Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Persephone

Beautiful, radiant daughter of Demeter... her loveliness was so exquisite that even Hell itself could not resist her. Pomegranate and rose.

Persephone is a crisply sweet rose scent that drew RAVE reviews from the guys in my office. It was hard to keep a straight face while guys ten years younger than I tried to explain to the student worker in the office how feminine and *juicy* she smelled, all while I'm standing at the copy machine three feet away and being the actual culprit.

She got four dates out of it, so it'll be a repeat purchase for me, and perhaps a birthday present to her! :P

Juicy, red, and so very bright! It’s one of my favorite of the fruit blends. Imagine a perfect, ripe pomegranate and the wettest, sweetest rose you’ve ever smelled rolled into one.

I really liked this one as it was exactly the right combination of fruity and floral. However, the pomegranate smelt rather sickly on my skin so I don't think I will be buying it. I think that's just how it smelt on me though as it smelt lovely in the bottle. I would recommend this but won't be buying it for myself.

Because to me, Persephone is much more rose than fruity. Neat how it does that. Still lovely though.

ADDED Jan. 27:

If Persephone is too sweet for you, and it is pretty sweet, try it with Shadow on first. I did today and it was a great combo on my skin.

They melded in a way I didn't expect with the lemon and the rose and the pomegranate blooming in this aura of sandalwood and patchouli. Yum.

Experimenting can sometimes change a BPAL you're iffy on as I was about Shadow and can make something you love, Persephone, have a whole new dimension. Mix and matchin'!

Edited by Shollin

I am not particularly a big fan of rose, but I do like it when combined with other scents and since I love fruity florals, I tried this one. I loved the pomegrante in it, but just couldn't get past the rose in it. As the others mentioned, it is both fruity and rose. I think if the pomegrante would have been more prominent than the rose, I could have loved this, but both notes are equally noticeable. I'll probably use the rest of my sample, but doubt I'd buy it. Sorry rose...I know I should try to like you more!

I knew I couldn't go wrong with Persephone - I adore pomegranates and I love roses.

But the two days I've worn it this week, my office crush has been in near constant orbit around my desk.

It goes on juicy and lush, and dries to a veil of sweet, but not too sweet.

I don't smell either rose or pomegrante in particular, just this wonderful blend of floral fruit without being too much either way.

It does fade out on me, though. It's got a life of about 5 hours or so before I can't smell it anymore.

<sob> i wanted to love this one so much ... but alas my chemistry foils me once again :P This smelled so wonderful in the vial a gorgeous mix of rose and pomagrante, but after i put it on it turned to a smell that reminds of me nail polish remover... but on a friend of mine it smells so beautiful a nice juicy wet rosy smell

Ok, this is my 'at first sniff' review:

It's strong in the bottle. It's a 'tingy' scent. It reminds me of medium white wine. When I first opened the bottle, it smelled boozy to me.

I haven't worn it yet. Will update when worn.

i'm all about pomegranates but i found this perfume had too much rose in it for me and was a bit too sweet. for more of a pomegranate smell i went with swank.

"Wet" really is a great description for this scent. On me, it smells as juicy hours later as it does when I first put it on. This is a great scent for those who find most rose scents too strong or grandma-ish.

On me this is a really tangy, juicy pomegranite with just a touch of rose after the long dry-down. Wet, its nothing but ripe tart pomegranite. In fact, its so tart and tangy on me I can feel it in the back of my throat when I sniff it, sort of like when I taste a fresh lemon. Its lovely but I just don't psychologically enjoy smelling like food. Although, I can see how in the heat and humidity of summer this would be a refreshing scent.

Persephone is the smell of eating the crispest, sweetest Fuji apple of the season while hanging upside down from a Magnolia tree in the late summer, and feeling the juice run down your cheeks into your hair, which is brushing the white-bloom-covered ground as your bare toes wiggle against blue sky. Very soft but deep, golden and yielding. I felt innocent and clean and rosy-cheeked today, and Persephone was the perfect accomplice.

Very wet and juicy rose. This really is like a rose that you want to eat, because it is so sweet and... sugared? Very girly but not too much for my liking.

Perspehone is so juicy & beautiful...its unlike any rose blend I have ever smelled before. For me it conjures up a heady fruity floral medieval scent, wafting up through layers of lush velvets & fabrics as I wander round the gardens at the Tudor courts playing games of courtly love! Wasn't the pomegranate one of the fated 6 wives symbol?? Wish I could remember which one now!! It might have been Katherine of Aragon!! Its rich and yet its not cloying...its fruity and sweet yet ripe & rosey. I definitely need more than an Imps Ear of this fragrance!!

Claire xxx

at first when i got this, it smelled like alchol and i avoided trying it,

i tried it today, since i was about to take a shower, but it made me not want to.

it smells delicious!!!! im suprised how much i like it

im actually considering buying more, but i should probably finish my imps ear first

i cant put my finger on it, but i have smelled this before

Edited by velvet

when I first sniffed this one in the bottle I was in love. it smelled fresh a crisp and juicy. when I put it on it smelled that way for maybe a minute before the rose came out. and boy, did it come out. it smelled ok for about 5 minutes then all I could smell was rose. strong heavy rose. I may try it out again when I feel floral, but I really don't think this will be a winner for me. I really liked the first sniff though, maybe I'll have to try Swank.

First sniff:

Oh this is lovely lovely. Pomegranate is the overpowering smell here which is natural given the subject matter of the perfume. Smells as lovely as springtime itself!!

After wearing it:

Oh you my darling Persephone are most definitely getting bought in large quantities. Once I put this on the rose bloomed into full bloom and mingled with the pomegranate into this lovely bouquet that actually had me reeling. Neither scent overpowers the other they are in perfect balance. Rose breaks down a bit of the tartness while the pomegranate prevents the blend from getting too old lady with roses smelling. This is the scent that caused the most beautiful boy I have ever met to talk to me. Persephone lasts for ages on me and is quite a girly scent. If there is one rose blended scent from BPAL I recommend it is this one!

Just smelling this from the bottle, it's already very juicy.

I don't know what pomegranates smell like, so I'm guessing that's the juicy smell. It's very sweet but not sickly sweet like candy, a juicy sweet. I can barely smell the rose underneath. I think this might be one of my favorites! (so far)

Edited by friendthegirl

My first review, so please bear with me.......

In The Bottle:

I smell pomegranate, but not just the full, dark seeds that burst between my teeth. There's something sneaky here, that occasional piece that hasn't quite turned, catching in the corner of my cheek and leaving my mouth to water from the tartness.

On My Skin:

The rose pushes through. It wraps itself around the fruit, confusing my nose. There's a battle of wills here, the rose is winning, but is bruised now, softer. The pomegranate has lost its' edge. It's sweet but not demanding. Smells a little like Turkish Delight.

Later That Day:

I am in love with this scent. It's all of my curves. It's having my hair played with. It's making love on a Sunday morning. It's sleepy, soft, welcoming. I wear this and I'm a Vargas Girl.

At first this was a little too juicy for me, but after about half an hour, it dries down to perfection...sweet pomegranate, with just the right amount of rose mixed in. I think I have found another favorite! :P

The rose is a delicate honeyed tea rose, like that in Lucy's Kiss, and the pomegranate is red-purple in its juiciness. Each time you sniff you grasp both the flower and the fruit and it is simply feminine and lovely and long-haired.

At first: all fruit; pomegranates and cherries; not good for me.

Then it gets powdery. It's sweet and juicy and slightly rosey on the skin, but all that wafts up is strong and powdery. Poop.

Persephone is burstingly bright when she first goes on, slowly becoming soft, sweet and warm. A deep red rose covered in dewdrops, being warmed by the sun is most predominant to me, with a little musk and the pomegranate’s succulent, ripe sweetness poking through. I was just about going mad trying to think what else it smells like, and then I read amazonqueen’s review: Turkish Delight! Yes, definitely, but more rosy. And it also reminds me of Spellbound a little, but I prefer Spellbound, it’s my favourite BPAL rose blend so far.

Edited by ViolentKitten

It is amazing how much this oil changed as soon as I put it on.

In the vial, all I could smell was nail polish remover! A good-smelling one, admittedly, but still... not the kind of scent you want to wear all day! :D

When I put it on, the alcohol smell disappeared right away.

Wet, Persephone was very sweet, very rosey, almost a candied rose.

On the drydown it gets juicier and juicier, now I get the pomegranate that at first I could not smell at all.

The balance between the floral and the fruitiness is wonderful. Actually, the flower and the fruit are so complementary and so busy morphing into each other that I think my nose is a bit confused. But in a delicious way. I am amazed at the depth and the complexity Beth managed to create with just two notes! :P

Persephone is definitely rosey, but on me it is like a delicate tea rose in full bloom.

ETA: I have worn it three times now and it is gorgeous. I am getting a big bottle of this ASAP, and I will also be making lotion, massage bars and linen spray with it. I am in love.

Edited by Ishtar

Persephone is so far, my favorite scent. I can really smell the Pomegranate in it, and when I wear it, my chemistry seems to really bring it out more then the rose in the blend. Most people who have smelled it on me have told me I smell "juicy" (as others here have said). A few have asked me if the oil had grape accents in it. I have added Persephone to my bath, and noticed it really stays with me for a long time if I do not wear any other scented products. When I smell it straight from the bottle, it reminds me night rituals and warm, humid summer nights. I adore it.

For me, it is a heavy scent... but as it wears down, it's perfect.

-Leslie