Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Water of Notre Dame

Brings peace to the spirit, a sense of calm and fulfillment, and attracts the aid of beneficial spirits.

As soon as I read the description for this, I knew I had to try it. I need all of the peace, calm, and beneficial aid I can get! I was just hoping it would smell pretty too.

Initial Impression: Straight from the imp this smells very light, watery or water-like, with a hint of flowers.

On Wet: It's a delicate floral over aquatics. It smells just like flowers floating on water. It has a very Ophelia feeling about it. Light, romantic. It also reminds me of those old fashioned hair tonics without the lavender.

On Dry: The aquatics fade and are replaced with a more powdery smell. The flowers are still there.

Final Impression: This is a very pretty, delicate scent. I don't usually go for that, but it did make me feel calm and relaxed even when I was running late for an appointment (I really hate being late and usually stress out a lot), so this is a definite keeper.

Rating (on a scale of 1 to 5): 3.5. 3 for the scent, 4 for what it does. Edited by Shollin

This is a strong, strong blend that smells in the imp and on my skin like rose water with potent throw and lasting power.

Imp: water, but slightly citrus with something else

Wet: Reminiscent of a cleaning product and Oxy pads. I get something fruity sweet in the background, but not enough to help the rest.

Dry: I get the water feel, but the overall scent isn't really doing anything for me.

In bottle/imp: A light green scent, but sweet.

Immediately on skin: It’s very green and aquatic, but not heavy at all. It’s strong, but wafting. When I sniff it, it fills my head with the scent. I smell some violet, but it isn’t overly sweet. It blends nicely with the green notes. I keep on wanting to sniff my wrist where I put it on!

After a few minutes: This has softened up, but it's absolutely gorgeous. It's very aquatic with a crisp green note and sweet violets wafting underneath it. It's very calming.

Later on: This is still very green, with a very light sweet violet note. I really like this blend and the effect on me definitely makes it bottle-worthy!

WoND is a delightfully light green aquatic splashed with rose. It has a bit of an odd note, perhaps the melon, that reminds me of my handsoap. It is rather calming. It may not be bottle worthy, but I will cherish my imp.

First off to my nose, it's a straight-up aquatic. Not particularly rain-ish or marine-y, just a pure cool water note. Not very strong, but I've got this one more as a good luck charm than for fragrance anyway.

After the drydown, this turns into a very soft, powdery rose which is quite gentle and pretty. Even rose-haters could probably handle this (heck, I'm not even sure it *is* rose; just reminds me of it!)

As for the effects on my spirit, well, I'm feeling better now than I was earlier this evening, but not as peaced-out as I expected. I think the Wrath on my left arm might be messing with the good vibes. :P

To me, Water of Notre Dame was a lemony powdery dry rose scent, with a little incense, quite similar to Hymn (from memory). I didn't get any aquatic, just rose with maybe some frankincense in the background. I don't care for this kind of rose scent, and the rose note eventually started smelling a bit "off" on my skin, so I won't be able to wear this one. Regardless of any potential beneficial voodoo effects.

Water of Notre Dame conjures up images of wandering through the woods and meadow on a sparkling spring morning. The dew is heavy on the grass and the sun is painting the sky with a rosy glow. Tucked here and there in the hollows are patches of the most delicate violets. It's crisply cool and yet welcoming, and oh so clean and fresh.

I'm coming down off of what ended up being a fairly craptastic day - really tedious work constantly interrupted by petty client gripes & PitA manual insertions, hot funky weather, no a/c, a house that's rapidly getting away from us in terms of cleaning & upkeep, a toddler bent on destruction & pushing every last button today, and a major case of wanderlust... so to say I need this might be an understatement. I want the Water to wash it all away...

Ah. Violets. On a bed of melon & cucumber slices, with a little aloe drizzled over the top. This is indeed cool & refreshing, despite a hint of rosewater that's lurking & threatening to :P

The fact that I'm still at work is no doubt limiting how effective this is... but I do feel a bit more calm & able to let go the baggage of the day. I really want to put this in a big jar of aloe gel & keep it in the fridge for stinking hot days like this...

You know, I am usually not one for the aquatic scents (that note tends to always pop up and ruin almost all of the "usual" commercial department store perfumes on me) but this is soothing. Sometimes it goes a little soapy, but if I add a little Squirting Cucumber it is very nice and cool.

I'll keep it and use it for smellies and peace.

This is pretty much straight up violets on me. On initial application there's a sweet, crisp water note, but it fades quickly and just leaves behind the scent of soft, powdery violet. As I'm not a huge fan of violet when it's not noticeably blended with something else, I can't really comment on it's calming effect.

There's something way too green and aquatic about this on me and it's giving me a bit of a headache.

(1 hour later...now I'm getting less sharpness and a little bit of soft flowers. Still not too great for the headache though. Maybe it'll have some other effect while I sleep.)

In imp, Water of Notre Dame is light and bright - almost citrus-y, but not really, with a hint of resin-y / wood-y ness. (Hurray for vagueness!!)

Wet, on my skin, there is something very soothing about this - very light, maybe something floral way back.

Once it dries, it's very soft and light - there's something I recognize here, but I can't put my finger on it.

I like this one; it's very soothing and peaceful, much as I expected. :-)

Tea roses, among other things. It's very comforting, sort of... lavender (the color, not the fragrance).

My main complaint about this scent is that it's too long lasting. I put it on in the morning, and I can still smell it at 9 at night, and it starts to give me a headache by then.

It's very nice, but it's not for me.

the 'water' based blends don't seem to agree with my nose, but i will try anything BPAL once, so here goes (fingers crossed)

in the imp: LOVELY! a beautiful mix of something aqua and violet, which is my personal favorite floral in the world.

wet on skin: more of the same, with the violet coming out in front by just a hair.

dry down: the water aspect is gone and the violet is now mixed with the tiniest amount of lavender. it's soothing, pleasant and lovely.

in all: a floral i can dance with, i'd wear this one to my wedding, a night walking on the beach, or any place else where romance ala "Room With A View" style might happen!

:P

I bought this one because I can be very anxious and worried and it sounded good.

I just put a dab on so I'm not sure how much effect it will have, but sniffing it does make me feel better- it smells like anointing oil my church uses! Except better! It's very clean and very pure to me, a little bit soapy but not too much. Not exactly floral, but definitely plants of some sort.

I'll have to try it more tomorrow- I need to go apply for a job. We'll see how it works there.

Edit: I asked my mom what she thought it smelled like and she said 'incense'. She's right, it smells exactly like some of the incense they use at church, not oil. It's very gorgeous- and I applied some before going LARPing and it was very effective. I was quite relaxed right up until it started and even then I got into the swing of things quickly.

Edited by Chloe K Evil

This smells like an elderly lady making a tuna sandwich heavy on the dill pickles, directly after church.

Not for me. So sad.

It's so funny, on my son... yes I know. This bloomed into a full and beautiful rose, though more of a peony than a rose. Wish it smelled like that on me. Florals usually love me so. Not fair.

Edited by Elvena

In Vial: fresh green lovely with a hint of green

Wet: Sweeter, powdery, a hint of something that smells like lemon

Drydown: Powdery, soapy with a hint lemon

In the bottle: Strong florals with a hint of light citrus.

On: Intense peppery florals. Drys down to an all flower old lady perfume. Good throw.

Verdict: Goes all wrong on me, although it smells great just in the bottle.

In the bottle: Sugary florals. Hint of something aquatic and citrusy.

Wet: Very faint. Floral, fruity-citrusy, much more aquatic. Less sweet. Definitely some rose. The citrus is much stronger on my skin -smells sort of like white grapefruit to me, and/or lemon.

Dry: The citrus seems to be stronger, and has become slightly sour and bitter. I think there's some violet in this too.

Summary: Rosy-floral over slightly powdery citrus.

In the imp: aquatic, but still floral. sort of pale and seaweedy.

wet: wow, a lot stronger and lots of rose

30 minutes later: almost all I can smell is rose. the pale aquatic is all but entirely gone. there is something that adds a hint of green, but its very faint. nicely balanced though.

fortunately, I love rose. this scent is so relaxing and soothing, I'm already feeling less anxious and less stressed.

It's very citrusy on me, to the point where the citrus overpowers everything else. It smells like a cross between grapefruit and orange. Not what I was expecting, and unfortunately not very comforting (to me at least). I was really hoping for a green/floral aquatic... I think I'll hold onto the imp in case my skin chemistry changes.

Form: Free imp from the lab.

In the bottle and on its a faint floral scent while being aquatic as well. Its very lovely but I wasnt absolutly in love with it. Notre Dame did acomplish its purpose though and calmed be down drastically, helping me take poor, sad news better.

3/5 for scent but 5/5 for what it can do. So, 4/5

What a good choice for a calming scent. This does feel like I applyed purifying water to my skin-- albiet floral perfumed water. I've beeen in a horrible mood for the last day, but this seems to be doing the trick. I think I'll keep my imp around for calming purposes.