Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

I get a little nervous around milky scents but this is beyond milky. The ginger is so light and blends well with the creamy milky scent. This just smells clean and elegant. This reminds me a lot f Lush's ginger perfume. Light and elegant. I am very surprised at how much I am loving this scent.

I had heard so many wonderful things about this scent, but absolutely nothing prepared me for what this scent did when it touched my skin...

in the bottle: ginger - crisp yet warm and slightly cinnamony

From the second this touched my skin to the last fading moments of glory it smelled like Lush's Floating Island on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since I have taken a Floating Island bath once a week every week for about 4 years now I really wish I would have tried this scenter earlier.

10ml here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew I loved this on first sniff at the Meet n' Sniff, and I am very grateful to simplyfussfree for her parting with her imp. I was a little nervous of milk and honey, but the ginger and the milk balance perfectly.

Don't know what the ambrosia is - but this a new favourite!

This ended up being the Keyser Soze of BPAL on me.

It starts wonderfully; the honey and the ginger create a nice, spicy base to the sweetness of it. It was subtle, it was warm.....

and just like that - it was gone.

About an hour later it came back transformed into pure honey, which I like, but I liked the starting notes much better.

Not for me.

Edited by Ghost Light

I ordered Sudha Segara from reading posts about "if you liked _____, try ____", and it seemed that if I liked Dorian, O, etc., I would like this. I went for the 5 ml bottle right off the bat.

The ginger is there at first sniff in the bottle. Not ground ginger, but fresh minced ginger that has that citrusy tang to it.

Also in the bottle, I got a whiff of...carpet shampoo. Odd, but something about this straight from the bottle reminds me of the shampoo I got with my carpet shampoo machine. This isn't a bad thing, but a little surprising.

And something (again, maybe from the ginger) is peppery.

Something in there (milk+ginger?) is saying "chai".

On drydown at 15 minutes, the milkiness came out more, and the citrusy tang went away. Still looking for honey, though.

after an hour, the honey comes out, very non-aggressive and milky/creamy. The ginger is still there but as a soft undernote.

I wouldn't use this as my main *honey* scent, but it is a nice, light scent that is calming and soothing, but a little spicy. I think I would love this in a body product--very enjoyable scent while fresh, but you could add another fragrance after your bath or lotion without getting major clash.

In the bottle: The first note listed was sweet milk, but I smell ginger. I like ginger much more than milk. We're already off to a pretty good start.

Wet on skin: Still ginger, but a bit creamier. Like a nice lotion, or maybe chai. It's not quite like gingersnaps, but as I said, very much like a good chai.

Dry on skin: My skin is still loving this. Once again, I smell gingery chai. I love how my skin is amping up the ginger just enough so that it's the main note but not smothering whatever else is in there. I can smell a teeny bit of honey as well.

Verdict: This is going on my 5ml bottle wishlist. The ginger showed up a lot more than I expected, but this worked out to my advantage. I got it as a freebie in a swap. Lucky me!

My nose seems to have a hard time detecting this one. Or perhaps it's just very, very subtle.

I get the faintest hint of something a little sharp in the beginning. Perhaps lavender, although that isn't mentioned. Perhaps there is lavender in the "ambrosia."

After a few minutes, the ginger just pokes through in a nice, but faint way.

Finally, lastly, I get the honey in the background, but again very faint.

I like this, but wouldn't buy a bottle because it's so hard to detect.

Edit: One hour later, surprise, there seems to be more scent there. The components are more integrated, and while it's still too faint for me, it has become something quite elegant and beautiful.

Edited by KateW

Imp: ginger.

Wet: Where'd it go?? I can barely smell it!

Dry: Faint ginger and honey, maybe a little cream?

Verdict: Spot on for a very faint version of my The Thymes Ginger Milk Whipped Body Cream. Love love love the lotion, especially in winter. However, I don't need a weaker version.

Nice to meet you, but you're going up for swaps!

In the Imp: Smells clean and a very hazy ginger. I know it's hard to say something smelling hazy but here it is.

First Contact: A simple clean blast of milk and ginger. The honey and ambrosia never really come out, it seems as though both the ginger and the milk are taking over everything.

5 minutes later: I can see why people describe this as the perfect summer scent. It's so light and pretty. The other scents are coming out now but none of them seem to dominate the milk and the ginger. It reminds me of Kumiho but without the zip that the tea and hint of lemon provides.

20 minutes later: About the same but very much subdued.

I think I'll stick with Kumiho as my fresh ginger scent. For a creamier alternative however, try Suda Segara.

Yummy yum yummy

Sudha Segara is warm and calming transporting me back to a time when my life was a lot easier and I felt safe and warm. In the bottle all I can smell is the warming smell of ginger but about 15 minutes after putting it on I smell milk and honey smell with just a pinch of ginger it is yummy and reminds me of warm milk and honey when I can't sleep. After a few hours the smell is more milk and honey.

The scent is not strong after a few hours I can't smell it too strongly on my wrist but every now and again I catch a whiff of it floating around me and it brings a smile to my face.

A good scent for days when I am feeling down and need comforting. I think it would also make a fantastic sleep scent.

Blackrosepassion

In the bottle, this is spicy and “high-pitched”... minty, almost? Not what I expected. (I also managed to tip over about half the bottle onto my desk. I must be more careful in the future!)

As this scent dries, I think the scent that makes me think “mint” is actually the ginger. It is still a very cool scent, despite being spicy... almost detached. More warmth seems to be seeping into it as it dries... yes, it’s definitely becoming warmer now. (Or else it’s reacting with my desk. This area is going to smell like Sudha Segara for a bit.)

As this was drying, I passed my wrist to one of my roommates, who promptly informed me that it smelled like "aggressively sweet" honeysuckle and baby powder. Ah-hah! That’s what people mean by scents going powdery! (I recognize this is a weird thing to rejoice over, but at least I understand it now.) My desk is still spicy because of the spill, but my wrist is smelling more and more like... baby powder. Sweet baby powder... but, inevitably, baby powder. Argh, and yet... argh with knowledge.

Over an hour, Sudha Segara faded slowly over the past hour towards something that stopped shrieking baby powder to me, but I still wasn't wild about the scent. It remained a high scent... not necessarily light, but a sweetness with no lower notes at all. I think I would prefer something with a bit more substance.

(edited to catch a typo)

Edited by jasmineboreal

For some reason this reminds me very strongly of Embalming Fluid, at least on my skin--so much so that I wondered for a second if the imp had been mislabeled. A clean, very soapy, almost citrusy scent. Not at all what I expected, unfortunately. Looks like this one's for swap.

I wore this today, in an attempt to clear my sinuses. If this is all this attempt of a cold is throwing at me, I thumb my nose at it! Or something.

In the imp: Ginger! Yum ... it's sweet, and warm. I know it's not listed, but I think I smell lemon tea. Not much, just a little.

Wet on skin: Ginger mellows out a little, it's not as biting anymore, still warm though.

Dry: Ahh, now I get the milky-creamy thing, but still with a ginger bite ...

Throw is ok, as DH could detect it, then again I wear these for me, rather than for others.

This is everything I hoped it would be - it's not overly sweet, or bitter in its ginger bite; when I place my first lab order, this is a bottle I must own. It feels appropriate for wearing to work, DH didn't mind this one either.

Sudha Segara-

In Bottle: Flowery-gingery. Pretty!

Wet: Very milky as soon as it's on!

Dry: Oh, dear, this fades so quickly. Pity! I did like it, but it's like Dana O'Shee on me--lovely milky scent that doesn't last.

Overall: Too bad. Wish it lasted. (I'll try it in a scent sachet, maybe.)

This scent stays very close to the skin. So much so that when I think it's gone entirely, I put my wrist up to my nose and am surprised at how fragrant it is.

This is all ginger and honey on me. Absolute perfection. :P

I had such high hopes for this one! I love my bottle of O and was out looking for other honey scents to try.

Wet: The promise of honey deliciousness, with a tang of ginger? Lemon?

30 mins later: Lemon tea. Literally the smell of sharp lemon tea. Lots of puckery lemon.

Few hours later: Faded lemon tea. This is sadly a no go with my chemisty. On a happier note, I also got an imp of Hetairae that has turned out to be a wonderful honey perfume on me.

Alas, this one starts out wonderfully, but morphs quickly with my whacky body chemistry... Wet, this is great, sort of a fresh, spice/zing from the ginger, which is the prominant note for me, and a hint of something else (all the other notes seem to blend into one lovely, softly sweet smell); I love this! After a few minutes, though, this quickly turns sharp on me, still with the ginger in the forefront, but reminds me of a really sharp ginger-scented Mr. Clean. Once completely dry, this softens a bit, but I don't think I could wear this, so it goes up for trade so someone else can love it.

In the imp: It's a very light, clean ginger with a hint of cream.

Wet: Plasticky ginger.

Dry: Lovely, creamy, delicious ginger. Lightly sugared, really fabulous.

15 minutes later: Totally gone. *cries*

I really wanted it to last as soon as it dried. It is such a gorgeous scent but my skin eats it up too quickly.

Incredible.

I didn't rank Sudha Segara in the first couple of weeks that I had it, but that was a mistake. It's warm and soothing, yet with enough of a sharp edge to awaken the senses rather than lull me into sleep.

In the vial gingery ginger. Light and tangy and bright.

Wet on the skin still bright, still ginger, a little sweeter and with some milk and honey softening the tang.

Drying it all blends into soft, slightly creamy light on the skin.

A very ephemeral scent, so it needs slathering/reapplication... but that's not a problem for me. I want a 5ml ASAP!!

Creamy, milky ginger. This is absolutely beautiful! It smells edible, but not in a super-sweet kind of way. It actually reminds me a bit of the rice pudding type desserts you get at Thai restaurants.. mmmm!

This stays close to the skin and lasts for a moderate amount of time. It's one of those 'nose against the wrist' kinda scents that needs to be slathered on... heavily. But its soooooo lovely that I have no problem with that. :P

Wow, I got this as a frimp with my lastest order. When I went and read the description, it sounded nice. I wasn't sure if I liked it right out of the imp, but after wearing it for 5 min, I was hooked. It has a spicy, creamy, sweet-but-not-too-sweet smell that really works well for me. I think I'm going to put this on my 5mL wishlist!

In the imp: Ummm Something sweet and very very light and airy. Ambrosia?

Wet: I was totally afraid of the milk in this after White Rabbit turned into sour baby formula with pepper, but I smell no milk. More of that sweet airy scent which I'll assume is Ambrosia, and a touch of ginger. Even wet this is very close to the skin, which I don't think I like, but will probably have occasion to use. There's almost no throw whatsoever. Also, I smell zip on the honey.

Dry: Sweet. I think I finally smell the milk, and praise the gods, it's not sour. It's sweet and soft smelling. Almost powdery, but not. Still no honey, but I do still smell that fruit/floral/airy/sweet Ambrosia whateveritis. I didn't think I'd like this one, and it's still definately not a favorite, but it's a very pretty scent that I'll keep around for those quieter perfume days. Oh, and it picks up just a hint of sweet throw once dry. Very subtle.

In the bottle:

Milk, ginger and a little bit of citrus.

Wet:

Milk, honey, ginger, a little bit of floral. This is really pleasant. There's something really warm and comforting about it. The floral note keeps it from being too foody.

Dry down:

Very light. I'll need to test this with a heavier application, but this is really, really nice. My skin isn't making it really sweet, which is good, because my skin turns a lot of scents to sugar. The ginger is really nice - it's clearly ginger, but it's soft, not sharp and not too strong.

Final thoughts:

I wasn't necessarily expecting this to be THE SCENT for me (not saying I had low expectations, but it wasn't necessarily the scent I was most excited to try), but I think it very well could be a signature scent for me. It just works so well, and it's so lovely. Soft and gentle, not too floral, not too foody. Needs further testing before I would get a bottle, though.