Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Leopard403

Slippery Poppy Tincture

Poppy flowers, acai berry, and honey.

In the imp: HAI THERE ACAI! :P

This is a VERY crisp scent. It's tart, but not too sweet. I actually get kind of an apple vibe from it, probably because it's a very red, crisp scent. I wasn't too familiar with acai before trying this; it reminds me of pomegranate, but better. As it dries, the scent becomes a bit more complex - I think that's the poppy in the background. It also gets a tad bit sweeter, but it's still mostly tart and crisp acai berry. I think this may be my favorite of the Pharmacopoeia! It's great when you want to wear a fruity scent that's not sweet.

Edited to add description. Edited by Shollin

I think the acai berry is the main note here I'm smelling here. It smells similar to the tart berry-like note in Roadhouse, and it also has something in common with the sour wine note in Perversion. I haven't smelled actual acai berries, but what this note reminds me of most is the Surinam cherry, an edible berry that some people grow as an ornamental plant - the berries look like little red and orange lanterns. I eat them. They're very tasty.

image18878.jpg

I'm not really a fan of this note in my perfume, but I am impressed at how realistically Slippery Poppy Tincture smells like a sour, freshly crushed Surinam cherry, with maybe some freshly crushed flower petals alongside it. There's no honey to my nose, just tart berry juice and flower petals. I agree with everyone else that the scent smells overwhelmingly RED. The opium/poppy note that's in blends like Euterpe, Bitter Moon, Debauchery and Vechernyaya is completely absent from this blend. I'm pretty sure that poppy flowers themselves don't have a scent, so perhaps that makes sense. The scent evokes the poppy flower without literally smelling like a poppy.

Slippery Poppy Tincture is not something I'll wear as perfume, but I can totally imagine this scent as belonging to a weird bright-red potion for strengthening the astral body. :P Great concept, great execution.

Wet this is a bright floral and sweet berries. When first on this is bright red poppies!!! This is very cheerful and uplifting. After a few minutes the acai berry note really develops. Acai berry is a new favorite note of mine (I love it in Australian Copperhead). As this dries down, the honey note warms up making this a close to the skin scent. The poppy note is still very much present too. This is a gorgeous sweet floral. It really smells like the bright translucent red petals of poppies. Wonderful job Doc Brian!! :P Note- a friend said that this scent smells like roses on me. Rose is my favorite note so that's a good thing for me.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I get any honey from this, nor much acai. It's very floral to my nose - sweet and bright and slightly "perfumey." The final dry down is a soft, sweet scent, but not terribly distinctive on me.

I had high hopes for this based on my experience with Sleepy Moon, which I love to bits. So when I first sniffed it in the bottle and thought it was going to be too sweet for me, I was sad. But I slathered anyway, and wow, so glad I did.

As others have said, this comes across as a very crisp, spicy floral with a sweet undertone. I can pick up a whiff of the honey (which is odd in and of itself, because that's a note that usually goes O HAI THAR on my skin) but mostly I smell the florals. And I think ClaireN is dead on about the surinam cherry -- I ate those as a kid, and this has the same sort of astringent sweetness that those do. How odd, I've been trying for YEARS to remember what those were called, with no success. I'm also getting the green notes that are present in some of the rose blends, and a little bit of spiciness that I can't quite place. It's a very pretty, deceptively simple scent.

I was expecting opium resin, not bright poppy flowers, so I was taken aback at first whiff and had to re-read the description.

Well, this is a zingy, high-pitched, fresh, green floral. I don't get honey or juicy redness, really, just a sharp loud floral. It smells a little like dryer sheets.

I much prefer Her Voice for my honeyed, fresh floral fix, so I will pass my Tincture imp along.

3.2 out of 5

:P

I'm tempted to leave it at that... but anyhow:

Wet: Yummy floral with a bit of berry fruitiness.

Dry: This is just the kind of floral I like. Sweet but not too sweet, fresh but not too fresh, with a sassy kick to it. It's feminine without being girly girl. The poppy in this has a nice spice to it, which takes this from everyday floral to awesome. I suppose seeing as I love carnations (mmmm spicy floral), and I also love "pretty" blends with a kick, like Hermia, it's no surprise that I LOVE this stuff. The acai doesn't come out as much on the skin for me as in the imp, but it does show up a bit to liven things up a bit with extra juiciness. The honey is there only enough to sweeten the blend a bit; I can't smell anything distinctly "honey" ish about it.

A note: If you like Flower by Kenzo you should try this stuff. It's got a similar feel (which I suppose makes sense because Flower is supposed to be based on Poppy), but this is so much more vibrant and juicy and, well, none of that generic "perfume" smell to it.

I get a whiff of berry in the imp, but after that it's pure greenery, almost grassy. I don't get much floral at all. The green scent is not bad, but not really what I'm looking for.

I found this unpleasant in the imp-- a little foul really. But within a minute of application, it changes. It smells edible, invigorating, and fairly herbal. I love acai juice, and this does smell just a bit how that tastes. Slippery Poppy Tincture isn't exactly what I was hoping for (in fact, I can't remember what I was actually expecting), but it's a sweet, girlish scent with nothing really offensive about it. I like it enough to hold on to it, but it's not for everyday wear.

Oh god, this is like acai and honey having dirty sex on my wrist and leaving a gooey mess.

Where is the poppy? I was promised a threesome.

Sadly, I think poppy had the bright idea and decided to skip town.

In bottle: Rich and sweet. The berry is very strong with the honey and flowers underneath. Reminds me rather of herbal tea. The berries really blend seamlessly with the flowers. Wet: The berry/flower herbal tea impression only grows stronger. It’s rather pleasant, really, though not very me. Dry: Pleasant floral.

Hmmm... my snoot is actually enjoying... Poppy?! Poppy and I are enemies. We hate each other. Never have gotten along ever.

But this isn't bad at all!!! Y'know why? My happy friends Acai and Honey are like... "Yo girl.. I can vouch for Poppy..." and I'm giving Poppy the stinky eye, but I can tolerate it.. for now. I can see the evil lurking around, but Honey and Acai are making things friendly. I'll hang out for a bit and see how Poppy handles me. For now... I'll give Poppy a slight nod and hope that Honey and Acai don't abandon me as the smellz progress.

:P this I don't like at. all.

it is weird and poppy :D

it reminds me a bit of the Hairy Toad Lilly which is also to sharp to me..

I dont't like berry~scents, so I could have known but I just wanted to try anyway!

the flowery part is very okey though! :D

I found this mostly a fresh, slightly floral, sweet scent. I didn't get a whole lot of fruitiness, which is fine by me. I'm having a hard time with this one, because I'm so not in the mindset for a fresh scent that it just reminds me of shampoos and bland product fragrancer. It doesn't have a lot of character on my skin. I think I'll pass on this one, and keep it in the back of my mind for next spring, when maybe it will appeal more.

In the vial: sour berries and green grass

Wet: Apple and a very fresh wet flower, crushed stem, apple peel. Mmmmm! How fresh!

Drydown: Now the green stem has taken center stage and a fresh berry is in the background. This remains a grassy scent, freshly mowed lawn and crushed flower stems. But with something tangy, fruity, and slightly sweet. I am reminded of One to Tie, Two to Win because of the grass. It's not the same perfume, but because that note is the star I think someone who likes one will like the other.

Bright, juicy berries & poppies.

It starts off very bold and lush, there is definitely a green feeling, and it resembles grass or sweetened moss. Fruity, bold, green, tart and dewy.

Fortunately like Nostrium Remedium, the honey only serves to sweeten the blend.

It's beautiful, and lasts forever on my skin.

To me, it smells like poppy flowers, ferns and pollen. I love it!

It reminds me of a summer in a field of wild flowers! (I know, I have too much imagination...)

imp: this almost smells apple-y to me. i know it's the acai though.

wet: very strong poppy flower and still... apples.

dry: still strong poppy. the apple-y scent has faded a bit.

In the imp, this smells like a lovely sweet fruit. Wet on my skin, it's still fruity, but I smell the poppy floral now too. As it dries, it smells more powdery. I too get that "apple" scent, especially as it dries. It's hard for me to pick up the honey notes, but the floral note begins to amp the more it dries on my skin.

I like it, but I don't think I'd use an entire bottle of it.

Imp: A clean red. Something definitely plant based but I can't pin down any notes

Wet: Oooo. Pretty red scent. Sort of apple-ish, though. I love apples and don't really know what a poppy smells like. Could be my brain mixing things up

Drydown: Red, apple-y floral fun. It's a perky scent without being the least bit cloying. The honey just adds a touch of musk.

Overall: What a fun scent! I totally wouldn't mind a full bottle of this! It's very pleasant with good throw. I used the word "perky" above because it's got a definite energy to it, but doesn't smell like something a 14 year old would wear like some of the sweeter scents do on me. I'm really fond of this. Keeping the imp, maybe a full bottle if I want to get myself a treat :)

I got a sniffie of this from another forumite. It is lovely. At first I get a whiff of peppery spice and when it dries down, it becomes both sweet and tart. There is greenery in the background too. The overall effect is balanced and just gorgeous.

Going on, this is a fruity-floral, almost apple-like, and sweet, especially at first. Yes, I definitely smell apples. (It's probably the acai berry--I'm still learning to distinguish between fruits, particularly unusual ones.)

Over time, it becomes a sweet, fruity smell without any overtly floral overtones, in contrast to the florals that I smelled originally.

After a few hours, I have a blend of apple (acai berry) and honey and powder…

Recaplet: Floral-starting apple-freshness that dries to powder.

My rating: 2 of 5 (Meh.)

Color Impression: A clear golden yellow

In the bottle – Bitter green berries

Wet on me – Sharp berries and an appropriately medicinal sort of honey

Dry on me –Argh – stale ashes. It does eventually dry to a sort of molten sugar scent with the tartness of the berries behind it

Overall – It’s a bit of a weird once, but in the long run it’s killed by my skin chemistry

In the imp this is poppy an something green and sharp. Wet the honey comes out and makes it a poppy with red berries in the background. the popy and berry and honey blend together beautifully with just a hint of green.