Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Heart

A scent pulsing with vitality, warmth and insurmountable strength: dragon's blood resin, red and black musks, a throb of fig and a sliver of black currant.

In my Dragon's Blood blend experiments, I'm finding that my skin loves to amp up the warmth of the dragon's blood and the floral notes.

In the bottle, smells a little too incensey for me, but not as bad as I thought the first time around.
It starts out really floral, like most of the dragon's blood scents on me, but luckily it's a scent I love. The musks are there as well, which I think help to tone down the florals and keep them from getting too headachey for me.

Oh hi fig! Where did you come from? It's taken a bit to come out, but it's there. Oh I hope it sticks around for a while. It adds a earthy fruitness to the scent.

I can't decide whether I like this one better than Dragon's Musk or not. I'm going to have to test them closer to each other later, after I get through the rest of this. I'm really digging the fig in this though. Definitely prefering it to Dragon's Milk at the moment.

In the imp: yup, that's dragon's blood all right. I'm getting a hint of something fruity, too.

On me, wet: the fruit's really starting to come out, though the dragon's blood is definitely still dominant. I think I smell currant, which lines up with the note description.

On me, dry: dragon's blood and rich juicy fruits. Doesn't smell particularly musky to my nose, but maybe that's just because the other notes are so strong on me!

Throw and duration: both excellent. I think this lasted about 12 hours on my skin.

Overall: dragon's blood always makes me think of my mom, and this blend is no exception. See, she used to make incense a lot when I was little, and she used dragon's blood as a component pretty frequently. It's sort of a weird association, because I also find a lot of dragon's blood blends to be kinda... sexy... and let's face it, it's weird to feel sexy AND think of your mom at the same time.

Dragon's Heart isn't sexy on me. It's actually appropriate for a scent that makes me think of my mom. It's cozy. It's like a big blanket of love. It makes me want to curl up under a blanket and take a nap in the very best of ways. It's got all the incense-y delightful warmth of dragon's blood with an edge of sweetness from the fruit.

I really, really like this one. If you're into dragon's blood and fruit... give this a try. It's beautiful.

On me, Dragon's Heart is just dragon's blood resin (plumeria on me) and musk. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it's like a weaker version of Dragon's Musk. I hope age will bring out the other notes or I'll have to pass it on.

Sort of musky and dusty... I'm not sure I like it. I'll let my bf try it and see what he says, but it reminds me of dry, crumbling leaves and dusty stone caves. it feels sort of warm and dry and cool, I don't know how to explain it. It gives me a slight headache, though not like lavender or anything. It's a good scent, just not for me. Maybe for the boyfriend...

Initial impression:

I get a lot of the black/red musk, but not much else.

First on:

Woah, heavy stuff. Black musk, blackcurrant, and dragon's blood. There might be a faint touch of fig there, too.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it's heavy on the musk, but I don't get much else. It's a dry, dark musk. After an hour and a half, it's a resinous musk with a touch of blackcurrant. Despite the initial throw on me, it fades quickly later in the drydown.

Finally:

Aww, swapping this... Great to try, though!

I was a bit disappinted with Dragon's Hide but Dragon's Heart is a whole different story!

Imp: the first impression is very flowery, with a metallic and resinous background - slightly verging on Chinese soap!

Wet: oh hello musks and fig, where where you hiding? Now the spiceness is comung out without the actual spices. The Chinese soap has luckily gone!!

Dry: sweet, powdery and sticky. Very musky, but not aggressve.

I really liked this one, it's yummy and sexy and it LASTED nearly 5 hours!!! It's a record for me!!!

Dragon's Heart

This is the second of my Dragon's Blood exploration, and it's utterly unlike the first (Tanin'iver). Dragon's Heart started of so strong and deep -- really just like the description. I even saw the black current flutter by, just briefly. Then, maybe an hour in, I notice this...generic perfume smell. Huh? What's that? It's lilac, is what that is. Straight lilac, with nothing held back. And lilac it stayed the rest of the day. Ack. I see other people get lilac from DB sometimes, so apparently that's what happened. It really started off to do something interesting, though. Sigh.

I'm so glad that I kept trying different oils. I think I've found my signature scent. Dragon's Heart is warm, dark, and sensual. I was nervous about the fig, thinking it would be sticky sweet. There is a sweetness but it's not at all sugary or sappy. There's a nice, light spice to it as well. Mmm. I could inhale this all day. Delicious.

There’s definitely musk accenting the spicy dragon’s blood, but I think it’s mostly black musk. I’m just not picking up any red musk, which is usually so bold and unmistakable. I don’t notice any currant or fig either, so maybe my nose is broken tonight. But the dragon’s blood and black musk are a fine combination on their own. It’s a sweet, exotic, and very warm.

Muuuuuuusk~ And dragon's blood. There's something else, but I'm too distracted by the musk to pick it out. These musks always morph into something that's just....sex on my skin. So...I'm happy. Yep. There's a hint of something slightly bitter? Sharp? I'm not sure. Kind of a metallic smell. Fig? I don't know, but I like it. Not as much as dragon's musk though.

Imp: Fig, dragon's blood and the dread pirate black musk (we have a tempermental relationship. It's like Wuthering Heights).

Wet: Dragon's blood and red musk. The red musk amps up right away and covers all the other scents. After a few moments it calms down and I can smell the sweetness of the fig and a touch of the currant underneath. The black musk is there but it's a bit separate from the rest of the scent.

Dry: OMFG. A: This reminds me a lot of Snake Oil. I really like the savoury/medicinal aspect of the Snake Oil drydown and I always thought it was vetiver but maybe it's a red/black musk combo? I really like this. Sweet dragon's blood and red musk with the sultry sweetness of fig, a bit of tart from the currant and a savoury bite from the black musk. I love this. It is extremely sexy and powerful. The oil itself is unisex but once it's on my skin I think it acquires a sort of unmistakably feminine quality. Probably the same holds true for male skin.

Throw: Excellent.

Overall: I was not expecting to be as wowed by Dragon's Heart as I was. The black musk made it so iffy to me and it was near the bottom of my Ars Draconis wishes. I'm so very glad I had the opportunity to try it because it is GORGEOUS and needs more love. If you like Snake Oil fresh I'm not going to promise you'll like Dragon's Heart, but it might be a very good scent to try.

My favorite of the dragon's blends.

The perfect combination and use of dragon's blood's strong sap, with powerful musks and a little slightly-sweet fruit on the vine.

bottle

This was all dragon's blood and red musk on me. I didn't get much in the way of the other notes here, which is unfortunate. I liked it well enough, but I prefer other red musk blends to this one.

Women know that there's more than one way to feel sexy. Not only lingerie or the leather, but there's a certain sexiness when you feel comfortable as well. Dragon's Heart to me is like putting on a purple cashmere sweater and feeling sexy it in.

It started out with the traditional cherry/almond dragon's blood scent on me. But then it morphed into a beautiful insency musky fruit. It's delightful and warm. The fruit isn't OMFG fruit, but a note that makes you know that its a bit rounder and has some depth.

I love this one.

For the first few minutes of wearing it, I'm treated to a smokey, resinous scent that is my holy grail of incense-like smells. And yet, like any good holy grail, it is quickly carried away by mysterious figures wearing samite, leaving me with the sweet and slightly fruity scent that I have now come to associate with BPAL's dragon's blood.

Every now and then, there is a pleasant, smoky sort of whuff to it...like a dragon breathing fragrant smoke out of its huge, powerful lungs as it slumbers, its heart beating but once per hour.

Definitely an interesting blend.

I love dragon's blood resin and continually test blends, but it's so strong that I'm starting to feel like they're all too similar. So I was searching for a really dark dragon's blood scent to mix things up, and thought Dragon's Heart would be spot on, but it's only slightly less bright than Blood Amber, I find.

So there's nothing wrong with the oil in and of itself. It's sexy, juicy and full-bodied. It's fine wine. It's just not what I was hoping for.

I don't get a whole lot of musk-- or maybe it's just very well blended. But I do notice the black currant. I'm beginning to worry that currant is not my friend because I get a very faint burnt plastic thing in here that I also got from Eat Me. It's not enough to destroy the overall lushness of the perfume, and if black currant doesn't do that to you, no worries.

Moderately yummy. But the search continues.

Sniffed: Dark, vivid red oil. Surprisingly light on the DB, but with loads of vanilla-cola medicinal-sweet red musk, and somewhat less black musk. I get the tang of the currant and I do find this fruity, but can't pick out the fig.

Wet: Lighter, fresher - more currant, less sweetness, a little more soapy-flora from the DB, while the red musk loses most of its harshness, and I get a little bit of ripe, almost juicy fig. Black musk amping.

Dry: More and more black musk and fig as this dries, with the currant note holding - there's still the Febreze undertone for the DB, but the red musk has become bearable, which is rare on my skin.

Summary: Black musk, ripe fig and dark, tart black currant - deep, unisex scent - with more distant red musk and the soapy-floral of DB. Nicer on my skin than expected. Moderate throw, fades a bit.

went through a bit of a rough patch in my life, and just happened to grab my imp of DH. the name got me figuring that it might give me strength.

i wasn't wrong.

but it's a quiet strength, just getting me through the tasks at hand in a gentle way.

the smell, on me, is pure champa. the DB and the musks come together in such a way that champa is all that can be found.

i will absolutely be getting a bottle of this.

This was predominantly "dragon's blood" on me, like the other scents with this. But it was sweetened up just a touch, at first. But then the musks ground it again. It's warm, and I found it quite beautiful, but it wasn't especially remarkable. I could see a lot of people loving this scent as an everyday scent. It easily could just become a part of you. It fit the name, of course. Yet I thought more of a pulse, like a vein exposed.

Anyways, it had really lovely throw. It did verge on something sweet, like vanilla, but I think it was just the fig with the other notes. It was pleasant, and it lasted all day. Just not a personal favorite, but nothing at all wrong with the scent. ^^

In the imp this is mostly dragons blood.

On my skin...BAM! Dragons blood. I've never been a fan of this note but I'm willing to give this one a chance considering all of the wonderful musk notes.

As it dries the dragons blood subsides a bit and I'm getting a lot more black musk. I love red musk, it's one of my favorite notes but I'm barely smelling it in this blend. :/

Meh. Oh well. This ended up all dragons blood and black musk on me.

Oh my god. I never thought I'd end up having a love affair with anything containing Dragon's Blood, but this stuff is awesome. This is one of the most comforting resiny scents I've ever put on. I wear it when I'm not really feeling 100% and it makes me feel cozy and nice all day. I don't get any of the black currant, but I don't care. This is one of those "smells like me, but better" scents, if you can believe it. I don't actually think I was born smelling of Dragon's Blood and musk, but this just seems so natural on me and not like I'm wearing heavy, cloying perfume.

This was an extra imp in one of my orders. I was happy to receive it because it's one that I had wanted to try, and put it on before anything else.

In the imp and on my skin, it didn't smell like anything! It sort of smelled like a watery dragon's blood, no musks, fig, or currants. Awww, suck!

Maybe it was just me, because a stranger told me I smelled nice that day.

Today I tried it before deciding whether to give the imp away, and it smells wonderful.

The description of this is dead on, listing the notes in the exact order of precedence they take in the blend.

The main note is dragon's blood. I became familiar with dragon's blood resin through cheap incense sticks and oils I used as a teenager, so it is a lovely surprise to experience BPAL's dragon's blood note, which smells resinous, fresh, and green all at once!

The musks add some extra sexiness and depth. They smell like they belong alongside dragon's blood.

The fruits are just hinted at in the background. They add a little bit of juicy sweetness, but at least on my skin, they fade fast. They do seem to leave behind an idea of fruitiness, even though I can't pick them out from the other notes anymore.

I like this one much more than my first experience with it would have lead me to believe. It's warm, red, and sexy. I'm glad to have it to wear in cool fall weather.

Dragon's Heart is one of those weird scents where I started off not liking it at all, but after it had been on for about twenty minutes I realized I was completely in love with it. I'm not sure why I didn't like it much at first -- in my notes, I just wrote "argh, soap" -- but it doesn't smell remotely soapy to me now. I've never tried a Dragon's Blood scent before (this one came to me as a frimp) and so it's hard for me to pin down what exactly this smells like. It smells oddly floral to me, but no specific flowers stand out; rather, it smells more like the idea of flowers, overlying something much richer. It's feminine, but not in a girly way. It's sophisticated and grown-up, the kind of thing you'd wear with razor sharp heels and a no-nonsense attitude. I never would've thought to try any of the dragon's blood scents on my own, but this made me want to sample them all.