Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Ophelia

Wistful and vulnerable: lotus, water blossom ivy, stargazer lily and white rose.

Just on: At first, Ophelia was a sharp, wet floral. Almost, but not quite, green. I was surprised that I couldn't even really pick out the rose, which is one of the few florals I can generally easily identify. There's a pretty lightness to this blend.

Dry: The lotus comes out in the drydown, as does the white rose, sweetening the scent considerably. This isn't a bubblegum sweet, overwhelming lotus, though. The overall effect is still light, with just a bit of sugar.

Overall, Ophelia lasted about 4 hours on me before hitting the point where I would want to reapply. If I had to pick an adjective to describe it, I'd say "wistful." It's not something I would see myself wearing often, so I'll be passing it on to someone with a more well-developed girly side. :P

In Imp: A sharp floral. Very strong rose scent

Wet on my skin: The rose is prominent with the lily peeking through. My body chemistry loves roses so this is a soft, powdery, lovely rose on me. The lily is very....sweet?

Drydown: Definity rosey. The rose is so soft and delicate and the lily is delightful. It's becoming a very beautiful floral scent for me.

3 hours later: This scent doesn't have a whole lot of staying power for me. After 3 hours, Ophelia turns more aquatic, with the faintest rose. The lily has disappeared entirely but it is still quite feminine and soft.

Summary: This is a lovely spring scent, light and sweet and blooming. It reminds me of a bouqet of white roses that are freshly watered. I really love this scent. I recommend it for people who enjoy light florals with a prominent rose note.

**Repost of missing review**

In the imp: Wow, this smells very soapy to me--clearly, that's the rose. It also smells whisper-light.

Wet: Yes, this is the type of rose that is very close to going over the soapy edge on me. The rose is the only note that I can detect; none of the other florals are making themselves known.

Drydown and wear: Because it doesn't go totally soapy on me, I think I will hold onto the imp, but this is certainly not a "buy" for me. (Part of it, I think, is the fact that I really don't like the character Ophelia!)

What initially charmed me about BPAL was that I found a perfume called Ophelia; that I could wear a scent created specifically for the character with notes and ideas intended to encapsulate her.

But I would have fallen in love with Ophelia regardless of the name.

On me, she goes on a sweet, almost candy-like floral. I adore rose, so I'm very happy to detect it right away. The lotus must be what is making it so sweet. Lily always smells somewhat green to me, which must be enhanced by the ivy.

I absolutely agree with other reviers who say it evokes the various Pre-Raphaelite interpretations of Ophelia, especially the one by John Everett Millais where she is floating on her back surrounded by flowers and greens. It's definitely "wistful and vulnerable" and is one of my favorite blends to wear when I'm feeling particularly dreamy. So feminine and lovely. :P

Edited by Cicely

Imp: A sad aquatic floral.

Wet: Lilies, stillness, despondency. A sadder version of Shalott.

Dry:a deep pond with white flowers growing in the shade. Eventually very dark and bitter, though still aquatic.

Wow. I thought I liked lilies more than this. It's much too melancholy to wear often, especially since I already have the aquatic, muguet, water-blossom masterpiece that is The Lady of Shalott.

To start: Sweet flowers, almost buttery. But then, holy baby powder, batman! Overwhelmingly powdery, which eventually softened, but the floral elements I was looking for never materialized.

Wet, this was all extremely sweet lotus on me. On drydown, the extreme sweetness went away and the rose came through. I could not detect any lily.

This is a very innocent scent, which really isn't me, and I can't say I liked the initial cloying sweetness much, so I think I'll pass this on to someone who appreciates it more than me.

I get a predominant tea rose scent. Not as white and vague as I was fearing, it remains potent and definable. Rose and swaying, watery florals. The lotus doesn't turn to bubblegum on me like normal, either. Hooray!

If you liked Parlement of Foules, you really should try Ophelia.

Wet and floral in the imp. Ophelia dries light and smelling like wild roses. It reminds me alot of lush's "pink" scents. May need a 5ml of this!

very floral in the imp, quite soapy, wasn't sure if i'd like this one

a lot lighter on the skin, the rose is dominant for me, i'm not huge on rose but it's a nice romantic scent, i think it'd be a great scent for spring, for days you're outside enjoying the sunshine with someone you love.

not sweet at all on my skin, for me, the lotus is totally drowned out by the rose/lilies, but that's ok, i still quite like it, this has a lot of staying power too

final verdict: don't think i'll buy a big bottle but i'll definately finish my imp

Uber-girly to the extreme. It's a very pretty floral, almost heady in its sweetness. The kind of thing to wear when I want to feel oh-so pretty and pink.

On me, this was a sour aquatic with a faint 'dried rose' undertone. Not at all my thing.

The first whiff from the bottle is cold night florals, the lily and ivy blend into an overly sweet melancholy smell. It goes powdery on contact, but pleasantly so; the rose and lily are the high notes in this while the ivy has sunk down and is a soft green base. I'm not getting much lotus while it's wet, but as it warms and dries, it starts to darken into a truly night scent: smoky and cool but overwhelmingly floral. Almost an incense scent, but not quite strong enough. Once it warms up, it tones down immensely - no longer a slap in the face with a bouquet but now like a warm breeze coming in from a summer's eve garden. Sweet and heavy but in a friendly way. This scent is entirely too young and sweet for me, by way of florals - it needs something to ground it, which isn't there. Over all, after it dries, it goes super sweet and gets overpowering

Bottle: lily foremost, with a hint of lotus

Wet: sharp and high white note in addition to the lily, the rose, I think. lotus fades back.

Dry: the lily and rose are neck-and-neck in the font, barely a hint of the other notes. heady white floral.

Later: The lily hasn't completely taken off on me as it's oft wont to do, and it's a very balanced, much more subtle, combination of notes, now. Yearning, lovely, with a deep sadness...pensee.

a sweet floral! Very nice... after being on for a while, I swear I smelled a hint of lemon... then it became almost completely rose. A nice soft rose! Loved this one :P

Imp: Smells like B&BWs Sweet Pea mixed with Peony Moon. It's very soft and delicate.

Wet: Sweet and wet, I can tell there's white rose in here. Very feminine. Something turns a little less sweet floral, one of the notes doesn't quite work on me.

Dry: Smells just like Moon Rose on my skin. Pleasantly wet white floral

Category: White Floral

Rating: 3.5/5; Lovely blend of light white wet florals

Overall: I don't know if I would wear it, but it isn't unpleasant. I would recommend it for floral and aquatic people.

bottle:

floral: rosey

wet:

nice floral, not too sweet or heady - the rose is a really nice rose.

dry:

invigorating floral, not too sweet, not too heavy…. Very bright and fresh!

overall:

a girly scent, yet I love it!

rating: 8/10

In the imp: very light lily over soft roses.

On me, wet: oh, I guess that's lotus, along with ivy and the other florals. Very strongly floral, a bit green and bitter and acrid.

On me, dry: no, ick, that's sort of unpleasantly ivy-dominated now. It smells like evil flowers that want to suffocate the pure of heart.

Verdict: nope, not a keeper. off to the swap pile.

Yep, rose, lotus and lily. This is so light and delicate. I love the lotus in here for keeping this a little greener. This scent definitely fits its namesake.

Ophelia

Ophelia smells exactly like single-note artificial pear flavour. A bubbly, sparkly pear flavour, like pear soda. Or almost spot-on like a certain Swedish pear popsicle.

I'm used to fruit notes overwhelming everything with their candy sweetness, but there isn't even any pear in Ophelia! I guess it's the lotus, since I've heard people say lotus=bubblegum.

Note to self: avoid lotus.

A strong and clean floral scent. It's almost a little heady and overbearing. I would imagine a strong and powerful woman wearing this scent. I do like some notes in here, but overall - no. I can't pull this type of scent off. It doesn't wear well on me.

Edited by alishathekitten

I think I've found my favorite GC so far. This is lovely - the ivy and the roses blend so well, and the lotus makes it just a touch sweet. I definitely want a 10ml of this one, it's just so feminine and pretty. :P

The lab has captured the essence of Ophelia entirely. Ophelia is a sharp watery confusing creation that smells gorgeous! It has a calming effect on me for some reason. As many have said, not too sweet or heady. Lotus and lily stand out more than anything.

Rating: 4/5

Ophelia is one of the first 10 or so BPAL scents I ever tried, and immediately won her way into my heart. She is a lovely scent, full of feminine florals and something else that makes it simultaneously herbal and creamy. She is a gorgeous scent that I am looking forward to wearing again in the summertime.

full of yummy wonderful notes that sometimes don't blend so well for me...

Ivy and Lily, i love them but they tend not to like me so much...

in the imp: smells like wild white roses.

on me: turns into gardenias.

(i have this problem with lots of floral scents)

still a clean, fresh, white-floral scent... just not for me.