Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Pumpkin Smash

Pumpkin pulp, beeswax candles, smoke, asphalt, and beer!

i'm thrilled i was able to get a decant of this!

in the imp, i smell buttery pumpkin. not sweet or spicy or fruity at all, just extremely buttery.

when i apply it, i get pumpkin and tarry asphalt. i’ve never smelled asphalt in a perfume before! the combination works, however. i’m really enjoying this. the smoke and wax are there too, although not very strong. i don’t smell the beer.

i love having a pumpkin scent that’s not dessert-y. this is the scent of lit jack-o-lanterns on halloween night. i love it! just wish i’d gotten a bottle.

Wow this is interesting....

I am too much of a sweet fan for this to be my favourite pumpkin, specially when i have cheescake here but this is really really nice! It doesn't smell all that different in the bottle to the other pumpkins from this year but as soon as it dries down it is something very different! It's a spicy more mature pumpkin than the plump almost ready to rot. I like to think i can smell the candles and smoke in this, it makes it sit really nicely on the skin. The beer definatley doesn't have that smell that i have come to hate working in hospitality, it's really nice. It's dry down is quite close to pumpkin cheesecake without the sweetness and with more throw. If you haven't tried this give it a chance for sure!

:P

I like the idea of a non-sweet pumpkin, but the asphalt and smoke are a bit strong during the early phase of the drydown. The pumpkin mostly made itself known during the wet phase and became more of a background player during the drydown, adding sweetness and spice. In fact, the end phase isn't bad, being mostly soft spice (cinnamon and clove?).

Great concept and worth trying, but I certainly wouldn't need a bottle.

I really can't say why I swapped for this. Nothing in the description appealed to me. Pumpkins? Eh. Asphalt? Beer? OMGWTF!No! Beeswax candles? Okay!

So, I got it. . . and it's nice. Pumpkin-y and spicy and only slightly beer-ish. I don't see myself wearing it much, but it was nice to get to try it.

I really, really love this! Truly tricky - as usually booze and smoke are killers on me, and pumpkin is often too foody in an off way.

First on this is screaming pumpkin, with a strong cider-like tang. It hangs out like that for a while, and then dries down into a lovely, soft, pumpkin scent. Not too sweet, but the beeswax lurks underneath with a wonderful smoothness.

Thank you Puddin'! You managed to surprise me anyway. :P

p.s. and I LOVE my Trick shirt.

I love the beeswax note, but I can only pick out the pumpkin and beer in Pumpkin Smash, and I'm not overly fond of it. The pumpkin is spicy and a bit buttery. The beer makes the whole blend a bit sour and off to my nose and there's a sharp twang of something like woodsmoke. The overall impression on my skin is a gritty, dirty pumpkin. I wish this were more beeswax and candles on my skin than booze and pumpkin.

Bottle: Pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin butter.

Wet: Pumpkin with something chalky/caulky --is this the asphalt note? :P There's a thin sliver of something sweet, which is probably either the beeswax or the beer.

Drydown: Smokey, sour beer over the background of pumpkin.

Dry: Smokey, sour beer that's very faded.

My rating: 2/5. It starts out nice and promising, but eh, it's not for me.

Pumpkin Smash – What a great scent! This has got to be my favorite pumpkin scent ever! It’s pumpkiny, spicy-smoky, and very boozy. It’s the most unique pumpkin scent I’ve encountered, and it’s really gorgeous in a foody kind of way. Sadly, the beeswax takes over in a matter of minutes and the whole scent turns to a waxy-plastic scent. I imagine it smells phenomenal in a scent locket or as a room scent.

The lovely ladyjc was kind enough to send me a decant of this!

In the imp:

Buttery pumpkin, similar to the way a lot of the pumpkin blends smell to me in the imp. I know by now how different they can smell when they hit the skin, as I've tried all of this year's Pumpkin Plunder, along with Jack, Pumpkin Cheesecake, and Pumpkin Queen.

Wet:

Pumpkin and... burning rubber? Oh, no. I have yet to wash off any BPAL blend without first letting it dry down to see what it will smell like, so I'll be letting this one dry just in case it turns out lovely. The burning rubber does back off quite a bit after the first 5 minutes or so, and it's starting to smell like mostly pumpkin and beeswax.

Dry:

This dries down a lot less scary than I would have imagined. I will use up the imp, but I'm not sure if I will seek out a full bottle, particularly since I own a large number of pumpkin blends already.

Just a quickie review before I send this on its way to a better home:

Bonfire Night, but with pumpkin and less tar/asphalt. Sweet & buttery cut with a sharp cinder note. Mid-dry-down I'm getting pineapples & ham with a bit of yeasty beer in the back. Like someone dropped their plate AND their beer on the way back to the patio... Fun, yes! Wearable? Nyerhe.

I enjoyed sniffing Pumpkin Smash--it's Jack without the butter and definitely not a dessert scent; it's for pumpkin purists with a little extra atmosphere thrown in (I couldn't have said, "oh that's asphalt!" or anything, but it does have a slightly outdoor-autumn-night quality). However, there's no beating Samhain for non-dessert pumpkin-related autumnal goodness, so a sniff was enough. Fun concept!

I really like Pumpkin Smash! The funny thing is, I never read the reviews for it or the description, so I had no idea what it was SUPPOSED to smell like. I don't get asphalt or beer at all, fortunately! :P I do get what I thought was honey, but must be beeswax. I also get sweet, spicy, smoky incense. Very nice non-foody pumpkin scent. It's what I wanted Pumpkin King to be!

first off, i'm very grateful to the forumite who is the reason i can try this! :P

sniffed from the decant: smells like Jack. and an eensy bit like Shill.

on skin: the yummy-rich Jackness fades, and the almost-popcorn scent is still there but it becomes much more plain popcorn or hops, almost yeasty.

i really don't smell that much pumpkin out of this - not the "pumpkin pie" type scent, or the scent of real, squishy, jack-o-lantern-innards, either. this quickly develops a bitter sort of note (asphalt? smoke?) on me that the caveman part of my brain doesn't like.

Fire Bad, Tree Pretty - no like this on me!

quick edit: after awhile, i do get more of a Roadhouse type of beer scent wafting around. and... pineapple, maybe?

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

i knew i would love pumpkin smash. at first it is all pumpkin and smoke. i don't really think it smells like pumpkin innards- it's like the pumpkin in any of my favorite pumpkin patch scents, just less sweet and dressed up. nonetheless, the buttery pumpkin/smoke combo is a real winner. it stays like that for a while until the final drydown, which is heavy on the beeswax. sweet, smooth beeswax. i will be holding onto this one!

In the Bottle: The main thing I pick up is butter... so much butter that it is making me slightly nauseous. Wait. I suppose that is pumpkin waaaaay in the background.

Wet: More butter. Honey? (I guess that's the beeswax but it smells more like honey than wax to me)

Dry after about 30 minutes: The butter is gone and what is left is a sweet pumpkin pie spice fragrance with a tiny bit of wax thrown in for good measure. It is dissipating fairly quickly.

Not for me.

Pumpkin Smash

In the imp: sweet buttery pumpkin with a golden aspect, like Pumpkin Queen.

Wet on skin: pumpkin and something sweet and malty which isn’t too beery yet.

Dry on skin: mmm, I like this! The pumpkin here is lovely-a sweet, almost amber-tinged pumpkin with hints of spice, very much like my beloved Pumpkin Queen. I also smell the beer, which is lovely. I never thought I’d say that but the beer here doesn’t have that blatant hops note that makes me smell too much like a pub crawling student. This is a light, sweet brew. I also smell the beeswax, which is lovely and honeyed and golden, less like candles and more like honeycomb. The pumpkin pulp is a bit more cooked and buttered in scent than I expected, but it’s one of the nicest pumpkin notes. I smell a hint of smoke, but no asphalt.

After a while: this smells like Pumpkin Queen’s pumpkin with beeswax instead of amber, but it has the same mushy, almost jammy sweetness I got in the Queen, and that same golden incense-resinous aspect. This is an incense-y pumpkin, and I love that…I think the smoke only enhances that incense like scent, as does the candle note. The beer is so pleasant in here-it’s not at all like the beer in Roadhouse, but sweet and grainy without smelling of lager! It does get a little smokier and grittier at drydown, I smell a hint of tar (or vetiver) coming out now, but it’s very subtle.

Verdict: from the notes listed, I thought that this would smell pretty bad. But then I smelt Bonfire Night, which also has beer and tar, and that was lovely, which raised my hopes for Pumpkin Smash. But this scent is even prettier than expected…in fact, this reminds me of the amber-sweet pumpkin scents (Pumpkin Queen and Pumpkin V) but darker and smokier. It’s an almost resinous-incense pumpkin, and the beeswax candle note in here is gorgeous. The beer adds a hint of sweetness and the asphalt note I get is more like vetiver than actual tarmac, and enhances the smoky drydown. This is a really pleasant scent and it’s a lovely dark pumpkin scent. It’s not my outright favourite but it’s one of the pumpkin scents I like better than most.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Just the imp, maybe.

Expectations: The Headless Horseman after a long night at the pub.

In vial: This smells exactly like Shill! Completely weird and unexpected, but I'll probably disappointed when it morphs into a more pumpkiny scent.

On skin, wet: Whoa. Completely different than in the vial. I'm getting mostly candle from it. A little bit of asphalt.

On skin, dry: Candles and asphalt still. It's a bit acrid.

After time: It's a lit jack-o-lantern sitting at the edge of a new driveway. After 15 minutes, it started smelling a little buttery again, but this is like real butter, not the fake butter of Shill. 45 minutes and I still haven't gotten any beer (a good thing!). The butteryness faded or blended in.

Conclusion: Oh man, I love this. The fact that it smells like food-scented candle rather than smelling like actual food is probably appealing to me, since most of my scent experiences have been with candles. Hopefully one of the billion slightly less rare pumpkin scents will make me as happy as this one.

I was afraid of this one, but desperate to try it.

Imp: sweet, buttery, not much smoke or pumpkin, really...

wet: Mmmmm spicy night!

dry down: Oh, boo, this fades too quickly! So lovely -- THIS is what an Autumn night should smell like all the time. Simply wonderful! Sort of a light pumpkin with the smoke mellowing it down a bit. The beeswax didn't do that strange spoiled-smell on me that it usually does, either.

This is pure pumpkin in the imp, which makes me feel better about putting the asphalt and beer on my skin, but we'll see what happens.

Weirdly, like Spiked Punch, this one all but disappears on me, wet on the skin. I can smell a hint of pumpkin close up and a bit more wafting around from a distance, but I'm hoping it gets stronger. What is it about me and the Inquisition scents? Immediately after I wrote that, of course, the scent strengthened up. The rule of complaining on the 'net works! Ahem. At any rate, I can't say I'm getting asphalt or beer. Just pumpkin, which I'm not complaining about, but it's sort of a single note at this point.

Eventually I got some beeswax, candle scent, but no asphalt, no beer, so this is a pleasant pumpkin candle scent. Interesting, but probably not worth keeping just to say I have it when I have other pumpkin scents I like.

Slightly foody, definitely pumpkin-y.

This is the quissential pumpkin scent. Not WHAM in your face pumpkin, but a more complex pumpkin.

I can smell the melted wax from the beeswax candle, I smell smoke from the burning candle and I can also smell asphalt.

This starts off really foody - like it wants to be pumpkin pie, but then realizes it's not!

It feels masculine with the beer and smoke, but why does that have to be masculine...

I adore pumpkin scents, and this one does not disappoint. In fact I would have to say that is pretty high up on my list.

I like pumpkin scents. In the beginning, this is very pumpkinny but as it dries, all the other elements come out. I get a little beeswax and the beer. The beer actually makes this blend less buttery and more manageable.

This is much sweeter than I expected. The strongest note start to finish is rich, buttery pumpkin. I don't get as much sense of spice as other people seem to. There's just a slight hint when wet, with a liberal amount of booze and beeswax. The wax is fuzzy and almost sugary.

As it dries, more of the other notes reveal themselves. Some of the alcohol scent of the beer dissipates and it just leaves the sweet, malty scent. I smell what I think is leather, but must be the asphalt. It's dark and cool, and when totally dry there's a slight grittiness, like a drop of brimstone. Unfortunately this doesn't become very smoky on me.

So in short, it's: sweet boozy pumpkin, wax, and a hint of grit. To be honest, I wish it was more grit and less pumpkin, but this is a very nice scent, if you want a pumpkin that is not strictly foody.

I had to try Pumpkin Smash for two reasons. One, for the pumpkin of course. Two, for the asphalt *snickers*. I work in the asphalt industry so this was a must have.

Fortunately, I don't get anything but pumpkin but slightly waxy? It's not quite pie or cookies. I'm not sure what it is exactly, the pulp? Makes sense. I just love it.

Edited by boxinghelena

This is the best pumpkin spice cake ever made, woof!

The exquisite foody scent does die back after about an hour, leaving the honey sweetness of beeswax. I get no smoke or asphalt or beer.

Damn good, I just wish it could stay as amazing as when it's wet.

In imp: PUMPKINNNNN!!!!! I can't detect any of the other notes, although the beeswax is probably just mixing with the pumpkin well.

On Skin: Pumpkin and asphalt. Pumpkin is more prominent, then asphalt comes out later. It’s kind of weird. It doesn’t blend, but I like it. I’m starting to smell the beeswax candles, but I don’t smell the beer. Later, the smoke and asphalt mellow out and blend more. I love this pumpkin note, but it’s not the pumpkin scent I was looking for.