Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Sarah

Daiyu

Moroccan jasmine, chrysanthemum, tea leaf, white musk, and acai berry.

Bright and fruity berries. Acai berry really is a nice berry note but I'm afaid I dont really wear anything that bright and fruity and sweet. That is really not me at all.

After some time, when the berry has gone away, it leaves a wonderful soft musk scent on my skin that I kept sniffing and sniffing. But I dont want to wait for it.
Can I please get exactly this without the berries please?

I HATE jasmine and never would have considered trying this scent if I hadn't bought it in my decant set. Moroccan jasmine must be something different because I LOVE this scent. There's something about it that is reminiscent of my beloved Aizen-Myoo.

In the bottle: I smell berries. A sour berry with a hint of floral in the background

Wet: more berries. I don't really want to smell like a blue/raspberry :P

Drydown: what is this? Yum yum yum. A crisp, fresh oriental scent which is a little tart-berry where Aizen-Myoo is more grapefruit. Don't be afraid, it just dries down into the most wonderful fresh and clean not really fruity/not really floral scent and lasts and lasts. Reminiscent also of Hungry Ghost Moon. Bright and cheery and optimistic. It's going to be a great day!

I'm surprised Daiyu isn't getting more love. You're all probably afraid of the jasmine, but you needn't be. I'm one of the most jasmine-averse people around - I've had to discard many beautiful scents because the jasmine wouldn't let the other notes come out - but I swear this is nothing but sweet pink berries and tea. :P

The tea/white musk combination makes Daiyu very reminiscent of Dorian. It's like a cross between Dorian and Tamamo-no-mae/Hungry Ghost Moon. The acai note is gentle and not too tart or strong like it is in Slippery Poppy Tincture. I shoved my wrist in my boyfriend's face and he said "That smells very nice. Yes, I like that one, it's very pretty," which is an over-the-top rave coming from him.

Daiyu is not my usual style of scent, so I don't think I'll get a bottle when there are so many other Carnaval scents I need, but I will keep the decant for now. If you like Dorian or sweet, "pink" scents like Bordello, you need to try this!

In the imp: this first struck me as just blaring "berry!!!" in a Boots bubblebath kind of monotone. I thought I'd try it and see if it picked up, though I was severely doubtful.

On: At first it was very berry still, but even in the early stages, it was becoming delightfully complex. After a few minutes, it became a womanly fruity scent, lighter than the imperial reds and purples of Blood Countess, but full and juicy. Over time, the fruit settles and is tempered by the tea. I don't smell much in the way of florals, so I think the chrysanthemum and jasmine are getting a little lost in the exotic, warm scent.

Daiyu seems to be very much berry-dominated on me, but judging by the responses on this forum, she also seems to work very differently on different people, so don't let the florals scare you.

wet on skin and dry down: sweet, floral, clean - chrysanthemum dominant early on, but berry and musk there too.

dry: berry & chysanthemum still dominant with musk underneath. It is a very fresh and clean scent for while. a lot different to the other ladies

so I am very happy once the tea leaf and jasmine start to come out (i think this was after about an hour). a few hours later it is tea, jasmine & musk, with berry and chrysathemum in background - i really like this phase.

Daiyu is quite a morpher

I'm shocked at how much I like this! Berry scents don't often work on me, but this is lovely. I didn't know what acai smelled like, so at first I was almost thinking apple...then apple crossed with strawberry...then apple and strawberry and pearish blackberry...nope, I guess that's acai! The vanilla-sugared tea leaf stays in the background, keeping this from smelling like BBW.

Really, really wonderful!

in the bottle: straight up acai berry. which i ADORE. :P

wet on skin: same *keeps fingers crossed*

dry down: oh YEAH. in addition to the tart and delicious acai comes a hint of the mum sniffing around. i find the two, although not what i would think of as normal bedmates, interact in a lovely way.

in all: yes, i am *very* glad to have picked up a bottle before the Carnivale leaves town!

:D

This smells like a cross between Australian Copperhead and Faiza. I smell the acai, and I was really scared of the jasmine, but for a non-florally person, I kind of like this. It is a very fresh and free-spirited scent to me. I like it, but probably will just enjoy my imp during the warm weather.

First off... <3 to the lovely Tania from whom I got this decant! She must have used magic to get her package to me because it managed to travel from Canada to Texas super-quick AND arrive on a day when I sorely needed a pick me up!

So, Daiyu was one of THOSE scents. You know the one. It's the decant you have no real interest in but buy because it's part of the set, or to get your forum order up to the seller's imp minimum. I got Daiyu because it was part of a fabulous CD imp lot that included things I just HAD to try because there was so much buzz about them (Pickled Imp!) and things that I had a lot of personal interest in (Eisheth Zenunim). Poor Daiyu was an also-ran.

Apparently my head is full of rocks.

I tried Daiyu last night after some disappointing lap dances from Grindhouse ladies I was more interested in. I don't like berries, and jasmine usually turns to soap on my skin.

And Daiyu is wonderful.

The acai is tart without being sour. The jasmine is behaving. The tea is not too astringent. I can't pick out the chrysanthemum, but I'm not sure what is smells like. And the drydown? My beloved white musk.

It's not perfect on my skin. There are still hints of soap during the drydown and Daiyu seems to disappear quite quickly. But in my hair? Lord help me, I want to sex up myself. I must buy Daiyu. Funds permitting, she will go onto my August Lunacy order.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Musky berry tea!

Preconceived notions/pre-review thoughts: I amp jasmine something awful, but I'm giving this a go anyway.

In the decant: Acai berry and jasmine. A strange but hardly unpleasant combination!

On skin, wet: Musky berry tea! The white musk is much stronger than I'd anticipated, and that in itself is a fantastic thing!

On skin, dry: Surprisingly little change from wet. Like all white musk-heavy BPAL blend, this has a very soft, fuzzy quality, like warm velveteen. The tea stays just this side of soapy, and the is muted beneath the musk. This is the closest thing to BPAL's white musk single note I've ever gotten, and it is gorgeous.

Conclusion: Daiyu is surprise winner! It's got very little throw, so I'll need to slather, but I'm more than willing to do so. I'll definitely need a bottle!

Edited by Aredhel

IN THE IMP: Bright, sharp, SOUR berry tea.

WET: Oh! The sharp edge is gone almost right away, thank goodness. Still berry, but sweetened, balanced by jasmine and some tea. And oh, is that chrysanthemum I smell? And white musk? This is getting more delicious by the second; I can't seem to tear my nose away from my wrist.

DRY: This is a lovely berry tea with just a hint of creaminess from the white musk. The jasmine behaves perfectly, and it's gorgeous and soft and sweet, and there's a tiny hint of chrysanthemum. I can definitely see the comparisons to Dorian. It also reminds me a little of Lady Una, in terms of the whole tart berry, a little tea, and something sweet for balance. The throw is a bit light, though, so I'll probably have to slather this one.

I cannot believe it...finally a jasmine scent that I love. Jasmine is usually death to me. I even had to throw in the towel on Bigger Critters, which I thought was going to be o.k. But the sweet fruitiness of Daiyu balances the flowerly jasmine just perfectly. I love BPAL can still surprise me :-) :P

Initially. the acai berry and tea dominate Daiyu. Then, the most beautiful musk note EVER starts exploding from my skin and takes the fresh scent into fruity, creamy territory. The chrysanthemum and jasmine are supporting the scent nicely, and are so well blended that I am struggling to pick them out.

Jasmine haters, you will not be able to find the jasmine in this scent.

I am reminded primarily of Tamamo-no-Mae.

Very lovely! This one deserves additional consideration....

4.5 out of 5

First Sniff: Wet, lush acai berry with chrysanthemum and musk.

On Skin: Stays true to first sniff. Musky acai berry tea with a touch of chrysanthemum.

It is simply beautiful and I can't believe, that the jasmine is not overpowering and making me feel sick.

Drydown: Some of the musk wears off and it is a lovely berry tea.

Final thoughts: Unlike others, this lasts on my skin. I consider this blend to be a surprise hit.

this was a frimp from someone and also a surprise hit! i looove chrysanthemum, tea and white musk but the jasmine and especially the acai berry made it iffy, as i often don't like fruity scents. however, this is a sexy, sophisticated fruit that i could actually see myself wearing. the berry is the most prominent note, but the background is a beautiful vanilla-tea-musk that is so pretty and sensual that i can't stop sniffing my arm!

eta: more time has passed and GOOD LORD this is beautiful, and i must have a bottle! i love bpal surprises...i never thought i'd even like this one :P

Edited by theseagrows

The Grindhouse ladies and me, we don't get along so well. They just seem to dislike my skin chemistry on contact, for some reason. Which is weird, considering how many sex scenes I write. You'd think professionals would have respect for that. But no. So far of all of them, only Eisheth Zenunim has graduated to potential bottle status.

And yet I perservere, and so today I turn with apprehension and a strange sense of hope to Daiyu.

Perhaps my hope springs from the tea and musk, or the acai berry, all of which do well on me. Perhaps it's because I hope Daiyu will overlook my very obvious Eurotrash origins, look kindly on my nom de plume and work with me.

In the imp: Acai berry, then something a little like fennel--I'm thinking this is the chrysanthemum.

Wet: Acai and chrysanthemum. Where's the jasmine?

Dry: The musk comes up, and there's the jasmine, but the acai keeps things bright. Ooh, and there's the tea at the very back, adding a softer green. This is really nice, and the more time goes by the more everything blends. Sophisticated but not stuck up, and altogether happy.

I don't know whether I'm happy or not! That makes nine potential CD bottles!

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Daiyu is straight acai berry. Dry, the other notes start to come through, with chrysanthemum being the most prominent. This is very nice.

IN THE IMP: Fresh chrysanthemum, dusty tea leaf, and a touch of sweet, tart berry.

ON SKIN: Fresh, sweet, girly, delicate. As in the imp, though the tea (I think black) is coming out more strongly and warmly. No white musk, which generally hates me, yay! Smells like warm tea with a bit of brown sugar and cream, and berries with a touch of fresh floral on the side. Surprisingly foodie on me, but very light and gentle.

LATER: Quickly loses freshness and turns into slightly murky, spicy berry. No buy for this one. Dies within an hour and a half.

Waaaah. It was so pretty, and the only blend in which I ever got tea.

Edited by Emera

Wet in bottle - Wow the acai berry is really strong, with jasmine and white musk underneath.

Wet on skin - Still a lot of acai, maybe a little bit of jasmine. I hope the acai calms down.

Dry on skin - After about 30 minutes the acai has faded nicely and there's a complex jasmine tea leaf white musk thing happening. There is almost a vanilla tinge in the background as well. I'll have to apply this judiciously otherwise people will be bowled over with the ACAI!!! (it's that strong when I first apply)

Wet: Strong, juicy berries at first. Not too tart at all, and not too sweet. It smells fresh, like Baneberry does.

Dry: after 15 min, the berries have disappeared, and I'm left with . . .hmm, white musk? with some jasmine in the background? I can't place what it is, but call it the "freshness" that was supporting the berries before.

Very nice. The throw during the wet stage is really strong, but it's gentler when dry. I like it, but I'm not sure I need a bottle.

In the Bottle: Berry tea, but mostly berry

On My Wrist: Pure, sweet acai berry. My skin amps any berries so one little drop on the inside of my wrist almost drowned out the other scents I tried.

Verdict: Sweet and fun. Definitely a summer scent :P Not for me because I'm not to found of pure berry scents and that's what this is on me.

This starts out fruity but with a sour edge. As it dries, the sourness becomes fairly pronounced. I pick up musk and tea but the sour fruit is overpowering.

Not for me.

This is a very light blend on me. It slightly berryish, the jasmine is soft and subtle.... It's light, pretty and feminine. And I find it to be NOT what the painting evokes. At all.

And after half an hour I can't smell a damn thing. My skin ate this right up.

I got this as a decant. In the imp it smells complicated and lovely and sweet. But when I first put it on, it's all acai. Acai is nice, but I'm now concerend about smelling like a smoothie. But in just a few minutes, the fruitiness is tempered with the green-yellow tang of what has to be tea and chrysanthemum. The acai is still there, but it's blended down now, and it is nice. I do get a breath of musk as a background note; musk works well on me, so this is all for the good. The floral note in this is a little too sharp for jasmine; don't know where that went. Really, though, as good as it is, I don't mind if a note got sacrificed in the process. Oh, my paws and whiskers, I love this one; it makes me want to walk around with my nose in the crook of my elbow, snuffling away like a truffle pig. Always a sign of a keeper, although not a very attractive image.

This is a very bright scent, but has a certain elegant and complex feel to it, not overpowering. It wouldn't be bad to be stuck in an elevator with Daiyu, if you know what I mean. Daiyu is a perfect balance of sweet, fruity, and sour. I love this girl. This is the kind of scent that reminds me of why I love the Lab, and why my vanity is cluttered with bottles and imps (as hard as I try, I just can't keep 'em organized.) I need more of this.

Daiyu

In the imp: like a chilled acai and green tea infusion.

Wet on skin: acai and tea! This smells like the berry in Australian Copperhead, but sharper and purer.

Dry on skin: now I smell the jasmine, and it’s a nice jasmine like the one in BiggerCritters, which is heady and strong but not bitter and acrid. The scent is mostly jasmine and acai now, with just a hint of tea. This is such a pretty fruity floral! the berry is sweet and bright with hints of apple, pomegranate and currant, the jasmine is rich and flowery, the tea adds it’s green tanginess, the white musk binds everything together. I don’t smell any chrysanthemum.

After a while: this gets even nicer! The jasmine here is so pretty, not sharp at all, just how I like my jasmine to smell. It’s also sweet, or is that the berry? It smells like softly sugared berries and jasmine, but also like a cool refreshing drink made from tea and berries. I think it reminds me of an iced green tea from Whittards, which is berry flavoured. There’s a pomegranate-like feel to the fruitiness here (it reminds me of Flower Song at times), but a little bit lighter. This doesn’t smell like it, but there’s a similar feel here to Cheshire Cat and Xanthe, that mix of fruit and floral and gentle white sugar.

The scent then fades into a lovely berry-tea scent, sweet and pink with a touch of tartness from the tea. It still has that ‘iced fruit tea’ scent, I still get that pomegranate like note, and also some cherry blossom at times. I could see myself wearing this a lot in summer.

Verdict: this scent really took me by surprise-a jasmine scent I can wear! I love the smell of jasmine flowers but very few BPAL jasmines work on me-this one does. This is jasmine-heavy, but it’s such a lovely jasmine note, I fell for it immediately. The scent overall is a fresh fruity floral. the acai note is crisp and sweet, a berry with a hint of pomegranate. I don’t smell much chrysanthemum, but the tea adds to the tangy freshness, it’s almost like a fruity chilled tea drink. The jasmine adds it’s heady floral to the delicate fruit notes but doesn’t weigh it down. This scent smells cool, refreshing, and delightful. I wasn’t expecting to love this so much but this one is a big hit-one of the best BPAL jasmine scents. Perfect for warm, sultry summer evenings.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I think I need a bottle.

If you like this, try: Australian Copperhead, MB BiggerCritters, Xanthe, Cheshire Cat, Flower Song, Spell of Amourous Love