Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

La Petite Mort

Seduction, sensuality, the Act, and the aftermath all in one. The scent of warm, damp skin flushed with the glow of passion, touched by the luxuriant potency of ylang ylang and myrrh

In the imp: A little something herbal maybe?

Wet on my skin: ROSE

Dry on my skin: ROSE ROSE ROSE ROSE. I think maybe I smell something spicy fighting to get out behind the rose, but it's a losing battle against the GREAT BIG ROSE.

I can't tell you how many promising blends just turn into rose oil on my skin. I like rose, but since I can wear any of a million imps and be smelling like a rose, I don't think I need a big bottle of any of them.

Sigh.

Best,

Tzi

ETA: I was worried when I finally looked at the list of notes and rose wasn't even listed! But others are getting the big rose too, so I hope I'm right. I don't see how that scent could be anything but rose.... Edited by tziporra

In the bottle: Honey and flowers, smells VERY similar to O, which I love.

On Me: Seems like a more toned down, slighty powdery version of O. Less cloying, and with a rose undertone. It has the warmth and a slight spice that makes me think of resin. Someone said it was like staying in bed on a Saturday and I can totally see it. It's the warmth of a body, sun light on bed sheets, the afterglow of making love, a little drowsy, and absolutely lovely. Really really enjoy this one.

La Petit Mort is such a beautiful creamy scent that’s both rich and light all at once. It feels like an almost milky soft honey, with just a touch of ylang ylang and some myrrh to spice it up. The sensual element mentioned in the description is definitely the core of this blend, swirling the other notes around with the sensation of flushed and glowing skin. There’s nothing ‘dirty’ or ‘who just did it on my wrists?’ about La Petit Mort, it’s like all the most intimate and exciting parts of sex without any of the messy stuff. :P It reminds me of baby powder, but not in an unappealing or artificial way at all, it’s more the feeling of powdery soft and shower-fresh skin. This is one of those scents that smells so familiar and natural that I could put it on and think it was just me that I was smelling and not a perfume oil.

Definitely a hit for me and one I will wear often!

what a great combo ylang ylang and myrrh! both are equally balanced and the mrryh pops out just a bit more than the ylang ylang on me

i'm not certain how likely this is for a bottle, i tried it a second time and didn't like it as much as the first try so i'll have to try it again.

From first sniff "warm, sweet, smoky, musky honey" springs to mind. Then the scent deepens on my skin to a strong honey - makes me think of the jar of dark amber fragrant English Heather Honey I have in the kitchen. Yum ... Then something slightly floral and sophisticated appears, and then more muskiness. Something very comforting about this perfume - very relaxing in a blissed-out way, maybe because of the honey association (hot buttered toast with lashings of it anyone ... ?). No sign of honey in the ingredients list though.

There's a spicy muskiness to it that's also comforting in an animal kind of way. Ends up mellowing even deeper into "spicy musky honey" ... mmmm ... :P

Bottle: Ylang Ylang and myrrh

Wet: The same, maybe a touch of floral.

Drydown: It's sexy and girly, but I'm not sure I like it. It doesn't seem like me, I guess.

2.5 outta 5

In the bottle this has a musky slightly floral smell. Like snake oil and a hint of roses. On my skin though it warms into a very sexy, dark, scent. It's very smooth and has a blatantly sexy smell. The description for this scent is perfect.

At first sniff it smells waem and spicy, with a slight vanilla powdryness. It smells like it could belong in the lighter end of the Snake Oil family. Once on it's not doing much for me. Now dry, there's not much throw and I don't think it likes my chemistry very much :P

Imp: Sweetness with a bit of a sharp, floral undertone.

Wet: Boiled sweets. It smells a bit delicate and old fashioned. Very sweet.

Dry: Behold, world! I have finally found a ylang ylang that doesn't go wonky on my skin! This is lovely. I completely get that "flushed, glowing skin" scent with a little honey sweetness (maybe my old nemesis ylang ylang?) and some lovely incense from the myrrh.

Throw: This is a skin scent. But it's the type of scent that would be kind of revolting if it had huge throw. This is meant to be a very private, personal scent.

Overall: I loved Eos, but found the herbs a bit overpowering at times. This reminds me of Eos without the herbal qualities. This is very beautiful and very, very sexy. I'll use my imp up and see if I miss it. Potential big bottle.

In bottle/imp: Very warm, sweet musk with very uplifting myrrh and a good helping of ylang ylang.

Immediately on skin: This is very sweet. There’s a light musky base, plus some very sweet myrrh and the smooth ylang ylang. This is very sweet and resinous, though also a little dirty. It almost has a waxy feel overall.

After a little while: This has morphed into a very smooth skin musk scent with a spicy creaminess from the ylang ylang and myrrh. The myrrh isn’t heavy at all in this and actually smells more like really heavy-duty Morocco-esque carnation than the thick resinous scent I usually get from it. This is still a sweeter scent, but it’s a very close-to-the-skin sweetness.

Overall Impressions: This scent is warm and sensual. It has a nice creaminess to it, and a close warmth. The myrrh is controlled well, and the scent is blended very well. Like Smut, it smells of sex, but this is more of a nuzzling scent to Smut’s all-out raunchiness.

Just beautiful- that's what this scent is.

Warm, musky powdered honey. The myrrh and ylang ylang are lovely together. This is definitely bottle-worthy.

Edited by voodoocatwoman

Imp: Powder-floral lovely feminine scent.

Wet: Oh my goodness. Powder overload! It's almost being like suffocated in it.

Dry: Mmm, that's definitely a headache developing. Sigh. :P

Overall: Another one of those "I would've loved to love this" scents. It's too potent for me, even after it has dried down. If there's a way to make it more subtle I'd wear it, and on certain occasions only at that.

Got an imp of La Petite Mort from a swap today.

I am not sure if powder is the smell of failure, but that's all I have got to show from this imp.

The same fate befell me when trying out Erato, so perhaps its a hint that these girls just aren't for me.

Very sad. :P

La Petite Mort was a free gift from the lab. I would NEVER have chosen to try this on my own, because I noticed others thought it had a vanilla scent to it and I. Do. Not. Like. Vanilla. At all.

Somehow, though, I think I really like La Petite Mort! It's not overpowering, it doesn't smell like weird fake vanilla; on my boyfriend it smells like vanilla ice cream but it smells a lot less foody on me I think; and I tried layering it with Chimera and it smelled GREAT with that added spiciness. I dunno if I like it enough for a whole bottle, probably not; I will definitely get another imp of it though.

In the imp: Myrrh, sweet almonds.

Wet on skin: a softer warm, almond smell, bit of vanilla. A pleasant close aroma.

Dry on skin: Soft sensual. Still traces of vanilla, almond, ylang ylang and myrrh, all blended together. Smells similar to baby powder for a short time, then it deepens into a spicier, skin glowing scent like skin close-up with a touch of gold.

Verdict: Comforting, soft, sweet smell with a hint of ylang ylang, and a deep note of myrrh. The aroma of warmed up skin. More of a mood scent...

I've got to get a bottle of this! The ylang ylang is amazing. Creamy vanilla, kinda smokey and the dry down on me has a touch of honey (but that could just me my chemistry).

It's romantic, soft and very sexy, but in a white, cotton gown kind of way. Windows open with fresh air and a light breeze brushing over bare skin while on a magnificent bed of crisp, clean linens (though this does not resemble any kind of linen smell, it just makes me imagine being on them.).

Lovely.

If Hollywood Babylon is innocence shattered, this is innocence retained by true love.

Edited by vanillaoakmoxy

in the imp: skin musk and a sweet unidentifiable floral.

wet on skin: the musk becomes more pronounced, reminding me a bit of Tamamo No Mae. but with honey. :P

dry down: a combination of honey, lilac and skin musk, this is a lovely summer-time scent.

in all: honestly, i don't get a post-coital orgasmic sense from this oil, but it is lovely and romantic none-the-less.

:D

This is a heady mix of ylang ylang with a touch of almond that morphs somehow into a quite natural, summery and very feminine skin scent on me. It reminds me a little of Black Phoenix mixed with 'O' in some respects. Lovely scent, anyway.

Edited by bites_the_sun

This smelled like soapy perfume in the bottle, and not much better on.

However, after a good 3-4 hours, it warmed up and became a much more pleasant scent. I kept catching whiffs of cherry, almost like dragon's blood (most scents tend to do this on me) with some vanilla and ylang-ylang.

It's a very pleasant scent now, 7 hours after I put it on. I find that most of the scents that smell soapy or overly church perfume-y on me are much much better after a few months, so I'm going to save this one and try it again. Hopefully that soap will go away and the lovely scent I'm smelling now will dominate.

Edited about a month later to say that the soap has indeed disappeared and this is a wonderful musky vanilla cherry scent now. Lovely.

Edited by OhioSky

In the vial: Sweet at first, then the impression of dry powder.

Wet: Mostly heady-sweet, but with a powdery top.

Twenty minutes: Very sweet, and the powdery effect has diminished somewhat. Still an edge of dryness behind, though, which is good because did I mention "very sweet"?

Two and a half hours: Still very sweet with some dryness. Needs a middle tone to round it out better.

Five hours: The dryness is gone; now it finally smells like its name.

I really wanted to love this one, but the two notes warred too much on me.

In the imp, I can smell the most delicious honey scent, with a hint of florals. Honey's my favorite note, so I was really excited to try this on. Once it's on my skin though, I smell like ROSE and myrrh- actually, very much like Rapture. The rose doesn't bother speaking softly, if just goes about beating the heck out of the other notes, with the myrrh slinking behind it, sniggering. This all sounds very unpleasant, and if this were another blend (say, Rapture), I wouldn't mind. It's just that this isn't what I was expecting or hoping for. After four or five hours, there's the very very faintest whiff of the honey, followed by the skin scent with rose, which is actually very pretty. The skin scent/rose combination doesn't last long either though, it gets overwhelmed by the rose resurgence. If the skin scent/rose combination were what La Petite Mort smelled like, or if the honey were stronger or heck, if the ylang ylang showed up, I'd be more for this. As it is, I think I'll stick with Rapture for rose and myrrh.

Imp: Sweet but incense-y.

Wet on Me: Very sweet. Not but sugar sweet.

Spicy sweet. Incense-y sweet

Drying Down: Heavy powder now. Sweet like

a baby powder and heavy.

Dry: Turned to powder and stayed there for me.

I’m sure it will be quite lovely for someone else. To be re-homed.

In Vial floraly floraly floral, Wet floraly floral, dry peachy musky floral smells sort of vintagey to me. First thought is it is pretty but not really very me. 1 hour soft powdery ylang ylang and when outside in the sun I get the musky myhrry spice which I really like. Maybe I just need to go outside more often. It is very pretty and girly.

Ok, I don't get the cross between O and Snake Oil at all on me. All I get is ylang ylang. Almost to a headache inducing point. Which is incredibly disappointing because I REALLY wanted to like this one. (I love O and Snake Oil, so I figured how could I go wrong?) Poo. :P

Dirty, slightly sour skin musk and not much else. :P Boy do I hope this morphs and soon! I love skin musk as a note in other blends, just not seeming to work here so far.