Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Persephone

Beautiful, radiant daughter of Demeter... her loveliness was so exquisite that even Hell itself could not resist her. Pomegranate and rose.

In the vial (initial impression):
Mmm, pomegranate! I adore the fruit itself, and its taste, so this is sweet to my very soul. :P

Initially on (wet):
I could really do without the rose, because it's good enough without it! I wish my skin would bring out the pomegranate more.

Wearing it (dry):
10-20 mins after application, the pomegranate is coming through more, but the rose is still "in the way" of it.

20-30 mins later, that pesky rose is still bugging me.

An hour and a half later, it has nearly faded away entirely, but the pomegranate is at least prominent.

Finally:
Really ambivalent about this one! I think it'll go in my swap pile...

Oh boy, is this one a keeper! :P

I love roses and adore pomegranite, so I had my hopes up for this one... and boy was I not disappointed!

This scent is so fresh and ripe and dripping with juiciness! The rose and pomegranite play so well together with neither one taking over too much. This is such a clean, sweet, happy scent- Maybe it was because it just made me feel so juicy and feminine, but I actually noticed it seemed as if people were really hanging around to chat alot longer when I wore this one out! It has an innocence to it, but a strong touch of feminine romance at the same time.

This doesn't seem to morph much on me, but stays pretty true with a really wonderful throw to it.

I wanted to like Persephone. I really, really did! I adore pomegranate and I usually like roses. However, the rose in this blend completely overpowered all of the sweetness the pomegranate offered and eventually turned into a powdery, old-lady-type smell. Ah well. I love 2/4/7, so maybe I can layer that with some Swank (if I ever manage to get my perfume-ordering priorities in order) to get the effect I hoped Persephone would offer. Ah well. Off to the swaps!

Bottle-Rose, but the pomegranate is tempering it.

Wet-Lots of rose, but a richer smell than typical English Rose perfume.

Drydown *sigh* The pomegranate is trying, but there is just too much rose. I like pomegranate though, so I'll have to try some of the other ones with pomegranate notes. Beth's rose notes are just too strong for me most of the time.

This is a Classic Perfume by any standards that any bpaler new to the fandom should try, or at least experience in one form or another. I myself, am one of the few that hasn't even though I've been into bpal for about a year! Blapshemy you say.

Well imagine my surprise when I actually put this one on after wafting about trying it. (I'm bad about trying samples.)

Glorious Glorious rose wafting with the simple dripping juiciness of poms. Rose perfume doesn't always go well with me. Either it turns very old ladyish upon me, or just disappears. A few perfumes have been slowing turning my perception of them elsewhere and this perfume is no exception. I feel very pretty and understated in this. Persephone is the perfect springtime perfume. It has a good amount of throw as that I can smell upon me the small spot where I put it.

It reminds me of rose jelly that I got once in France when I went there with my school. So juicy with a perfumey undertone.

Excellent Perfume, very reccomended.

In bottle: Tangy, fruity smell, in other words, all pomegranate. I couldn't make out the rose.

On skin: There's a nice balance between the pomegranate and rose, but on me, the rose isn't quite enough to temper the pomegranate. It smells tangy and not sweet enough. After a few minutes I can smell honey, and it brings to mind goblets of wine, honeyed figs, and all the beauty of the myth.

The first hour or so it smells wonderful. It's a lovely scent, but it doesn't work exactly right on me--maybe I'm just not comfortable with fruitier scents, or my skin doesn't tolerate it well. It gets kind of sour. If fruit is your kind of thing, I highly recommend this one. I wish this worked for me--it's absolutely beautiful! I'm keeping the imp, even if I can't wear it.

Two of the most beautiful scents in the world combined. In some ways the pomegranate makes the rose that much richer. It reminds me of walking in a rose garden when I was a kid. This is my favorite rose of all.

Persephone: this is an odd one on me. The first day I wore it, I couldn't smell anything at all except maybe a faint hint of sweetness, despite slathering it liberally. It was almost like I wasn't wearing perfume at all. My husband said he could smell it, though.

The second day, I slathered and put some in a scent locket. Now I can definitely smell it, but it seems somehow...lacking in power? Weak? I can't think of a better way to word it. It smells distinctly like roses, with a fruity sweetness underneath (which is obviously the pomegranate).

*edited later in the day to add:* In my scent locket, Persephone has gotten stronger over the course of the day- now, about nine hours after loading it into the locket, it's almost overwhelming- and also almost pure rose. I can't detect it on my skin at all, though.

I like it, but I don't love it. I was hoping that I would- I'm always disappointed when I don't fall in love with a new scent. :P I'll keep the imp, but doubt I'll buy more. 3/5.

Edited by lilirose

I love pomegranates, so I was prepared to love Persephone as well. Alas, I can't smell the pomegranate at all, either in the imp or on me.

On me, it smells a lot like roses, which wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't also an edge of old rose water and nail polish remover to it. Slightly bitter and a bit overwhelming.

Another nay from my body chemistry. I'm disappointed I couldn't get the pomegranate but I'll try to pass it on to someone else and maybe they'll be luckier with this scent.

I was really hoping I would like Persephone, but I don't. If one could make a rose-flavored candy, and make it sickly sweet, it would be like Persephone. It isn't quite so bad when it dries, though.

You know how roses can have a bit of a sharp, acrid "aftersmell"? I think I made that word up, but I mean the scent equivalent of an aftertaste. Anyway, they can and do sometimes, so while I like rose a lot, it isn't a guarantee of a beautiful smell.

But in the case of Persephone on my skin, either this rose never gets that sharpness or the pomegranate slaps it down and makes it sweet. The two blend together really nicely on me, with neither one taking over, and there really isn't a discernable change from bottle to skin or in the drydown. Gorgeous, just as juicy as others have described her, and now one of my favorites. :P

People seem to love or hate this one.

I was fully prepared to love Persephone.

And I didn't hate her! I was just remarkably ambivalent.

I've worn various rose scents, including straight-up red rose oil from Renaissance festival herbalists, for over ten years. I love pomegranate as a delicious treat when my grocery store has them, or the occasional pomegranate martini.

But I'm guessing I don't like fruit notes if they aren't tempered by amber/resin or musk, or something earthier or greener, because on me, simply fruit + sweet or fruit + floral = eh. I felt like a billion roses had been steeped in pomegranate juice, and I was wearing the result. The rose was lovely and pure, and I think I liked the pomegranate, just not together. It was nice, but I usually ended up layering it with something else to give it more character.

(I'll be trying other pomegranate scents so I can get an actual feel for Beth's pomegranate.)

In imp: A very tart pomegranate

Wet: Straight up rose

Right now (10+ minutes): A fresh rose! So pretty!

I really like this. It smells like this nice bar of rose soap I got at Target once. Very fresh and clean. On my twin, you can slightly smell the pomegranate, but it's not showing up on me at all.

This review is based on Persephone in my scent locket.

I'm not really sure if I put too much on or what.. but this smells very sour to me. I can smell the rose but (I believe it is the pomegranate) smells very sour to me. The scent wafts up to my nose often.. sometimes I smell the rose and think Mmmmm then others I get the sour (almost like vomit after a night of drinking too many scorpion bowls) smell.

It's a weird sour.. like I got from a l'artisan scent that had patchouli and rose (voulour le roses?) that made me sick to my stomache with a weird sour rosey scent. So I can't be 100% sure that it's the pomegranate. I love Evelyn perfume though (and the david austin rose!) and this isn't that for me.

Not really a favorite for me.. maybe I should try it on my skin though and it will lose the sour edge.

I hope rose red is smoother!

Edited by Elizabethm

oh this one is beautiful, it's the young girl before she is taken to hades, with the promise of horror to come fluttering in the air.

the roses aren't in the foreground or very well blended with something i can only assume is the pomegranate. my skin loves it and on me it's gorgeous. absolutely gorgeous, but very young. i'm thinking maybe too young for me but then i turn around, clutching the imp in my sweaty hands: mine!

this is my innocence in a vial.

wow. i didn't expect that one.

same as innocence, it doesn't last very long though. it was gone after a couple of hours.

the good thing is i can get myself a bottle of this one. :P

Edited by lefthandmade

IN THE IMP: A really bright and tangy, juicy pomegranate with some rose balancing it. I keep getting this odd sour note once in a while too, which I don't THINK is from the pomegranate... It actually reminds me of the sour note I got in Jezebel, and the only note the two have in common is rose. Though I can't imagine why roses would smell sour to me.

WET: Oh, the rose note is a lot more obvious now. After reading about all the trouble rose scents seem to give a lot of people, I was really worried, but this is a very soft, sweet rose. It smells like rosewater, but with a fruity note to it, and it's really quite lovely.

DRY: A really juicy, fruity rose. The pomegranate and rose blend together really well, and this is a wonderful sweet, fruity floral.

This scent is red, red, red.

That's funny because I "saw" Persephone as pink, pink, pink.

I really wanted to like her. Really really. In the imp she had a seriously wet, juicy fruity smell with almost no detectable rose. On my skin ... cotton candy. Gourmet fruity cotton candy, to be sure, but cotton candy, and stayed that way to the end. Ugh.

Mmmm. Just like it says, pomegranate and rose. The pomegranate seems much truer here than in other pomegranate BPALs I've tried. It plays perfectly with the rose, like a fine chamber duet, and I think at least one bottle would be a fine idea.

In vial: Sharp, almost alcoholic, fruitiness. Reminds me of sweet red apples.

Wet on skin: The pomegranite is definitely the stronger element of this to me; the rose comes as almost an afterthought.

Dry: The rose begins to develop over time. It's very much a double-whammy: sweet, wet pomegranite that transforms into a mellower, velvety rose after a few seconds. The throw on this is amazing-- most scents stick very close to the skin on me, but this is able to waft all the way from my wrists to my nose even after 6 hours. Wow!

This works soooo well on me: it's all I can do not to order a big bottle right this second! :P

ETA: I finally ordered a big bottle (or two) of this, and I still love it! It seems to do something strange to the men in my life-- my boyfriend couldn't keep his nose away from my neck, and I had a troupe of men lingering near me in the office...good stuff indeed!

Edited by allybee

Persephone has a strong, apple-like, young rose fragrance to it. It's as if Rose Red had some of the greenery stripped away and then some juicy pomegranate seeds were added. There is almost a bitterness to the way that the rose and pomegranate mingle, yet in some ways I find it fitting to the myth and story of Persphone. This is worth checking out if you like rose, pomegranate, or have an affinity with Persephone.

imp: let's see... i love pomegranate and i hate rose nd this smells just like a pomegranate rose.

wet: the rose is overpowering my beloved pomegranate. i smell like guest soap. :P

dry: soapy, awful rose. will rose never love me?!

Bottle: Tangy pomegrantes with a slight tart perfumey rose

On Me: The rose becomes less tart and helps balance out the pomegranate. This is a very tangy fresh scent, something to wear in the summer I think. The pomegranate, despite the rose, is very much the key note in this one.

Aw, shucks.

In the vial, and for the first 10 min or so on my skin, this was a lovely, happy, pomegranate with the sweetness of rose.

After that, the rose took over completely, lasted for another 10 min or so, and then went powdery. Weird. I don't always have issues with BPAL rose blends, but this one appears to be an unlucky one. *sigh* Off to swaps, I guess.

ETA: double click = funky formatting? Whatever, looks better now...

Edited by Pika

In the vial: Soapy. I don't get pomegranate or rose just a strong sweet smell.

On the skin: Still soapy. Unpleasant.

10 minutes later: It's faded very fast to almost nothing, which might a good thing!

Overall: I can't see wearing this again. I was really looking forward to Persephone and it was a bit of a disappointment.

1/5

Didn't make me gag, but I really didn't like it.

My best friend frimped me (she hates rose.. I am in :P with rose!! HAHA!!! Yay for meeee!!)

This is AMAZING! Super sweet mega juicy roses with pomegranate..just like the description. It's more rose than pom., which is fine with me!! As it dries down, it just wafts all around me in a lovely sweet juicy rose.. I am in LOVEEEEEEEEE!!!!