Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
asa805

Sudha Segara

Named after the primordial ocean of milk where Lord Vishnu reclines upon the thousand-headed Naga. Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

In imp: cream with a hint of orange (that would be the ambrosia) and a touch of ginger

Wet: creamy ambrosia! This is divine!

Drydown: Still divine! I'm in LOVE!!

An hour later: Still there, but faint. Will have to slather this one, obviously. Must get a bottle with next order.

Note on ambrosia--this smells exactly like the ambrosia dish that my mom's family makes for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's a traditional Southern (US) fruit dish (yes, named after the food of the gods) with oranges, apples, bananas, cherries, pecans, coconuts and sugar.

In Bottle: Um, Coke. Why does this smell like Coke to me? It seriously smells carbonated.

Wet: Warm and milky, with a bit of ginger.

Dry: This doesn't change much. The ginger's amped a little more. Mostly milk, though. It's comforting, but not my favorite thing in the world. It doesn't stick around long, either, and doesn't have much throw.

This is a gorgeous round, sweet, creamy ginger...but it so SO VERY insubstantial, even when slathered.

A beautiful scent but so light and lacking in lasting power :(

Mmm, a very nice milky citrus. It kind of smells like Embalming Fluid when wet, but dries to a lovely, creamy lemony orange. I wish I got more ginger, though I really do like this a lot. It really fades fast, though. Still, I am contemplating a bottle. This smells very much like a baby or a young child. LOVE it (while it lasts). :wub2:

this one smelled weird from the imp, wet it smells very similar to verbana.

then it dries to something very pleasant which i assume to be a combination of milk and ginger. verbana is still there, but in the background.

i do agree that it's very light, and tends to fade very quickly. i would probably go through my imp very quickly! if only it was stronger and lasted longer!

Edited by fairhall

Imp: Why that's lovely. Very light, creamy, with something else to warm it up and deepen it. Must be ginger.

On dry: Huh. The same as before, only now it has a whiff of chlorine in the background. Like milkiness put on skin after you swim in a chlorinated swimming pool.

Not strong enough to wear alone, but could be used as a milky layering note. I may try it with White Rabbit and try to make milky tea, hopefully sans chlorine.

ETA: Aaaannd within half an hour its vanished. After 15 minutes, you wouldn't smell it unless you knew what you were looking for.

Edited by moosue

Sudha Segara is such a pretty scent, but yes, so very insubstantial. I can hardly ever smell it, although my mother complimented me on it when we were in the car together, so it must have some throw. With that said, in the four and a half years I've had my imp, it's never gotten weaker. It smells like what I'd like my skin to smell like- shining, clean, warm, and glowing. It is milky, and the honey, ginger, and ambrosia notes twine into it beautifully. I want to love it, I want to smell like this, but it is so faint that it makes it hard for me. But it is so pretty.

This disappeared on my skin within 5 minutes.

I agree with someones comment above that it smells like Embalming Fluid when first applied. Drying (and fading) its warm powdery flowers and ginger (not super spicy cause I HATE ginger spice smell, more like ginger flowers) If only it lasted!

In the imp: Something citrusy, not really the orange that everyone is getting. Plus something strange, maybe herbal. Hummmmm...

Wet: I'm hinting something peppery, probably the ginger and citrus again.

Dry down: Nothing creamy here. Just a funky smelling citrus. I like a nice juicy orange or tangerine but this is neither. Not much throw at all and my skin seems to be eating it.

I'm glad I got to try it, but it's not for me.

This is mostly aquatic on me. A very calm scent, its got that salty aquatic feel with ginger and citrusy notes and just a hint of milk. I was really really hoping for something more creamy with the ginger, but not with my skin chemistry apparently :) I like it and I'll be keeping my imp, but its just not what i was hoping for.

In bottle: Ginger and floral most dominant, with a smooth milk and honey undertow. This is lovely in it’s richness. Wet: Vaguely cakey now, but otherwise much as in the bottle. I’ not sure if ambrosia is meant to smell like lilies, but it does. This is an excellent use of the ginger/honey combo. It is too feminine on my skin, but would be lovely on most people, I think. Dry: Fast fades to a soft honey ginger blend.

In the imp: Lots of spicy citrus, honey and some creamy soft florals

Drying on my skin: The spicy citrus morphs into a light ginger, sweetend by the honey. Everything is shaded by a kind of milky creaminess.

Throw and staying power: Medium throw, about 6 hours

Colour impression: Glowing very pale gold

Verdict: Lovely! Very comforting, glowing and warm - soft gingery perfection!

imp: fresh water and light cream. interesting.

wet: there is something fresh and almost green-smelling here. the effect is to really make one think of spring water. the cream is very light and i'm not getting much else aside from an indistinct sweetness.

dry: this sorta reminds me of a lighter version of dirty, slightly sweeter and creamier though.

I was expecting something creamy and delicious with a nice gingery bite, and it was... but a quick fader, unfortunately. Three hours later, even if I put my nose right up to my wrist there is just the faintest hint of ginger. Aside from the fast fade, lovely.

In vial: smells like clean... nothing.

On, wet: reminds me a bit of clean laundry? with spicy ginger.

Dry: mostly slightly spicy ginger over that indefinable ivory-colored scent (which I suppose is BPAL's 'milk and honey' for me - I like it!). Lasts pretty well, surprising for such a mild scent.

This isn't bad but isn't really perfume for me. Will be giving it away. I'm really glad I tried it, though, because I have the 'baby powder' issue, and I hadn't tried a milk/honey fragrance before because I was worried it would be one of the notes that do that on me.. thrilled to find it is not, and looking forward to trying a more complex honey scent.

I find this to be extremely bland, but in a very comforting way. It's hard to explain. It smells sort of like Indian food being cooked a few apartments away; it smells sort of like a very upscale head shop; but in a pleasing, calming way. Unfortunately, like most of BPAL's milk notes, this turns into rotten cheesefootcrap horror on my skin, but it's very nice in a scent locket.

In the Imp: spicy / gingery / sweet

Wet on Skin: A strong ginger scent. My friend smells baby powder. Second test: sweet, a bit musty.

While Drying: This reminds me a bit of Alice. I'm starting to pick up some of the baby powder that my friend noticed (probably the honey).

After a Little While: This is going a bit funky. The ginger adds a nice touch of spiciness, but I think the milk and honey combo is disagreeing with my skin in this blend.

Later: The funk has gone away. I can pick out the milk now, and a hint of ginger. The honey is very faint. This faded quite fast.

Final Thoughts: I tested a ~2-3 year old imp. I'd be interested in comparing this with a fresh imp, though I'm not a huge fan of the way most milk scents have turned out on my skin.

Sudha Segara earns a 2.5/5 on my skin.

In the imp, this is milk and ginger and orange. On my skin, this is ginger and honey and orange and maybe a bit of milk? This is really interesting, we'll see what this does. Going onto a second skin test just for how interesting this is. Ginger and orange amp on the full skin test, just not for me.

Edited by Venneh

At first I smell fennel. Sweet, creamy fennel, with maybe a hint of a green tinge to it. I'm not getting ginger at all.

It's a soft scent, very light and fresh. I can picture someone running through a dewy medow. Not much throw. I swear I have smelled a smell like this before, for some reason, it kind of reminds me of Pottery Barn. They must use a similar scent in their air freshener. It's nice enough, but not for me. Swap pile.

In the imp, this is milk and honey. Wet, the ginger note comes out strongly. It dries into a sweet cream with a ginger back-note that I adore.

I got this because I wanted to try out some foody scents on me, and to see if my visceral hate for honey in food would transfer to perfumes as well.

In the bottle: Warm, cuddly and smooth, a lot like warm milk! Kind of like a creamy blanket I want to wrap all around myself.

First swipe: Smells really familiar for some reason, and I'm completely addicted! The ginger is super amped but not sharp, which would turn me away. The honey adds only a slight sweetness to the milk and isn't overpowering, so I don't dislike it.

Drydown: Getting sweet but doesn't seem to last long :( I want to bathe in this! Actually no, I want to douse a pillow in this so it can help me sleep. With this on, I can actually visualize myself floating on a creamy milk sea (which is obviously the point given the inspiration). ADDICTED!!!

Kumiho's fresh ginger cousin.

It smells like fresh grated ginger, ever so slightly softened with something creamy. When comparing this to Kumiho, it is a stronger scent on me-- and Kumiho makes this smell like ginger ale. But really, this is just gingery ginger. I wonder if wearing this would have the same effect on car sickness as ginger chews?

Sudha Segara is a bright, clean, gingery unisex scent to beat the summer heat(and possibly carsickness). Very nice.

Wow, CK One, why is that?? My nose can't make the notes listed appear in this. Someone mentioned salty aquatic, I get that, and a headache, but no ginger, no milk. This wasn't really one I thought I'd love so it's not so bad.

This is my second-ever review on BPAL, and I'm really comforted by this one--I've tried a few others so far and not loved them for one reason or another, but Sudha Segara and I just love each other.

I'm beginning to find that I don't like overly sweet smells because they amp to ridiculousness on me. This is comforting, and soft, but not quite sweet. When I first put it on, it's a rush of beautiful green ginger (I love sharp, tangy smells, and this fits the bill perfectly). Over time, this fades gently into a light citrusy sort of play, but softer--creamier, like lotion. I posted something a little while ago asking what BPAL scents are the most like Bath & Body Works Orange and Ginger aromatherapy lotions, and this might be it. It's delicious, and calming. I find myself sniffing my arms and sighing deeply.

Very calm, soft, but not wimpy--sophisticated and pleasant, like a beautiful and successful woman coming home from work, kicking off her shoes, and curling up in a comfortable chair with a cup of (sweetened ginger) tea and her favorite book. I came to BPAL looking for a signature scent and this might be it for me! =)

The only flaw is that it's fleeting--nearly undetectable after an hour. Though maybe that's because I've been huffing my arms and my nose is desensitized. Hopefully at some point I'll feel like I have a steady-enough income to treat myself to a bottle of this =)

EDIT: Had the bf sniff this today. His description: It's a very unified smell, very smooth, nothing sticking out. Cool =)

Edited by Maxinux