Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
edenssixthday

Screaming Mandragora

This was a gift with the purchase of the full Wunderkammer set. No scent description is available.

Screaming Mandragora - What a great scent! It seemed fruity and slightly earthy on me, and when asked what was in it, Beth's passed along the word that it's a "rooty fruit." I really couldn't describe it better than that. The earthiness of this scent is not a dirt type of earthiness, but definitely a rootiness. I have no clue what the fruit scent is - something sweet, a little dark, and perhaps some type of red fruit, but I really can't identify it for the life of me. After being on my skin for 30 minutes or so, the earthiness fades and what's left is the sweet, deep fruit scent. I wish I could identify it - plum, perhaps? I have no idea. Anyway, It's been three hours since I applied it and I can still smell it. It's lovely and I'm sooo bummed this isn't more widely available.

Screaming Mandragora is a blend that is very much like its namesakes. It starts out strong and very distinct and as it dries it builds into a very quick fever pitch: very loud and a bit sharp. Then, just as quickly as it peaked, it mellows down into a smooth blend that sits close to my skin but sticks around for quite a while.

The first thing I smell in this is coconut. It's almost a darker coconut and there is a dry but smooth wood powder that is paired with it, possibly cedar. This is the fever pitch and just when I thought the wood would take over the blend, it nearly pulled a disappearing act. At that point, the blend is very smooth and a bit mellow. There's an earthy, rooty quality that is not patchouli or vetiver but it invokes the feeling of earth and dirt and twisted roots. There is a touch of greenness and muskiness and something almost fruity and red, yet it is not a typical berry-like scent and it remains subtle and masked. The woody, coconut aspect is still present through all of that, but it's very subdued and lends itself well to the earthiness.

Lovely, lovely blend and I wish I could get this in spades but instead I will cherish my imp. =)

The idea that this is "rooty fruit" sure is appropriate :P It's about what I expected in the earthiness/rooty factor - it's deep and sort of dirty smelling, an almost... pencil shaving like bitter sharpness to it. But at the same time, there is a sort of a vague, pale fruit as well. Not tart or overly sweet, just very light and a little warm. The end result is an interesting combination, and pretty fitting for the name I think. What I expected for the most part but a little more "playful" than I had anticipated.

I had to admit I was afraid to test out my sniffie of this. Like I need to fall in love with a scent that would be so hard to get hehe! Luckily, I don't LOVE it, but I think it's really nice and I'm so glad I got the opportunity to try it!

SCREAMING MANDRAGORA

In Bottle: Earthy fruit

On Skin: I love this, it’s a very dark and almost gritty fruit. It has a soil/dirt tone to it as well. The fruit itself is creamy and white, the closest thing I could compare it to would be coconut. But it’s more fruity than nutty. I also smell a waxy note. As it develops, it loses it’s earthiness and just becomes more fruity. If I had to describe this scent quickly, I’d say a coconut and berry chapstick or candle. It’s very yummy and very warm in tone. It has a light throw and short wearlength.

First of all, it must be said that Screaming Mandragora earns the Cutest Imp award. Second of all, I feel honored because not only is the ENTIRE Wunderkammer set a total win, but so is this little prize! And thirdly, all previous posters did a perfect job describing this.

I think I wanted to giggle the first time I sniffed this because it really made me instantly think "evil pencil shavings". It's so much like the Rappaccini's Garden mandrake bend, but with a tartness. Before testing this, it reminded me of the sinister grapefruit note in R'lyeh. Tested, I threw away the grapefruit idea and couldn't get away from thinking "apple". Someone mentioned that this was undeniably red fruit, and I agree. It's very familiar too, and with my nose stuck to my wrist I think, "does this have patchouli or cedar?" but I just don't know. It's really the lab's Mandrake with high-pitched fruit, which mellows onto your skin as a woodsy, earthy mandrake and ground fruit. It's bizarre and lovely... I might end up stalking the forum to see if I can collect some more of these screamers!

In the imp, it smells like a coconut, light floral. On, the screaming begins! It's a peppery-rooty note, that completely takes over for a while. Then it subsides, and just adds a bitter, grounding note to the blend. I really can't take the screaming phase, but I like it in the imp. And the imp art IS adorable!

Woo! This imp really screams when I put it on. In the imp it's more earthy/woodsy, but man once it got on my wrist it started screaming like an evil Sweet-tart. I am pretty sure it's apple but maybe with grapefruit as well. After maybe 2 hours it calmed down enough for me to smell woods and a little coconut. Very intense, fun little imp.

Woo, this is such a sweet scent! Just when I think it's very definitely apples, then it reminds me of March Hare and I think it's probably apricot. Whatever the fruit is, I don't think it's a berry. I don't smell much root in it, to be honest, just something faintly earthy. Not like dirt, but drier than that. Smells like a very dry, light-colored wood, like oak or something. It has a little bit of creaminess in it too -- could be coconut? I'm not sure. If so, it's good and subtle.

Too bad I like this so much and I only have a wee little bit of it.

straight sniff from imp is fruity and earthy...

once applied i get a lot of peach and strong cedar notes...very interesting...

this has great wear-length for me yet stays close to the skin...

it is an honor and a privilege to own an imp of this :P

Jicama and maybe something slightly woody. There might possibly be cedar or coconut in it...maybe, but, to me it has the juicyness and the woody skin of a jicama. Do they even sell jicama essential oil?

Drying, it smells slightly like there might be chili pepper on that jicama. A very very slight amount.

Jicama is a large brown root with crisp white flesh that I often peel and slice into sticks for dipping into ranch or onion dip. It has a rougher texture than a turnip, more water content(I think) and doesn't really taste anything like a turnip. It can be about that size, or larger, depending on the jicama and the turnip. Jicama is slightly sweet, refreshing and crisp. Rooty fruit indeed. =)

*sniffs arm again* Yeah. Jicama.

In the imp: cedar shavings.

Wet: cherries + cedar.

Drydown: cherries + cedar.

I get, on application, a coconut husk to this. Coconut and earthiness. It dries to a woodsy earthy scent.

Not my kind of deal at all, but it was interesting to try!

I love the artwork and the trading card that comes with this <3. The card says: "What a terrible sound these things make! How can it be that a plant screeches so? Truly, this is the weed of ill-omen." The artwork with the three little leafy-headed roots with their mouths wide open is too cute. The scent itself is also lovely. Screaming Mandragora is my favorite fragrance of the Wunderkammer set. :P

In the imp, this smells wooden, warm, dry, and slightly sweet. It reminds me of coconut husk. I also get a tang of something fruity underneath the strong woodsy note, and it smells sort of like red fruit punch.

On my skin at first, the woodsy aspect of this amps up even more. It smells like coconut husk, maybe some sandalwood and/or dry cedar, and a hint of black cherry. The fruitiness starts off a bit tart on me, but dries down to a gorgeous, clean smell.

After fifteen minutes, this smells like coconut husk and a fantastic, clean cherry (almost like cherry shampoo, but not soapy, just clean and gorgeous). Wet cherries against dry, golden, sweet woods.

Half hour in, it's still reminding me of coconut husk and clean cherry, but there's a creamy sweetness to it as well, like creamed coconut or vanilla on my skin.

This is really gorgeous, and I love how it plays out on my skin. It's all very soft and muted on me, though. It doesn't have much throw. It disappears entirely on me after about an hour. It's the sort of scent that I want to slather on and reapply, so I'm sad that I can't get a full bottle.

Imp: a little fruity..a little woody

Wet on Me: still a little fruity, still a little woody, dark

Drying Down: This is a witch’s greenhouse. A little woody, a little fruit and a little green over the dark.

Dry: This smells like a cedar chest one might have used to store dried herbs used in spells. Dark, lovely, warm and comforting to my nose.

Screaming Mandragora

In the imp: a lovely fruity scent, backed up by earthy Mandrake-like woods.

Wet on skin: peach! Yes, peach! And woodsiness.

Dry on skin: delicious fruity peach, sweet and fuzzy and ripe, lying on freshly sawn cedar plank. I know some reports say that the fruit note here is mango, but I think it’s peach. There may be some other fruits here too (maybe mango as there’s a slight tropical fruit scent). the woodsy note is very similar to Mandrake, a grey and earthy cedar, but there may also be some sandalwood here. This reminds me a combination of the Cup of Death and Cupid Complaining, the woodsy peach blossom from Cup of Death, meets the peach and sandalwood from Cupid Complaining.

After a while: the intense woodsy scent fades away, leaving behind the prettiest sweet peach scent. I never knew that mandrake could smell like peach. I wonder if this emulates the fruit of the plant as opposed to the root. It’s very sweet and bright, a happy scent, and it doesn’t scream on my skin, it’s actually quite gentle.

I’m very surprised at how creamy this scent becomes at drydown. Almost like peaches and cream. I’m sure there’s a touch of vanilla here. Maybe also a white musk note. not too much wood at this point, maybe a hint of sandalwood.

Verdict: this smells different to what I expected! I was expecting something like Mandrake-dirty rooty woods. But this is actually really fruity, it smells like an earthy peach! It’s very nice, a juicy fruity peach note with wood at the back, something like cedar or teak, with a hint of something rooty. But overall, this is peachy. And it turns surprisingly creamy at drydown too, sweetening and warming up, but still staying peachy. I have a little tester of this one and that’s all I need, as I have other peach scents I prefer, but this is a lot nicer than I thought it would be.

Emoticon rating: :D

Is it a keeper? I’ll cherish my sniffie of it.

Sniffing imp, it's woodsy fruit.

On my skin, the wood note is a bit overwhelming at first. Smells like strong cedar on my skin, but there is something sweet in there too. I can't pinpoint the fruit note, but it's there. Maybe peach?

Interesting and worth having an imp of, but nothing I will reach for very often.

Screaming Mandragora

Snap Judgements: I got a testable sniffie of this from a decant circle, which is cool because I wasn't sure if I'd ever get to try it! I have no initial judgements, since the notes are a complete mystery.

In the Bottle: Okay yeah, this blend does its name proud. Yikes, it nearly knocked me over when I opened it! It's intense, slap-you-in-the-face fruit. Very, very sharp.

Wet: I get mostly coconut here. It smells really tropical to me, like a very rich pina colada. It's also wafting a little BO-ish, which is usually what happens with my chemistry when a scent has a cedar in it.

Dry: This blend becomes very warm and creamy on the drydown, and I can finally appreciate the earthiness. I agree with previous reviewers: it now smells like some coconut husk has been mixed in with the fruit.

Final Thoughts: This one takes you on a wild ride! It makes me laugh, because it really feels like the imp is screaming and screaming at first, and then runs out of steam and settles down. :lol: Screaming Mandragora isn't overly complex, but it captures the intended concept very well. I won't be seeking this one out, as I'm not a fan of tropical scents or cedar, but I'm glad I got the opportunity to try it!

In the Imp (ITI): It's fruity, succulent, and slightly earthy, like dirt and lychee, maybe.

Wet: It's still earthy and fruity, but the fruit really is a pale fruit for me. It strikes me as slightly tropical.

Dry: After 12 hours, I can't really detect anything. After reapplication, it's light and airy -coconut, certainly. It's so pretty.

Underneath the squirt of mango juice onto a mound of unearthed roots, this smells very...bodily...like cedar or cumin can do. I love, love, love it! If you do not have the pleasure of obtaining any, and are craving such a filthy scent, try Depraved.

I was lucky enough to receive an imp of this with my Goblin Grab Barrel from the Trading Post. Thanks Goblins!

Wet: Fruity and rooty! Really interesting. I'm getting more of an apricot vibe (which I love!) than mango. It's reminding me of Depraved with roots instead of patchouli. I love it. Loooove it.

Dry: This is very much akin to Depraved on me. There's something warm and a little naughty about this. If it was offered in a bottle, I would buy it. Juicy stone fruit (still think it's apricot), dirty woods (dirty in a good way) and something a little bit primal. I'll enjoy this imp.

I got a frimp with my Trading Post purchase.

What I get from this one is pear. A very sweet and juicy one, but still with that sharp pear-y note, which is what I imagine where "root" component comes from. There are some hints of standard powdery sweet drydown peeking behind it as time goes on.

Not for me, but it was an interesting experience. Never ran into a clean pear note before.

Horrible for me. ): I don't know if mine is formulated differently or what. Nothing sweet at all. I'm not great at picking out smells, but it's very woody, musky patchouli-y to me. No thank you!

This is really weird on me. Fruity and woody. Kind of filthy. I have no idea what the notes are except maybe apricot?