Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dragonrain

Midnight Kiss

Eternal desire, unquenchable passion: red musk, cocoa absolute, Nepalese amber, red sandalwood, aged patchouli, nicotiana, and blood wine.

First sniff: Sweet, light chocolate.

Wet: All I can think to describe it is "cherry cola." It sort of reminds me of Dr. Pepper, only sweeter. Incredible throw.

Drydown: Much softer, but still very sweet. I can smell the chocolate again and what I think must be sandalwood.

I really like this, but I'm not sure if it's really me. It might just take some getting used to.

Got this as a frimp from the lab. Thanks guys!

In the vial: cocoa, amber, and something sparkly, like grape soda? That must be the wine and nicotania. The cocoa isn't foody at all, it is more of a botanical cocoa.

On my skin: Wow, this is beautiful, and so well-blended, I'm afraid I really can't really describe the notes seperately, but I'm going to try: The nicotania is giving it a high happy floral note, the sandalwood and patchouli are very quietly grounding it. The wine, red musk, amber and cocoa are hanging out as midnotes, making the whole thing festive.

My mental image is the red musk of Scherezade, drunk on wine, laughing and rolling around in a field of flowers, scratch that, a backyard garden party with flowers. It is totally a bubbly party scent, very happy. This is not a sulk-around-listening-to-Bauhaus scent. I can't stop sniffing it....I think I want to go make out with someone.

I have a feeling this is going to be mighty popular.

edited because I'm a spelling moron sometimes.

Edited by Ohmaude

Frimp from the Lab. Hmmmm... I never even saw it comming...

OMG this is FANTASTIC! It is flirty and fun, sexy and delicious. It is what I want department store scents to be like and they never are (Juicy, Princess...I'm looking at you...). She is like Mme Moriarty's little sexy stripper sister. :P This one is a party girl for sure. If you like Bordello and/or Eat Me you will LOVE Midnight Kiss. She is a bit more complex.

Sadly, I am not loving Midnight Kiss. It is very sweet and the red musk is a bit over-powering to my senses. To me, all I can smell is red musk and a very sweet fruity, strawberry type scent. Midnight Kiss seems to be a cousin of Hollywood Babylon. I think I'll have to sawp this one.

A frimp from the lab! I didn't order this one when I placed my big order for this update, because red musk and cocoa are usually awful on me. The will-call reviews made it sound wonderful though, so I was hoping to snag a decant at some point. Then my pending order arrived with this in it as a frimp! I was SO excited.

When I first put this on it's a bit strange. Wood, grapes, sparklyness, a touch of the strange vaseline scent red musk becomes on me... just strange. For the first few minutes it gets a bit nicer over time, including a few minutes where the cocoa is there. It's not the cold-air-cocoa scent I usually get, and it's not particularly chocolatey or foody, and is actually nice.

Once it's dry, though, it's a great slightly-grape wine scent. Sweet, but not cloyingly so. The wood scent is mostly gone, and now there is a touch of earthiness grounding it. Not like dirt, but just some depth there. The musk fades back, but I think it's adding to the depth of the scent, as is the now undetectable cocoa. This is actually working on me, and it's very good! Both my sister and grandpa liked it on me. I've now ordered a bottle!

Midnight Kiss, on me, smells a lot like ... not actual cherry cola, but like the bubblegum that would be made in "cherry-cola flavor." There's a little chocolate, like maybe the gum was sitting on the shelf next to the Hershey bars or something. It's hard for me to sniff beyond the top layer, because it's so sugary and hurts my head. But yes, underneath it, more chocolate, the boozy scent of wine (which is probably where the fruitiness is coming from), and the tobacco/nicotiana scent. This sort of reminds me a lot of Kali, actually, only candy-ified.

Not a good scent on me.

I got a frimp of this! Whee!

Unfortunately, it just smells like fake strawberry flavoring to me. Like that syrup-type candy or something. Really sickly sweet. Alas!

I got this as an frimp in my order too! not one i had any intention of trying either.

in the imp this is a nice berry with a slight hint of cocoa. maybe this wont be so bad?

wet on my skin it smells like a fizzy grape soda, but darker, more complex. by far less sweet than bordello. There is cocoa in the background, almost like cocoa dusted berries.

after 30 minutes or so the berry goes almost completely away. It is now a dark earthy cocoa. grounded by something and in the background there is the faintest hint of berries.

and then at about an hour my skin which hates musk turns it into cocoa powder. oh well, better than baby powder? All in all i was very pleasantly surprised with this one. Its like bordellos more mature, less sweet, naughty older sister. :P this is what I had hoped bordello would be. I just wish musk didnt turn to powder on me. :D

This was an unexpected frimp in my last order!

In the imp, and wet on my skin, this was a light, sweet chocolate scent.

Drying, it got redder and redder, as the darker tones of the scent warmed up from my skin.

Dry, it's a sweet and fruity scent with a dark base note - reminds me a lot of Unheavenly City, actually.

First of all, thanks so much to the Lab for frimping this! It's a great idea - gives folks a chance to smell it before it's gone.

Sadly, now I know in advance that the bottle I've got heading my way won't work for me. :P At first sniff, I get the lovely, dry Boomslang-y cocoa, but it's quickly overtaken by musk and grape. It reminds me very much of a fruity Smut. That is bad news for me, but should make some folks very happy. There are notes in here that I adore, but I'm not getting any of them. Where are the amber, sandalwood and patchouli? It's just the booze note from Smut that didn't agree with me. I knew it was a gamble since I don't care for the grape/wine note, but I was hoping that it would fade into the background.

I will, of course, hold on to it for awhile, because you just never know how it will age, and imps sometimes smell different than the bottles.

I don't see cherry listed but there is a DEFINATE cherry note, especially when wet. In the middle there i'm totally loving the musk, sandalwood and patchouli. there is also a sweet note, as in vanilla but not foody, it might be something amping the sweetness in the sandalwood though. It goes off a bit later but winds up a mellow musk and sandalwood. this is definately a morpher - i think i'll like mine more in a scent locket than on my skin though since it loses some of it's other notes in time ...

In the vial - Musky and a little chocolate

Wet - Definitely a musk going on and a little sandalwood

Dry - Eh, there's the patchouli - and it's all patchouli

Later - The patchouli finally started to die off - something a little sweeter coming through - maybe the nicotiana? Not entirely sure. Not bad...not a fav. Will probably pass it on.

MIDNIGHT KISS - I have a bottle of this on order but we got a frimp from the Lab and it immediately became one of my husband's favorite scents. He has taken the frimp and claimed the bottle that's on the way. The thing is, he's going to have to fight me for it. :P

Wet: Cocoa and red musk.

Dry on Skin: The first thing I smell when this hits my skin is a warm, nutty cocoa absolute. It sits side by side with the red musk which I find to be a glowing red, sultry, sensual musk with a sweet juicy bite to it.

After the scent has settled into my skin, the red musk dominates the scent. The cocoa absolute fades and I can smell the patchouli behind the red musk. Then something else happens as the scent morphs: I get a wine-like, warm, sandalwood aspect... with SPICE. It's as if there's a touch of hot dry spice that sort of brings all the notes together. It's my favorite part of this scent! If you like this glowing red musk scent you must also try Lampades, Red Phoenix, Blood Moon, Mme Moriarty, and Hollywood Babylon. But really, Midnight Kiss is worth checking out. It's so unique for a red musk scent. It is so sultry, spicy, and passionate.

Just got a frimp in my order also. I'll need to have several bottles of this on hand. I am a lover of blends with red musk in them, but I don't like it as a single note.

Someone above referred to this as Mme Moriarty's little sister and mentioned Bordello and after reading the above.....I'd have to say this is like Mme Moriarty without the patchouli leaf/peppery vibe it gives off but instead of going that direction in goes in the direction of a Smut/Bordello scent.

It's downright ravishing (as I knew it would be) and it's going to be in my top 10 BPAL for sure. I adore it and can't wait to slather myself in it. It's sexy and sweet (just like me.....LOL).

I received a frimp of this in my order :P

It smells like grape juice poured over baby powder and let to sit for a day on me. I think my body chemistry is broken or something. lol

Extremely sweet wine/fruit note up top. I agree with those who made Bordello comparisons. Oddly, I seem to get a whiff of baby aspirin as well.

Luckily as it dries down I get more of the red musk, amber and patch I had hoped for. I really like this stage, but I don't think I care much for the wine note.

No matter, I do think this will be very popular! The girls/guys who can wear wine are going to love it.

In the Bottle: I saw cherry cola on a few of the posts above- but actually to me it smells more like Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper after it's gone flat and warm- which is good for me because I kinda like flat Dr. Pepper.

Wet: Hm.... Kinda spicy, I can smell some of the sandalwood coming through, but I like it!! But there's a sweet undertone holding it all together (fruity? chocolatey? Hard to pin down).

10 Minutes Later: Still slightly sweet, almost in that soda-pop-syrup sort of way, but at the same time the sandalwood and musk and balancing out the sweetness. Slight incense-like smell now, and again I like it!!

An Hour Later: Not too much different from the above description. I still like it!!

I didn't give this scent a second look when I first read the description, in spite of the cocoa absolute. Boy, was I wrong!! I guess this just a lesson in keeping my mind open to possibilities! Strange, too, that out of my new shipment the first one I put on was the Midnight Kiss (a frimp for me!). If I had to pick a brief description for this scent, it would be: The finest liquer we have to offer!

UPDATE: Huh!!! After a bit I still couldn't decide if I liked my imp of Midnight Kiss or not- I keep swinging between liking it and not liking it. Yes and No both. I was letting (making) my DH sniff some imps and he sniffed that one and liked it. I told him it did make me think of a more masculine scent. He said "go for it" and held out his wrist. YUUUUUUUMMMMMMY! It smells soooo good on him!! Waaaay better than it did on me. So this is now a keeper for sure, and even better now my DH is wearing BPAL too!! (Come to the Dark Side....... Dum dum dum dum de dum dum de dum)

Edited by AleciaR

I got this lovely as a frimp from the Lab (while I wait for my bottle).

Wet: Oh no! Red musk--Red musk hates me and will hunt down and kill any perfume on me. I'm a little scared.

On and Dry: Baby! Oh, it's beautiful! The red musk has all but vanished, and now I smell wine, incense, woods, and yes, under it all, cocoa. JOY.

I most definitely see the family resemblance to Mme. Moriarty, here.

So glad I ordered a bottle. :P

I got a frimp of this from the lovely jessiesquash in our last swap. I really wanted to buy some of it with the last update, but decided that I probably wouldn't like it because of the cocoa. I always hate that in a scent.

Anyways, yesterday when the GF and I were going on a mad sampling spree, she let me put some on her. It was freakin' awesome. So I put some on me.

It's everything I ever wanted bloodlust to be. It's bloodlust with out the cinnamon. It's perfect. O.O

I really don't know how else to describe it. It's sweet and sexy and . . . perfect. :P

imp: something like cherry tootsie rolls.

wet: the sandalwood and patchouli come out and smell sweeter on me than usual. but there's more to it than that...

dry: ooh! ooh! ooh! now it smells all ambery! kinda like chocolately amber. very unusual. i just cannot stop sniffing this. i think i may have to order a bottle.

Frimp from lab with 'weenie order. :D

Since I was slightly dissappointed in my two 'weenie bottles I consoled myself by trying a titch of this on.....

HOLY WOW!!!!!!! It starts out with a cherry cola over patchouli/sandalwood scent that quickly dries into chocolate flavored high quality cigars with a glass of red wine. It ends up a vanilla-y sweet amber with hints of musk and sandalwood. The final dry down is the ultimate warm amber/musk combo I've been searching for since I started collecting bpal last January! Throw is moderate and best close to the skin. But this one DOES last! I applied it last night and it was still sweet and strong when I woke up this morning.

Just ordered a big bottle! I forsee using this one A LOT!!! (in fact, was tempted to order TWO bottles, but I just couldn't rationalize that.....almost did though!)

This might just rival Minotaur and MB: Closet as my new holy grail! :P

First sniff of the imp, straight out the package... cocoa. Way too much cocoa. I put it down, curious to try the other scents but not particularly enthralled.

Tried it again a few days later, showing all of the imps I recieved to a few friends as we all tested and commented... I found the sweetness more palatable, and started to detect the complexities of the scent.

Overall, while I am fond of it, found it to be too sweet for my usual tastes. The girlfriend, however, is in love with it.

I received Mignight Kiss as a frimp from the lab after I already had order several bottles. I haven't received them yet, I ordered them from the list of ingredients alone. Everything listed works for me. Imagine my surprise when I opened the imp and smelled cherries! Cherries isn't listed! What is this! Is something else in this imp by mistake? I looked at what others had written and they said the same thing. So I put some on and waited a bit to see what would happen. What happened was nothing short of pure genius! The musk is warm and spicy, the amber is subtle but does make itself known, and all the other notes blend together to make this wearable day and night. I knew right away when I read all the notes in this that I could not only wear it, but must have it. I'm really happy now that I purchased multiple bottles of it! :P

I was happy to get Midnight Kiss as a frimp from the lab. I read how one person described it as cherry cola. For me, and I suppose this is the wine coming out, it smells more like grape cola + chololate or chocolate covered grapes. I love it! The sandalwood and coa coa meshes with the other notes to make it not so bright, which is also good because bright scents can sometimes give me a headache. The over-all mood of this scent is "awake". It's also nice that this scent is hubby-approved (he only smells the grape in it, though hehe).

Wet, it's much more strong than the dry down, though it does have a throw. After about two hours, the scent is faint enough to not throw so far away, but just strong enough to remind you that you're wearing it.

Edited by KassiK

Despite the lack of cherry in it's description, I think Midnight Kiss smells remarkably like Bloody Mary AND Blood Kiss. The three of them on me smell nearly identical. Sweet cherries, vanilla and warm musk with a slight patchouli bite. It's very lovely (Blood Kiss and Bloody Mary are two favorites of mine so this IS right up my alley) though it is very similar to blends I already own. I already ordered a bottle though (before I got the free imp), but I don't regret it because it will surely get used :P