Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rice paper, white gardenia, and raw honey.

This smells so soft and silky, delicate and fragile...exactly like velvety tissue paper. Incredible. Not my usual style of scent, but I will definitely keep this olfactory masterpiece on hand for when I feel like evoking a more traditionally girly vibe. To me this is probably the sexiest of this year's shungas that I've smelled so far, because it really captures that tactile silky smoothness. Rawr!

Beautiful! I didn't expect to like this one at all, but I really really do! :wub2:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaaannnn.......

I know better than to buy any BPAL scent where the theme of the reviews is "light beautiful floral". Not that I don't like florals, but I'm more of a "bold overscented floral with wood/incense" and the light scents get lost on me.

But I saw the HONEY in the notes here, and it's so good on me that I couldn't resist.

Good thing too.

This is amazing. It smells just like an Asian spa. Honey for massage, rice paper treatment rooms, and gardenias floating in the fountain.

It captures the picture perfectly, and is destined for top wearing. So sweet, yet so naughty.

Best,

Tzi

Bottle: Creamy Gardenia, with a very vague hint of rice sweetness in the background

Wet: Strong gardenia perfume nearly eats all the creamy sweetness

Dry:gardenia perfume, lightly sweetened.

There is more sweetness in the throw, but up-close-and-personal gets you nothing but heady gardenia perfume. I've tried this aged, and the gardenia was much less sharp, and played very nicely with the rice-paper sweetness rather than pushing it out of the way, yelling 'me-me-ME!!!'

My bottle, however, is brand-spanking new, so I think it needs to have a little rest, so that it can be perfectly gorgeous right in time for summer. :D

Wet: soap

Drydown: White florals and soap. This is not smelling distinctly gardenia on me. It smells clean. Like when someone walks by right after they took a shower.

Overall: This isn't a bad scent. It's just not something I'd wear. :mellow:

Interesting - I knew I had to get it because of the Honey, but was afraid the gardinas would overpower it. It's turned out to be a very sweet & light floral (duh) - yes, clean and fresh. I agree - it IS better aged - I almost swapped it because it was so stringent when I first tried it. Now, it's sweet & lovely. *sigh*

Wet this is a very sweet honey floral with something sharp or soapy in the background. When first on this is sweet gardenia- strong and heady with a lot of throw. After a couple hours this has softened and is a lovely creamy honey mixed with gardenia. On the dry down this is a lovely, close to the skin honey scent. Beautiful!

I am detecting a white floral (maybe lily? I guess this is gardenia since that is what is listed) and maybe honeysuckle, or at least something that smells like honeysuckle single note to me. I love honeysuckle single note. This is very clean, but not exactly soapy. It reminds me of Hanami in that they both resemble a really really great smelling shampoo. Don't get me wrong, this smells awesome, but the notes together remind me of the types of fragrances used in expensive shampoos only much better. It is sweet and floral, but classy and not cloying or stuffy. This is starting to grow on me actually. I'm usually too terrified of "clean" fragrances to even try them, but I'm really glad to have tried Tissue, because it's much more beautiful than I was expecting.

Next I'm going to try this in my hair :)

The first few times I tried this I was disappointed: to my nose it was a strange thin blend, with the gardenia on the wrong edge of perfumey, amped rice paper (the culprit for the "thin" feeling, I suspect) that hid the (wonderful, yay a sweet note that works on me!) honey.

Off it went to the sell box where it was still sitting last week, when I dug it out to try it again on a whim.

And WOW :wub2: age did wonders for this scent! The honey is much more prominent now, the perfumey edge mellowed and there's an almost perfect sweet gardenia wafting from my wrists. Well, a golden gardenia if there were such a thing...

I used to go on holidays on Lago Maggiore when I was little, and there were gardenias hedges there. Hundreds of gardenias blooming under our windows, the scent getting stronger with sunset, and stronger yet as the night deepened...that's the scent.

It was a clean, pretty thing before, but now it's heavy, humid, heady and almost overwhelming sweet, the rice paper is just a murmur in the background now.

Floral lovers only, I'd say.

This was a generous gift from the awesome tartchef. I was excited to try it and put some on, and got nothing but pee. :ack: About an hour later it's calmed down and I get lightly floralled honey. But that initial phase has turned me off. I'll be saving it to surprise someone else with who will hopefully enjoy it much, much more than me. :ninja:

Mm. Lupercalias have been gooood to me.

Tissue is kind of indescribable and some people might find it generic (light floral), but it has such an interesting gauzy texture. It's a translucent, white light kind of scent. I really don't get honey (and it's not sweet) but I do sense something that might be rice paper behind the gardenia, which is the most prominent thing for me. Still, it's a very distant, dreamy gardenia.

Ive been waiting to try this, finally got to today.

I love gardenia anyways, but.. this, is this the labs typical gardenia note??

Its beayouuutifull!

Creamy gardenia with a touch of honey. This makes me feel all sorts of girly.

I'll be keeping my bottle.

Tissue - The rice is the first note I smell in this -- so soft and pretty, sweetened by the honey, and deepend by the gardenia. However, as it sits on my skin, the gardenia starts to take over everything. The rice gives it a bit of a powdery edge, but that gardenia is still really heady, heavy, and cloying. Just a little less gardenia in this scent and it would be a gorgeous, light floral that I would really love to wear.

Just got a decant of this one...

Usually gardenia is a bit strong for me, but I was curious about this anyway.

It reminds me a lot of Schaflende Baigneuse (sp?? HELP!) and Needlework (which, to my nose and skin, smell exactly the same)

At first the gardenia is really present, but once it dries a bit I can smell the honey and a bit of something musky- the rice paper? That doesn't seem right, but I know musk when I smell it!

I actually really like this one. Florals aren't really my favorite, but if tempered by something non-floral and creamy/sweet, they seem to behave themselves on me.

I really can't describe this scent on me, all I know is I like it so much that I hate myself for not ordering it when I had the chance. It's light and strong at the same time, it's very delicate sweet close to skin scent that lasts for hours! Gardenia pops up from time to time, but mostly I get the rice and honey, I think, because I can't pinpoint any of the notes. I looove how clean and simple this scent is!

Edited by milica

I usually try to avoid gardenia, but I was taken in by the "rice paper." That sounded interesting to me.

... and it is! I can certainly smell something that smells like what I assume rice paper is supposed to be, and I do like it. Sadly the gardenia is just a bit too overwhelming for me, though. It does tend to be a loud note on my skin, which is mostly why I avoid it. To be honest, it does smell good, it's just too strong. The gardenia/rice paper combo is a good one, though. If you like that smooth rice-y scent and are looking for a pretty tropical floral, give this one a try.

In imp: Gardenia, and strong, which doesn't much agree with me. There's something sort of pale and almost aquatic in the background that must be the rice paper, and just a hint of honey.

Wet: Gardenia city! I don't get much sense of the rice paper and no honey at all.

Dry: Astringent floral without the honey sweetness I was looking for. Just not for me I'm afraid. 2/5

ahh, this is beautiful!! . the most lovely rich gardenia and honey. this is love at first sniff. :wub3: i get the sweetness from the rice paper a bit later on, but still this remains a pretty gardenia scent. i absolutely love the beginning, and the drydown is nice too, but i wish that beginning lasted forever. :heart:

Edited by theseagrows

This is a very light and lovely gardenia and honey scent. I love Gardenias and when it comes to florals they are one of the few I will try. The honey note is also light and lovely here not too powdery. The sad part of this scent is it has very low throw and only lasted about a half hour. I was so sad. It is a wonderful pretty scent while it lasts though. Simple and beautiful.

I am on a gardenia kick right now and when I read the description of this, I had to hunt down a bottle, which I fortunately found.

When first applied, I was concerned this might veer too much into generic perfumy for me, but it didn't take long before that went away and settled. At first, it was a bit fruity and almost too sweet, but then it settled down into this lovely, light honeyed gardenia. The rice paper gives a light, airy quality that befits the name and also connotes the linen quality some reviewers have mentioned. I imagine I will be returning to this quite a bit this spring and into early summer.

Tissue

In the Bottle: Beautiful, fresh gardenia petals and almost fruity, floral honey

Wet: It’s so juicy, it really is a lot more than the sum of its notes- it’s SO beautifully sweet and juicy that there is something almost on the verge of fruity in this that goes beyond just gardenia and honey. The rice paper note in this smells a little like the powder you get from sinking your hands into a bag of unwashed rice, but it’s very subtle and adds a slight powdery warmth. The gardenia and honey in this is magical, it's got the barest hint of a spiced profile to add body, but isn't any spiced floral note at all . It’s so complex but evidently also manages to smell like a very simple scent.

Drydown: This is definitely not like any other gardenia I’ve tried. It’s so controlled and behaved- clean, transcluent and almost lets all the other notes take over- but its so well balanced BECAUSE it's so soft. This raw honey is so beautiful and lends to the overall intoxicating floral characteristic so defining of the blend .. delicate honey drenched gardenia blossoms. It’s very light and hugs close to the skin though. The gardenia is a little citric and lemony and gets a little sour now that the rest of the notes have run their course.. baw .. but this honey, it's one of the best floral honeys I've come across.. it's so so pretty x.x

TL;DR: Fruity, almost juicy, floral honey, soft gentle gardenia and barely-there wisps of rice powder.

Edited by celestia

Tissue is such a shunga, and such a beauty.  Heady gardenia (one of the only white florals that works on me) floats over pale honey and what smells to me like rice milk.  This is one of those creamy sweet florals Beth does so magnificently.  It's not my usual sort of scent at all -- it's the kind I bust out on rare spring days when I'm feeling really femme -- but it's gorgeous, even if it only lasts a couple of hours on my skin. 

This goes on as honeyed gardenia backed by rice paper. The rice paper note reminds me of the rice paper wrapped around Botan Rice Candy. The honey quickly calms down, and it ends up being mostly gardenia and rice paper on me throughout the day, with just a bit of perfume-y, non-foodie honey in the background.

There's not enough sweetness here to tame the gardenia for me, but now I'll be on the lookout for future scents featuring a rice paper note!