Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Bliss

A shot of pure, self-indulgent euphoria! A scent that is very, very wicked in its own way: the serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate.

To me this smells like cocoa when I wear it. Mmm, it's delicious, and a soft scent. Yet it's a scent that stays around for hours, and even on a really hot day (the first time I tested it), I could smell cocoa when I got home at night after being stuck all afternoon in a non-airconditioned place. Yummy, sweet and light!

To sum up Bliss in four words, I'd have to say this is death by chocolate, bottled. It’s actually quite refreshing not to have the complexity of Hellcat or Gluttony or Grog in this one, but just pure, unadulterated chocolate. I like it fine, though it's a bit too sweet for my taste, and my dog keeps trying to lick me. I'm sure that it would make a nice room scent if you wanted your house to smell like you've just baked.

For all you Harry Potter fans out there, I'm sure this scent would make Remus Lupin proud. 7/10.

This is milk chocolate. In the imp, on me, wet, and dry. But not just any milk chocolate. It's really good MOLTEN milk chocolate. It wafts. Oh, it wafts. Simply, absolutely incredible. A warning: it will make you hungry for chocolate.

When I layer Bliss with Velvet, I am in happy chocolate-perfume heaven. Yum!

This is without a doubt the best chocolate scent I've ever come across. Most chocolate scents smell off, like chocolate after it's melted and solidified a few times, when it's developed that waxy coating. This smells like melted milk chocolate with a hint of baker's chocolate, still hot.

It's the chocolate scent that makes me wish I liked the smell of chocolate.

The straight scent of chocolate is a bit much for me, but I think this would be marvelous layered with something - not necessarily something fruity, but something nutty, maybe even coconut. (I'm suddenly craving Almond Joy.)

The throw is also awesome - and I mean that in the literal sense of the term. It's as strong when my wrist is as far away from my nose as I can manage without actually chopping my arm off as it is when my nose is right against my skin, and it lasts forever.

Overall, I couldn't see this as an every day scent, but I can understand why some people would consider it the best sort of therapeutic scent. It's just a bit overwhelming for me.

In the imp: This is warm chocolate fudge. Sweet, creamy and rich.

Wet: There is more than just chocolate. Call me crazy, but I think I may be picking up a hint of sandalwood?

Dry: Bliss is chocolate, but strangely, it loses its purely foody note early on. This is decadent, and definitely chocolatey, but it is no longer gooey and sticky. It has a sophisticated edge, and I definitely pick up a little sandalwood. It has remarkable staying power, too!

In the vial: raw chocolate

On the skin: Milk chocolate, almost like the smell of when you're making chocolate chip cookies and you smell the dough that you just dumped the chocolate chips into. It's a single note in most repsects, but I still smell cookies.

Delicious! Yay Beth!

I've heard of chocolate decadence and chocolate Bliss is more of the same. I couldn't see wearing this as a perfume, but liked the idea that a lot of people use Bliss to layer with other scents.

Chocolate Milk... pure and simple. Straight shot. The "I-want-to-be-naughty-and-blow-bubbles-in-it" type of chocolate milk.

Clean, semi-sweet cocoa scent with a dollop of cream. :P

I asked DH to sniff it and asked him what he thought it was... his answer, "Hmmm... yummy... vanilla!" :D :D

** forgot to wash this off last night and awoke with my wrist still pressed to my nose and sniffing it's chocolate-y goodness. As with most BPAL scents it hasn't faded completely in more than 16 hours, it's just a toned down version. Now, it just smells like faint chocolate cake mix. Still chocolicious! :D

Bliss- I don't usually wear bakery scents and especially not chocolate. But this gets such rave reviews that I decided to buy an imp and check it out. It's definitely the most authentically chocolate of any chocolate fragrances I've experienced (whether in perfume, shampoo, body wash, etc. form) But I couldn't fathom the idea of putting it on my skin and smelling like it. Like I said, I'm just not much of a bakery scent girl. But this morning, I got the bright idea to mix it with Strawberry Moon, and VOILA! Chocolate-covered strawberries! And it smelled sooo good! So then I experimented with mixing it with Bon Vivant, and VOILA! again! Chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne! I've been told it blends amazingly well with Lick It! and Swank, both of which are on their way to me, and if that's the case, then while I probably won't ever buy a full bottle, I may always keep an imp on hand for those times when I want a change of pace and want to ramp up one of the scents I already use and adore. For its versatility when it comes to blending, I'm awarding Bliss more points than I would just on its own.

Yay! I thought my skin had swallowed this scent whole since I was fooling around testing out some sniffies in the laundromat, but it was just because I was so warm in there. I won't make that mistake again. It's still on me hours later, and it's this lovely creamy hot chocolate scent. And I mean good hot chocolate, made with whole milk and plenty of expensive cocoa mix.

I don't think I need a full bottle of this, but I would like to have an imp for those times when I could use a nice cozy comfort scent after a hard day.

In the vial: Pure milk chocolate.

On me: Pure milk chocolate! Yum!

Verdict: It smells yummy on me, but I likely will use this either as a layering scent or just not wear it too frequently. As much as I love chocolate, I don't think I want to smell like it all the time.

Rating: 3/5

In the imp - Ooh, I like. Sweet but maybe with a touch of spice or hazelnut. It reminds me of Philosophy's Marshmallow Mousse that has a cocoa scent to it. I think this would layer very nicely with that.

Wet - It's still a rich chocolaty scent that doesn't cross the border into plastic, harsh or artificial. Just a lot of chocolate!

Dry - Still a rich, real chocolate. Fudgy, dark chocolate. When I was a kid, I used to make chocolate popsicles by freezing chocolate milk (from powdered Quik and milk), and during the freezing, the chocolate milk would settle a bit so that the bottom of the frozen mix was very chocolaty and dark, and the top was much milder and milkier. This smells like the bottom, richer part.

Like many others have said, this is a good pick-me-up scent, but not necessarily something I want to walk around smelling like! Haven't tried layering with any other scents yet.

In the imp: As they said in Rome, the thing is what it is. As just about everyone else has said, this is milk chocolate.

Wet: This stars out like Velvet, which is one of those scents that I was "meh" about at first, but that I like the more I think about it.

Drydown and wear: I don't know if anyone else is familiar with the perfumes done by Comptoir Sud Pacifique, but they used a lot of cocoa, vanilla and fruit notes (they were one of my favorite perfumers before I discovered BPAL). Bliss is a dead ringer for their cocoa notes. I like Velvet better, but I will keep this imp, and try layering it as others have suggested.

Source: Imp

Bottle: Mmmmmmmm. Chocolate. *drool* I love chocolate, I love it, I love it, I love it, and this is really nice cocoa; it smells a bit more bitter than the cocoa from Godiva, but there’s an odd spicy note to it. Yum.

Wet: Yikes. It was really strong with only a couple drops, but it still smelled wonderful. Still cocoa, though the sweetness of the milk part is coming through. Milk chocolate has a very specific smell to me and as it starts drying on my skin, it smells more and more like it.

Drydown: OMG. This is so delicious I could cry! I’ve never smelled something that’s so reminiscent of chocolate on my skin before! I’ve tried so many chocolate-scented products and none of them have come close to this; it makes me all giddy when I smell it. I kept sniffing my wrist like maybe I was making really rich, fudgy brownies and I missed cleaning a spot.

Dry: This stuff has staying power and throwing power. Five hours later, I can still smell it wafting up to my nose. And there’s now a kind of dark warmth to it. I LOVE IT.

Overall: Am going to get a 5ml for sure. I’ve never had chocolate that actually smelled good on me yet!

In the imp: a melted nutty cheap chocolate bar. mrf.

On me, wet: oh, that's better - the chocolate went up a few grades in quality on my skin. It still smells a bit oversweetened, though.

On me, dry: at school, we used to melt caramel-and-chocolate bars on the radiators, inside their foil wrappers, and then eat the gooey contents. This smells like those tasted - cheapish, sweet, sticky, warm, full of calories.

Verdict: maybe I shouldn't have tested this during the height of the heatwave - it's too sugary-sweet for me right now. The SO likes it a lot, though, and he normally dislikes BPAL chocolate scents. Weird. Guess I'll hang on to it and try it again in cooler weather.

Ah, Bliss certainly lives up to it's name! In the bottle, it's pure chocolate-y goodness. On my wrist, it becomes the wonderfullness that is slighty-sticky, gooey, brownies, hot from the oven.

In fact, the back of my wrist *still* smells like nummy brownies today - I tested it last night before hitting the pool, and scrubbed my wrists pretty good this morning in the shower. :P

I think there's a 5ml of this in my future!

Maybe it was just my batch, but my Bliss smells like chocolate peanutbutter. It's oddly salty. I didn't get the smoothness that I expected of "milk chocolate." I mean, it's nice, but not what I was hoping for. :P

Bliss is WONDERFUL. In the imp and on my skin it was pure chocolate. I couldn't smell anything else, it didn't turn or anything. It was delicious, and was pretty strong too. I could smell it for hours and hours after I'd initially applied it. I'm so glad I have a 5 ml on its way!

Absolutely chocolate, but I don't quite get milk chocolate from it: there a bit of a dry/powdery feel to my nose, more like Quik than a chocolate bar. It's a fairly unobtrusive scent, but a little too simple for me. I prefer richer, darker chocolate.

A very short review since there are only few foody scents that my skin chemistry doesn't screw up..

At the beginning it smells of hot chocolate which quickly turns to chocolate cake. Five minutes later it's burnt plastic- that's it :P No chocolate for me.

This is WONDERFUL. I haven't had any plain milk chocolate for a long time, but every time I wear Bliss, I feel like I have. Today, I put some in the chunk of hair that always falls across my face, and it kept me very happy all morning. I'm going to need gallons of this. It lasted from my application at 7 a.m. to at least 1 p.m.

Mmmmm...yes, this is just pure lovely chocolate. I was a bit wary of trying this one because some of the other chocolate scents from the lab really haven't worked well on me at all, turning bitter or plastic on my skin. But this is perfect. The only downside is that it faded pretty quickly on my skin. 4/5