Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Persephone

Beautiful, radiant daughter of Demeter... her loveliness was so exquisite that even Hell itself could not resist her. Pomegranate and rose.

In the Bottle Juicy wet yumminess

Wet I smell DIVINE. Ohhhhh....... mmmmmmmmm. The rose and pomegranate are so beautifully intertwined....... :D

Drydown The rose has pushed ahead slightly. :P I have to apply more to keep the pomegranate going.

2 Hours Later It fades somewhat. The rose eventually takes over. Damnit.

Verdict It's so lush and gorgeous...... I just wish it was stronger and had more staying power.

In the imp - hmmmm, pleasantly fruity.

Initial application - Smells like apple to me. Nice.

10 minutes later - hello rose! Wow! What an amazing transformation!

I can't remember if I ordered this imp, or it was a serendipidious frimp. Either way, Persephone is on the fast track to my favorites!

High-nose tinge at first, the alcohol of commercial perfumes in floral tones. High and green fruit tone emerges, followed by a juicy rose. Way too bright for me for most of it, and then when it settles down, very nice, but not my favorite.

I'm normally big on the rosey scents, but I don't think this one is gonna work for me. The light rose smell is there, but there's an underlying plastic-y smell that comes out on me. I don't think it's the pomegranate, because I love Swank. This is definitely a light pink, perfumey type of rose scent. I'm more into the red rose smell, like the famed Rose Red. Persephone seems to soften up a little into something nicer the longer I wear it, so maybe I will keep my imp. :P

Persephone

In the imp: pomegranate and rose. It's tart, juicy, sweet, and floral all in one.

Wet on skin: this is a sharp, tangy, crisp mix of fruit and flower. The rose and pomegranate mingle together into one, it's like a rosy pomegranate, or a really fruity rose. It's lovely!

Dry on skin: the rose goes to the forefront of the scent, it's a warm, dry rose, it reminds me of the Turkish rosewater that my mum uses for ironing! (yup, she adds rosewater to the iron to fragrance the clothes-much nicer than Vaporesse!) But that's no bad thing-it's lovely, and the pomegranate has the effect of simply enhancing the juicy, fruity, tart aspects of the rose.

After a while: the rose and pomegranate are having a fight! And what a pleasant scented fight it is…first the rose takes over, then the pomegranate, then the rose, and so on…they swap places with each other all the time!

Eventually, rose wins, and the drydown is a soft, gorgeous, powdery rose.

Verdict: this is a rose fit for a goddess. Yup, it's another wonderful BPAL rose scent that I love. This is a youthful, fresh, full-bodied rose with a tart, sharp edge. The pomegranate adds it's own juicy tangy touch to the rose, the two notes complement each other nicely. It's a simple combination which works. I'm not sure if I'll get a bottle since I prefer Harlot, Kurukulla and Rose Cross, but this is wonderful all the same!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Mmm fruity! I love pomegranate and I was so delighted at the description of this scent. It's a good blend of pomegranate and rose. The rose is predominate on me when it's wet, and stays in the front even when dry.

And then...

It disappears. Seriously, within 15 minutes it was gone. :P I'm going to retry it, but if it's not successful then it's off to try Swank for me.

First Impression: Soapy roses.

Dried down to: Soapier roses.

Additional Comments: I never got the pomegranate - only the rose. It wound up smelling exactly the same as #20 Love Oil does on my skin. I've come to realize that, although I love rose, because it amps up so much on my skin and overpowers all "weaker" notes, it only works well for me in certain blends where the rose is tamed down somewhat.

Lasted: About 3 hours.

Rating: 2 out of 5

My Impression:

I simply adore this, I definitely get the roses but am unsure of the pomegranate at

the time of post. I thought I detected something somewhat citrusy so this may well be pomegrante to my untrained nose...at any rate this is FABULOUS, and its a keeper for sure :P

I'm wearing Persephone, which was in the first lot of imps I ordered.

I liked it when I got it without considering why, but today I'm sniffing it with an eye to review.

In the imp it's very sweet, but not sickening sweet. It's a round, fruity juicy smell with a whiff of candied rose petal.

As soon as it touches my skin, I get a really rich rose scent. Like a big blowzy bright pink rose, and the fruit almost dissapears, except for a teeny bit of sweetness.

Now I've been wearing it for a couple of hours, and I can still smell the rose, but it's softened and matured. I don't know how to describe it, but certain kinds of rose mix with my skin and become almost honey-musky, like a sweet skin scent.

Persephone fades over time to a lingering rosy sweetness. No one part predominates, but people still comment that I smell nice.

EDITED TO ADD: I just thought of why I like this scent so much. It reminds me of rose flavored turkish delight, which I love to eat. I'm definitely getting at least a 5ml of this, and maybe a big box of turkish delight.

Edited by HoneyHoneyNY

I had the same problem with Persephone that a few others had... the rose completely devours the pomegranate. This is also the type of rose that I'm not fond of. A sort of light soapy rose. For a while it had a burnt of plasticy undertone that was making me sick.

All in all, Persephone gives me a soapy-floral headache... :P

Ever since finding out I love Rose Red, I have been on the search for rose scents.

This one is it for me. The pomegranate is almost non-existent, I just get the same glorious rose of Rose Red. No green stage, no icy stage, but the rose is heavenly.

This will do nicely when I run out of Rose Red. :P

I am a very recent inductee into the BPAL worship :D, and this was the first scent I tried on, since I am a fan of all that is rose.

In the bottle: A very sweet and fruity floral, almost juicy. I think the pomegranate just dominates the rose.

Wet: Okay, there's the rose coming back. A very rich rose, deep flame-red and begging for you to shove your nose in.

Drydown: On me, for a while the rose and pomegranate fight it out like two combatants in a death cage. Eventually the rose wins out, but there is a dusky depth to it when I compare it to a straight rose oil I have. It's like sniffing the roses in my in-laws' back yard, because they also have a fig tree there.

Final verdict: Since I adore rose, I like this one very much. I can see getting a bottle of this, eventually, or just replacing the imp each time I empty one. It might have been my favorite if I hadn't sampled Two, Five & Seven since :P

Shannon

After reading the reviews here, I have to wonder if my imp was mis-labelled.

In the bottle, it was all jasmine with maaaaybe a little rose in the background; once it got on my skin it was horrible. I cannot wear any type of jasmine, it smells absolutely vile on me.

This was definitely a night-blooming jasmine as it is the worst by far. There was a very sweet note behind it though...posssibly the pomengranate?

If your skin doesn't like jasmine (and provided my imp wasn't mis-labelled), this is not going to work for you. :P

Not much to add that hasn't already been said. This is fruity, juicy, bubbly, floral, and just gorgeous. The pomegranate really makes the rose sparkle. Very lovely. If you're looking for a unique or more complex rose, this is a good choice. :P

This turned instantly soapy on me. A fancy rose-scented soap, like those hard bricks of soap wrapped in gold foil with the rose printed on the wrapper. I smelled like my grandmother's bathroom.

When I opened the bottle I thought, "Yep, that's pomegranate and rose, all right." But the rose just took over once I had it on.

After an hour or so the soap scent faded and it just smelled rosy - not perfume-rosy, but not fresh-rosy, either. It was too strong for that. Weirdly enough, if I rubbed my wrists together? It smelled like crushed or wilting rose petals.

Two to three hours in, I was just beginning to smell some sweet pomegranate behind the rose, when it abruptly faded almost to nothing, except a rosy bit that was pricking my nose, so I washed it off.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Pomegranate.

In the imp/bottle: Soft, powdery rose and juicy pomegranate.

On skin, wet: Juicy, fresh, ripe pomegranate covered by a wispy, dark rose.

On skin, dry: One of the very few rose scents that lets another note peek out! The pomegranate in this is very sweet, but the rose keeps it from being cloying. It doesn't seem to have much staying power, though.

Conclusion: I'm still not a big fan of rose, but when it's not a prominentnote, it's not always bad. As it is, this fades too quickly to be very useful as a perfume oil, but it would be great as a spray, or with an unscented lotion.

Edited by Aredhel

in the bottle: Fresh pomengranate juice and ginger ale (don't ask).

wet on skin: I'm not getting much rose out of this, which is very surprising. There is a faintly spicy scent to it, which I reckon is why I thought of ginger ale when I first sniffed my imp. But, it's mostly all the fruitiness of the pomengranate.

dry: still fruity, with the slightest wisp of rose. Fruit scents don't number among my favourites, or even among my kind-of likes. But, this one doesn't bother me all that much. That being said, I'll probably leave this as just an imp and not get a big bottle.

In the bottle: juicy.

On the skin, the pomegranite briefly gave way to the rose, before battling back for it's equal share of time. The rose and pomegranite both stay strong on my skin, and smell lovely. I've worn this twice now, and both times my husband commented on liking how I smelled without me prompting him to sniff. I'll be buying a big bottle with my next order. Fortunately this is a long lasting scent on me, which means my imp should make it until my bottle gets here.

From the bottle: This one is GORGEOUS. It's light in the rose. Much more pomegrante. it's very unique. sharp, but not painfully so.

On me: roses. mmm. smells like pot porri. im not smelling the pomegranate now. it's not light, but not overpowering.

Two hours later: i like this one. it reminds me of les fleurs du mal, but not as strong. have't gotten to the pomegranate yet, but the roses smiles nice. i might get one.

Rose. Roseroserose.

I have this sneaking suspicion that my skin just amps the rose scent, cause it seems that whatever blend I´ve tried so far, I´ve not been able to tell any other notes... :P Stupid skin! Cause I don´t really like roses, they smell like my grandmother´s bathroom when I was a kid, and I didn´t even like it back then. However, if you like roses, this is a very crisp one, and it feels like all roses, not stems or anything green, just pure petals and kinda pink, in a way. I wish I would get the juicy pomegranate that other reviewers did, though :D

This is a beautiful perfume indeed!

I get rose, fantastic rose, with a light fruity undertone and the acid touch of the pomegranate.

This is a different rose scent, in a floral-fruity blend. Perfect for the summer. :P

Edited by quimerula

When I put this on I get rose, that is it. No pomegranate, just rose. No juiceness either, a powdery rose. About 5 minutes into wear I start picking up a little juice from the pomegranate but it is very faint. THe longer this is on my skin the more the pomegranate shows up, but it is still faint compared to the rose. It is pretty though.

In the bottle, i smell a deceiving bubble gum smell.

Applied, it's a true rose smell. Initially there's a juicy vibe, but drying down, the rose just comes out and blooms the pomegranate right out of olfactory existence. I don't mind the rose at all.. It's a nice, fresh rose.

This makes me think of large pink roses in a crystal vase. Glossy and full of fragrance.

It's a decidedly feminine scent. I like it, but I can't see myself wearing it often. Maybe on an occasion when I feel the need to be especially girly and sweet.

Persephone

In the bottle: Not quite agreeing with me. It must be the pomegranate that doesn't like my nose, but it just smells...icky. I can't put my finger on it.

Wet: Oh, no. I still don't like something in this. I was wondering if I was going to love all my BPALs, but I didn't want to not love this one!

Drydown: Finally, the whatever yucky smell I had before has faded, and I have the juicy pomegranate and the fresh rose. This is good, because I really wanted to like this one, and I like it better now. It smells ripe, extremely juicy, and yet rosy at the same time. It's like Persephone's two temperaments battling each other for dominance.

Verdict: Eventually, on me at least, the rose wins out, though the pomegranate doesn't leave altogether, it's just not as strong. It's warm and sweet, sort of "green" smelling...it reminds me of the Garden of Eden, the innocence before the Fall. I keep getting 'warm' vibes from it, and fruity. I think it evokes Persephone perfectly, and I'm glad that it's finally worked out with my body chemistry. I'll have to wear this a few more times to see if I like it enough to buy another bottle of it.

The first imp I had of this was, I think, slightly yellow in color and the pomegranate was more pronounced. The imp I just received as a freebie from the lab is clear, and the rose is much stronger. Ahhh, I think I liked the first incarnation the best but I still like it and I am hoping to receive a bottle later this year as a gift since I asked very nicely. :P Maybe this will age and the pomegranate will get stronger.

I love pomegranate. This is one of the blends in which pomegranate is the strongest, I think, though you definitely have to be open to rose to wear it. I don't like rose all the time but when it works, it works.

Sweet, succulent, ruby red pomegranate...sweetening the otherwise sharp and slightly perfumey rose. So simply but so elegant, and I think that it likes my skin after all.

If you like the pomegranate and rose combo in Queen of Clubs this should work for you as well...I was thinking I could layer it with Graveyard Dirt or something else that's slightly earthy to recreate that Queeny scent but Persephone is nice on her own as well!

One of the lab's simplest delights...there are few finer pleasures than two lovely scents that complement each other so perfectly. A bit more floral than my tastes typically run but one of the only things that can save rose for me is rich red fruit (amber and earth are two other rose-savers).

I do hope I get a bottle. I think I'll especially want this in the spring.