Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Heart

A scent pulsing with vitality, warmth and insurmountable strength: dragon's blood resin, red and black musks, a throb of fig and a sliver of black currant.

Dragon's blood and dark fruit with undercurrents of musk. A very soft, warm scent.

Edited by Nekomata

Obtained as a swap from last summer's wonderful Toronto bpal meet, it's tarted.

In the bottle: Floral and soft.

First on: Still floral but I'm getting some resins and black musk.

On for a bit: Smells like an occult shoppe, which is fine with me, heavily scented, hints of musks and patchouli, some floral (I think maybe lotus or lilly) with a warm shot of resin and spice.

I really love this, the red musk doesn't come out on me at all, which is a good thing, because they turn VERY rancid on my skin and generally I strongly dislike patchouli scents, but this one is very minimal and the other notes balance it very well. I don't, however get any type of fruit from this, which is also good becauseI have far too many fig scents. Maybe because it's well aged. This is right up there for my favorite "warm magical scents".

I love this smell. Musks are good to me, but after the musk passes, I can smell the dragonfire - that must be the dragon's blood resin I could never get the currant or fig notes; they all blend together.

Got this as my first frimp, and it was on the top of my next-order wishlist. I love the labbies, they read my mind.

This is a scent rather similar to Fallen on first application; Fallen goes through more different smells on me, but I mistook Dragon's Heart for it in the dark the other day.

Ah, smells in bed.

Bottle: musk, fig, and a hint of dragon's blood resin

Wet: the musks are forward, while the resin is stepping back. a hint of the currant, but it's not too sweet.

Dry: mostly the same, but warmer, mellower.

Later: musks with a chorus of the other notes, like a vocalists with a back-up group. very nice, never got too sweet on me. yessss!

In the bottle: Musky, dark, deep scent. I wonder how I ever thought this was sweet.

Wet/application: A massive eruption of the black & red musk. Swoony. Just a tiny hint of the dragon's blood.

Initial dry: The musks are still going strong, now there's another level of sweet from the fruit notes + dragon's blood. This? awesome.

Later...: The sweetness from the fruit has dissipated a bit, but not a lot. The musky sweetness is still there (musks last foreeeeever on me).

If you are a fan of red/dark musks or sweet scents (which I am!), you will totally dig this.

The distinct coolly resin dragon's blood, with fruitiness that is not overbearing. The "guy's cologne" smell is absent, so either that is not black musk or it is hidden under the dragon's blood.

Dragon's Milk is a clean, sweet daytime scent for me -- Dragon's Heart, on me, is sweet but definitely not clean. I get mostly dragon's blood, currant, and red musk out of this one, and it is fabulous. It is also really, really strong on me, so I have to rein in my slathering tendencies a bit with this one. The big bottle is on its way.

I was inspired to test my imp through the GC swap.

In the imp it smell like musky, dark fruit, maybe fruit that is slightly off. Not a great smell but not a bad one either.

On the skin, it blooms. Wow, this is amazing. A blend of musks (esp. red musk, yum!) with a fruity tang and a touch of the herbal, resiny jasmine-like dragon’s blood. This is a very strong scent and only a little is needed. After a few hrs what remains is the musks tempered a bit by the dragon’s blood. Overall, this is a great scent!

To start with, Dragon's Heart is all fig and fruit on me, sweet and rich and dark and sticky. Over the next few hours, the fig burns away revealing the base of musks, and after six hours there's just a wisp of black muskiness left on my wrist.

A nice scent, but too powerful and dominant for me personally.

In the Imp: All musky figs and currants. A bit sweet, but mostly "earthy".

Wet: The Dragon's Blood take top position and the figs and currents add only a bit of sweetness.

Dry: DB tones down a bit and the musk picks up to counter it. A nice balance of floral-spiciness and musky earthiness. Unfortuanely my beloved fig doesn't really make much of an appearance to remember through the whole wear time. It's very much a background player in this blend.

Throw: Pretty good throw, and it's not all DB screaming throw either.

Overall: A very lovely mixture, it'd be even better if it lasted longer. DB mixtures usually hit about the six hour mark on me, but this one fades in only 4 or so on me.

In the imp: warm, almost sweaty musks.

On me, wet: metal musk and dragon's blood. The fruits are adding a wetness and ripeness to the whole thing, but they're pretty faint in the mix.

On me, dry: sweet dark swirling musk and warm plump fruit and hot burning resins. Man, this is dizzying - strong and sexy and knowing.

Verdict: Aw yeah. This feels like what I was expecting from Scherezade. Sultry and dark and confident. Yum.

In the vial: Dragon's blood, musk, currant

On me: The currant is not agreeing with me. This smells like dragon's blood and berries. Ick.

Verdict: I hate smelling like berries. Not for me!

Rating: 1/5

In the imp: Hello red musk, my old friend/I've come to smell with you again...

Wet: My skin must amplify red musk even more than it does black musk, because red musk is almost all that I can smell here. Now, I like red musk, but I already have two bottles of scents that feature it. I really wish I could detect the fig or blackcurrant.

Drydown and wear: OK, as this dries the dragon's blood is coming out, in its usual "throbbing floral" state, not the cooler state of Dragon Moon. Someone else mentioned Scherezade in their review, and I can certainly detect a similarity, though I do not believe this scent is as complex for someone whose skin chemistry (like mine) revels in dragon's blood. I'll put this in my B-list group, because it does have a sweetness that my other red musk scents don't have, but this only reminds me that I need to go through those scents and start ranking some favorites!

This is definately vital and warm. On me it smells warm and powdery, comfortably clean with a subtle sweetness. It has a delicate strength and an underlying heat that would be delicious on a man. On me it seems like a secret reminder of a tryst with someone both suave and dangerous, like I'm carrying someone else's signature scent around on my skin. I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley--or maybe I would.

This mellowed out and drifted away pretty quickly on me. I reapplied later in the evening and decided that it is a very intriguing scent on me, though not very lasting.

All of the scents that have Dragon's Blood in them start out very floral on me. This was no exception, however, it was softened up with the musks. Now, I am a musk fan so I love this blend a lot. I also love fruity blends and I could smell the fig and black currant in this. The fig gave it an earthiness and the black currant was like little bright sweet spots along the way. Over everything is a musky resiny warm cloud to smooth things out. Because it has that warm deep feel, I think that I would like this best in cooler weather. I was born the year of the dragon so I probably will end up ordering most of them in bottles.

Throw is medium to strong, but it doesn't last as long on me as some of the other BPAL oils.

Dragon's Heart is a fruity Dragon's Blood -- but not overly sweet with fruit, more of a soft, smooth, almost savory fruit note to it that combined with the full body scent of the resinous dragon's blood. It's got the perfect amount of throw, it lasts very a good 4-5 hours on my skin, and when layered with a drop of Kabuki, it's even prettier. I'll be keeping this on hand. I really like it!

In the bottle: Sharp & bloody. Interesting - can't wait to try it!

Wet: Still sharp but now soap over dark musk...

Drying: The musk is glowing through and it's no longer sharp; now all heavy & dark. It's like a bloated, black musk, all moist & humid.

Dry: I smell heavy & close & damp, like some hot, unearthly cave. This is way too claustrophobic and darkly musky for me. No no no.

Heart

I am a Dragon’s Blood fan.

Actually, I’m a Dragon fan, too, but I’m trying to keep this scent related. :P

I am not, however, generally a fan of sweet scents, fruity scents, or juniper scents. Still, I thought I should try all the Ars Draconis!

Reading descriptions and reviews, I had ranked Dragon’s Heart as W(anted).

Imp: Dragon’s Blood, sweet and spicy.

On: Nicely blended, not strongly fruity, a bit syrupy but not unpleasant. Nice throw, and very uplifting.

Wet, this is a somewhat sweet dragon's blood. When Dragon's Heart dries, it's a hell of a sexy musky dragon's blood. It's a heavy scent to wear here in the middle of summer, though. Makes me feel hot and sweaty. Later on, it loses the dragon's blood and smells like menstrual blood. I've had this problem with red musk before. :P

why does this blend smell like a different version of Dragon's Blood than all the others? is the DB in this and Dragon's Bone a different one?

this smells almost tropical on me.... which is not how BPAL DB usual ends up. maybe its just the yummy figgy pudding holding everything onto something bearable?

i almost didn't even bother trying this one, but i'm glad i did!

if every other BPAL Dragon's Blood goes wierd or medicinally on you, try this one before you give up!

edited:

i got a frimp of this in an order yesterday and it had a Punk cap

(instead of the Nearly Headlessness of Imps Past, this one was pierced. just a little hole, all the way through, so it would leak if leaned this way, but not if leaned that way)

so i got some on me while going through all the imps...

and it smelled even better than i remembered!

like dragon's blood incense / smoke. and YUM.

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

quick review while it's on my mind (and my wrist!)

I got a bottle of this yesterday and dabbed some on the boyfriend's wrist to see what it would smell like. On him: nappies. Soiled nappies and baby powder. How could such a lovely bottled scent go so horribly wrong?

Not willing to give up - because it smells so lovely in the bottle, and anyway, what welsh girl could resist a perfume called dragon's heart? :P - I put some on when I got home this evening. On me: a sophisticated, powdery-musky and slightly fruity blend. I'm so relieved!

In the bottle, I can pick up that almost-floral note that people have noticed, along with a sweetness that must be the fruit, and a resiny depth. On my skin, as I've said, the first 5 mins are *powder* (which I think is the black musk coming on strong) and then it settles down so that I can smell the fruit and something warm at the base of it all. Still not too sure about the powdery-ness, but I think this one will grow on me...

eta: several hours later this has mellowed into something deliciously sweet without being foody. Mmm!

eta: several weeks later... this must be a hormonal thing: it's turned to baby powder on my skin. Huh.

This is quite a powerful blend. When it works, it's lovely, but... I think I'll swap my bottle for an imp.

Edited by Cariad

i am not a dragon's blood lover in general, but i thought i'd give a few more a chance, and this is one of them, on account of the musk, which i love. this smells quite unremarkable on me, reminds me a bit of blood amber(?) if my memory is correct. but i like blood amber better.

i get mostly musk however and the dragon's blood is in the background, but it brings out a more animalistic musky smell which i dont like as much as the normal musk scent my skin usually projects.

I received this as a frimp with a previous order. I didn't even know what dragon's blood resin was until I got this imp - How could I have lived without it???

This is a rich, red, warm, sexy scent. To me, this smells like an occult bookstore, and that's a good thing! This is a little musky, and a little spicy, but mostly it's just itself on me. Of all the BPAL oils I've tried, this one remains the most unchanged -it stays true and strong for hours. This also has a tremendous amount of throw, and I have to go easy on it.

This oil makes me feel sexy and confident - it's the sexiness of strength, though, not of seduction, if that makes sense. I feel powerful and magical when I wear this.

It's hotter than Satan's armpit right now, so I don't want to wear anything this heavy right now. But I can't wait until the weather cools off again. Every so often I get my big bottle of Dragon's Heart out again, sniff it longingly, and think of snowy days.

This reminds me very much of Blood Amber, but with a more feral edge. I think it's that red and black musk coming out. It's right on the edge of being civet-y. Not bad, but not me.