Sea of Tranquility

Look how the pale Queen of the silent night
doth cause the ocean to attend upon her,
and he, as long as she is in sight,
with his full tide is ready here to honor;

But when the silver waggon of the Moon
is mounted up so high he cannot follow,
the sea calls home his crystal waves to morn,
and with low ebb doth manifest his sorrow.

Silver-dusted lotus, white amber, rose otto, passion flower, white sandalwood, buttonweed, and white poppy.

bottle: this is a very light scent but i can catch a bare hint of sandalwood.

wet: both the amber and the sandalwood warm up instantly once applied, while the lotus stays gently in the background.

dry: this dries to a sweet soft amber and lotus scent on my skin.

This smells almost like candy fluff in the bottle...floral candy fluff. Light, sweet, ephemeral.

On...wait, where did it go? Am re-applying. And...it smells like candy fluff and perfuminess. Less tranquil, and more flirty yet fragile. Just when I think "this is shrill and cloying, when I can even SMELL it!", I sniff again and I catch a slightly spicy floral note that just rocks my socks. So while it lasts, it's really nice.

I agree with savage_rose that this one smells like candy-fluff in the bottle.

As soon as I apply it, I smell the (white) amber struggling to make an appearance. After those fleeting 5 minutes, I assume that passion flower and lotus are what I smell that settle down with the blend until drydown.

I don't know buttonweed and white poppy as notes, per say so I can't comment on them in particular. Rose otto never screams and waves, "Hey, I'm over here!!! Over HERE!!!!!" thankfully.

Nice, spicy-floral drydown.

sniffed from the bottle: reminds me of Stardust, plus white sandalwood and some new kind of white floral.

on skin: strong sandalwood and i think passion flower? smells almost like gardenias. after awhile more soft florals come out.

turns out to be quite fresh and feminine, very pretty.

In the bottle: strong smell of lotus.

On: Definitely has that "lunar oils" smell about it. I was not sure about it at first but it is an interesting addition to my collection; I could definitely wear it on formal occasions. A stunning white throw but not white floral.

Edited by heysunshine

In bottle/imp: Sweet and very fruity cool floral.

Immediately on skin: This scent smells sparkly, if that makes any sense. It smells dynamic and pretty. The lotus is the most identifiable note, and it is mixed with a more bitter floral (the poppy?). The blend is fruity, floral and sparkly (I would say it smells silver to me) with a slightly bitter undertone of poppy and a base of very chilly amber.

After a few minutes: This blend is very interesting… It has developed a spicy feel to it now, which really blends nicely with the cooler notes. It’s probably the white sandalwood, though the other notes are still coming through nicely. This is well blended, and everything is working together. It’s very difficult to pick out the notes other than the lotus and poppy; the scent is just a very pretty, cool fruity floral with hints of bitter poppy and a warm spiciness sprinkled throughout.

Later on: The bitterness of the poppy has really receded, and the blend is just pretty, soft, cool, and spicy. It’s hard to describe how it manages to be warm, yet cool at the same time, but the combination of the sandalwood, lotus, and white amber are just that.

Overall Impressions: This is a very pretty blend. It’s not overly strong, or fruity, or floral. It’s just soft, cool, with a nice hint of spice from the sandalwood. The lotus and poppy are identifiable, and the amber adds a nice dry, chilly base to the scent, but this is just beautifully blended. It really is a sparkling scent… not in a champagne or bubbly type way, but it just is.

Edited by Delirium1009

SEA OF TRANQUILITY

Wet: This smells clear and light, but I do get a blast of white poppy that is lighter, yet reminiscent of, Sleepy Moon and Lotus Moon.

Dry: As it dries on my skin, Sea of Tranquility becomes a cool and crystalline night scent; it smells white and silvery. The white poppy is the most prominent and it lends an almost soporific quality to this. I find that the combination of white poppy and white sandalwood reminds me of Stardust, but the similarity ends there. The lotus and passion flower add a higher, almost fruity floral fragrance and the white amber provides a nice, light, resinous powder quality to fill in the gaps between the poppy, sandalwood, and florals.

Highly evocative. Very pretty. White. Silver. Silent. Sad.

If I smelled this without looking at it, I think it would instantly make me think of the moon. That distant, liquid mottled white-grey, with ghostly blue shadows, that the moon evokes. As I think more about it, it does smell very much like Lotus Moon, but is a bit more..cold and distant. While Lotus Moon had some hint of pine resin to warm on my skin, this fades away quickly and I can't quite grasp it. That was very much a summer scent though, and this fits nicely with the cold shadows of winter. Not entirely my bag, but I can dig it!

In the bottle: combination of white flowers. My nose is confused. It is almost like gardenia, but gardenia is not listed as one of the notes.

Wet: that unidentifiable floral must be lotus. I can also smell the white amber and sandalwood, but they're quite light.

Drydown: faint, mysterious, mostly sandalwood.

It definitely conveys a sense of tranquility, and also, I think, distance. More subtle than I am usually wont to indulge in.

Wow, this lunacy is :P

It does evoke the moon, very sparkly indeed! I can't really pin a note down but I want to say a glowing white! perhaps sandalwood? and I want to say something musky... maybe a really subtle white musk?

It's an awesome moon scent in my book. :D

I agree with the reviewers that dubbed this "sparkly". It's an adult sparkly, almost regal,not a child one, if that makes any sense.

Someone else mentioned that it is a "distant" scent, and I think that is very accurate.

On my skin, it stays very close, I occasionally got whiffs of amazing fragrance, and then realized it was me! I get aquatic from this. I was sniffing my wrist, and trying to figure out how to describe the spicy scent. It's not hot spice, it was like a group of quiet spices playing quietly over a watery scent. Then, it hit me. On my skin, Sea of Tranquility is a watery Morocco. If you took the gorgeous sandalwood-y, incence-y, spices of Morooco, subtracted the Vanilla, and added an etheral fresh water scent, that is Sea of Tranquility on my skin.

Add this to the group of new aquatic-y scents I'm loving including: Calico Jack & Mary Read.

Wet: Spicy/sweet. On first sniff, it's very men's cologne/aftershave, but when I concentrate I can smell the sweetness of the passion flower and the rose otto.

Drying: Sweet, watery floral.

Dry: I can barely smell anything :P Even when I jam my wrist under my nose. It fades to nothing almost instantly.

I really wanted to love this one, but how can I when I can't smell it?

--

OK-- I should know better than to try to review when I have a head cold. So I'm trying this again.

Wet: Still sweet and spicy, but a bit more fruity. I can definitely smell the passion flower.

On the skin, the sandalwood comes out more, and for about a minute, it's almost overpowering powdery wood. Then it morphs into the glowing scent that others have mentioned. Then it mellows even more and the passion flower comes out.

I've never had a scent go through so many changes on me. I'll have to keep this one around and test it out more.

Edited by bryghtrose

I love this. Sea of Tranquility is the perfect name; it is very calming.

Sniffed from the bottle, the florals are intense, and the amber and sandalwood are jumping out. I don't get candy floss; I get lush arrangement of creamy, heavy flowers displayed in a room with a freshly varnished floor.

Okay, that doesn't sound very appealing, but the amber and sandalwood, to me, are evoking childhood memories of putting down a new coat of varnish on the dining room floor, getting the house polished and ready for a big event, a few days go by, the house is decorated, and a big arrangement of waxy magnolias and other white flowers are centered on the table.

Very grown-up, almost stately, floral with polished-wood backbone.

Drying down, the polished wooden floor morphs into subtle spice, but the creamy white florals remain.

This is elegant, formal, and calm. I love this on my skin, and plan to spare some drops for room scent.

Bottle: Light, soft, and smooth. I can catch the white amber, white poppy, and white sandalwood. Basically all the white notes. 'Tis a very shining, white scent. Someone also said it's kind of sad.. I agree. Not in a bad way, because it's very pretty. The image of Yvaine walking into the village of Wall after she thought Tristan was leaving her comes to mind.

Wet: Yes, this is reminding me quite a lot of Yvaine. Not the BPAL scent, but the character. I haven't tried the BPAL Yvaine yet.. but this scent is reminding me of her. There's a dustiness that reminds me of Stardust, not a bad dustiness at all. There's also a peacefulness coming out now. There's the tranquility. I really like this.

Dry: It's becoming ever-so-slightly soapy, but there's still so much underneath this that's very pretty. It's very quiet and glowing.

A Little Bit Later: Soft and glowing. I really do think of celestial things when I smell this. Very pretty. Got a bottle.

Sea of Tranquility

In the Bottle:

Silver? yes, silver dust!

like twinkling stars have been caught in a bottle & this is their scent!

what fun!!

On my Skin, Wet:

Silvery lotus...I get mostly lotus from mine.

I also detect something resinous like amber, but I can't quite bring myself to call it.

there's also something about this scent that reminds me of ozone, but I don't know why I think that.

On my Skin, Dry:

Cool, calming and soft.

the "silverness" of the lotus has never dissipated on me & love the way it makes me smell!

Lotus tends to get a little spicy on me, so this scent is a breath of fresh air!

not an overly complex scent, but not too simple either.

very good balance of tones (I hate to say 'notes' because I can't really smell anything in particular)

Verdict:

A cool lotus!

impressive!

8 of 10 Rating!

This is a very heady floral when wet, but it dries down to a lovely, yet hard to describe scent. Sweet-fruity from the lotus, spicy from the amber and sandalwood, and something that makes it sexy and sultry - maybe the passionflower? That would fit the description, wouldn't it? I am with the reviewers who find something sparkling and crystalline about Sea of Tranquility; I also agree with the assessments that it's quite the elegant lady's scent. I'm thrilled that I had a chance to try it.

A light, wafting, dusty, dim, night time floral blend. I can smell mostly the lotus, but this has a bit of that generic, white, drug store floral thing going on too. This does remind me a bit of Stardust, but with out the sharp effervescence. There is an oddly shadowy, dust note to the background which makes it smell sort of strange on the dry down.

This is very very light and short lived on my skin.

Not quite my thing, unfortunately.

Sea of Tranquility – This is a crisp, clean, sweet, resinous floral. It’s mostly white sandalwood and amber, but the lotus is there sweetening things up. I love how the sandalwood and amber blend together. It’s hard to describe, but the amber makes the bone-dry sharpness of the white sandalwood a little softer around the edges. Lovely scent with average throw and staying power.

Sea of Tranquility takes on a cheap, drugstore, floral perfume smell on my skin. The poppy and other floral notes are sharp and chemical-esque, making this rather harsh to my nose. The amber and sandalwood try to calm it down in the drydown, but they just add a dry, powdery edge that I don't care for either. Sea of Tranquility is probably pretty if you can stomach white florals, but I unfortunately cannot :P

Lotus flower and my skin do not get along, but I ordered Sea of Tranquility hoping that my finicky skin would eat the lotus and leave the rest. No such luck. All I could smell for the first few hours was bubblegum, then something pretty I didn't recognize started to come through as well. Unfortunately, it didn't overpower the bubblegum, so I'll have to pass this on to someone else.

Sea of Tranquility starts off as a tangy ozone layered over soft, fruity flowers. Then, it changes into a gentle, but complex floral over a bed of delicate sandalwood. It's hard to describe Sea, because it encompasses three different scent categories: it's clean, floral, and fruity all at once. It also is very changeable, and what you smell one minute might not be there the next. This is a "quiet" scent -- you might not notice it right away, but when you do, you're blown away by the depth of it. Above all, it lives up to its name -- it is a tranquil blend, confident but not aggressively so. I love this one to bits, but I wouldn't wear it every day -- I need to be in a certain mood when I wear it.

4.5/5

This is a bit too high-pitched for me. I don't usually dig aquatics so much, so maybe that's part of it, but there's just something about this blend that makes me feel headachey. Not a fan....

2 out of 5

got a frimp of this as a gift with a BPAL i purchased on ebay.

it is a lovely scent- i get 'oriental mixed floral' from it...can't really pick out the individual scents as they all belnd together very nicely, like a bouquet. it doesn't last long on me however, and is not really a standout- i have other mass produced oriental floral scents that i like better. i do see a lot of people on here who love it though, so it's into the swap/sell pile and i hope it goes to a good home.

Sea of Tranquillity

In the imp: ohhh, this smells like a gentler Lotus Moon!

Wet on skin: soft sweet lotus surrounded by a pale amber and a hint of opium.

Dry on skin: this is gorgeous! This is beautiful lotus and gentle amber. I can’t smell the rose but I can smell the sandalwood and a bit of poppy, giving a hint of gentle incense to the scent. I think there’s just the barest scent of passion flower, but this is mainly a beautiful sweet lotus enrobed with a soft amber. Something about this reminds me of Fairy Market for some reason, but it also reminds me of one of my Egyptian themed scents…maybe Blood or Black Lotus? That’s definitely the lotus and maybe the white amber giving this impression…the white amber in here is fantastic.

After a while: now this smells very similar to Lotus Moon, that same mix of amber, lotus and opium, except this is paler, more ethereal, probably because this is a white amber, not a golden one. There’s a gently glowing feel to this scent, a soft warmth, it’s also slightly powdery, and surprisingly sophisticated. It’s sweet but definitely not bubblegum sweet, and there’s a hint of smoke that gently weaves through it all. It also reminds me of Bastet, another favourite of mine. Over time this reminds me of Black Lotus, but not as dark…silvery is a fitting description.

The drydown actually reminds me of Neptune, that mysterious, wispy scent of sweet, otherworldly lotus in a haze of narcotic smoke. This resemblance to Neptune is the closest this comes to smelling aquatic to me. I also smell more of the white amber at this point and it is such a delightful amber. I love white amber in NA scents, and this is the first BPAL where this lovely note really stands out and is well defined. Just before the scent goes, there’s a slight resemblance to Hermia, thanks to the passion flower.

Verdict: this is the most beautiful combination of amber and lotus I’ve smelt so far. This is a haunting and enchanting scent of silvery moonlit flowers warmed by amber light, touched by sweetness and wrapped with a hint of smoke. The opium here is perfect-a light incense that is truly dreamy. The white amber is so gorgeous and the lotus is sweet and ethereal but not bubblegummy at all. I don’t smell much of the rose but the sandalwood grounds all the notes, passion flower adds a hint of something fruity. This becomes a truly stunning amber-lotus scent at the end, and then becomes dominated by amber, and as I’m an amber-holic, that’s a very good thing. To me, this is Bastet’s silvery cousin. Definitely one I want a backup or two of. One of the loveliest lunar scents and one of the few ‘sea’ scents I can wear!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes-this is stunningly beautiful.

If you like this, try: Lotus Moon, Bastet, Neptune, Black Lotus, Blood Lotus, Hermia, Fairy Market

In Vial:Perfumey

Wet: Interesting. Smells candy sweet with a little bit of green floral

Drydown: This is getting stronger, much stronger and has now gone back to being very perfumey. The amber is the strongest note I smell.