Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Water of Notre Dame

Brings peace to the spirit, a sense of calm and fulfillment, and attracts the aid of beneficial spirits.

Imp: Green and pleasant, but not particularly strong or identifiable.

Wet: Soap. I mean, immediately upon touching my skin, it went scented deodorant soap on me (think Irish Spring).

Drydown: I'm defining drydown as "the five minutes it took me to get into the bathroom and find the alcohol" - overwhelming nauseating soap. My husband said, as I ran past, "I didn't know we had Irish Spring around. I thought you hated that stuff."

1 hour: Unfortunately, alcohol and (real) soap haven't done much to cut it. I still reek of deodorant soap and feel distinctly UNcalm, which annoys me because I have a major doctor's appointment and was hoping that WoND would help me sail through that with peace and calm.

Verdict: Absolutely not for me, sadly, as I would wear nothing but Beth's aquatics if I could. Wish I knew what the offending note was so I could stay away. Probably should have put on Szepasszony instead.

Stolen from my mummy. :P

In the Imp: Mmmm. Clean and watery and aquatic and a teensy bit floral-citrussy. A powdery blue colour, in my head. Maybe some tangerine? Maybe a teensy bit of violet? I really can't tell. It's lovely, though, very soft and comforting.

Wet: Soooooaaaaap ahoy! Soap and lily or something like it, and a faint dab of orange or tangerine. Nice soap, though, and, after all, with the Voodoo blends, it's not just about scent. I'm already in quite a good mood, but I'm tense, too (and have cramps)-- and the smell of this is very relaxing. Brilliant!

I have what I think is a guardian spirit, whom I'll actually see out of the corners of my eye occasionally. This blend sort of reminds me of him, which is good, since I haven't seen him lately and sort of miss him.

Dry: Soap-powder, but pleasant, oh so pleasant and calming. I... sort of feel like I'm melting, but being buoyed up at the same time. It's very nice. I'm reeeeaally relaxed, which is exactly what I needed. Even my cramps aren't as bad. And I'm sort of lazy smiley. Good show, Water of Notre Dame, good show. Now, have I got time for a nap?

[edit] This one knocked me on my ASS. I slept from right after until I finished the review until the scent was almost gone. Then I woke up and was fine. Definitely can't wear this while driving!

Edited by WidgetAlley

In the vial, this one had a rather sharpish-soapy smell. On me, it is also very soapy until drydown, then it settles into something that can really only be described as "watery" - like fresh spring water strewn with just a few flower petals. A gorgeously soft yet longlasting fragrance - and it does seem to make me calm smelling it. Will have to try a little more before I decide whether or not to put it on my bottle list, but it's definitely very nice.

ETA: Hm, if I apply it after a shower or if I am sweating a lot while wearing it, it kinda turns to hairspray on me... I'm not quite sure it likes me very much, after all

Edited by Diva Urd

Water of Notre Dame is a pretty rose floral with possibly some lily in it and it definitely has a strong aqua scent. On my skin, it smells exactly like it does in the vial. It’s fresh, clean, floral and very soothing. The scent creates a soft veil of fragrance around me that's very feminine and calming. It fades fairly quickly and need to be reapplied several times throughout the course of the day.

Water of Notre Dame smells weird on me. Not unpleseant but very aquitic, and some how salty, it really smells like tears on me it's so weird. I don't know but I don't dislike it it's strangly comforting but at the same time a little sad. Or that's just how it feels on me.

It does it's job though it really soothes your nerves when you need it. Maybe almost two well because wearing it made me want to curl up and take a long nap.

This smells just overwhelmingly soapy on me. I can see how it would be calming, but right now it's crossing the border into the "perfumey" (which usually means headache-inducing, for me) category. I may test it out again, and will edit if it does anything different.

Edited to add: Tested it again, and if anything, it was even more soapy and headache inducing this time. I just can't wear this one.

Edited by maijasu

This is kind of aquatic, with tons of lilies. It's ever so slightly soapy, too. I wear it as perfume, and I have found that it does make me feel a bit better.

To me, it smells like sweet flowers and water.

Wearing this, it does make me feel much more calm, and mellow. ^^

What on earth is it that I am smelling in this blend? It reminds me of the way my grandfather's yard smelled and looked around his adorable tiny little pond, is that because of the aquatic notes? It is citrus? When reading the reviews, I can almost detect the rose or violet or melon that other people mention, but they're presented in such a gender neutral manner that I don't recognize them. It's a great scent, but I can't describe it at all. I'd call it bluer than green, though. WoND is the color of Monet's water paintings.

If there's a huge throw on this one like people say, it doesn't seem like it would be a problem because it's fresh and inoffensive -- not excessively feminine or perfumey. Also, I can see how some could draw a connection to the scent of soap or detergent or other cleaning products and object, but it seems wearable to me.

Water of Notre Dame-

In Bottle: Herbal and floral.

Wet: Ooh, this is sharp and strong. Smells almost an aquatic. Eye-watering.

Dry: Oh, dear, this is not working for me. It's going sour and rotten-incensey and I'm about to go wash it off.

Overall: Not for me.

In the imp: strong aquatic floral, not as strong as Sea of Glass but up there.

Initial application: oof, the flowers are really amping, I'm not good at identifying notes, but it seems like it might be a lily or rose scent.

Drydown: once it calms it's actually pretty nice. The floral softens somewhat and gets a bit soapy. Very strong throw, I don't expect I'll need to reapply this today. It reminds me, in a good way, of some of the lotions and scents my grandmother used to use. Since thinking about my late grandmother does bring me a certain level of peace, I guess it's working.

Smiley rating: :P

Definitely a calming sort of blend. Not in a lavender knock you out sort of way, but in a cool, green, center yourself and focus sort of way. There is a small faint floral note to it as well... perhaps a violet. The drydown really saved this one for me. I liked it well enough but not enough to keep it until the violets peeked out. I'll keep the imp around but don't really see myself buying a full bottle in the future.

I love aquatics and this was one Voodoo scent I wanted to love.

In the imp: Green aquatic

On Skin: Very green, very sharp aquatic

Drydown: Still very aquatic but I get a very aromatic floral out of it that makes me think "peony" or something along those lines.

After a while, it smells very clean and soapy.

Verdict: It actually reminds me to a soap that used to be made in Peru. I remember it because it was the kind that we used in the beach and I remember lathering up with it. I like aquatics but I can't take the soapy quality. Boo. :P

Water of Notre Dame

In the imp: a slightly greenish-floral-aquatic scent. Very unusual but pleasant so far.

Wet on skin: rose! Now I smell a watery rose scent, maybe some lavender, among the green aquatics.

Dry on skin: this is nice. It smells like a garden of wet flowers. Raindrops on roses, as the song says, is the predominant scent here, but I also get other, whiter floral notes and some green leaves, some herbs, and a soapy-medicinal undertone to it all which I think is High John, as it reminds me of that oil. Unfortunately I'm not so keen on this sharp soapy scent which is getting in the way of the lovely wet roses and mushed up grasses that I smell. (The rose and green herbs scent here reminds me of Venus.)

After a while: oh dear. No more dewy roses. It now smells like cheap soap. Like the stuff that comes in pump dispensers in public toilets. it's a waxy floral with a weird chemical undertone. the roses cling on for dear life and a little lily of the valley shows up, but it's public toilet soap all the way.

Verdict: this started out ok, but I really don't like what this scent turns into. At first it's wet roses and white flowers and leaves and grass with a pretty aquatic note. however there was that soapy-chemical undertone reminiscent of High John the Conqueror, and then this took over the scent, consuming all the nicer notes and turning this scent into pure soap on me. I smell like a public loo, a clean one thankfully, but that soapy floral scent is not something I like at all. I didn’t notice anything particular happening in way of effects. So this is a definite swap for me.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No.

Aquatic and citrussy, at first sniff. The citrus in it smells like bitter orange, not at all sweet, but clear and refreshing. The aquatic in it is not oceany, but more like a lake or a pond in the heat of summer, with steam radiating off it in the sunlight. As it dries down, the citrus scent blends into the background and a lush floral comes out with the aquatics. I can smell magnolia, jasmine, rose, maybe some honeysuckle, and some plumeria. After a couple of hours though, the aquatic and floral go away, and it smells like a powdery old lady scent. Not a fan of smelling like an old lady. I will use up my bottle for the voodoo properties, but it's not something I would like to smell like. But it does put me in a state of calm, and it helps me to sleep when I'm having a restless night. It's not something I would wear in public however, because the throw is huge on this perfume. Pleasant, but not a favorite.

When I smelled this in the imp I got a fresh green floral scent, with a hint of the aquatic. It completely changed when I put it on, I did not expect the violet to come out so strong. Lucky for me I love violets! There is still a bit of the greenness and the Aquatic but only hints of it. It is very strong and a little bit goes a long way. I can’t decide if I need a whole bottle of this or not.

very very pale, clear, watery green scent. i cant make out the notes except aquatics and herbs, maybe some sort of floral? unfortunately, something in this turns sour on my skin. i imagine it could be beautiful on the right person though.

In bottle: Sweet lush green (both leaves and florals)

Wet: Much as in the bottle only more open. And very, very tranquil.

Dry: Getting greener and stronger and mintier as it dries.

Later: Eventually becomes a damp white floral. Still lovely.

Summary: *beatific smile* This is one I like a lot and will put on my big bottle list :-)

:P

Clean, watery, and lightly floral. Smells like springtime.

It's aquatic-like in that it's watery, but it doesn't smell like salty ocean water or like ozone like aquatics usually do. This is much, much softer. It's watery like dew. Sweet and lovely.

I'm really glad this is not sharp or green or too strong on me like it is on other reviewers. Maybe because my imp is about a year old? I don't know what the reason is, but on me it's so soft... it smells like a cloud.

Really beautiful.

Aquatic with a bite. The smell is a bright green color. Without the bite, it would be downright swampy/murky. A happier "Bayou". Just a little goes a LONG way. Great for Spring, summer, or Fall, but doesn't strike me as a wintry scent. It's murky without being dirty. Very happy with this smell. Will have to keep trying it to decide if I love it enough to get a big bottle, especially since it's so strong. A second imp, for sure though.

It's hard to believe that I haven't reviewed Water of Notre Dame yet, I've used up almost a whole bottle. WoND really helps me when I know that I'm going to be doing something that makes me anxious. It helps me feel calm. The scent is clean and rosy and I quite like it.

Usually I really like these sorts of scents, but there was something a bit off in it for me. When I first smelled it, I just thought, water. There's a water note - but something specific obviously because water doesn't really have a smell. It was almost like there was something chemical to it - it makes me think of the way an aquarium smells. In fact, there's almost the hint of a fish smell about it. On me, it got a little more perfumey, it's a nice fragrance, but still really makes me think of a fish store.

Recently I've gotten the same strange water note from Dragon Moon and Y'han'thlei. It could be something weird about me, heh.

As soon as I applied this, I found it to be very calming. The first thing I did was take a deep breath, and it felt pretty good. It is soft and aquatic and reminds me of a pond with lily pads that my Grandfather built in his yard. It had goldfish and frogs in it and I used to sit and watch it for hours. Butterflies would come and land on the lilies and other tropical plants that were planted there. It was always so calming and relaxing. That is what Water of Notre Dame reminds me of, a calm, utterly relaxing day.

It's hard to believe I haven't reviewed this yet, as it may very well be my favorite Voodoo Blend of the current catalogue. The violets float on top of the rosy seas, and I am floating in blue. Just a whiff from an imp calms me down like nothing else. It's amazing! Talk about your aromatherapy. I hope this one is always in stock.