Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Persephone

Beautiful, radiant daughter of Demeter... her loveliness was so exquisite that even Hell itself could not resist her. Pomegranate and rose.

In the bottle: Very strong rose, can't smell anything else - not sure about this one.

On me: The rose is still strong - I can't smell the pomegranate at all, which is a shame as this is what drew me to the oil.

Later: Its still very strong rose but now the pomegranate has come out as well. I love it.

Next Day: Am still getting occasional hints of it as I am walking - lasts forever.

This is the 1st oil I have tried - bought from ebay as I am waiting for my imp order to come in..

Absolutely lovely, although the notes stay completely separate. When I first put it on, it's all pomegranate with no hint of rose. Sometime over the next half hour, though, all the pomegranate disappears, and the rose comes out. This is a beautiful, soft perfume with a very wistful, romantic feel to it. It has average throw on me and lasts for several hours.

Persephone

3/14/06

Wet: Like roses and fruit. Not a huge rose fan, but we’ll see how this one goes.

Dry: This one has a much better throw than the others I’ve tried so far. Unfortunately, the rose overpowers the fruit. Roses are beautiful, but I have no desire to smell like one. This reminds me of old ladies, and I am not an old lady. Washed off at 7pm

In the Bottle: It’s smells very sweet, almost fruity. Nice.

Wet: It reminds me strongly of some other perfume I’ve smelt, I just can’t quite put my finger on it though. Okay, possibly it might be rose, no pomegranate yet. It’s not a bad thing though, so far I’m liking it.

Drydown: Roses, roses and roses. So far that’s all I’m getting. It’s a very gentle and cool scent, makes me think of sitting in a garden full of roses after a drizzle so that the earth has cooled and everything is just nice and quiet and still for just one moment. Like I’m in a wonderful world of my own, just for that moment. Lol which is weird though not in a bad way, since everyone’s always saying how this is such a fun fruity scent that makes you get up and be cheerful. So far though my skin seems to have eaten up all the pomgranate I thought I smelt in the bottle and all I wanna do after wearing this is sit down and daydream.

Verdict: Persephone to me overall is very floral, well on me at least. It’s a very light and cool scent. I’m still holding out for the fruity-ness, because I would hate if fruit notes don’t work on my skin. It’s nice. I quite like it, though I’m not crazy over it. Will definitely be using up the imp, perhaps I might even get a 5ml but that depends on how this plays out further.

Throw / Staying Power: Moderate, not as strong as others I've tried before (say Bayou) but not like it fades away after 2 hours or something.

In the imp it is foul candy, so synthetic smelling... I am not a fan of fruit scents at all...

On the skin though, I mainly smell rose, pink fresh rose, not heady, girly.

As minutes pase, it changes, and I smell something else, more sweet, but not cloying, not pomegranates though. It is nice, but I don't think it is me... it reminds me of something...

Got it! I know what it smells like. It is like those indian rose beverages. Rose with some sugar, or some kind of sweetener. Well, I don't think I want to smell like this, even if the drink is ok. But I have to admitt that this scent is pretty nice. I think I will keep the imp.

ADDED May 16:

In the imp it is foul candy, so synthetic smelling.

On the skin though, I mainly smell rose.

As minutes pase, it changes, and I smell something else. It is sweet, but not cloying at all. It is nice, but I don't think it is me...

Got it! I know what it smells like. It is like that indian rose beverage. Rose with some sugar. Well, I don't want to smell like this, even if the drink is ok.

Persephone to me smells like sitting in a rose garden on a hot summers day, eating a pommegrante and letting the juice drip down your chin. I really love this scent, sadly it only lasts about 4 hours before dissapearing on my skin.

Quick sniffy impressions:

Earthy, grounded. Pomegranates, uncut in their hard covering, rolled across the dry earth, ploughing a furrow of rich, sweet earth.

This smells like strong roses, pomegranate juice, and ACID to me. The pomegranate is just soooo acidic on me, and the roses are too cloying. Persephone is nice at first, but it's pure headache on my skin.

This is amazingly sweet on first application--pomegranate, but softened by the rose. Yum!

The scent lasts a relatively long time on me, and it doesn't morph at all. It isn't really something that calls out to me, but I'll keep it in mind, if ever I want a dependable rose scent.

I love Beth's pomegranate note. It's glorious, tart, and juicy on me in Swank and in Bella Donna Della Mia Mente. It's glorious, tart, and juicy in Persephone when wet, with a hint of lush red rose. On drydown, the pomegranate is completely overpowered by the rose which is doing that stomach-turning soapy-antiseptic-baby powder thing that it sometimes does with my skin chemistry. Darn. I was really hoping this one would work--it was so pretty when wet. I'll have to try wearing it in my scent locket so that my skin can't make the rose turn sickening.

edited to correct an atrocity against punctuation

Edited by PirateMaggie

Is there something earthy on this? Perhaps just the faintest trace of it, except that my chemistry amps it to ridiculous levels. There are some very pretty, almost virginal roses here, sweet and delicate ... but they've been buried alive. Of course, that's only appropriate, given the name.. *g*

Edited by Rusalka

I really, really love this one. It was the very first imp I tried out of my very first BPAL order, if I'm not mistaken. It just smells so wonderful. It's sweet, wonderful rose. The colors I associate with this scent would be deep red and white. It lasts a pretty long time on my skin too.

My mother seemed to like this one a lot herself so maybe a big bottle is in store for us someday. :P

Very strong fruity smell out of the vial… Wet on my wrist, it was a bit strong. After about 5 mins, though, it mellowed into a lovely sweet fruity smell!

All in all, I like it… but not one of my ultimate favorites 

I give it a 3 out of 5 :-D

In the vial: pomegranate and apples.

On the skin: seriously juicy! Smell so good I want to gnaw on my wrists. The roses bloom as it dries, but the pomegranate is strong and lasting. It's sexy, feminine. Would buy a bottle of this.

rose, thou art sick!

wet: this is all rosey on me.

dry: pomegranate and rose ->wonderful combination

This makes me feel really juicy and feminine. A perfect scent for late springtime.

In the bottle: Oddly enough the first whiff smelled like pure alcohol. However, the second whiff smelled of roses...old roses.

Wet: All I get is rose, and it's not a rose I like. It's very damp and almost rotting. Nothing beyond the roses.

Dry: Sadly it's basically the same as when wet. All rose...it mellows a bit over time but it still smells damp and as if it's about to go bad. No pomegranate which is a bummer.

Overall I think I'll pass. If I want a rose scent I'll go with black rose.

I'm quite sad with this one, as I'm all about the pomegranate. Persephone's roses eat up all the pomegranate on me; it might as well be a rose SN when I wear it. :/

In the imp: sweet fruit and sweet rose - very delicate but very bright.

On me, wet: The pomegranate and the rose are both still there, but this is a powdery rose and it's not blending with the sweet pomegranate.

On me, dry: hmm, this has blended down a bit, but this is a murky smell, not a bright one. This doesn't seem like the usual BPAL rose, since that doesn't usually go so weird on me.

Verdict: This seems like it could be awesome, but these scents just don't play together well on my skin. I wanted juicy, I got powdery floral over stickiness. Sigh.

This is a simple, straightfoward blend. Wet, I get tart pomegranate and sweet rose in equal measure. Dry, the rose takes the background and the tartness grows. I like this one, it's evocative of a very rich, lush, wet red with maybe a hint of a pink undertone. It lasts a long time, hours later I could still smell the pomegranate, though the rose had faded.

I don't think I need a 5ml, but I really enjoy my imp.

I put it on, and the first impression….it smelled like salame. After drying off a bit, it smelled very rosey, but still with that salame smell. Half an hour later, the salame smell is almost gone (might be mental at this point), and the sweet rose lotion scent is left. I like it, but I think just remembering that it smelled like salame will make me either hungry or sick...depending on my mood.

in bottle: Pomegranate. I love pomegranate.

on skin, wet: Pomegranate and something soft. I know it's the rose, but it's not giving me the typical rose scent. the pomegranate is just softened.

on skin, dry: this doesn't really morph at all, it remains a soft, somewhat ethereal pomegranate.

conclusion: the most amazing reaction I've had to a rose not (no super powder soap!). Absolutely lovely, 4/5 - because, as much as it's wonderful, I can't see myself wearing this.

This starts out as a lovely, seamless blend of rose and pomegranate. Unfortunately, the pomegranate disappears rather quickly, and I end up with just plain rose. It's not bad, but I tend not to like fragrances that are almost all floral, without anything else to balance them out, so this one is just not going to work for me.

I knew I probably shouldn't even try, because my skin amps rose to a freakish extent, but I had to. The combination of pomegranate and rose sounded so nice, and because I actually do like the scent of rose when it's not amped up to nose-blating proportions, I kind of live in hope that someday a rose scent will work on me. So I tried just the teeniest dab, when this showed up as a frimp...

The fact that it was a teeny dab is probably what's keeping it manageable, but the little trace I put on is not that bad. I definitely smell more rose than anything (surprise, suprise, on my skin), but the trace of pomegranate I can smell is just enough to make me think that this would be really nice on someone whose skin handled rose better. Or maybe in a scent locket or something, if I ever got around to getting one.

And over time, the rose settles down a bit and blends more fully with the pomegranate -- very delicate and pretty. It's not really my usual sort of scent, at all, but I'm almost tempted to keep it anyway.

Grade: B-

straight sniff from imp is all rosy pomegranites....so very pretty!!!!

hmmm...once applied the rose gets a somewhat "doughy" quality...similar to

bordello to me....no pomegranite whatsoever...pure rosy dough.....what a shame

as i had such high hopes for this one :P

Edited by sookster

Oooh, I got Persephone as a frimp!

In the vial:

This smells a little boozy in the vial. Too cloying and sweet. It grabs you and holds you close, like Aunt Ruth squishing you to her busom while you struggle to avoid a wet pomegranatey kiss.

On the skin:

Wow. Immediate transformation. Roses are blooming on my wrist. Big roses with just a touch of that candy smell in the background. I think a friend of mine would love this. And since during my packing I found an imp of "Ode to Melancholy", another rose scent, I might send both to her tomorrow. I'm just not a big fan of roses.

The Dry Down:

I ran outside just now to compare a real life rose to the scent of my perfume. The real rose was pale and lifeless in comparison. However, to be fair, Persephone is now mostly Pomegranate. I should know because yesterday I had a Pomegranate Smoothie at Starbucks. Perspehone smells just like the smoothie tastes, except the Rose ingredients blunts the bittersweet aftertaste that straight up pomegranate can sometimes leave behind. This scent is very clean. It would make a nice lotion.

Final Verdict: After about an hour I have decided that Persephone is a pomegranate that has rose petals for a rind. This scent really is "lovely", like the description says. Not my type of perfume, but of all the rose imps that have been sent to me, this one is my favorite. Elegant in its simplicity, sheer and sweet. A good blend for a young woman. And I think it could be quite versatile, both for daytime wear or for dinner. This would be a particularly nice scent to mix with a shimmery powder to dust along the clavicle and cleavage. Not that it is particularly sexy however, but I think the sniffer would want to come closer to get more of the smell which over time "stains" the skin with a lightpomegranate-rose scent. And that's pretty sexy all by itself, no?