Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Ophelia

Wistful and vulnerable: lotus, water blossom ivy, stargazer lily and white rose.

Wet, this is very fruity and sweet, almost like Juicy Fruit gum.

It stays this way while wet on my wrist, though the florals begin to emerge gently. They’re not as heavy as most white florals tend to be.

I get a lot of the lotus and lily, which are probably contributing to the fruit-y notes I’m picking up on as their petals can have a kind of strong, sweet plant fragrance when they’re newly in bloom.

This is a very water-y kind of scent. Everything blends well together, so I don’t really detect one element over another. It takes on a kind of vanilla warmth after a while, which makes it all the more attractive, scent-wise.

I didn’t know what exactly to expect with this one and was concerned that the florals would be too much for me. But I’m actually enjoying it and will definitely pull the imp out from time to time. Lovely, all-around.

very innocent indeed! This scent embodies girliness on me! Watery florals, kind of a light green/light blue feel. I may have to purchase a 5ml, this is so delicate and beautiful.

On the drydown, it turned briefly to smokey plastic on me, but thank goodness that went away.

Soft, innocent, and undeniably feminine-the subtle rose, the lily…just perfect.

The notes are wonderfully balanced and no single element dominates on my skin. I feel pretty and light and comforted.

This is by far my favorite floral.

Ophelia smells to me like Persephone's little sister. There is that same note in both that for the first five minutes reminds me of a nail polish remover I once had, and then it fades into sumptous rose.

Ophelia is watery and lovely. I don't know if I need a big bottle, but I'm going to use up the imp and go from there. Another good candidate for the summer months when I want something feminine and fetching to go with my skirts and heels.

Wet it's all the flowers together, making a precious aquatic-floral bouquet, very romantic and even melancholic.

Dry the ivy comes out with the lily, making it more green and less sweet as the lotus looses part of its throw; very evocative.

Perfect for it's name, indeed, maybe a big bottle. :P

This scent is making me re-evaluate how I feel about florals...usually florals smell like nothing to me, or they make me sneeze, or they make my head hurt. But there are a few that make me very, very happy. This is one of those. There is a heavy, brooding, enveloping dark sweetness about these flowers. I don't know how I feel about lotus, but stargazer lily was one of my favorite Yankee Candle scents, and white rose might be one of the ingredients in Dublin that makes it so impossibly gorgeous. No powdery scent, no headache...layers of sweet smokiness and crisp succulence that mesh perfectly. This makes me wonder if I might enjoy some other "white" florals, like Ghost, which has some similar notes in it.

If you don't like florals, give this one a try anyway -- if I had more of this I would consider using it as a room scent in the spring and summer, or scent candles or lotions with it. As a perfume, I will definitely use the imp. This would be equally beautiful for a wedding or a funeral, strangely enough. I can see both radiant white hope, and dark melancholy in this blend, depending on how I approach it.

It's just SO beautiful. And on a beautiful spring day like today....I want to wreathe myself in flowers and go lie down in a stream, inhaling their scent.

Ophelia is such a lovely scent, so appropriate for the lovely, complex character she is named after. It is a light and sweet floral, not screaming floral, but with a definite floral tone, and a lovely sweet scent that I can't place. The rose comes through over time, faint but present. Altogether lovely and complex and I am thinking this might be the next floral I buy. Sadly, I don't smell stargazer lily at all, the actual flowers are one of my favourite scents, but since they are so overpowering perhaps it's just as well.

A great spring or summer scent.

In the imp: Drowned roses.

Wet: Roses floating on water.

Drydown: The roses are less prominent in this stage. I can pick up the lotus now. It gives it that vague bubblegum note I'm so familiar with. It's very feminine and wistful.

Final thoughts: I like this a lot. I don't think enough for a bottle, but I'll be keeping the imp.

This has been my standard springtime scent for the last 2 months. :P In the bottle it smells sort of candy-ish to me. Once I'm wearing it though it's a beautiful floral. I'm not good at picking out specific notes - to me it smells like a big bouquet with roses as the centerpiece. Puts me in mind of a lovely spring stroll through a colorful, blooming garden.

first on: the rose is a bit too strong, even tho it is mixed with a sweetness.

as it dries: wait. i think i like it. i was prepared not to, because. . . "i don't do rose." :P but this is nice! it smells like there is amber or vanilla in there, because something in round and soft.

it stays fairly strong and true on me. . .

Hmm... I actually really like this. It is very fruity and sweet- but there is a tang to this blend. It smells a bit like sweet tarts. Hmm..cherry sweet tarts to be exact. Very fruity scent...for such a tradic girl....

at first: the lab included this as an extra. rose and some other light scent. very pretty.

on: a wonderful blend of rose, lily, and lotus.

2.5 hours later: dusty and gorgeous. a very "perfumey" perfume.

overall: a fabulous blend, but i have too many rose and lotus blends already.

Ah, sweet Ophelia...

I do not get the sharp tang that others get with this, at all. On me, it reminds me of candied violets, sweetly sparkling with sugar. It is a round, full, and soft scent on me. I can see Ophelia floating on her back in the water with flowers and leaves entangled in her hair.

This is what I reach for when I want to feel girly but fresh, light, cool, and innocent. It does, as another reviewer said, have a very healthy amount of throw. Although it is light, its fullness provides a pleasant headiness.

This will be a big bottle on my next order. :P

Edited by inbigtrouble

In the Bottle: Smells floral and watery

On Skin: Ewww. This smells like nail polish remover. :D There is a definite sharpness to it. I think what isn't working with my body chemistry is the lotus.

On Drydown: The nail polish remover smell doesn't really go away. It smells very green right now with a faint floral sometimes though.

Verdict: In the end, I can't hack the first 10 minutes of strong nail polish remover smell on my skin. Lotus and I just can't get along. :P This imp is better off with someone else.

Ophelia is a gentle floral, and I expected not to like this, since a combination of chemistry and overly strong preference for Gourmand blends usually makes me put scents liek this on the swap pile.

Not this one.

This is so beautiful and innocent, a bit watery but not aquatic. It is sweet, and would be a perfect perfume for a young (adolescent) girl. But I love it too.

In the imp: *blinkblink* Okay, that's nothing like what I was expecting. I was thinking a mild floral. When you get your nose right up to it it smells like a particular kind of antibiotic we used to get when we got strep as children... fake satsuma flavor. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. I once bought a satsuma bubble bath at the Body Shop because the scents were reminiscent. There's an undertone of rosewater: not roses, rosewater, which is quite different.

First on: This is sweet, but not in the cloying way that a lot of Beth's "fruity" fragrances have been on me. Still the satsuma fragrance, but a lotus and rose are coming through. This is an odd blend of the two, though: my brain can instantly identify them, but they don't smell like I'm used to with those notes.

Dry:This ended up being more lotus than anything else.

Schizo scent. Kind of appropriate for Ophelia, eh? For a freebie I quite liked this one... I won't put it on my big bottle list, but I'll definitely wear it again.

Ophelia turned out to be a very light scent on me, though -very- pretty. I might

have to re-apply this one during the day.

When I put it on I remembered this moment from a wonderful manga, Glass

Mask, where the main character, Maya Kitajima, is practicing Ophelia's lines. The

artist draws an almost ghostly figure of Ophelia in costume next to Maya saying

the lines and going through the motions with her. It says -alot- about this scent

that it reminded me of her.

The one word that kept coming to mind when I smelled this scent was water.

Tears, specifically...(appropriate for a tragic heroine...).

Definitely an excellent embodiment of the character :P

Ophelia

Sweet, fruity floral with an ozone-y touch. Oh there's rose in here. And this is the bad rose. The rose that smells like hair. There's a touch of a green note, that might be the ivy. But really I'm trying to smell anything but the bad rose bit and not getting much else at all. I wish bpal rose worked on me, but it rarely does. :P

I put this one on today because I needed something light and spring-y to cheer me up.

It certainly is a light, warm floral and not unpleasant. But there's an almost fruit-y tone to the scent that I can taste in my mouth and is distracting to me.

A nice scent, but won't be one of my favorites.

Ophelia

In the imp: lotus and rose, a clear, moist floral.

Wet on skin: this is a lovely, crisp floral scent-mainly lotus and rose, but with something else-that could be the lily or the ivy.

Dry on skin: oh, this is gorgeous! I love lotus and rose, and this blend has them both. The lotus smells sweet and smooth and the rose is crisp and full, I think there's a moist, watery greenness here which could be the water ivy. I can't really smell the lily, but this is lovely all the same.

After a while: there's a nice tangy aspect to this fragrance, it makes the scent quite fresh and light. I also like the way that the lotus and rose are nicely balanced in this scent. I think I can just about make out the lily, but it's very much a background note.

Verdict: this is another gorgeous floral scent which I love. It has two of my favourite notes in it-lotus and rose-but I think the lily and ivy add a nice and interesting touch to the scent. it smells crisp and soft, very feminine, quite sweet and fresh. This is a beautiful light flowery scent that makes me feel all girly inside. Another one to add to my collection of rose and lotus favourites.

Oh, pretty!

I like this very much, and I am picky as hell when it comes to florals. I ordered this because I identify with Ophelia: I too tend to fall for boring, long-winded, ineffectual basketcases with poor decision-making skills.

That said, Ophelia is absolutely lovely. On me, it is rose sweetened by lotus and lily, the florals kept in check by the light watery greenness of ivy. After a few hours, a light, creamy, almost vanilla-y note appears, as well. It's subtle, soft, beautifully blended and utterly feminine. Wear this on the days you feel like wearing your baby-pink pumps and strolling through the park on your lunch break.

The essence of innocent melancholy young-womanhood. Definitely a keeper.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Girly.

In the imp/bottle: A juicy, fruity floral, heavy on the rose.

On skin, wet: Lotus and rose over a soft base of lily and water blossom ivy. This is a very watery scent. Flowery water.

On skin, dry: This becomes very faint. What I do catch is a soft, powdery rose water.

Conclusion: Very girly -- this is probably how I'd imagine Alice if I'd not sniffed it before, and didn't know any of the notes. Very innocent.

Edited by Aredhel

Oh wow, this is gorgeous!

Wet it is a sweet lotus/rose scent. Upon dry down, it becomes more and more aquatic, yet retains its sweetness. The lilies and rose become stronger on me, but the lotus is still there. This is soft, beautiful and feminine. Absolutely lovely - big bottle needed ASAP.

There are hints here of my mother's perfume; this is the first thing I've ever gotten with rose in it, so that must be what's putting me in mind of Mom. It has an aquatic hint to it, something saltier than the brook Ophelia chose but still damp and almost weedy. It's a bit too floral to really be "me" though.

In the bottle: Sweet. Sweet, sweet, sweet, flowery, sweet. I can't smell the rose in it right now (rose is in my nose-dead list) but what I can smell is like night-blooming flowers. Very delicate, not cloying.

Wet: Prettier on me than Desdemona. Still sweet, still light. A bit soapy, but not bad. Certainly about as inoffensive as florals get on me.

Dry: ...I think this is the first floral I've ever found that /doesn't/ turn completely to soap (or cheap-ass perfume. Or bug spray.) It /does/ still retain a faint soap-ish scent to me, but it's a nice kind of soap. It smells of clean-ness, with no acridity. Just enough flower to be kind of floral, but not sharp or unpleasant. It has a very sweet under-note, that I /think/ is the lotus, and might be me actually picking up a bit of rose.

Overall: Very pleasant, and not headache-inducing. I don't know that I'd wear it -often-, but unlike most florals, I could wear it if I wanted to.