Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

La Petite Mort

Seduction, sensuality, the Act, and the aftermath all in one. The scent of warm, damp skin flushed with the glow of passion, touched by the luxuriant potency of ylang ylang and myrrh.

This is a deep, richer version of O. The vanilla note is gorgeous on my skin. My fiance claims to like this better than "O" but not as much as Snake Oil--whatever that means--

This has some serious staying power too! I dabbed a little bit on before going out last night, and I could still smell it this morning before I took a shower!

Sweet, sexy and long-lasting! :P Edited by Shollin

This turns into a sort of sickly-sweet candy scent on me rather, so rather than reminding me of any sort of afterglow, I think of being stuck in a candy shop while the fumes overwhelm my senses. Not necessarily a bad scent, but not one I'll get a large bottle of either.

This is a very strong, heady scent on me. It is predominantly floral, but with a bit of honey as well? The ylang ylang is probably the dominant note on me. It's sweet and sexy, and I can definitely see why it's called La Petite Mort! It kinda smells like afterglow and damp skin. It has a faintly candyish tang to it, as well. I like this one, but a little goes a long way.

A candyish tang sounds delicious! With that said, I got something completely different. There seemed to be two competing notes--something warm that smelled good on me (I'm guessing the myrrh), but there was also something faintly floral that upset the balance and did not smell good on me (the ylang ylang?). But, most BPAL florals (with the exception of BPAL violets and any floral that might be in Snow White) don't agree with me, so I guess it shouldn't have been too big of a surprise that this wouldn't work on me, although I'm still not completely sure what ylang ylang smells like.

At first this is all myrrh and honey on me. Yum. As it dries, the ylang ylang comes out. It's a gorgeous, sexy scent, but the ylang ylang is a bit too sweet for me. Yummy, but ultimately I prefer O as my lickable amazing sex scent.

I've been withholding a review on this, just because I haven't been sure what to say. This is a scent that makes almost no impression on me, for some reason. And I've worn it so often that the imp is already gone.

It's sweet and soft and that's...about all I get. I barely even thought to take notes on it like the other scents. What I've got...

In the imp: Hhm. Myrrh and a hint of sweetness- vanilla?

Dry 5 minutes: Almonds? Almonds and vanilla or honey. But that could be the ylang ylang because that wears really sweet on me.

Dry 1 hour: Huh. 'Warm and sweet' is all I've got written down.

It lasts ages (I could still catch it some ten hours later) but the throw isn't anything because I have no notes of Mr. Circe's reaction...not even a doodle of him with the question marks around his head. If I remember rightly, I had to get very close to smell it.

Frankly, I'm bewildered by myself and this scent. I liked it but it's nothing to write home about, I guess.

I've read comparisons to O in other reviews, but that's not what La Petite Mort is like on me. O is nothing like this for me -- O is honey and vanilla and sweetness. La Petite Mort is darker, I think the myrrh makes it sultry.

I was wearing Black Phoenix yesterday, and it reminds me of that one, except sweeter. And Black Phoenix is one of my favorites.

Definitely a keeper. I just wish it had Snake Oil's throw.

First Impression: Honey, lemon, amber.

Dries down to: A nice "golden glow" scent.

Additional Comments: I was way off on this one. I usually like ylang ylang blends and that holds true here. I'm still not familiar with myrrh, so I can't comment on its effect. This feels like a honey blend, but, since honey usually tends to really amp up and gag me, I'm very happy to use this one as a substitute.

Lasted: An hour or so.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Edited by arabella

i liked this in the imp more so than on my skin...it was a very close to the skin soft scent...then suddenly it amped up to something powdery and sweet that gave me a head ache...i wonder if it was the ylang ylang? it was good up till then.

Wow, the last few GC imps I've tried that I got with my last order have just blown me away with how damn good they are. I must admit I'm kinda a LE snob, I usually just feel like I like the blends better. I find that I don't write that many GC reviews because, though I have bazillions of imps, I just find myself going "Eh. Smells OK. Doesn't blow me away." And then piling the imp in the ever growing swap pile. But I digress. La Petite Mort is OMFG sexy. It's like even sexier than O which I dearly love. It is this delicious slinky ylang ylang concoction that has depth, sweetness, and is just mmmmmmm yes good. Ylang ylang is very very right on me usually, and this is no exception. Dang Beth anyway for parting me so easily with my hard earned money! I will have to get this, Alice, Skuld, and Bliss with my next loony order. It's really the indefinable "damp skin" element in this that truly makes it- what is it? It's absolutely sinful smelling though. I feel like this would be the scent that would truly attract men who didn't even realize what it was they were drawn to, you know? It's that sexy. For me a huge raving 5 out of 5.

Bottle: whew! sah-weeeeet.cherry! with the sweetness I'd almost suspect dragon's blood resin, except there is no rose-scent at all (and it's not red. bwaha).

Wet: sweet, almost maraschino, cherry with a hint of ylang ylang.

Dry: more incense-y with the myrrh stepping forward, but still rather sweet. less of the cherry-scent.

Later: the cherry is gone, and it's very incense-y, and the sweet has calmed considerably. Not sure if it's for me, but it's nice.

No sex with Mort (he's petite after all), but definitely skin and honey. This reminds me of warm oiled skin and I'm really happy to not be a' reekin' of someone else's sex - especially in my cleavage or something. I could see this one as Honeyed Skin with Baby Oil.

Being a big honey/amber fan, I've let this little frimp migrate into the no-swap zone.

In the bottle: Something a bit like bitter almond, and spicy ylang ylang.

Wet: Light musk warming up very fast, it smells quite oily at this stage. Myrrh starts to peek out slightly.

Drydown: A very slightly powdery light musk, myrrh and a striking skin scent, yum! It's slightly bitter and sweet at the same time. The ylang-ylang comes out slowly but strongly, sweet and really spicy, like honey and pepper. It ends up dominating the blend.

Overall: Spicy sex in a bottle. There's skin and honey and spice, the sweetness of ylang-ylang and the bitterness of myrrh. Yes, ylang-ylang is so spicy it tends to give me a sore throat, but it doesn't matter, it's delicious. Absolutely stunning representation of the afterglow, certainly something you'd want to smell of to seduce someone. I think I'll try layering it with Hellfire to get the ultimate sexy smell (and get rid of the powdery element a bit)...

Upon Receiving : Very powdery and sharp. Did not like initial scent while in vial but tried it on anyway.

First Time Wearing : Went very very powdery on me but wasn't too sharp or unpleasant, just powdery.

Next Time Wearing : (Approx. 1 month later) Scent is AMAZINGLY DIVINE! Not powdery at all. Very sexy and sultry. Damp and sexy like sweating lovers who have shared a smoke in a candle lit room with windows opened on a slightly breezy, humid summer night. Absolutely a favorite!

In the imp: Smells exactly like O, but with much less honey.

Wet, on skin: Starts smelling powdery.

Dry: Pure baby powder. I'll stick with my lovely O!

Edited by Merlu

This is gonna be a quick one, unfortunately. : (

In the bottle: Quite lovely, actually. It's sweet, and does bear a resemblance to O and Snake oil, but still is an entity of its own.

Wet on the skin: Baby powder. Straight up. Nothing else. It's quite dissappointing. Unfortunately, the scent stayed as such throughout the drying process, and never changed. When my roommate came home, the first thing she said was, "Wow, did you spill some baby powder or something?" Le sigh.

It's a shame, because I really like the way this smells in the bottle.

Well, a frimp it was, and a frimp it will be.

2/10 on me, but I've heard it's quite lovely on other people! I just need someone to send me their wrist in the mail so I can find out. ;p

Edited by columbus jones

In the imp: lots and lots of ylang ylang, very sweet.

On me, wet: Whoops, spilled most of the imp all over my hands. I feel like I am wearing ylang ylang fudge or something. Very sweet, with just a hint of musk.

On me, dry: Mrfle, it's dried to to a baby powder-and-sugar smell. There's something really rancid about this towards the edge of the throw - I kept trying to work out if it was something else in the vicinity that I was smelling, but, no, it's a rank, sweaty nastiness on the edge of the powder.

Verdict: Gah, no. I am, in fact, going to scrub what remains of this off my wrists now. Yick.

I’m trying this courtesy of the General Catalog swap. I’ve tried this before but it was a long time ago and didn’t have a good response to La Petit Mort, so I passed it along and didn't bother to review.

Initially, I smell honey, that same top note as I smelled in O. Roaring up behind the honey is ylang ylang. It’s a good combination and it smells a lot better than I remember. It’s grounded by the myrrh. As it wears it’s not changing much, from wet to dry. It is a good lesson to me in that even if you have a bad reaction/bad chemistry with an oil, it doesn’t hurt to give it a second chance. I’m liking this quite a bit which is a shocker to me because I can remember distinctly not liking this much at all.

I tried this at a Meet-n-sniff.

Oh.

My.

Gods.

With a bottle of this and the right shoes, a girl could rule the world. Something about the combination of ylang ylang and skin musk provoke this visceral, reptilian-brain reaction that says, 'You could have anyone you want. Go get 'em.' It leads to a certain sway of the hips, a certain predatory expression... I think the scent itself isn't necessarily what attracts people, it's the attendant rush of... Um, yeah. :P

So, needless to say, I want a bottle of it. I shall procure one as soon as I'm gainfully employed again.

La Petite Mort - I had high hoped for La Petit Mort, but probably because of the name. I couldn't distinguish any particular notes about it, but it was simultaneously sweet and warm, yet it had an acrid bite to it that prevented me from wearing it more than a couple times before I gave up on it. It has moderate staying power and a modicum of throw, but really, it's unpleasant and I'm glad I swapped it to someone who liked it more than I do.

Mmm. Le Petit Mort starts out smelling very much like discontinued B&BW aromatherapy lotion, Ylang Ylang and Myrrh. Heady, sweet flowers. It dries down and eventually loses that similarity and I smell something that I'd swear is Dragon's Blood. Then it gets a little powdery.

Not sure about this one. If it stayed the way it is wet I'd be tempted to get a big bottle. But it's getting more and more powdery as time goes on. Not liking it now...

The first time I opened my imp, I smelled nothing. Sniffing more deeply, I detected a very faint musk. Wet on my skin, there is a burst of nauseatingly sweet candy-smell, but as it dries down, this becomes kind of icky. Like sweat, but not sexy sweat. It is July in New Orleans; it's that kind of sweat. My skin chemistry doesn't like La Petite Mort.

I’ve never tried out a scent that turned into stale flowers and sweat on me before, but this one does. It morphs through several varieties of sweat-flowers-babypowder, but it never turns into anything I want to smell like. Long-lasting, and it does get better the longer I wear it . . . But Lord, it doesn’t start out good.

This isn't something that I would have ordered on my own, as the scent's description didn't really stand out to me. I like myrrh and ylang ylang is something I'm fairly indifferent to. But I got it as a frimp from the lab, so of course I had to try it.

Very nice. I had no idea the "flushed skin" scent could smell that good. I've read reviews describing it before, but it's really something you have to experience. It's primal and warm and just plain old pleasant. It's what dominates the scent for me. The ylang ylang gives it a high, sweet note, while the myrrh gives it some richness. I don't think I'll get a bottle, but I like my imp very much.