Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
savage_rose

Nanny Ashtoreth

Middle Eastern flowers, amber, honey, blood red-berries, whip leather, and polished paddle wood.

This blend is completely me. I definately get the leather but with a lovely sweetness that must be the berries and honey. There is a slight backdrop of a wonderfully incense-like wood way in the background. I smell like I could do anything (or anyone for that matter! :P ) As it develops on my skin the leather takes on a smokey quality and it just sweetens up the teeniest bit more.

Yeah. I'm hot in this one. I am in love!!

eta: A really hot thing to do is put Crowley on your partner and wear Nanny yourself. Good times... good times. Edited by Mamacat

Very lovely leather note in this, with an undercurrent of cologne with a slightly sweetish vibe. I don't get berry or honey here, and this is a little masculine for me but quite lovely all the same. I like the "cologne" note here and think it would smell lovely on a man!

In the Bottle

A wet, yummy combination of dry, crisp berries, and a hint of flowers, and a subtle, suede-like leather. It's ALMOST cologney. Almost.

On Me

What happened here? The leather-- GONE. There's wood popping out-- now I smell like tart woodiness, and florals-- rose and something else-- is there carnation hanging around?-- and that's it. The cologney smell has vanished entirely, and it's not at all unpleasant, just not what I expected. It's also very subtle, then again, I was wearing this when I had a cold, so I mightn't have picked up on the scent too well, but I reapplied it a few times.

My six-year-old son thinks it smells nice on me, though. :P

This is an interesting scent -- it's got an intriguing mix of traditionally feminine and mascluine notes. The leather/wood combo is at the base of a lot of men's scents, but here it's overlaid with a very feminine amber/berry/floral mix, giving the scent an oddly androgynous and sort of contradictory feel. A bit like a more femmey version of Loviatar.

I think it does capture the character pretty well, and honestly, this would be a great scent for a pro domme. It's a bit come-hither but with a definite don't-fuck-with-me undertone. Definitely would be an appropriate choice to wear to any sort of kink event, or anywhere else you want to make a very dominant impression.

It's not exactly my usual sort of scent, but it's not bad -- there are stages to it that I really like and stages I don't like as much. Haven't decided whether to keep my decant or not, but I'm glad I tried it, as it's definitely unique!

Grade: B

Edited by Miss Lynx

I thought that I would like Nanny Ashtoreth more than The Buggre Alle This Bible, but I actually love the Bible and find Nanny Ashtoreth to be very not-me.

I was excited to try this, because I hoped it would be honeyed berries and leather, and I like leather when it's paired with sweeter notes. Unfortunately, I don't really get the honey or berries from this at all. This is heavy, smoky, dark leather on me, with hints of something that almost smells like spiced black musk. I'm not sure what's giving me that impression, but it's very masculine to me.

I suppose this might be better on a man, but I don't really like it on my boy (it's a little too dark for my tastes). I definitely can't pull off this blend myself, and wish that my skin chemistry amped up some sweetness from it...

I smell wood and leather. Mostly wood.

Somewhere, far far far away from my decant and most likely underground, the amber, berries, and musk have been bound and gagged and beaten into silent submission.

Hopefully that's their kink, because It seems to be a pretty serious situation.

Edited by iiinterstate

I think this is my absolute favorite leather scent ever. It smells so REAL. And sexy. On me, leather is definitely the dominant note, and I don't think I can smell flowers or berries at all at first. Maybe wood. Yes, I think wood. About an hour into it, the leather backs off a bit and I can smell some of the berry and a teeny tiny breath of florals. It just smells... gah, it's just really damn good. Holy crap.

This one's on my bottle list for sure. It's been a while since I tried an honest-to-goodness glue-nose-to-wrist perfume. I smell FABULOUS.

Chicks in leather pretty much sums this up.

First siniff is woods and leather, and an almost linen like note is present too. On my skin, yup, who'd have thunk it? Woods and leather. For someone who normally amps red fruits and honey to an alarming degee, I smell very little of these notes here. There's a touch of generic "perfume" around the edges, but it's mainly leather and wood. Pretty, but I enjoy my leather a bit more on the masculine side. This is girl leather.

OK, this is pretty trippy. I get the leather and wood that other people are getting, but at the very beginning, it smells like leather and celery on me! :P Fortunately, that changes quickly.

It's not the same as any other BPAL leather scent, but the leather is definitely the predominant note here. But there's some smoothness peeking out behind it that keeps getting more complicated and good. I suspect this will age beautifully.

This reminds me of Theodosius in the beginning, kind of a pleasant, cologne-y scent. Nice, unobtrusive, safe, enjoyable. (Really? for The Nanny?)

As it's drying on me, however, I'm getting a lovely mix of leather and wood. No more traditional perfume/cologne scent. (Yay!) For some reason, this isn't at all what I expected. I guess because anything that says berries tends to be just that on me, and honey amps as well. And I was kind of looking forward to the Middle Eastern flowers and honey, but they're not here at all!

Yet, it really is quite beautiful. I find it "gentler" than I would expect, subtle but dominant. I'm reminded of mahogany, and I don't know if that's it I'm smelling, but I love it. It's not as in-your-face leather as Western Diamondback (one of the few other leather blends I've tried so far), very much more blended with the wood. And I can see some brilliant layering potential with this as well!

Yes, I think it's decided. I really love this blend! It's a surprise winner! :P

Nanny Ashtoreth

In the bottle: sweetened woody leather, a bit like Krampus and Crowley.

Wet on skin: mmm, this is like Loviatar’s leather, sweetened with amber. I also smell wine?

Dry on skin: whoa, this is a lot darker and woodier and more leathery than I expected, but I also can smell a rich, dark, red fruit note. That’s definitely the berries, but they smell more like red wine in here. Very dark and boozy. I also smell the leather, which could amp, but for now it’s behaving and it smells smooth and sexy. The woods are strong and deep, definitely polished, I’m thinking mahogany and ebony. The amber sweetens it all, but I don’t smell much in the way of honey or flowers.

After a while: ok, now the leather has gone and amped up a lot. As in, eaten every other note that isn’t wood. This is the ‘kinky’ leather note, the one from De Sade and Krampus that, as of late, has been amping and turning oddly burnt on me. It’s doing that now, smelling of smoke and leather, but it’s like charred wood and slightly rubbery leather, and whilst I do like the smell of new shoes, but I was hoping for more of the amber, honey, flowers and berries! Where are they now? Where’s that sweet amber and wine scent from before?

The sweet amber does make a comeback after a few hours, when the leather does calm a little. It still smells a bit charred though, and there’s no honey, berries or flowers here.

Verdict: I was a little bit disappointed by the Nanny. I was hoping for more of the amber, honey and Middle Eastern flowers (whatever they are, they sounded intriguing) but this is pretty much all leather and woods on me. it seems that leather either works or doesn’t work these days, some leathers smell rich and aged and gorgeous but others amp and smell a little bit burnt…and that’s what the leather here does. It completely smothers the amber, honey, berries and flowers here (which I did smell at first). If I want honeyed leather I’ll stick to Hand of Glory. It does sweeten a bit at drydown, but it winds up smelling almost identical to Loviatar by then, and I think I prefer that one a bit more. I may keep a decant of this to see if age tames the leather, but it’s not a bottle scent.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Not sure. I was hoping for less leather…

If you like this, try: Crowley, Loviatar, Krampus, Perversion, De Sade, Hand of Glory

This is what I remember the leather in Crowley doing on me the first couple months I wore it--creamy, soft leather. :P Very light, a skin scent. I love it.. When I smell it, I can FEEL the leather, and it's the kind that's well worn and baby soft by lots of use and love. Extra sexy..now if only I had some Spanked to test alongside it.. :D

Was very excited to order this when it first came out. Been putting off reviews because.. well.. all I can smell is wood and leather.

This is very very masculine on me. I wish my boyfriend liked to wear scent... I would slather him in it!

Wow. This is Crowley pour femme. :D

:P

I love Crowley and I would wear it, but in my mind, now it is reserved for my BF. This one has the same feel to it, a dark, deep, strong, assertive perfume, but it is a bit more feminine. It is still not an archetypically feminine perfume at all, but to me, it is perfect.

Most strong, on me, are the leather and woods, both aged and polished by use (a bit of musk too, perhaps?), but they are quite sweetened by the honey and amber, and well, whatever else is there that gives a hint but is not really distinct to me. It has a dark, shadowy radiance to it, I love it.

It is a tad smoky, but not so much I could qualify it as tobbaco-ish, fortunately.

This one is a bottle for me!

Edited by Medvssa

I love this one, but after wearing it for a while I think, quoting a friend of mine, 'it smells like dude'.

I'm not generally bothered by wearing things that are masculine, but this is a bit much. Thus, I take imps and frimps that are wayyy too floral and layer them on top of the Nanny - mmmm! Perfect solution!

Thus, I smell of roses, and leather, and woods, all warmed up with amber. Mmmm. :P

I don't get any of the 'middle eastern flowers' at all, or the 'blood-red berries'. This is all amber, honey, leather, wood... and of course 'dude'.

a commanding blend of leather and dry, spicy woods, softened only a little by faint florals. i don’t get the honey, amber or berries at all. the leather is so very strong. it’s nice, but not a standout for me among all of the lab’s wonderful leather scents.

all i am really getting here is amber, leather and wood, i think? maybe a hint of the flowers. it smells like leather + tobacco though. very reminiscent of other bpals ive tried. i love leather scents, so i quite enjoy this!

Bottle: Sweet, honeyed wood. A bit of dark leather. It's really soft and sticky in the bottle--highly honeyed.

Wet: The wood rushes out and starts to dominate the scent. The leather is the second most prominent note. The berries are starting to sweeten and I can sort of smell a bit of the honey sweetness.

Dry: Beautiful. The wood and leather burn off into this soft background scent melding with the amber leaving berries and honeyed florals as the most noticable notes. It smells naughty and definitely like someone you don't want to mess with, but also very feminine, warm and a little seductive. Very powerful.

Throw: Good.

Overall: Nanny Ashtoreth is one of my go to scents. She smells like one hell of a badass woman and you have to earn her respect. This is a beautiful, slightly severe scent and it fits the character perfectly. I'm very happy to have this in my scent wardrobe.

This one is... interesting --- it's like polished wood and leather. It's a sweet blend, probably because of the honey, but decidedly leather blend. I think the sweetness makes it seem more feminine.

And yes, this is the blend of a woman that would paddle any man's behind. :P

I got this bottle nearly empty to test. That was months ago, so it's aged some. In the bottle it's leather and...leather. Faint and nondescript. On the skin it warms and turns 'fabricy', for lack of a better word. Freshly ironed cotton. There are also hints of sewing machine oil, and I'm playing at my mom's feetwhile she works on a noisy, old 70s Singer that's overheating.

No berries or flowers to speak of (at least nothing I recognize as such) which is fine.

Minimal throw and very much a "skin scent".

I want a bottle like yesterday. :P

*edited because I can't spell

Edited by Indig0

Initial impression:

Ooh, wood and leather, with a hint of sweet honey. I'm loving this from first sniff!

First on:

This is naughty and gorgeous – wood, leather, warm florals (something along the lines of neroli), amber, honey... Kinky and girly.

Dry:

After about 20 mins, it's a gorgeous and tangy sort of scent – leather, wood and berries. Rawr!

40 mins later, it's still really strong, and the scent just gets more kinky and lush.

Finally:

Love at first sniff – a big keeper! :P

when i hear "paddle wood" i think of the paddles that my fraternity friends make. the whip leather sounds interesting. the amber, honey and berries are scary notes, and the middle eastern flowers... could go either way.

initial sniff: gag-inducing, dry and dusty leather

as it settles in, it doesn't really change much - just the dry leathery scent, with a bit of a wood-y feel floating in the background.