Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Tigrrrlily

Spawn of the She-Demon

Diabolical red and black musk with rooibos and mango tea.

First of all, the bottle art is soooo cute! label for she-demon! Also- Im the first in this topic so Im anxious to do it justice.

Ok. Ahem. When I first smelled this in the bottle - it was SO remiciscent of the scent of Punky Colours Hair Dye that I instantly wanted to dye my hair again. Dark Tulip. But anyway, maybe its the mango, though it didnt smell like mango at first just the sweet fruity, with the tea. I cant recall off the top of my head what Rooibos smells like but there are definate "tea" notes in there from the get go...

Wet it still fruity but not cloyingly so- I am NOT a fan of fruits, except citrus so I tend to shy away from anything overtly so, but in this its pleasent, almost more of a mango-candy scent. The musk starts to come out the fourth or fifth time I smell it and was more present throughout the day. Yes I sniff my wrists regularly. Who doesnt???

Dry down is - surprisingly very close to the wet and in the bottle scent. I could smell it very clearly thru my sweater and while walking about town. And still, its not annoying sweet, just lovely. The mango starts to wear away, leaving just the tea with a hint of musk. I really dislike when I apply a perfume and there is nothing but weak musk left after a few hours... This is not one of those cases.

Its been about 4 hours and its toned down to a nice musk-tea scent which leaves me feeling I really dont need to reapply, its nice as is. You just have to get reeeeeally close in there to smell it :P

first of all, i want to concur with Tigrrrlily- the label for this oil is SOOOO cute! especially for a saucy scent that boasts several types of musk! :( i also want to say that i was thrilled to find both the scents that i ordered from this new series came packaged in their own very covetable black velveteen BPAL silver imp bags. swoon! :D now, on with the review... :D

in the bottle: strong black musk and a hint of red tea in the back ground.

wet on skin: the "tea" notes are coming out a bit more now, but not in the light way that, say Icabod Crane did. this is a robust smell, dark, almost masculine. i would even say animalistic. :P

dry down: this is...wow. i thought it was going to be something like Smut, since it has several different types of musk. but it's like a demonic relative of Smut. musky, but feral. like one of those sexy female serial killers that seduces their victims. or a vampire who plays with her food before going in for the kill. (:WHY: don't we have any sexy vampire emoticons when i need them?!)

in all: a perfect deep, wintertime musk blend, without gender but full of sexual force. a must-have.

:D :D :D

In bottle: snappy sparky red musk

On skin: the mango is there right away, pow! Juicy and sweet

Half-hour later: the red tea and red musk have warmed up behind the sticky fruit. Red red red!

In conclusion: this is so rich and luscious. Reminiscent of my beloved Corazon: simply replace the golden dusty amber with the red dusty tea. Fabulous! :P

This one did not smell like I thought it would. On the skin it smells very earthy, almost like garden dirt....let's call this one a mango tree is planted in my garden wearing sexy musk! ha!

I wasn't sure if I was going to click with this demon-spawn or not at first. I love red musk, but mango and I have a contentious relationship. However, I saw the label art and laughed so hard, there was no way I was going to pass up the chance to get my hands on a bottle and try it. It's gorgeous! Now, I'll warn you that it is one of the strongest perfumes I've ever tried in the BPAL catalog. I dabbed a spot on the top side of my lower arm (doing that must-try-five-at-once thing) and I could smell it through the long sleeved heavy cotton shirt I was wearing. But it was such a sexy smell, I didn't mind. Sweet, slightly fruity, slightly spicy red musk - what's not to love?

The bottle is absolutely adorable!

In the bottle: The first sniff gives me musk and fruit. It's quite pleasant and juicy.

Wet on skin: This is actually a lot lighter than I thought it would be. Red and black musks tend to be very heavy on me. This has the same dark and sexy feel, but it's fresher and lighter. It's more juicy than musky. I think it makes sense though- the she-demon herself would be all red and black musk, but her spawn would have a lil bit of fruity sweetness. Love it!

Drydown:This is just lovely. The juiciness stays strong throughout, and it gets deeper and richer as it dries. I'm in love. I get a "halo" effect from this as well. If i sniff my wrist, it's mostly sweetened musk, but if I sniff the air around me it's fruity and pretty. It's got great throw.

Overall: A perfect scent! I was expecting something muskier and heavier and was pleasantly surprised to get something a little more sparkly. I could wear this anywhere.

Oh. Oh my my my. The husband actually volunteered that this was *quite* nice.

Rooibos tea is the most potent, with the fruitiness of the mango dancing around in the background. About an hour later, the mango eases up, allowing a hint of red musk to peek through.

Nom. I may need to hunt down a bottle of this.

Wow! In the bottle it's lots of musk and fruit. On, it's darkly musky for a while, and it fades to a LOVELY red tea and fruit tea topped with faint musk - I wouldn't be able to call it mango unless I knew. I bought this for the tea, so yay! And double yay for the fact that I'm pretty terribly allergic to mangos, but not so much as a red blotch! At least I can smell it if I can't eat it.

Red, fruity musk and a slight odd barley note, which usually comes in with red ginger for me. I was disappointed, because I had high hopes for this one as red musk is usually a winner. It has also disappeared very quickly on me.

Spawn of the She-Demon

I get very little musk from this oil; instead it's tea, tea, and more tea. It's a tall glass of iced mango tea and it's absolutely delicious. After an hour or so, the musk quietly creeps up but it stays behind the tea. My decant isn't enough; I need a bottle of this. :P

Red musk dominates, with the mango coming out to play after a few minutes. I get the black musk in the background, sexing things up even more. With two great musks in here this is going to age fantastically.

In the bottle, this smells like it could be one of the snake pit blends. It smells like Snake Oil (which is probably just the red musk) mixed with a clean, girly perfume. I can pick out the tea, musk, and a bit of fruitiness.

On my skin, this isn't a sweet scent at all. I was hoping for more mango, but the tea and musk drown out the fruit. This actually reminds me quite a bit of the clean linens and tea smell that I get from White Rabbit, but with a *lot* of musk thrown in the mix, and no sweetness to be found.

I like red musk, but I seem to amp up the black musk over it, and I'm not crazy about black musk. The overall result on me is that this smells very clean and perfumey. Clean linens, black tea, and a chilly, slightly sharp cologne smell. After about an hour, I can smell a hint of warm, perfumey red musk. I wish that it had more of a sweet mango to it. All in all, this blend is a bit too sharp for my tastes.

I'll keep my bottle and see how this ages, but it's not a favorite right now.

Initially all I get is the red musk familiar from Red Moon 07 and Smut. After a while on skin the tea notes definitely become more pronounced and I'm getting some of the mango, too. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it because the red musk was so overpowering (I do like red musk but in moderation) but I'm liking this more and more now that I've worn it for a few hours.

I'm glad I have a bottle - and hopefully a bit of aging will make the musk even better.

I cannot figure this one out!

I couldn't STAND IT at first, it just smelled so artificial and gross. I let it sit for 20 minutes and the fruit is coming out, which is nice, but there's still a rank sweetness there, probably from the gross red musk. maybe I just hate red musk. ugh that's foul.

*waits a bit longer*

yup, it still smells artificial. the comparison to hair dye is spot on, it's that kind of artificial chemical undertone that's turning me waaaaay off.

but oh, those little whiffs of fruit I keep catching because the throw is phenomenal... and the simple fact that this hasn't turned bitter! I catch a whiff and mmmmmm... and then I catch another whiff and then euughhh. there's something rubbery that makes me think of halloween masks about it too. I know you guys are going for horror, but um, I don't think that's quite what you had in mind.

well, I'm giving it some serious consideration, I just wish I could get past all the damn chemical stink. I'll update this later...

eta: this is turning out to be a big surprise! the fruit is sticking (it NEVER does on my skin) and it's DELICIOUS. that weird artificial edge is still present, but it's less offensive than it was. most importantly... it HASN'T GONE BITTER. this one might be a winner. gonna try wearing it and see how it goes, will likely update then too. I'm snowed in and have nothing better to do :P

Edited by tehriaz

/beats the red musk back into the bottle

in the bottle this smells just like my Trick #2

ok now that that is over....

The black musk and Rooibos notes start to peak out next. I always associate roobios as being cool because i always drink it as iced tea so that's how this smells to me. The mango slowly comes out as well and never becomes overwhelmingly fruity. This one has alot of throw, i can wear it to bed and still smell it in the morning. It has a gorgeous soft dry down with the black musk fading down even more leaving an enticing skin scent.

My man's favourite of the lot..

Spawn of the She-Demon

In the bottle: reminds me of Smut with heavy fruit

Wet: very strong dark musk. for a second, I though it was laudanum.

Drydown: the musk is very strong and mixed with the mango, is very sweet and thick.

Further drydown: this has mellowed after a few hours. I can still distinctly smell the musk, but the fruitiness has cleaned up and is not so syrupy. The rooibus is in the background helping to cut the thickness of the scent. The sweet fruit has finally identified itself as mango and not just sweet syrup.

Throw: good throw. I don't need to slather this one.

I think this will age nicely. This is a cold weather scent. I think it will be to heavy and cloying in hot weather.

Woah, heavy on the musk. :D Makes me worried that it's going to resemble Spellbound...

The tea appears soon enough and takes center stage, with the fruity mango as background. Not too sweet, surprisingly! It does make me think of iced tea with mango flavoring.

Save for the initial blast of the dark musks, this is quite clean on me. I rather like this. :P

The longer this lingers (heheh, alliteration) it became apparent that this is a pretty strong blend with great throw. And I'm getting very attached to it. :D

ETA: Funny that I didn't fall in love with this one immediately! Wore it all today and it really LASTS (and my skin eats everything, trust me), so I got to enjoy it all day. I know what Smut smells like now, and yes, Spawn of the She-Demon is indeed something similar. Missing the latex-y nuance though, and it's an infusion of mango instead of booze, but still, I smell kinda... smutty. :D Reminded me of just why I love musks. I've decided it's my favorite Dark Delicacies blend so far! I'll be holding onto this one. :D

Edited by MisterShrapnel

This is possibly THE best red musk blend I've tried, probably tied with Red Phoenix. The red musk is quite strong initially, but mellows with a bit of yummy spicy tea. The rooiboos, (which in tea is kind of vanilla-y to me) is maybe what gives this a nice sweetness that rounds this baby off to not such an evil spawn. I LOVE this!! :P

This is heaven. I was worried about the red musk. Sometimes it can be very owerpowering, and drowns out all of the other notes.

In Spawn, the red and black musk combine beautifully and balance each other. Black musk on my skin is always dark and earthy, but combined with the Mango tea and rooibos add a touch of sweetness, and keep it from being musk-y.

Bleh. This reminds me of Marianne.

Must be the red musk.

Hate roobios tea (drinking it) and the thought of mango tea does not help, though I don't get any sense of tea.

megank4

Gorgeous red musk! :thud: :joy:

But then the roobis tea comes in and makes it a bitter smelling red musk. It's definitely different but I don't think this is for me!

Imp: Dark and Thick, heady musk

Wet on Me: Musk and tea. Dark, lush, heady

Drying Down: Not getting the Mango yet which is okay by me. Just tea and musk.

Dry: What a lovely sexy tea party. Just the musks and the tea. Oh my Oh me! I’m thrilled I got to try this!

in vial:darkly rich and sweet

wet: this one has depth. its strong and dark but sweet. to me this is more something my male counterpart would wear and its very good.

dry: tones down a little but the rich sweetness is still evident. Not as dark. Reminds me more of dark berries. I did not get mango from this and nothing that reminded me of tea, but it is still good and yes, a bit sexy..

Spawn of the She Demon

In the imp: sweet red musk, very similar to Smut, but sweeter.

Wet on skin: red musk, and now I smell drier tea and black musk, and a little mango.

Dry: red musk and tea! This is an intriguing but very endearing blend. The musks are dominant, sexy smutty red deepened with darker sweeter black. The tea note is dry, a little grassy, but is definitely rooibos-it reminds me of a rooibos vanilla tea I love drinking. The mango is also there, not as ripe and sweetly juicy as usual, this is a sharper, less ripe mango. The red musk reminds me of Smut, Snake Oil and Marianne. It does remind me fleetingly of the Dodo but not in a bad way-it lacks the dry, overbearing cassia. I’d say this is closer to Corazon, without the sage.

After a while: this then turns into a lovely scent of contrasts. On the one hand there’s the bright, tart, intriguingly dry scent of the rooibos tea, and then there’s the rich, deep, dark, vanilla-tinged sexiness of the musks. These two layers contrast but don’t clash. They seem to fit really well together-the fruity tea lifting the deep musks, the musks adding a sensual, dirty-sweet aspect to the tea. It’s the musk that wafts though, all around I get clouds of sweet sexy red musk but close to the wrist, it’s mango tea.

Verdict: this and Reindeer are my favourites of the recent DD scents. this is full of that wonderful red musk that Beth does so well, and it’s the sweet, almost vanilla-y red musk that I love. The dry and warm scent of the tea goes well with the vanilla-ish scent in the musk, and the mango is really gorgeous. I wasn’t keen on the Dodo, I liked Corazon, but this is even better than those two. I love what this does at drydown, when the musk really wafts and shows off, mingling nicely with the scent of mango tea. I generally love it when red musk and fruit are combined, and this is a perfect example. I’m glad I managed to get a bottle of this sexy scent!

Emoticon rating: :wub3:

Is it a keeper? Yes!

If you like this, try: Smut, The Dodo, Corazon (if you can get it!), Mme Moriarty