmy layers, one over the other! Take away that which has lain on the upper surface for so long—the care of cares—the only one, as it seemed to you, between your soul and the radiance of Heaven—and straight you find a new stratum there.

Fresh wheat, honeycomb, rosehips, nectarine, climbing roses, and myrrh.

I had this idea that the wheat was going to smell delicious and the honeycomb would be the thing that sold me... Sadly, no.

If you like Roses, which I typically do not, then you will probably like this one.

In the bottle- rosey fresh and nectarines, not like red or white roses, they are really sweet and innocent smelling, for some reason, they smell little and pink to me.

On- Not getting the myrrh, and the honey is barely barely there. Its really sweet, and there is something vaguely grain-like in the background, its a dry scent, like something left in the sun and parched. The nectarines are really juicy and not very fruity. Mostly its roses and the sharp tang of the hips.

After a few hours, unfortunately (for me) its still mostly roses and a little of the powdery myrrh smell.

This was this afternoon, and just now (at 11PM) I dabbed it on again, and it reminds me of the perfume you'd give a girl whos beyond single note scents.. heres something a little more complicated, young lady. Its better now, than I thought it this morning. The myrrh is more present. Hmm. I could get used to, I think. Beth has a way of doing things with say, rose, or patchouli to where I can actually wear and like them. But anyway, if you're into rose and girly and innocent, this is for you!
Edited by Shollin

in the bottle: honey wheat and rosehips (NOT rose, not yet, anyway)

wet on skin: same- sweet, heady and delicious :thud:

dry down: the rose- a sweet pink variety- has taken the lead, though the wheat and honey are still certainly present, given me the feeling of being in a field of wheat, while eating fresh honey of a thorny rose. ;)

in all: honeyed rose and ripe august wheat. sound good? you'll LOVE it!

:wub2:

interesting post script:

*combined* with her partner Silas, is a close approximation of Crypt Queen- though niether alone gives any hint of it. interesting, no?

This is definitely a soft, warm wheat with sweet honeycomb. The rosehips seem to brighten and enrich the blend. I do get a hint of the nectarine in there which is really lovely.

As this wears on, the rosehips seem to grow more lush and floral but the honeycomb and wheat remain ever-present. This is a really delicate, soft, beautiful springy-floral blend to me. Warm. Inviting.

First impression in bottle: Katrina Van Tassel. Honeyed rose. :yum:

On skin: Still honeyed rose. A little bit of tang from the rosehips and possibly the nectarine. This has a darker depth than Katrina, which must be the wheat. I'm not getting very much myrrh, but that could be contributing to the darker bottom. As it dries, I am getting small whiffs of the nectarine and it reminds me a teeny bit of Gaoler's Daughter but without the gardenia. However, the rose is predominant on me.

Didn't think I would find a honeyed rose I loved more than Katrina... but I'm thinking this is it!! Might have to procure more before they sell out.

:wub:

Edited by TwilightEyes

As with most rose blends, this is mostly rose on my skin. I do get a golden grassiness behind that though which at least makes this less blaring-headache-inducing-rose. If you have issues with rose then you're probably not going to fare much better with this one than I did. But if you LIKE rose, I think the golden grassy note here compliments it well!

I was really interested in the wheat, so I got a decant. Unfortuneately, all I get is a honeyed rose, that fades to just rose. I tried washing this off, but man is it a strong one. If you like rose, you'll probably like this.

In the bottle, this smells sickly sweet and powdery. It actually reminds me of tropical punch drink powder. Perhaps the nectarine is giving me that fruity impression.

I was sure that I would hate this after smelling it in the bottle, but it's actually very pretty on my skin at first. All of the notes swirl together and give off an impression of a sweetly scented rose dusting powder. Honeyed rose scented powder. In the drydown, it's not quite as soft or good on me. The rose goes very sharp and perfumey, and the other notes go into hiding.

In the end, Maud is too sharp of a rose for me. I have so many rose blends that I already love; this one just isn't a standout for me (especially since it starts to give me a headache after a while).

Mmm, honeyed rose--this is very similar to Katrina van Tassel on my skin, but the myrrh gives it a depth that sets it apart. If Katrina's a girly scent, this is a womanly one. A slight tangy fruitiness from the nectarines is barely detectable. Very nice and feminine--I like this one.

In the bottle: Pale golden oil. Sweet, fruity, floral...and a little heady. The honey-wheat combo is almost cloying, but the nectarine is very juicy, and the roses strong.

Wet: Okay...cherry! Maraschino cherry to be precise. That's what the cloying sweet fruity note is. There's also a soapy edge. I'd swear there's jasmine in this, actually; the roses stand apart.

Dry: Much more wheat has come out, as well as some delightfully sour-bright rosehip, but the cloying fake sweetness and soapy edge are so unpleasant.

Later: Roses really amping; these are the first to hit from a distance. Sweetness fading, thankfully. Much nicer now. Reminds me a bit of Vasakasajja.

Summary: The terrible cherry note fades, leaving mostly juicy-tart nectarine & rosehip for fruit, rich honeyed, almost nutty wheat, and intense rose with a soapy edge. Strong throw.

Initial maraschino and soapy tinge make this unwearable for me, alas - otherwise it would have been a winner. I'm also not crazy about nutty/grain notes. I will say that myrrh, which I dread, never made an appearance.

Wet it smells like crazy roses...rose, but mottled by something sour. But on, it turns into this bouquet of sweet rose, and ripe, bursting fruit, and a almost-greeness which I'm assuming is the wheat, but it's growing wheat and not baked wheat. This is one of those scents that's lackluster in its original form, but just sparkles with the right skin chemistry.

Oh sad. On wet, I really got the tangerine, but it's dried to a rose with a hint of wheat blend. Erm... Yeah. Not my cup of tea.

Maud Ruthyn - This is primarily a rose scent, but it's not your typical rose. The wheat is actually really strong and blends with the rose in a way that tames it and tones it down, making this a sweet, floral, yet earthy scent. The nectarine is barely discernible, yet lends the slightest bit of a juicy sweetness to the scent, and the honey lends an almost silky texture to the scent. I don't smell the myrrh at all. This is really beautiful -- a subtle and light scent that's absolutely perfect for summer.

straight sniff from imp is honeyed nectarine..... :D

wow....this is sooooooooo creamy when applied....a touch rose with

something grainy and sweet fruit...amazing...this is a true beauty and

i need a big ol' bottle... =-)

This is gorgeous! An utter surprise for me :) I was frimped this luscious scent by a lovely forumite and I'm so glad. I was hoping to try this for the wheat since i'm a grains/hay nut. It went on in the juiciest burst of golden nectarine followed by a wave of cream :yum: Sooooo good. Now that it's drying it's become a creamy nectarine with a hint of rose in the mix. The myrrh and wheat stay in the background rounding things out. Warm, wet and sharply juicy. Fantastic scent!

This remains to be honeyed rose with wheat from beginning to end for me. The wheat balances the honey and keeps it from going overly sweet. The scent stays quite bold for hours. This scent made me realize I can enjoy a rose fragrance. My nose doesn't detect the fruit.

I was worried at first, as the rose attempted gamely to take over. The scent in general seemed to heat up, like the nectarines, roses and honeycomb were either rasing their own heat by battling it out, or lying exhausted in the sun.

They do settle down, very gradually. Apparently the wheat arranged a truce or something.

Once everything clams down, over an hour and a half in, it's a well blended rose/nectarine/wheat/honeycomb scent. It is still a warm scent; Nothing here is cool and wet with dew, that's for certain.

In bottle: wow, gorgeous floral scent

Wet: More subdued. The wheat seems to keep the roses from dominating everything.

Drydown: the honey and nectarine are coming out now. This is really a complex blend here!

Lovely floral, subtle and discreet. Beautiful.

I got frimped this in an order, and I normally would have avoided it due to the rose note - I'm just not a flowery person, and floral notes tend to scream unpleasantly on my skin - but I figured since I had it, I'd give the honeycomb, wheat, and myrrh a chance.

In the bottle: Oh wow, honeycomb. I expected to smell more of the rose.

Wet on skin: Oh THERE'S the rose. Not potpourri-ish, though. These smell like tiny, pink sweetheart roses. A little girly for me but not bad.

Drydown: Starting to go to a dimestore rose scent, but with a hint of something bolder in the background that is barely saving it.

Summary: Pretty good for a rose scent, but still too rose-ish for me, I'm afraid.

For some unremembered reason, I expected Maud Ruthyn to be all oatmeal and honey and a little rose, but in the bottle it's more like . . . super-sweet fruit with a squish of rose. It smells like cherries, actually, although that may be the nectarine blending with something else?

On my skin there is a floral of doom. It reminds me of jasmine, but with less stompy boots. It gives it that new-carpet edge that I loathe. Aside from that, there's sweet nectarine and a little quiet rose.

This just doesn't work on me. I really expected to love it, too. Boo.

In bottle: The tang of juicy yellow nectarines! Oh yum.

Wet: Nectarine is most prominent, a little straggling bloom of rose joining it. As it dries, the rose bursts forth most delightfully.

Dry: After a couple of hours of rosiness which gradually fades, the honeycomb sidles over, warm & silky. I am thinking now that I have been smelling the fresh wheat all along, but it's golden dryness wasn't apparent underneath the rose/nectarine aura. There is still a drop of nectarine, & it blends so well with the velvety roses & sweet honeycomb that unless I smell very closely to the skin, I would forget about the myrrh. Usually myrrh doesn't agree with me, but in this case it gives a softly smoldering, late summer afternoon sort of feel, without being inordinately spicy or overwhelming in the least.

Verdict: Maud Ruthyn is summer, bottled. The last weekend of a holiday at a country manor where lazily dry afternoons are spent wandering the gardens, passing trellised roses in bloom, searching for hives containing combs full of wild honey. A juicily ripe nectarine stains your chin as you bite into it, walking through the older rosebushes who've scattered their hips like rubies about your feet. The sun shines lowly through the resin-jewelled branches of an old tree, as a hot breeze blows the scent of ripe wheatfields awash in a touch of golden spice by.

I took a chance & got a bottle unsniffed, and I am glad now that I did. I am partial to roses, so the stage when they were prominent didn't put me off. It is definitely worth waiting out, because the later honeycomb/wheat/myrrh stage is so beautiful. I am looking forward to wearing this in hot weather- it is sweet without being heavy or syrupy, and it has a warm feeling that is tempered by the thin tartness of the nectarine & rose hips. Simply divine.

now normally i can't do BPAL's honey note, and fruity notes generally don't work on me, but once i found that i adored the nectarine note in ebisu, i figured i would try more scents with nectarine in them. this one is mostly honey, nectarine and rose. it's VERY sweet. it's too sweet for my tastes, as the honey must pump up the sweetness in the nectarine. it's actually setting off my allergies a bit when i smell it. it smells very young and perfumy to me, and reminds me a bit of prescriptives calyx. like something i maybe would've worn in high school. the notes sound beautiful, but this is just far too sweet for my tastes.

In my ongoing quest to find rose scents that work on me, I snagged a bottle of this some time ago but never got around to reviewing it.

Bottle: This smells a lot like Schlafende Baigneuse in the bottle, which is a-okay with me since that's one of my favorites. I get the same fresh, clean rose and citrus, only in this case it's backed by a lot of round honey and a green springy note that must be the wheat. There's a nice Vitamin C tartness that I remember from rosehip tea as well.

Wet: Sweet honey, green sap and stems (wheat?), fresh nectarine rind, a hint of resin and a really lovely, blooming fresh rose.

Dry: An almost dusty green smell, very much like a hot wheatfield, combined with a fresh rose and a bit of citrus. Lovely, but very very similar to Schlafende Baigneuse. I'll have to deathmatch them, but I think SB wins.

On my skin, I get lush nectarines, and roses. As it dries, I get more of the rose note (which is a death note for me), and some creamy honey silkiness. It's a lovely blend, even if it isn't for me.

Edited by ralenth

Oh so Beautiful......and it's a bit of a morpher......which I love.

I get the rosehips and honeycomb right away......tempered by the wheat. Then the nectarine gets juicy and forward and, exactly as people say, small pink roses bloom.
I also started to throw a very interesting citrus note as it started to dry down.....it became a real medley of notes that flashed around all mad cap for a minute.....
And now on the dry down.... it's a very forward blend of roses...English and hips and tea buds, creamily mellowed by the wheat and the honeycomb.

I just love it! Thank you to Sara for pointing it out to me. I'm a walking Summer Garden Party!

This smells like a very pretty sweet rose scent on me. I like for my roses to smell round and soft, not green and thorny. If you get what I'm saying. This is the nice soft kind. Pretty petals. It's quite feminine, I think, and I like it. Not sure it's my favorite rose scent ever, but it's certainly one of the good ones.