Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

La Petite Mort

Seduction, sensuality, the Act, and the aftermath all in one. The scent of warm, damp skin flushed with the glow of passion, touched by the luxuriant potency of ylang ylang and myrrh.

In Bottle: Sweet, like honey and vanilla with a very strange woody hollow incense note... maybe the myrrh.

This rounds out a little but stays pretty much the same as in the bottle. Instant FEH! :P

I found this one on my hunt for the sexy skin scent. It reminds me of Alice and Hecate together, both of which I like. Resiney goodness wet (Hecate) and deliciously creamy dry (Alice~but sexed up). DH said I smelled like "p@#$y and flowers"!

Edited by lookingglass

In the bottle: weirdly, in the bottle, this almost smells like the dry-down stage of Tiger Lily on me. Sweet and florally with an undercurrent of something sort of salty that I suspect is skin.

Wet: Huh. The sweet/floral hung around for a few minutes, and then it started to turn just a tiny bit musky, along with a faint sour note that was, at the same time, by no means unpleasant. Also started to get super-powdery for several minutes. Then, it started to smell like...Lubriderm? Lubriderm and baby powder and that faint sour note. Not sweet at all anymore, unless you count the powder, which is more of an irritant than anything else.

Drydown: Just like with Tiger Lily, the baby powder smell backed off during drydown, which is nice, because it doesn't make my nose itch anymore. I'm definitely smelling the ylang-ylang, and I assume the myrrh is what was going powdery on me since resins and woods tend to do that. I think maybe it's still there lending just a little bit of a rich spiciness. And I can definitely smell the skin, but it's not so much sexy skin as it is the scent of skin after a good workout. This scent does not make me think of sex at *all.* Also, it is very, very light on me - I think maybe it smells so *much* like skin that there's not much else to smell?

Y'know, it smells good, but I'm just not sure I like it enough to wear it much. It really does smell very similar on me to Tiger Lily, only I think I like Tiger Lily more.

This oil, along with Dorian, is the one I turn to for day-to-day wear, especially for the office. It's warm and sexy but since it stays close the skin, it's like my personal little cocoon. It is quite similar to O, but with the added lift of what I think is ylang ylang; that gives the O-like creaminess almost a "bright" feel to it.

This is a big bottle scent.

It has a promising beginning with that cherry-almond-arsenic scent. But then, oh dear, the ylang ylang taks over and it is all dead, wet leaves on me. Ylang ylang ruined Eve for me this way too. After an hour or so it is nice again, a gentle floral with enough sweet skin scent to convince me it is O's little sister. But too little, too late.

i was at an friend's house and sniffed her bottle of this, and then decided i needed to get an imp. the 'skin' note is wonderful in this for me. it's interesting that everyone makes comparisons to o, because i really did not like o (it smelled like hay dipped in honey on me), nor did i find it sexy, but la petite mort is definitely sexy. it smells like a very very subtle floral mixed with skin and pepper to me. i like it- definitely keeping my imp, and maybe a big bottle in the future.

Edited by theseagrows

La Petite Mort

freebie from the lab

in vial: a spicy-sweet blend of myrrh and ylang ylang

wet: myrrh is a bit overpowering

dry: nice blend of the two notes...lasts about 5 hours

verdict: nice...I'll use the imp but don't need a big bottle

I *heart* this scent!!! From bottle, to wet, to dry, all I smell is myrrh and ylang ylang. The ylang ylang creates somewhat of a cherry-almondish scent, which I always love. Very subtle, yet very sexy! YAYAYAYAY!!! Now I need a bottle!

Imp: Smells kinda of sweet almond and myrrh in the imp. Don't know why, as there's not almond in this.

Him:

Very baby powdery as soon as it hits his skin. It fades really fast too. On the order of 20 mins or so.

Me:

Wet: This is very powdery on my skin, too. But on me, its not just powder, there is also strong myrrh in this. It’s a ritualistic powder. Pretty, strong and heady. I think this really is a passionate smell. It's very mature for me, though.

1.5 hrs: This is mostly wonderful amber powder on me, with a ritualistic kick from the myrrh. This is very pretty, has great throw and great lasting power.

3 hrs: This is growing on me. It feels far less "too mature" --It's beautiful. Still not me, but lovely. Late in the drydown, this takes on an almost vanilla creaminess. Mmmmm….Reminds me a bit of O, but not as sweet. Still, this late dry down phase seems mostly powdery amber with a bit of vanilla. Very similar. Lovely.

Overall: On me, this is still pumping after 5 hrs--Amazing staying power (funny that on him it had nil). As the scent matured, it really grew on me. Hehe. Now I wish I still had my O imp to compare. And my Dragon's milk too, for that matter. Mental note to collect all three at some point in time. Lovely scent, would consider it as a bottle. Try this!

Edited by jewelbug

Yes, yes, YES! Very lovely, very sexy. I agree that it smells a little sweet and honeyed. It's a little saucy but clean, and very warm. Definitely a golden, radiant glow of a scent. This is actually how I wanted Penitence to smell, oddly enough! It's graceful, sensual, and very awesome.

I think I detect a little bit of soapiness, but I don't care. It's less soapy than most smells go on me, and it just smells too darn nice. I really wish I could make a bubble bath or shower gel out of this. Mm mm!

Love the ylang ylang, but with the myrrh this isn't one on me to make me stand up and cheer. I like it, and I would definitely use it in the right circumstances, but it's not enough of a winner on me to inspire me to obtain more than the imp I have.

Smells like almond (which in actuality is maybe the ylang ylang merging with a musk?) and an undercurrent of myrrh. Woodiness and that sort of dirty smell that is indeed very O-like. Probably a little bit of honey and maybe a small bit of vanilla or vanilla-like scent. As it dries down, there is more woodiness and ylang-ylang, less sweetness and almond-scent.

Odd because the woodiness makes it sort of grounded and dry at the same time that it's got that dirty-O smell. Overall this gives me a faint impression of something else odd, a little mushroomy, almost--which sounds gross, but it's not entirely gross--something a little earthy, or like savory food cooking. It's very interesting and I wish I could place it.

I also might detect a tiny little bit of soap, it almost reminds me of a laundry detergent that is not your normal detergent scent but which I don't know the name of. It's very minimal though.

Not at all bad, but it doesn't speak to me. It has that sex scent, but its other components come off rather odd so overall I prefer O. On my scale, a 3 out of 5.

Edited by Undine

I so want to like this... I want to own a bottle of perfume called La Petite Mort.

First on: Wow, this is spicy. It actually smells very peppery andn savory on me. It's not like O on me at all; it's lacking all of O's creamy sweetness. This smells like seasoning that I would want to put on a steak.

In the drydown, this smells 'off' on me. Sometimes I think that I smell something rotten, and then I realize that it's the La Petite Mort. It goes from smelling peppery and making me crave a steak... to smelling rotten and a bit dirty. I never really get any sweetness from it. It's just... strange.

ETA: Recent versions of this just smell like baby powder and dust on my skin. Not really an improvement, but not as odd.

Edited by Little Bird

Imp: smells like O with the spiciness of Snake Oil...I too smell almonds, with perhaps a bit of musk as well?

Wet: Hmm, now there's something vaguely floral, heck if I know what it is, but the scent gets 'louder' as it dries...

Drydown: There's a smidgeon of soap, and a deeper sweetness...don't really know how to describe it.

Overall: Haunted's younger - and innocent, while still being completely licentious - cousin.

Oro

Edited by Orodemniades

In the imp: Myrrh, almonds, and honey? Smells promising. I love myrrh, although honey can go either way on me and almonds generally turn to plastic on my skin.

On: Oh holy shit...it's floral. I remember that there's ylang ylang in this blend and it's totally pulling a jasmine and turning my skin to diaper-smell. Ugh. I'm reminded why I hate, hate, hate florals. Everything floral smells like powder and diaper on me. But there's a soft sweetness in the backround that keeps me from running and washing it off like I have with other floral blends. Maybe red musk? Or skin musk? It's reminiscent of Spellbound and Bengal in that sense.

Drydown: Honeyed musk with a touch of myrrh and still-raging ylang ylang, although it's all blended a bit better now. I do like this stage, it's wearable for me. But it's not a "me" scent. So now that I've tried the BPAL Sex Scent Trinity I can safely say that this and O were not winners for me, whereas Snake Oil took the first place trophy of sexiness with flying colors. Oh well!

In the vial: There's something honey-sweet about this one. I also detect a note of marzipan almond.

Wet: First whiff called to mind that liquid soap that they put in the industrial dispensers. It's the bright translucent pink variety that they used to keep in the bathrooms at my elementary school, and I like how it smells, but wasn't expecting that from this at all.

Drydown: I'm still getting the industrial soap smell.

Dry: Oh no. Baby powder and industrial soap. I had such high hopes for this one, too.

ETA, 1/23/06: Still honey-almond-sweet, inside-of-a-Lush-shop fragrant. Baby powder turned up for a bit but went away, so that's a nice improvement after a month. Warm and sexy, a bit sharper because of the ylang ylang (probably). May consider keeping this one, now.

Rating: For how it turned out on me, 2.25. It's too bad, because I kind of liked the idea of the scent, if you know what I mean. :P 3.25.

Edited by rabid hauteur

In Bottle: A lot like O which I love.

On Skin: Honey and baby powder. This is beautiful!! Yum!! It isn't as sweet as O or as spicy as Snake Oil, but I can see how they are in the same "family" and many people have compared them. It's a little more powdery than O, but less so than Snake Oil. It's also quite a bit lighter. There is a slight floral but nothing that I don't like. I hope this has staying power because I think I need a bottle. A very warm scent that is also quite sexy.

Edited by slave1

In the imp: Musk and depth, beautiful. Somewhere behind is the vanilla.

On me wet: Like Mata Hari without all the spices. Plasticy vanilla and musky vanilla combined. A little dirty but not badly so.

On me dry: Dirty musk, I have no clue why the vanilla didn't last quite so long. Myrrh must be something my skin amps, because that's ALL I can smell now.

Category: Spicy/Vanilla/Sex

Rating: 3/5, Nice, not for me

Overall: Overall it's an okay scent, but not necessarily special to my nose. I would like it more if it was a softer scent and there was less myrrh. I understand why so many people like this scent, it does seem quite sexy.

I got this imp in my first bpal order and and when I first opened it I thought "oh no!" the smell was just overpoweringly bad for some reason.

I was sitting at my desk tonight and something told me to just give it another little sniff and amazingly, I thought "this smells great!"

I now really believe that the time of the month does have an effect on your skin chemistry.

anyway, I don't really know what myrrh smells like per se, so the first thing I got from this was tangy almonds. I'm loving it wet.

On drydown it starts to go powdery but not in an all together bad way, but it does remind me of my grandma a little bit. not sexy.

I can still smell almonds, and after reading someone else's review, I smell cherries too.

I think I'll try the imp a few more times, but I wish it would stay sharp the whole wear.

I wasn't sure about this at first. In the bottle, it smelled like it had gone off or something - like bad sweat. I put on a tiny bit and it first smelled like musky skin and honey - a good combination. After a couple hours, it turned to baby powder, which was actually turning my stomach. Later in the day, it went back to honey, though nothing but honey. I'll definitely have to give it another try to see if maybe I can't work past the powder phase. Otherwise, it's quite an enticing scent.

i knew i would love this one. on my skin it smells just like O – like sex and baby powder and honey – but with the added bonus of sexy, jasmine-like ylang ylang. gorgeous.

This starts out smelling like the almond note in #20 Love Oil, but then dries to smell like a deeper version of O. Sort of an almond, honey, and amber meets Myrhh blend.

Very pretty. Both #20 Love Oil and O both went a little iffy on me, but this is a good mix of the 2 on me. The things I didn't like about O aren't there in this. I might have to get a bottle. This is very sexy

Just applied: Almonds. It reminds me of Jergens' original lotion scent, which was cherry-almondish. I'm not a huge fan of almonds, but I'm willing to see how it develops.

Later: Oh, it morphed nicely! Now I'm getting the skin scent with a little light honey-floral note floating over it. It definitely stays close to the wearer; except for the occasional little whiff, I have to stick my nose right up to my wrist to detect it. This isn't exactly sexy in that "I'm floating in a cloud of irresistible perfume" way, but it's seductive nonetheless -- anyone else sniffing it would have to do so at very close range. :P Now if only I had someone to test its effect on...

I bought an imp of this from a friend, and when I first smelled it, I thought it was OK enough to keep the imp, but haven't worn it a whole lot. Wearing it today however, it strikes me how lovely it smells... all vanilla-y and warm. It's definitely similar to O, but with amped up vanilla rather than honey, and with an earthier undertone. Even mom commented that I smell great when I gave her a hug. J says it has a sweet side to it, but it is also sophisticated. His review: "I like it." Boys are great. :P