Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Bliss

A shot of pure, self-indulgent euphoria! A scent that is very, very wicked in its own way: the serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate.

Frimp from the lab in my first order (in which I bought imps of Gluttony and Vice. The lab is smart, I tell you.)

Imp: Holy cocoa, Batman!

Wet: Cocoa!

Dry: If you said, "cocoa," you'd be right. My SO kept finding excuses to sniff my wrist.

Mmmm. Cocoa.

I smelled like a candy bar. And I totally agree about the lasting power. it lasts and lasts.

Bottle: Cocoa

Wet: Wow, that's rich chocolate! Maybe a hint of hazelnut. It's so rich and creamy, like really good expensive chocolate.

Drydown: This is so incredibly foody in the best way possible! Reminds me of Nutella! I want to eat my arm!

4.0 outta 5

I definitely perceive this as MILK chocolate and not dark chocolate or cocoa. In the imp and when freshly applied, it's a very true milk chocolate scent. Nice. However, as it dries it goes a little sour with my skin chemistry, like most BPAL chocolates tend to do (at least the ones that don't have cocoa absolute, which behaves itself a little better on me). With my chemistry, it reminds me of an Easter egg that has melted in the sun - that slightly sour, sugar-overloaded smell of the cheap chocolate you eat when you're a kid. It's not bad, but not as good as I want it to be.

Even if it had worked on me, the pure-foody scents aren't really my style - I need some resins, woods or musk to make things interesting. I'm debating whether to keep this imp for layering purposes, but will probably swap it away.

Delicious, rich homemade hot cocoa through and through....NOT the powdered stuff, but the kind you make on the stovetop with milk and baking chocolate. A little smoky on me dry, but not unpleasantly so. Chocolate is one of my very favorite substances, and I'd be hard-pressed to choose between the many mouth-watering varieties BPAL has to offer :P

ETA: Make that homemade hot cocoa with a dozen Hershey's Kisses thrown in. Next order will include a BIG bottle! Very aptly named.

Edited by voodoocat

I sniffed some Bliss tonight at Whole Foods: Divine in the imp! But I only have two wrists, so I limited myself to fragrances I was considering buying. And Bliss is too specialized for my first BPAL!

It smelled to me like Chantico, this rich, intense drinking chocolate that Starbucks sold briefly. It was served in a little six ounce cup, which was the perfect size. It was that pure.

I cannot WAIT to try on some Bliss; it's a definite for my next trip. :P

Bliss

In the Bottle:

Chocolate, but there also seems to be some sort of sickly sweet scent in the background. Perhaps caramel, but I wouldn't stake my life on it. The chocolate is definitely a sugar jolted milk chocolate.

On the Skin:

Same as in bottle, surprisingly.

Two Hours Later:

Milk chocolate still but a bit more mellow, the sickly sweet note died down, so it isn't bad at all. Not something

Four Hours Later:

Non-existential, completely gone - it doesn't have staying power at all.

Verdict:

Not something I would buy a bottle of, but I might as well use the imp on something. Maybe as a room scent or in a candle. Otherwise it isn't an oil I would wear in daily life, or even going out.

Yummy, YUMMY!

This smells exactly like S'mores Pop Tarts! And makes me crave a nice big chunk of milk chocolate like crazy! And the smell lasts almost all day too. :P Sooo glad I got a 5mL of this!

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet! I must have owned this for near a year now.. and I love it so dearly. It smells like I went into a fancy chocolate factory and dipped my wrist in a vat of melted milk chocolate. I am a foody.. very much so.. and this blend it just.. intoxicating. I also can't believe I haven't bought a large bottle.. or three of this yet.. as I sort of want to bathe in it.. literally. If you are a foody.. or think you might be.. get this one.. it is a slice of heaven in a bottle.

I have a full bottle of this and unfortunately I'm going to have to trade it. Although it smells divine in the bottle, and rather gorgeous on skin too, it almost instantly faded on me. Perhaps that's just my skin type though..?

:P

I remember way back in the day when I discovered BPAL, and I got a good giggle that "Bliss" was a chocolate scent...and then I never got around to trying it. Well, I finally have an imp and I'm pleased about it--'tis the season for hot chocolate, after all! I'm surprised the color is pale; I thought it might be chocolate colored.

Wow, that's pure cocoa all right--like huffing a box of Hershey's baking chocolate! :D This is the perfect pure chocolate scent for layering, and also great alone for the addicts. :D I'll have to see if it helps control cravings or exacerbates them. :P

I got this in my most recent order of imps. I have tried 3 of the ones I ordered so far, and all 3 are winners :P

In the imp: Nutella chocolate spread

On: mmmmm, I smell so.. tasty! It is literally just like Milk chocolate, its lost its nutty edge and has just turned into tasty chocolate.

Fades quite fast on me though :D

There's not really anything else I can add, its just yummy foody milk chocolate.

Edited by NatCatz

Cocoa, dry dutch cocoa in the imp. On it is brownie batter, no doubt. Throw is light, but wear is long. This will be nice for layering (over Snake Oil, anyone?), but I don't think I will have any occasion to wear it alone.

In the vial - Rich, smooth, comforting chocolate, and nothing but!

Wet on the skin - I'd agree with those who have compared this blend to a single note - I smell chocolate, and chocolate alone. That's not a bad thing, of course :P

Next stages - I believe there may be a hint of hazelnut peeping out from the gorgeous gooey mass of chocolate...

Dry down - Once more; a sweet and luscious, creamy scent. The hazelnut, if it was really there in the first place, has been submerged under the lovely melting chocolate note.

Similar scents - The closest chocolate note is probably Gluttony; it's a good deal lighter and smoother than Tezcatlipoca or El Dia de Reyes.

this is *so* interesting! after having smelled several blends with cocoa absolute in them, it really becomes clear that this is MILK chocolate and not something darker.

in the imp: i wholeheartedly agree with the Nutella claim that some people have noted. chocolate with a hazelnut undernote. mmm

wet on skin: more of the same, warm, rich chocolatey goodness :P

dry down: incredible throw! my BF said he could smell it WHILE he was in the next room- in the shower! the chocolate goes a bit 'scratch n sniff' on me for a time, but then mellows into a smell that i can only describe as 'if people's body smell were chocolate, this would be it'.

in all: MUST HAVE BIG BOTTLE.

:D

Oh my gosh!

*swoon*

New top 10 favorite.

In the imp: Hershey's kisses. I actually don't like HErshey's kisses.

Wet: The same, but deepening.

Dry: Rich, beautiful, milk chocolate. IT doesn't smell too sweet or artificial. IT smells like good milk chocolate melted across my wrist.

Super super happy with this, and cannot wait to order 5mL.

This is by far, my favorite chocolate blend EVER!! It smells just like a Hershey chocolate bar.

Random aside, I love putting it on after lathering myself with Villainess's Gloop Whipped.

This is quite the accurate description!

In the vial: mmm, smells like a cup of hot cocoa, nice and choco-licious though I don't get a 'wicked' vibe.

On wet: Hm, the first thing that comes to my mind is Cocoa Puffs! Not a bad smell, but I can detect that almost 'grain' note like in a cereal.

Dry: Now it's pure chocolate again with just a faint powdery hint on my skin, it has some staying power and a little goes a long way, I can smell my wrists from down by the keyboard!

This scent is lovely for all of us chocolate addicts, but now I feel like I need to eat some brownies! Overall it's a beautiful and accurate food scent, and I think I'd like it the best in the bath because smelling like chocolate all day makes me feel a little too young (and hungry) and its so luxuriant! A nice long soak in this (especially with PMS) would be like going to heaven.

I give it a 3.75/5, again a beautiful scent but very potent!

In the imp - chocolate, but a little funky.

On my skin - oooh chocolate!! Like a warm melty brownie, yum! :P

Don't know if I'll want to wear this one all the time, but I can see it being great every once in a while.

*wanders off to find some chocolate*

I can't believe I haven't posted a review of this already! This is only my favorite BPAL ever!

In bottle this smells like brownies. Brownies, brownies brownies! And not just any brownies, but my mom's brownies.

Wet: Whoa! Hello! This is all the chocolate in the entire world concentrated on my wrist.

Dry down: Oh, heaven and perfection! This is warm, honest, comfortable, sensual, gooey (it's my review!), and utterly surprising considering how little I love chocolate. This smells makes me feel like the cute, secretly sexy mom-next-door. A total MILF.

In bottle/imp: Silky, creamy, and slightly powdery milk chocolate.

Immediately on skin: One of my favorite scents is El Dia de Reyes, and this smells like that without the cinnamon and coffee. It’s sweet and creamy chocolate with a slightly powdery feel, like really good powdered cocoa.

After a little while: This turns dry and powdery on me pretty quickly. It still smells of chocolate, but it’s no longer as rich and creamy on me.

Overall Impressions: This is a nice chocolate scent, but I wish that it had stayed the same rich, creamy chocolate scent it was when I first put it on. I can see why this one gets a lot of love, and I’d consider trying this out in a scent locket for sure.

Source: Frimp from the lab

This is a milky, creamy chocolate that, if you like foody scents, is pure heaven! Unlike The Candy Butcher, which is dark chocolate, this has the milk chocolate smell of Hershey's kisses or brownies.

On my skin, it seems to have average throw and below average wear length; if I want it to last, I have to slather a bit on. It's yummy, and I'll eventually be getting a 5ml bottle!

So soooooooooooooooooo sad... :D

I received an imp of this.

In the vial it smells DEVINE.. sweet milky rich Chocolate, just like Cadburrys Double-Cream..

On my skin this turns into rotten milk, and awfull Chocolate-Yoghurt-Sour-Yuck!-Scent... :D

Strange, but my skin always turns chocolate into something sour-rotten.

Very sad -

but definetly keep the imp but will NEVER EVER wear it... :P

Oh well..