Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense.

In the bottle: burnt wood

Wet: sharp green (which I often get from wet oils), with a burnt undertone. Something sweeter starts to emerge -- slightly fruity almost. My husband dislikes it.

Drying: the patchouli and sandalwood are picking up strength now; I'm starting to smell like a headshop. Not that it's a bad smell, but it's not quite the image I'm looking for. Something very sharp and biting underneath, maybe the frankincense, but perhaps not strong enough to ground the sweetness of the sandalwood. Some nice spicy notes developing, though.

Dry: Wow. It's almost completely disappeared in less than an hour. Weird. Getting some slight wafts of what has gradually turned into a very nice scent, almost like a deep floral, but there's really very little of it. Not quite sure it's worth keeping, since I'd clearly have to put on a tremendous quantity for it to be perceptible, and it's just nice, not really special. Still, maybe worth another try.

In Bottle: Patchouli and sandalwood.

On Skin: Nothing’s hiding here… it is pure patchouli and sandalwood. They are crystal clear. The frankincense is lighter but still quite noticable. I wore this because I DJ’d a Pirate themed club night, but that’s the only reason. I don’t like it at all since I’m not a big fan of patchouli.

After trying Anne Bonny and Faustus, I think that my skin amplifies frankincense. This is sharp, spicy, and cedary, but also warm and a bit salty. This hardly morphs on me at all.

It feels gender neutral, bordering on masculine.

I'll have to try this again to see if the patchouli comes out. I like this scent, but the sharpenss and force of the frankincense are keeping me from buying a bottle. It also doesn't feel like an everyday scent for me, but I imagine that it will be nice to use when I'm up for something that's not quite my regular style.

This is my first (and so far only) BPAL acquisition to date, and oh my heavens - I LURVE IT!! :D

On me it's warm, spicy, just a wee bit fruity, and after it dried I swear I picked up a hint of cocoa/chocolate... Could just be my body chemistry. But I'm completely in :D with this one!

Marisa, the clean hippie... :P :D

ADDED July 19:

I wore this to work yesterday. My boss (Paulette Rees-Denis of Gypsy Caravan) came in, took a whiff, said "What are you wearing??", grabbed my shoulders from behind, stuck her nose in my neck, inhaled deeply and said, "Wow!! I want some of that!! It smells like incense!! Awesome!!" When my full bottle comes in, I believe I will bequeath her what's left of my imp. But she'll probably be ordering her own very soon... And another Anne Bonny fan is born!! :D :evil:

In the bottle: Medicine. Wierd.

First on: Damn, I don't think I like this one very much. That sucks because I like all the oils in it. Maybe too heavy on the frankinsence.

After an Hour: It's blended into a nice even mixture, but I'm not sure I'll keep it, because it's really close to Spellbound. Not the scent, but the mood it evokes. I'll have to try it again by itself.

This is really interesting. It's incensey, and strong, but there's a bit of soapyness underneath. Over the top of it all though is clove, which is bright and a bit tangy. I like it, but it's not really me. I think it would be great for clubbing though, especially if you're going somewhere where there would be a lot of competing fragrances. It's got some really awesome staying power, so I can see it as a fragrance you'd still feel good about after a night of dancing...and perhaps a little romance... :P

Dry, salty wood. I love the idea of Anne Bonny (I love pirates!) but this oil isn't for me.

More than a year ago, I found this sandalwood-dominated hand lotion (overpriced) with an 18th century, nautical theme and little old-looking maps on the bottle. I thought it smelled weird and too strong at first, but after a half hour, it was BEAUTIFUL. After that, I really wanted a scent that captured the seem feel of that lotion. Anne Bonny really does that. At first it was a little too metalic like blood, but soon it gave the image of a tough wooden ship. So that's awesome.

Origin - imp received in a swap

Wet - sandalwood and frankincense. The patchouli is present, but it's content to stay in the background.

Dry - as it dries the patchouli becomes more prominent, competing with the sandalwood for attention. This is a delcious, sexy scent, and another possible big bottle for me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Stinky cheese!

In the imp: Heavy red patchouli and thick, almost syrupy frankincense.

On skin, wet: Thick patchouli. There's also something almost musky to this. Beneath all of that, there's something tart, bitter and sharp. I can't place it, but I remember it well from Siren. It smells of bad cheese.

On skin, dry: After about twenty minutes, this is almost entirely that "stinky cheese" note. Beneath it, there's still the frankincense and patchouli lingering, but they're outdone by something very acrid and sour.

Conclusion: I thought I'd sniffed this way back in March, when I was but a wee newbie. There's nothing about it in my records, though, so I may be wrong. Either way, this is definitely not something I'd want to have a go with again. Now, if I could only figure out what that bad cheese note is...

Edited by Aredhel

Anne Bonny

In the imp: dark, woody patchouli!

Wet on skin: mmm, this is lovely! It's dark patchouli with a woody undertone. The frankincense adds a nice, bright, resinous feel to this, blended with the sandalwood note, which is amazing.

Dry on skin: it doesn't change much, it still has its dark, woody, resinous quality. It smells gorgeous! The wood in this reminds me of the polished wooden beams of some great tall ship! Arr! And I loooove the frankincense in this, and the patchouli is lovely. The scents work fantastically together.

After a while: oh, the sandalwood in this is amazing-really strong and oh-so woody, with patchouli adding lovely dark, almost leathery tone, (the patchouli and sandalwood keep swapping round as the most prominent note) with the golden brightness of frankincense. I am in love!

Verdict: this is the total opposite of the perfumes I normally wear-usually I wear light, floral perfumes. But guess what-I love Anne Bonny! This is the perfect perfume for those days when I don't want to be frilly and flowery. This perfume means business. It's strong, it's woody and dark, and it's the perfect piratical blend. The dark woody scent is like the beams of a mighty galleon, with a leathery aspect from the patchouli, with frankincense glistening like pirate gold. It really fits the image of a kick ass pirate queen. I will get a bottle of this! Arr!

The coiled serpent is my favorite dry wood patchouli blend. Anne Bonny came to me on a swap and reminds me very much of the coiled serpent. That said the coiled serpent is serious and thoughtful and anne bonny has a playful heart made a bit more feminine by the frankincense. I like them both :P I see this is a more everyday type scent although it fades fairly quickly on me. I will reservd the coiled serpent as my favorite of the two, only because It FEELS powerful to me. This one is a girly sexay, playful. Both are quite beautiful however. Don't like sandalwood and patchouli? Well don't bother cause this is in your face and i love it!

I was so excited to try this scent, because I loved hearing about Anne Bonny as a child (so I was a little bloodthirsty, so what?) and I love sandalwood. Unfortunately, the patchouli did not like my skin at all. :P This somehow turned to Skin-So-Soft on me right away. *sniff*

Wow. This is a very evocative scent, all spicy wood and patchouli with a hint of salt. It has great staying power, and is a very commanding scent. It just isn't for me, so off to the swaps.

I. Love. This. Scent.

I can't even really describe any of the individual notes, except to say it reminds me of orange, late-afternoon, hot, summer sunlight.

I'm sorry. I wish I could be more precise with this one, but I just can't.

Anne Bonny is one tough broad of a scent. I adore her.

My skin loves woody/resiny/incense scents, and amplifies them like there's no tomorrow, so at least in terms of throw, this was a shoo-in.

In the bottle, it was so potent I actually found it a bit off-putting. Honestly, it smelled like slightly sweet nail polish--I was prepared to have a headache all day.

On first application, it enveleoped me in a VERY strong scent, but not as headache-inducing as I thought it'd be, and quickly became VERY sweet. I was happily surprised.

After a while, it evened out and became pleasant but still carried most of its original strangth. This was true through a ten-hour workday. The sandalwood was supported by the patchouli (much like a dash of coffee makes chocolate taste that much better and more complex) without being overpowered by it, which is good, because pure patchouli is a bit much for me. The frankincense wove in and out and made it even sweeter.

After a long day, it got powdery and faded some, but it lasted FOREVER and I'm pleased with it from start to finish.

Plus I felt like a pirate queen all day--I was less inclined to ask for permission in every little thing (something I'm prone to) and I was very assertive about my boundaries. Definitely a keeper.

Wet on me this was sandlewood and lots of spices. It was very, very strong in a way that made my nose twitch. Dry on me the spices have faded and it's pure sandlewood, and it's sandlewood which lasts for a long time. This is not for me, but I glad I got to try it, because I kept being drawn to it, so I would have probably ordered it in the end.

Sniffing the imp, the only thing I smell is Patchouli! A nice Patch, but Patch, none the less.

I try it on, and it is still Patchouli, wet on my wrists. I like the smell, but since I work in a metaphysical store, I can get Patch oil and incense whenever I want, so I pretty much decide I will swap this one.

So, I come on here to read reviews, and write one of my own, and I read the Lab's description...this also has Sandalwood and Frankincense in it, I see! Well, I also can get lots of incense of those, but now I am thinking about the oils...last time I checked Sandlewood oil and Frankincense oil are two of the priciest oils around! The Organic Essential Oil company that we stock at the store, won't even produce/sell Sandalwood oil as it has been so stripped in nature, that it is becoming endangered.

I sniff my wrist again, and now I smell the sandalwood coming through. I really do love that smell. I also love the idea of Pirates and ships. I fell in love with a floating home that I found on the internet tonight that is for sale in Victoria, BC.

I think I will hang on to the imp for the time being, only because I wonder if, in the future, it will be impossible for Beth to use some of these oils in these blends...at least at these prices! I may even order a bottle to hoard in case I decide I can't live without it. I would use it in an infuser, even if I wouldn't wear it.

*puts it in the imp box to contemplate further* :P

I used to avoid the patchouli blends like the plague, bad memories of high school stinky hippies and potheads clouding my mind. But Beth is winning me over. :D

This is dry and robust, woodsy and sharp... and I love it! The blend of the patchouli and the sandalwood... heavenly! :P

The frankincense kind of hangs around in the back, making things smoky and mysterious. This is just a great blend. A great, great blend.

Very dark, woodsy and spicy. There wasn't much of a change between wet and drydown which is fine for me. I love the resiny scents and this definately resiny. I'm so glad I got an imp of this because I now have to order a bottle. The patchouli is definately the stronger note, and the frankincense also come out on my skin. I'm going to guess that there is musk in this because I smell musk, spicy and woodsy and musky...my kind of scent :P

Got this recently in a swap, which made me happy as it is hard to come by and one I've been wanting to try for a while.

On, wet: Very strong, dry wood. Cedar is definitly there as well as something incense-spicy, and a sweetness underlying it all. At this stage, it is a little too much for me, but it gets a little softer as it dries.

On, dry: sweet, spicy, a hint of cedar underneath but not in any way overpowering on me. In fact, to me, it smells very similar to Sin...

So I did a comparison on my two wrists, and on me, they could be sisters (not twins). They each have a similar warmth and resinous sweetness, but with cinnamon underlying one and cedar the other. The Sin is just a tad sweeter, but not much.

Anne Bonny also has good staying power, as I could clearly smell it 7+ hours after applied.

I have ended up really liking Anne Bonny, but I think I won't be getting a bottle, since I prefer Sin, and to me they are very similar. But I will keep my imp! :P

In the bottle:

Rich, heady, and earthy!

On me:

Ooh Anne Bonny. I knew there had to be a reason Anne Bonny was so popular around here! I heard great things about it, and they were all right! I was a little wary at first, which is why I bought an imp - because honestly - though I don't dislike patchouli at all, it's usually not the kind of thing I enjoy wearing either. So knowing that patchouli was one of the three things listed for this really had me curious as the whether or not I would feel the way that so many other people seem to do about this oil. Good news is - I do! This is definitely heady, earthy, spicey and every bit the courageous pirate lass it represents. This is a brave scent. If you're feeling a little meek or timid - slap on some Anne Bonny and get a kick in the pants and a new attitude. It's downright earthy, but it's definitely not hippy! Sexy, brave, spicey, every bit the pirate lass we love.

Final note:

If it's any indication about how much I love this - I bought a bottle of Anne Bonney immediately.

And despite that I associate the smell with a pirate woman, this would totally rock on a guy too.

I got this one as a frimp and honestly it didn't do it for me. Smelled astringent-like, and a bit too woody for me. I like earthy scents, but this one had a weird Ben-Gay quality to it and isn't something I'd want to wear. Shame.

On me, the patchouli is very prominent when wet but there's also something that seems to brighten it up. It has a weight to it but it doesn't smell heavy. As it dries, the sandalwood really comes out and I recognize it. I have some powdered red sandalwood at home and it smells just like that. I also detect the salty note that others have mentioned here, and I suspect it's Clary Sage. I used to mix sandalwood, lavendar and clary sage into some unscented lotion and I've always thought Clary Sage has a salty scent. Although there is one point when it's still wet that I find a bit odd, I adore this scent. It also reminds me of a couple of the Kama Sutra essential oil fragrances from the six scents kit, Hearing and Sight.

I could see liking Anne Bonny more and more each time I wear it! This is a better version of the perfume I used to make for myself!

mmm.....upon initial application Anne Bonny is very earthy and patchouli smelling :P

then the sandalwood wafts through creating an absolutely outstanding blend with my chemistry....perfection in a bottle

beautifully done and long lasting...so glad I was able to acquire a 5 ml of Anne Bonny :D :D :D