Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
naeelah

Eros

Myrrh, lilac, and honey wine with crimson tea leaf and sweet resins.

This is a beautiful sweet honeyed wine scent on my skin with a dusting of myrrh. Resinous and deep. A keeper and definitely bottle worthy.

Eros is generic pink fruit most of the time. I don't know where that's coming from-- perhaps the wine. But every two or three minutes I get a singular, almost-not-there whiff of the best myrrh ever along with the other resins. Oh, it's so good, and I wish it would stick around for longer than a second. It's very frustrating. I think the main reason I got this was to find out what "crimson tea leaf" would be like, but I still have no idea after trying Eros-- unless it is responsible for the fruitiness.

I will continue playing around with this. Maybe with a bit of age the resins I love will come out more.

This opens with a nice sweet-spicy combination of notes; unfortunately, within a couple of hours all that remain are the incense-y resins. I've tried it 3 times and had the same reaction each time, so off to the swap pile it goes. It's a shame, because I really like the way it starts out on me. :(

why on earth does this remind me of original snake charmer???

none of the notes are similar, yet on me layered with snake oil... its a very close cousin.

So of course I love it!

This is an absolutely AMAZING scent, and one that I think is HIGHLY overlooked and underestimated.

There's definitely a bitter undertone to it... while you're sniffing wonderful honeyed lilacs you get this gentle bite of something underneath... something almost eucalyptus-y. It blends together beautifully and as a whole it's sweet and green and lush and biting. I agree with sirensea in that it's very evocative of a freshly snapped twig.

I'd love to wear this blend on a day when I'm feeling acerbic and irritated yet very satisfied and comfortable with myself. It's utterly gorgeous in its sharpness. Rawr.

imp: sweet..mm...I don't know what it is exactly, but I really want to drink it. I didn't though.

Wet: Sweet but with a darker body to it.

Dry: It got darker and fuller in body. It actually smells tangible. While I wouldn't slather myself in Eros..I'd enjoy slathering it on someone else. :twisted: Eros describes the oil pretty well.

Sweet honey wine with CURRY! The curry fades to an underlying spiciness. I can smell something woodsy and herby which I think is the tea-leaf. This is a very unusual scent on me and I can’t decide if I like it or not.

A little while later, the curry is coming back and I think this just might be too spicy for me.

Edited by Lilly

Sweet, alchoholic, fruity scent. There's a hint of something gritty and dirty lurking in it that must be the myrrh. Not really my kind of thing.

In bottle: Almost a cranberry smell; fruity and sweet with bite.

On skin (wet): Resin and a very light, green smell. Extremely light hint of sour- maybe the myrrh? Sort of like dirt. This is starting off very vegetable garden-like.

10 min: Still green and fresh. Lettuce? Where did that come from? Watery and sweet- can smell the tea and resins, now.

20 min: There's the honey! Still fresh and crisp, but now the sweetness is coming to the front. Red tea! Meade!

60 min: still around! It has gone very tea and resin, but sort of subtle. Yum!

I can smell the honey and wine in the imp. On my skin there's some sort of weird foodiness. Crisp and green but almost spicy? It reminds me of spicy chicken salad with grapes on a lettuce leaf, minus the chicken.

The spices get stronger as it dries and it ends up smelling like something delicious . . . for cooking with or using in a rub. WTF, Eros.

Strange.. I seem to be the only one that gets lilac as the strongest note when wet. Honey wine runs up along side it shortly after and the myrrh and resins blossom wonderfully. Drydown is a bit weak and only offers resins and tea leaf with a ghost of the wonderful lilac/myrrh combo.. but I love the process so much I bought a bottle!

Eros is one of those free samples that makes me want to sit down and write a thank you note to BPAL because I like it so much. Instead I will redirect my demonstrative impulse into writing this review.

Eros is sweet and bright. Eros smells like red hard candy would taste if red hard candy tasted like I think it should, instead of like disappointing artificial cherry. When I concentrate on identifying the sweet notes I can make out lilac and honey wine, but unless I am thinking about it I only smell red awesomeness. The sweetness is enhanced by a slightly bitter herbal smell of tea leaves.

As the scent of myrrh develops the bright candy redness deepens to a plush velvet red.

Eros dries down to the scent of golden honeyed resins.

If someone asked me to smell this without telling me what it was, I would say it smells like romantic love. Sweet, tinged with bitterness, deepening to sensual warmth.

Thank you, BPAL, for the free sample of Eros. It is lovely. I will buy some and wear it happily.

Source: Lab Imp

In the imp: Candy, purple sweet tarts to be precise. The heck?

Wet: Oh, there we go. Herbal myrrh and resins, a very deep base scent, with a touch of lilac. Nice.

Dry: Unfortunately, the sweetness comes out more, and my nose is not accepting it as honeywine at all for more than a few seconds: it is the nice balanced resinous blend...with sweet tarts. It is not actively unpleasant, but neither is it doing much for me.

Notes: Decent wear and throw. Oil is fairly dark gold, and there was dark brown sludge in the bottom of my decant.

Eros:

Wet, sweet mead, and the myrrh is glorious. Its nice to find scents that are earthy enough for me to feel comfortable and still be sweet without being obnoxious. Its like a cuddle session. it instanly makes me think of my boyfriend.

Dry: MMMM its hugging the skin for sure but it smells so resiny and beautiful up close.

Hooray for another great frimp!

In the imp, it smelled like flowers and sweet resins.

On, it devolved to powdery yuck. It smelled like baby wipes or something. Like all the accoutrements of a baby's changing table before the baby is changed. Just the scent memory of clean diaper area turning into poopy diaper area was enough for me to bag this one. :ugh:

imp: honeyed myrrh.

wet: gorgeous honeyed myrrh and florals... and i normally loathe florals.

dry: as this dries, the honey sweetness fades while the resiny floral scent stays put.

In the bottle, Eros is mostly honey wine with a bit of myrrh. On me, it's sweet honey wine with a little bit of resins and tea. It goes a little powdery on me, but not too much. It's a nice, well-blended scent overall. I think it'd smell really nice on the right guy, too. :wub2:

In the imp: HONEY WINE!!! and RED TEA!!! x 1000. Not super-pleasant in the imp, but let's see what it does on me.

On: ... I smell like... Vegemite. Bzuh?! Please dry to something nicer, I don't want people singing "Land Down Under" to me...

Sadly, I don't think I'm in luck right now.

Later: Ah, there's the lilac... on a background of VEGEMITE. Ewww.

Even later: after about an hour, I finally get sweet, slightly boozy lilac, but it's too little, too late, I'm afraid. Stupid skin... this one goes on the swap pile.

Imp: Sweet (floral/juicy) with something bitter underneath.

Wet: Honey wine (like in Fairy Wine) and powdery lilac.

Dry: Smells like fresh linens. I do get a mild celery whiff, though. Something bitter appears.. the tea? Hmm.. not really for me I think.

In vial: Honey sweet tea, with a tinge of grape.

Wet: Becomes rather fruity for a few moments, before the resins kick in. Quite a golden feeling to it.

Dry: The lilac comes out, not soapy as usual, but pretty dry in fact. The blend has taken on a nice floral honey aspect, until the sourness of the wine reemerges. It then quickly fades to bare sweetness.

Verdict: It reminds me a little bit of Athens, and the honey + wine combo they share just doesn't work for me.

Out of the imp, this smells quite similar to an herbal essences shampoo. Hehe, which is really strange to me, cause I didnt notice when I first smelled it days ago, but now that I'm sniffing it, it totally smells like the classic HH shampoo. Weird. Anyhow, I am writing this long after wearing it, and unfortunately I'm not loving the dry down. I seem to amp the tea leaf and honey wine.. but in an oddly musky and astringent way. :(

This did start as a nice bright fresh fruity scent, with some interesting crisp liquid honey sweetness and a touch of resin, but ultimately turned to yerbe mate musk. Probly not bad for some, but not great for me.

Wet: A fresh and juicy combination of lilac and honey wine. In the background is something that reminds me of sesame brittle.

Drydown: Spicy myrrh joins the lilac and wine. It's deep and smooth with a hint of powdery freshness. After a while it becomes more creamy than fresh.

Dry: Primarily honey, myrrh, and church incense, with just a hint of lilac. Creamy and resinous, yet not heavy.

In the imp: Boozy, honeyed fruit - like a fruitier Athens, possibly, which is very auspicious, as I adore Athens.

Wet: Spiced tea and lilac.

Dry: I didn't get any incense or honey notes (bummer!), just tea and lilac. Weird.

Two hours later: The honey comes out a wee bit, but not by much. This stayed very close to the skin.