Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

I expected this to be sweeter somehow. I'm not disappointed, just surprised. In the vial, it's nearly all ginger and remains that way while wet initially. Soon it settles into a slightly creamier, yet still very gingery scent. I layered it with Silk Road out of curiosity and wound up with a milky ginger tea that I liked quite a bit.

This is mild and sweet on first application, milk and subtle ginger. After a while, the ginger gives way to a thin honey note, which blooms to sweeten the milk. Calming and lovely, though the honey gives me a little bit of a headache, after too long.

This was warm, mild, and lovely. It's something I would wear when I know I'm going to have a wonderful, happy, relaxing day. I don't really get the honey note, but I do get the milk and subtle ginger. My only problem is that I had to put a ton of it on to get enough throw for it to get just to my nose, let alone anyone around me. I guess I'll just have to buy a bottle- it's definitely worth it!

I absolutely adore this scent! In the bottle, I smell a fizzy, effervescent ginger. It kinda smells like ginger ale. When I wear it though, it gets spicier, and the ginger really shines. The honey is there the whole time adding some sugar to the spice of the ginger, but the milk doesn't really come through. And I don't really know what the ambrosia is, but a couple of hours into the fragrance, I can kind of smell an airy ethereal scent, but it never really peeks its head all the way out. LOVE Sudha Segara! :P

Sudha Segara was one of my first favorites. It smells like sweet milk and ginger ale--which would probably taste disgusting, but it smells wonderful! I've found that the sweet/creamy/milky/ginger scent remains true from the bottle to my skin, through the dry-down.

It's a very soothing, relaxing, cuddlesome scent. :P It's like a nap in a bottle for me: I put it on and I feel sleepy and content, like I'm cuddled under a soft blanket. In addition, the ginger can be calming when I'm not feeling well. When I'm feeling PMS-y or have a cold, not only does it help me feel better and less cranky, it's sometimes the only scent I can stand to wear! I've found that smelling the gentle ginger scent can even soothe a mildly upset stomach. More than just a top ten favorite, it's indispensable!

My notes on this read:

very soft, kind of milky, sweet but not cloying.

as it dries it's fresh and creamy at the same time with a hint of lemon.

overall- soft and clean but not soapy.

i like.

In the imp: Sharp ginger, and something almost... plastic.

Wet: Same, but a lot softer and lighter.

Drydown: The plasticy scent disappears quite quickly, and now this is very light and soft ginger with a milky edge. I can barely smell it.

Dry: It becomes a little stronger as it dries, but it's still extremely soft and light. Warm creamy ginger. It does remind me a lot of Dana O'Shee, but with ginger instead of almond. It's absolutely beautiful, but I wish it were stronger and had more presence and throw (but that's my personal preference). I also wish it lasted longer because it disappears rather quickly.

I suspect this would make an incredible lotion, it's a very luxurious scent. Andrabell's spa idea is something I'd go along with for sure!

Ok - *this* is heaven in a bottle. I put this on the 5ml list as soon as I opened up the sample imp I received. It does smell like ginger and milk and honey - but on me this isn't just a warm, comforting, innocent scent. There is something very sexy about it, very approachable, but distinctly seductive. This absolutely my new favorite BPAL oil.

I really wanted to like this one. I love ginger, milk, and honey, so I thought it was a sure thing. However, it was so incredibly light and watery on me, that I could never get a feel for the blend. I tried three times, then passed it along.

Lovely, comforting, warm scent that reminds me of gingerbread and creamy chai for some reason. Almost exactly what I was looking for. Too bad it fades almost completely within the first few minutes.

Mmm, this is a light light ginger scent, with a little soft sweetness. A toned down, sweet milk-and-honey ginger. When I first put this on I thought I could detect a slight green note, but I can't now. The only problem is that it's a very light scent and I have to put my nose right up to my wrists to smell it. It's so nice, I wish it had better throw!

Soap. Soap with a hint of ginger. Soap with a hint of sweet creaminess. But throughout all, dominantly, soap. Obviously, this is off to swaps.

This is such a lovely fragrance. It's a perfect combination of soft warmth and subtle spice. Gentle, but with a bit of a punch that says "don't take me for granted." Very creamy and warm from the milk and honey, and the ginger (at least to me) isn't easily identifiable as ginger - it's spiciness just nudges its way through perfectly. And incredibly comforting yet subtly sensual scent. It has good staying power, and it has a reasonable amount of throw. If you are in a situation as I often am (I work in healthcare) where wearing strong fragrance is not looked upon favorably, this could be a perfect remedy to that. I love it.

In the bottle I can really smell the ginger; it comes across as really lemony which does not surprise me.

But once applied, it softens into the milk and honey. I agree with an earlier reviewer that it is like Thai Iced Tea. It is a lot lighter/crisper than I like to smell, but I'm thinking of keeping it around as a "good girl" scent.

i really thought i would love this since i love the milk & honey scents...but this seeme off on me. it kinda reminded me of a bowl of cold oatmeal with milk and butter on it thats been sitting ont he table all morning.

Was hoping I would love this but perhaps ginger just doesn't work for me. The ginger in this actually comes off a bit lemony on me. I love the soft milk note though...here's to more milk scents! However, in this the sharp edge that's a little too much like lemon just doesn't work for me.

Edited by neuilly

I just got an imp of this from my lovely Switch Witch and I love it!

In the imp it's a light sweet ginger.

Wet the honey comes out and it's a sweet light honeyed ginger. By the way, I am incredibly suprised that this honey works for me. It's lovely.

As this dries the creamy milk comes out to play and the ginger fades a lot. It becomes a creamy honey with just a hint of spice. Unfortunately it fades rather quickly. But it's just so beautiful in all its stages I'm perfectly happy to reapply often.

This is a lovely, comforting scent.

Ohmyexquisitemilkgingerheaven! This scent is so warm and comforting. It reminds me of my childhood, coming in from a snowy day and curling up with a cup of steamed milk and honey... except with a surprising ginger twist! It's one of my favorite scents to wear when I have insomnia. It just makes me feel nice and fetal and safe. Yumminess x 3548.

The first time I tried this, it disappeared completely within 10 minutes. This review is based on the second application, when I knew to slather:

In imp, and first on: This smells the most like department store perfume of all BPALs I've tried - generic, no notes announcing themselves.

Near drydown: Still a bit of that aldehydic smell, plus lemon. Where's the milk? Where's the honey?

Far drydown: If I bury my nose in my elbow, I get a whiff of tea with lemon. Whah?

It's a no-go.

This is like Kumiho in the sense of no matter what stage of the game we're at, it smells the same. It's like sweet spices with a little softness to it - from the milk? Kinda like gingerbread cake or something. However, after a couple minutes of "this is pretty good", it just becomes spicy... and a boring potpourri spice spicy. I'll try it again later (maybe the way I'm eating is doing something funny), but I dun like it much.

ETA: This is now one of my favorites. It's warm and spicy like dried ginger, with a little sweet prickliness that I've learned to recognize as BPAL Milk and Honey on me. It does with ginger what Alice does with carnation and rose. It's great for fall, for smelling like "You smell good" rather than "Your perfume smells good", and for just... comfort. Once I run out I want a bottle.

Also, I would like to disavow the combination I've given out here of layering it with Bliss to kill Bliss's powderiness. Nothing can kill the graininess of Bliss except a stake right through the center of the bottle to plug it.

Edited by palastinalied

I don't know if it's because my sense of smell has developed since I tried this the first time, or if it's because it's spring now (first tried this in the fall/winter). When I tried this the last time I was kind of meh about it, but this time I really get it. It's ginger and milk, and after the initial sharpness (which is nice and fresh) of the ginger has mellowed I am left with a warm yet fresh, milky/creamy, sweet ginger. Spicy in a very soft and comforting way. Sadly it doesn't have a lot of staying power and I have to slather and reapply a lot. I'm considering ordering a bottle of Sudha Segara anyway. I like it a lot.

ETA: OK, I'm confused about this blend. It behaves different every time I wear it. Sometimes it just goes soapy on me and it's just meh again. Body chemistry issues? I don't know.

Edited by Maia

Wet: Ginger! Warm, almost peppery ginger.

First on: Ginger and ambrosia, and I would guess the milk and honey are making the lovely cream background.

Dry: This is so pretty and warm. The ginger isn't overly spicy, though it does lend a bit of a pepper feel, and behind the ginger is just this golden creamy scent. Mmmm.

Wet, this was cool -- I would almost have been tempted to call it aquatic. I got the milk -- a tall, thin glass of iced milk with a cutting of fresh ginger.

As Sudha dried on me, it was absolutely a skin scent, one of those I have to slather to get the scent at all. When I do get it, though, it's relaxing and clearing; I wore it to bed, and while it wasn't what I'd expect from a jolt of TKO, it was perfectly comforting for that moment. Sudha also has really nice staying power. I kept sniffing to get the lemon and ginger, which merged into a layer that was almost classic-perfumey, but stubbornly different from that.

Like many before me, I suspect I'll be using Sudha as a layering base, maybe to boost incense-y blends that otherwise disappear on me, like Othello or Manila.

This is one scent that needs to be slathered on. The first time was so light I really couldn't smell it all. I tried it again and that is when I could smell the delightful ginger and light spices. It is warm and comforting like a banket. This would also be great in a scent locket, which I just happen to have! :P

in imp: ginger, warm and sweet

wet: ginger that's markedly different from the Lab's usual note… it's not sharp, but rather sweet and slightly spicy. The honey brings an exotic scent to the mix. But oooh, this baby burns, ever so slightly. Eeeks!

dry: oh no, the milk in this is going the way of nearly all BPAL milk oils on me… sour. On drydown, Sudha Segara smells a LOT like what White Rabbit ended up being on me (which makes sense, since they share a bunch of notes). Somewhat too masculine, too peppery, too sour… and the stinging arm doesn't help. Swapping this one.