Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Water of Notre Dame

Brings peace to the spirit, a sense of calm and fulfillment, and attracts the aid of beneficial spirits.

at first: sort of astringent-smelling.
on: very calming. i'm getting green and blue from this, but...i can't pick out any notes. there may be a touch of lotus, but i'm not sure.
1 hour later: soapy.
3 hours later: soft and powdery.
overall: this is very indistinct, but it does a good job at making me feel calm.

When I first read the reviews I thought, oh! Green and aquatic! That sounds lovely! I'll get one of those. But maybe I don't know what the heck a green or aquatic is supposed to smell like, or maybe they don't like me.

I put a LOT on. :P It's not too overpowering to me, but I really wanted to smell it w/o putting my nose to my wrist all the time. (er, not that that has really stopped me :D ) This has a good throw.

In the bottle: Tangerine with something in the background.

Wet: Still tangerine, but a tiny bit tarter.

Dry: It warms up, but also tarts up a bit. Not an unpleasant thing. It soaps up a some, but not terribly so. Husband says it smells soapy too.

30 minutes: I think I finally smell a little Violet and it may be starting to powder some. Still a tiny bit of citrus in the background.

1 hour: Wafting more violet and soap, still citrus close to skin.

1.5 hours later: Mostly violet. A bit more powdery. Nice.

It does do it's job and calms me down, I was having a particularly hormonal day and I do feel a bit better.

It should be said that Lightning did the same yellow/citrus thing to me too, and it was supposed to be aquatic too. :D :D

Edited by Mary Mayhem

This mostly smells powdery to me. I can see where the green comes from--it smells quite remniscent of Come to Me, a rather herbal and soapy scent, but with more powder. I'm not sure if this is calming, since I had just decided not to try to write a long paper by tomorrow before I'd put this on and I'm not very good at discerning if voodoo oils have any effect on me.

Whatever is in this, it's evil magicks work.

It fades fast but does the trick. It soothes me, and that isn;t easy. I am a Pisces so if you heat my water expect shark-like attack Mr. Pistoffolees Style!

Wet On Skin: As soon as this touches my skin it starts working its calming ju ju. I can't tell what the notes are expressly. Herby and kind of talcumish.

Drydown: The scent is swallowed up by my skin and gone almost immediately. Appropos enough so is my stress.

Huh, is that carnation? Some faintly spicy floral on top of a blue-green, watery. herbal note.

This is a very unique scent that I can't really describe--but it does smell like water! Not ocean, stream, or lake water, but rather like man-made pond water. Domestic water, if that makes sense!

I haven't really gotten to analyze the actual scent of this, and I'll try it out again and update this. but I so wanted to share my experience with this oil.

in its description, it says it attracts beneficiary spirits right?

Today I went to take my last final. I seriously haven't slept in two days because I've been studying so much and have been so stressed. I took my final and did pretty well and I was feeling pretty good and couldn't wait to get home and start catching up on my z's.

My brother is off from school, and he said he would be home alone all day, so I didn't bring my keys, or my phone or my wallet, and I didn't even bother to put socks on before I slipped into my sneakers. I know, stupid me, but all I was thinking about was this final. And after the final, the semester would be over.

So I get home and my brother isn't home. I am locked out of the house and it is around 10 or 15 degrees out. can't open any windows, as they are all locked. so I go to the neighbor's house to use the phone and she isn't there. I walk all around the entire neighborhood to try and find someone home, and no one is home.

and because I didn't have socks on, my feet were beginning to get really cold.

After about two hours, my feet were completely numb with no pain or anything. I couldn't feel them and I started to panic. I started crying because I was so scared I had frostbite and it was the middle of the day and my parents wouldn't be home until much much later. and I was so cold.

after about 15 minutes of instinctually checking all the windows and even trying to pry the storm door off its hinges, I gave up and I sat down on the steps and began to pray. to no one in particular, to just let some neighbor come home so I could warm up in their house at least.

I checked the mail and I had gotten a package, a swap from another forum member. at that point I didn't care about anything but getting my feet warm, because I could hardly walk. but I opened it out of boredom and took out Water of Notre Dame, and for some reason, without even thinking, I put it on under my chin and smelled it. literally two seconds after I put it on, I heard my neighbor's car door slam closed. she let me in, made me tea, gave me fleece socks and let me sit next to her heater.

I was amazed. I definitely learned my lesson. and I will only use this blend when I really need to!

Forget that bald man in the white shirt in the household-cleaner ads.

This is liquid clean.

It's bright, clear, and not glassy-smelling; more like really cold water, with some greenery.

In terms of its intended applications: Before I put WoND on, I was on the verge of getting canned by my employer and dropped like a hot potato by my union.

I put it on and took a deep breath.

By the end of that day, I was not only assured of my present employment, but was directed toward the possibility of another, less-maddening position, and I was unflappable and zen-like.

This is marvellous stuff. It's not a scent I would wear for perfume, because it smells a bit like soap on me- okay, so a lot like soap on me- but when I really need some peace, I will definitely bust this out.

I got an imp of Water of Notre Dame, along with several other nice smellies, in the mail on Thursday. It was a nice thing, seeing as how Thursday had been my suckiest day of the new year thus far. I'd stayed home sick for a half day with a nasty headache and had gone in for an equally nasty half-day of work. The headache came with a side of nausea, so I was wary of trying any new scents. I remembered that a reviewer on LJ had said that WoND was headache bane, so I went ahead and tried it. I couldn't isolate any notes in particular right off, but it gave me the impression of nice hotel soap. The floral kind with scalloped edges. The scent stayed the same even with dry-down.

About half an hour after applying the scent, I left home to go to a lecture. I was in a rotten mood still, which wasn't helped because my husband was running late and I thought we'd be late. In spite of that, my headache seemed to ease as I kept sniffing my wrists. We arrived at the lecture site and couldn't find any non-restricted parking. I drove around looking for a spot where I wouldn't get a ticket and gave up eventually. I took a spot right near the entrance, and my husband and I started walking towards the entryway. I got about 15 feet from the car when I spotted something by my left foot. It was a wad of cash - three twenties and two tens. I waited for several minutes, but no one came to claim it. I left a note with the university's lost and found service, but no one has called, either. I'm officially considering the money to be mine at this point.

I'm sure this wasn't what WoND was intended for, but I give my thanks to the beneficial spirits. I'll keep using my imp, with great respect for it.

ETA: I'm wearing this scent again today, and it has grown on me even more. I think this has honey in it. Honey and I usually don't get along, but this is a watery-smelling note, rather than full-on honey. It smells like honey melted into a cup of hot chamomile tea. In addition, there's something plant-y (I know, really precise :P ) - it makes me think of a tall lily with a thick stem that's been split, with phloem spilling out. I think I need more of this.

Edited by terrierhead

Before you read this, please be aware that I was born of aliens, raised by wolves, and thus react strangely to a surprising number of everyday things. My experience with Water of Notre Dame is a case in point.

1st try - Intense and dizzying. I have to wash it off. I’ll try again some other time, using less.

2nd try - I wanted to compare WND to Dove’s Heart, so tried again, using about a drop. WND is a watery green floral, which I ordinarily like, so I don’t understand what exactly is bothering me about it. It is still a little strong (feels kind of aggressive) and has great throw (which makes me wonder if I reek).

20 minutes later: I notice a sense of calm, even though I am still feeling that irritation whenever I notice the scent wafting past my nose – warring responses, hmmm…

An hour later: I am stoned! I feel really, really, really relaxed. My tongue is even a little numb. I am thinking, “Oh, wow! This is a great tranquilizer – maybe I should keep it for medicinal purposes.” I wonder if, with all the relaxedness, my blood pressure has actually dropped. I test to see, and find exactly the opposite has occurred. My eyeballs should have popped out and be rolling around on the floor at this reading. :P I am still remarkably relaxed, though.

I have the presence of mind to thoroughly wash off. No further damage. :D Whew!

I conclude that I am allergic to one or more ingredients in WND. (I should have trusted my nose.)

This one will go up for trade – I’m sure someone with a more standard human body chemistry can put it to good use.

strong and green powdery floral with the slightest hint of something

citrus or lemony...somehow a bit astringent....

after awhile the scent is still going and going....think->energizer bunny :P

i really love this voodoo blend.....it reacts perfectly with my chemistry and

warrants a big bottle purchase :D :D

In the vial: Ooh, aquatic. Smells blue-ish green.

Wet on me: Powdery aquatic (is there such a thing?). And if you inhale closely, citrusy, like lemon rind.

Drydown: Very fresh, clean smelling and a bit tart.

Verdict: Lovely aquatic and quite relaxing. I'll be keeping the imp.

Edited by mandragora

I needed this, I really did.

This is a wondrously calming scent. Warm and citrusy- the predominant impression I get from the scent is not *scent*, oddly, but colour: green and gold, like warm summer sunlight dappling a lush lawn and vibrant green leaves.

I'm not in any fit state to give any more coherent impression than that, unfortunately. It's sweetly, gently calming, and it's precisely what I need right now.

First Impression: Aquatic floral. Rose? Iris? Violet?

Dries down to: Much the same - quite soft and pretty. Then, rose really asserts herself and after about 1/2 an hour turns totally soapy.

Additional Comments: I thought this was going to be a pleasant surprise - a rose that didn't try to scratch my eyes out - but, alas, it was not to be; she just took a while to satisfy her need to torture me. Such a shame because the first fifteen minutes was wonderful.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 2 out of 5

citrusy and green at first, with roses appearing after drydown. a refreshing scent, i suppose, but i can’t vouch for its effectiveness. the first time i wore it, i got so stressed out that i left work early, in tears. that had never happened before. so i’ve been understandably hesitant about wearing it again. :P

i should add that i'm not a fan of citrus scents, so maybe that didn't help my mood.

Heavy, somewhat sharp white musk over deodorant flowers. A dab rubbed between both wrists will last you a good chunk of the day. It's a peaceful scent, yes, and it's tangible enough that it gives you something to hold on to -- a big, white handle carved from a solid balm -- but it's simply too strong and hardly compelling enough to get at my feelings.

Water of Notre Dame

3/14/06

Wet: Smells fresh like rain and water. A little like cucumbers even. I don’t love it, but I don’t hate it.

Dry: Doesn’t change much. On the downside, it makes my eyes burn a little. On the upside, it smells pretty good and has decent throw. I’m going to try this again and see if it grows on me.

Later: Ew, dries down to smell just like soap. I’ll try this one again but I’m not hopeful.

This is wet, but it's not aquatic like, say, Sea of Glass, which is good since aquatics and I don't get along. It's not sea spray, it's mist, it's big drops of morning dew glistening on peonies. It's the scent of an ice-cold stream, a pale aqua veil. I can't pick out any individual notes--it's floral but not heady, fresh but not herbal, sweet but not fruity.

When I lived in Portland, I'd get up early and walk around campus in the thick morning fog, walk past the reflecting pond to the rose garden, onto the forest trails, enveloped by mist. It was my morning meditation and my favorite part of the day. That's what WoND smells like, like peace and beauty and cool damp air.

It makes me think of soap even though it doesn't go soapy. It's just clean and tranquil, the surface of a pond.

Can you tell I'm a little bit in love with it? This, to me, is the perfect Piscean scent. I put it on before I took a nap and dreamed of angels--not the sort of clichéd idea of angels as attractive women with white wings, but real angels, celestial beings that I can't even describe they were so beautiful and splendid and awe-inspiring. This has moved to my big bottle list, knocking even the next lunacy update out of the top spot.

Aquatic, soapy, something of the sweetness of Szepasszony and also for some reason cucumbers. Very subtle, almost the smell of a classy deodorant or some sort of confusing beauty product for application to the face.

Pleasant, but not something I'd particularly want to wear myself. Slightly sneezy, as Dirty was.

Orange peel, like bergamot or neroli maybe. A light rose, lilies? Not getting the violets others have mentioned. Fresh, calming, and smelling of a really good florist's. Ladylike, a lady of a certain age, a grande dame but not a granny.

In the bottle: Definitely something aquatic about the scent, and definite citrus scents as well. Smella bit like cleaning fluid.

Wet: Smells like lemon lysol to me. Vaguely refreshing but...sort of chemically, which I know it isn't but that's what's registering in my brain.

Dry: Well, the scent has changed a lot. No more sharp chemical smell and even most of the citrus is done. But now it smells like some. Fresh and clean but definitely soap. Noe a bad scent, but one I can actually get from simply taking a shower.

Overall, it smells like fresh soap. Nice soap, but soap none the less. I think this'll have to go into the swap pile.

A gentle, pleasant aquatic. A touch of citrus and sweet mown grass. But if I had to choose one white floral aquatic as my favorite, this would lose to The Lady of Shalott.

This smells exactly like violet candies. It's lovely, but not my style. There's green in there, but mostly I smell watery florals.

A very strong, powdery violet. Though this definitely has an aquatic element to it, I get less of a sense of water than I do with other aquatic blends like Amsterdam. This is more of a 19th century ladies' room with violet scented powder on the vanity table, overlooking the garden where there is a pond, and fresh violets waving in the breeze. I like it a lot, despite the powderness. It really is a calming scent, and something that will be good on days where I'm too hyped up to center myself and get to work. It is very powerful, and a small amount will give a good throw for a long time!

bottle:

calming floral - little watery

wet:

really like this, smells a little like lily of the valley/tulips

dry:

yeah this reminds me of church with flowers!

overall:

I normally wouldn't like a floral this strong, but I really do like it!

rating: 8/10