Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dragonrain

Midnight Kiss

Eternal desire, unquenchable passion: red musk, cocoa absolute, Nepalese amber, red sandalwood, aged patchouli, nicotiana, and blood wine.

I got a frimp of this with my last order. I knew from the notes that I wouldn't like it, but I tried it anyways...just in case.
While wet, and in the bottle it smells like red wine and incense. On my skin it turns to chocolate. It's so not me. Edited by Shollin

The frimp that inspired a bottle purchase!

This one is sextacular. It starts off a little sickeningly sweet to my nose - I get overwhelmed easily by sweet, musky scents. But lemme tell ya, if you apply this lightly, it settles down into something really tasty. It is like Mme. Moriarty in that it is a sweet, red musk scent. But there's something a little more...teenaged about this one. I actually just put the Mme. on my other wrist, and am comparison sniffing. Next to Midnight Kiss, Mme. Moriarty smells sort of deeper and spicier, and the fruitness is more subtle. Part of that is aging - I think Midnight Kiss is going to age very nicely - but part of it is the scent characteristics. Midnight Kiss smells like red musk and wine, sweet and sexy, with the other notes giving it a complexity that's really nice and keeps it from being too...rich?

Anyway, many words later, I mean to say that I like this one a lot. It has great staying power and a little goes a long, long way. I think it's going to be very popular. Get some, and enjoy!

This was a frimp in my last order, and I'm so glad that happened because I would not have ordered this. Now I want a bottle.

At first I wrote it off as too fruity, but very soon it gets deeper and richer without becoming heavy. I was soooo disappointed when Boomslang didn't work on me, but this does. It's like what I hoped Boomslang would be, minus the Snake Oil.

I don't read Shojo Beat so I don't understand the reference, but it sure does smell good. The musk doesn't go to baby powder -- big thing for me.

Edited by KateW

Got this as a frimp with my last order too! Thank you labbies! I was thinking about getting this, but wasn't sure about of the red musk - Smut didn't work out too well for me. But I LOVE this!

It starts out cocoa-ey - the kind that turns to peanuts on me (don't ask). But that goes away in literally 45 seconds, then it starts turning spicy - must be the sandalwood - but also happy and effervescent - like a soda pop - and kind of fruity. This is sooo goood, but not for what I was expecting/hoping I would like - I love cocoa/vanilla notes most.

ADDED March 15:

Lovely frimp from the labbies - thank you!!!

First whiff - light chocolate, a bit floral and a bit spicy

A few minutes later - cola?

Dry - cocoa, fruity cherry-ness, and something spicy - reminds me a bit of Smut - must be the red musk.

Not my favorite, but definitely yummy!!!

I, too, got this as a frimp with my last order (which included Vampire Tears, which I love). I didn't order this one because I'm not a red musk fan, but even so, I'd agonized over whether I should have ordered it. The frimp let me sample and put my fears to rest. Midnight Kiss is beautiful, but not bottle worthy for me because for whatever reason, red musk makes my stomach feel queasy. The blend is beautiful, and I'm glad I got to try it, but I'm also glad I didn't buy a whole bottle of it.

the wine is very strong on my skin along with the red musk and sandalwood in the background. i get a hint of tobacco. the wine smells very cherry-like on my skin though, sort of cough-syrupy. i kind of like it once it really fades, but the initial strong cherry scent doesn't sit well with me :/

I had a free imp as well. When I opened it, my first thought was, this is the best thing ever. I then closed it and set it on the bed. Then a small amount on the rim must have gotten on my sheets. I could not stop smelling it. I washed my hands, still there. It began to smell of grape bubblegum. I started to feel very ill.

Then next day I was lying in bed...and I could still smell it on the sheets!

Yeah, I think it is a little too sickly sweet for me, but it obviously lasts!

Midnight Kiss is full of notes that hate me. Patchouli, Red Musk & Cocoa. Naturally I expected it to absolutely hate me and I could go along my merry way.

WRONG. Oh this is lovely. I don't get any of the dreaded three at all but what I do get (and a lot of) is wine. It actually reminds me a lot of Queen of Spades for some reason. I can definitely make out the patchouli but it's not dirty hippie patchouli but more of a creamier subtle version. I get no cocoa and no red musk at all. It's a very red sort of scent and absolutely fitting with the theme. I'm in LOVE.

Ooh, this is so lovely.

In the bottle it's a rich mixture of dry cocoa (think cocoa powder, not chocolate), dusky red musk and blood wine... I didn't think I could smell wine, but I absolutely can!

On my skin,it morphs so much I don't know if I can describe it all...

Wet: it stays similar to the bottle, with the wine note fading and becoming a slight hint of berry behind the cocoa and musk. The amber starts to peek through as welll as the sandalwood.

Drying: During drydown the sandalwood takes over and does what sandalwood ALWAYS does on me: pencil shavings, maskign everything else.

The good news is this is only a phase, with the sandalwood taking a backseat upon finally drying.

Dry: Once completely dry, the amber is evident, blending almost seamlessly with the sandalwood to create a lovely warm "dusky" base which also melds with the red musk. The red musk does take center stage though, but you can definetely get whifs of the sandalwood/amber combination. The cocoa isn't gone, and comes up here in there....

Overall: Amazingly complex, everytime I think i have this pegged, it changes. But overall it's dark, musky seductive blend that is not for the weak and is the perfect nighttime scent.

This isn't something I would have purchased myself, but surprisingly I rather like it. Lots of the notes in it are ones that are iffy on me - red musk, cocoa and wine are generally bad. They all work together in this blend though to produce something oddly fruity. Sort of like chocolate covered strawberries? I need to try this out for a longer period, but so far it's lovely!

I got this as a frimp with my Vampire Tears...

Cherry chocolate patchouli, in that order. The cherry mellows a little over time.

Sadly not me, and I had already placed an order for a bottle. I guess there's more for sales/swaps.

Shojo Beat: Midnight Kiss

In the Imp:

Fruity & Fizzy!

On my Skin, Wet:

ACK! :P

Patchouli!! ew!

On my Skin, Dry:

Less patchouli, but also the wine note - which is 50-50 on me.

this is not one of those positive 50's.

Verdict:

Since I'm not a fan of patchouli, I doubt that this one will stick around, but I'll try it one more time without hormone interferrence.

::washes off MK::

oh, well- Guess I'll try again in a week or so.....

1 of 10 ranking for me :D

I just received Midnight Kiss as a frimp from the lab (:P) - my boyfriend placed an order for a bottle of it for me a couple of weeks ago, and I'm so glad he did (think I need to get backup bottles actually!) -- this is GORGEOUS. "Red musk" is how I can think to decribe it - it is smokey and full-bodied, a hint of red wine and sandalwood. I am in absolute love with it - definitely one of my all-time favourite BPAL scents.

Midnight Kiss...

Hm.. When I first put this on I thought deep, sexy red musk with spice.. then the fruit came out to play and I'm sorry for this because the possibility for sexiness is up there... but it turns into pop-rocks with my skin. Chemistry, who knows?

Off to my swaps pile, ah well at least I gave it a shot.

Edited by Summerpixy

MIDNIGHT KISS

In Bottle: Wine and patchouli

On Skin: A lovely frimp from the lab, thank you!!! The wine is very strong, sweet and dark with just the right booziness. The patchouli is second in line, and sadly it’s not the patchouli that normally works on me. Here it is very dirty and combined with the other notes it amps it’s earthiness. The cocoa I notice right away… dark and powdery, but contributing to the sweetness of the scent. The red musk is gorgeous, it always seems to work on me. The sandalwood isn’t coming across as a clean note, which it normally does so that’s odd. But it does also jump on the earthy band wagon. The nicotiana gives a smoky quality and makes this scent a little more corrupt. This scent is sweet, dark and feral… very much like a kiss at midnight. This scent reminds me of a cross between Centzon Totochtin and Blood Kiss. A strong scent that can be worn by both men and women. Strong throw and long wearlength.

Beautiful! This is not unlike Mania and Hollywood Babylon on me...the red musk and fruit (from the wine) combination, I guess. But this is sweeter and earthier at the same time. The cocoa is subtle, but it's there, and the patchouli must be what's bringing out that earthiness. I wasn't expecting it to be as sweet as it is but it really works!

<jumping up and down> I LOVE THIS! Wow, did i luck out, this last order was full of loves!

I've been fascinated with scents lately from all etailers/retailers that have a juicy tart type scent...kind of like the "sugared plums" or pacifica's guava -

This takes it to a whole different level that i wasn't expecting. At first, very fruity, so much so that i wondered if it was a pomegranite scent or some such thing (i didn't review the notes before i opened it up) or maybe a juicy dark cherry, which i now realize must be the red wine. The sandalwood and patchouli are definately there, taking the fruit component and deepening and grounding it.

The beauty of this is that the red wine (which obviously is the fruity component) is tart enough to stay equally strong and sweet with the patchouli and sandalwood. And the nicotiana adds a fabulous touch! Soo hmmm, if a drunken cherry took a bath in wonderful aged patchouli (reminiscent of fritz' to me)..........

I have an uneducated nose still yet, so these are the notes that stick out for me - i can't say that i get strong cocoa or the musk, but i think those are more of the base, which make it uber wonderful. This reminds me of nothing that is already out there...i can't usually do wine scents, or the strong woody or patchouli scents...though red musk and cocoa do work well on me...anyway, i have to stop raving, but suffice it to say i've been wearing it for thirty minutes and i just want to gnaw my arm off!!!

Oh, a wine scent that works! Very sweet and juicy; the patchouli/fruit combo reminds me a little of Crypt Queen -- it has that dark-red, slightly sinister quality. As it dries, the booziness of wine disappears and only shining red grapes remain, sweetened by cocoa. Very nice, and contrary to expectations it has a mild throw.

This reminds me alot to Blood Kiss -- mainly because I get slight wine, ALOT of cherry/strawberry sweet fruityness from it and the red musk, big time. And yes, this does remind me to a cross of Centzon Totochin and Blood Kiss (CT comes to mind because of the cocoa).

Pretty.

This was a frimp - it's not something I would buy because red musk smells of peanuts on me and nicotiana and wine are not really my kind of scents

Initially, the red musk and cocoa combine to a smell of peanuts and dark chocolate, which I would be happy to wear though I'm not normally a foody, but as it dries it becomes more and more tobacco. Soon it is mostly tobacco, with a faint undercurrent of patchouli. Off to swaps!

This is another "never say never" experience. Cocoa and wine are two notes that just don't work on me but in small doses, as mentioned above, Midnight Kiss is great. The red musk and other perfume ingredients keep this from smelling like Gothic M&M and like a sexy scent.

Holy Cats. I need another bottle!

In the bottle I smell expensive, dark chocolate, and thats it. NO hints of any other notes at all.

However, on me... the chocolate backs off and I smell patchouli, sandalwood, and things I cannot identify cause I'm not very good at it, and just the slightest hint of chocolate. I do NOT smell wine, or anything boozy. Which for me is good, as it's an instant turn-off.

*puts up hand* Another one that got this as a frimp on my order!!

Ohoh I love this one!

From the description, I wasn't the least bit interested in it.

I hate cocoa, chocolate, sickly sweet smells as perfumes on me.

But I don't get a single hint of the cocoa at all!

Infact, this reminds me a bit of Shango at first.

I suck at reviews so this is really hard to describe.

It's sweet, but not overly. I don't even get any patchouli either and I love patchouli!

Definitely fruity, but a creamy fruit.

Must get a bottle before they're all gone!

oh, midnight kiss! *sobs dramatically* we could have been so good together! but that bitch sandalwood had to come between us!

seriously. wine, cocoa, red musk, amber?! that should be PERFECT on me- but instead when i sniff this all i get is a big hunk of sandalwood dusted lightly with cocoa powder. i always thought i amped wine like no other, but apparently in a battle royale between the two, sandalwood comes out on top. curses.

Midnight Kiss is strongly patchouli w/fruit on me. But with quite a bit of cocoa and a little wine. I love the patchouli/fruit combo and can't really detect the other notes, but it does soften and become complex after just a bit of wearing. It's complex enough that I just can't tell what each of the notes are, but they are lovely. I really love Midnight Kiss. ... I was hoping that it could replace boomslang as my chocolatey scent, as i'm nearly out of Boomslang. It can't. But that's ok. It is great as it is.