Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Schrodinger's Cat

A paradoxical scent experiment! - tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.

Schrodinger's Cat is heavily lavender at first, but gives way to the citrus fruits. The final stages are smooth and creamy... slightly herbal, slightly citrus, but quite lovely.

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I definitely would never have ordered this; I don't wear chocolate notes and there's an awful lot of citrus as well.

In the Vial: Shockingly sweet and candy-like...very Jolly Rancher.

Wet: The peppermint comes surging out, so strong it's almost like an antiseptic against the sweet candy fruit. And I think the lavender is tagging along.

Drydown: All of the notes soften, but what's left is this sort of muddle that's almost baby-soft and almost sugary and almost minty.

Verdict: Not with this skin chemistry.

This was a really odd one for me. My notes, such as they are:

In bottle: Bleah, an assault of strong unidentifiable aroma.

On me, wet: Strong! Perfumey – or cat pee-y? Agh!

On me, drying: Getting better now. I can now detect the “sparkling” quality other people mentioned in their reviews. This is a peculiar, complicated smell and I still don’t know how to classify it. It makes my brain feel confused, and yet it’s kind of growing on me. There’s a sort of spicy zestiness to it – sometimes it seems vaguely cinnamon-y, but the cinnamon is layered and fused with so many other unidentifiable notes that I really don’t know for sure. Was expecting it to be fruity, but it’s really not. I don’t know what it is. Will I wear this again? I don't know!

Later: I guess the deal is that I’m smelling only the notes I didn’t buy the imp for? “Tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.” I don’t smell the tangerine, sugared lime, grapefruit, or chocolate peppermint, but I guess now that you mention it “oakmoss” and “lavender” seem like likely candidates for what I’m smelling. And I don’t know wtf “zdravetz” is, so I can’t weigh in on that. Neat word, though. ETA: I looked it up and it's a floral. Okay, I can see that.

Still Later: I read so many reviews of this one that described it as sweet, bright citrus, but I really don’t get much citrus at all except conceptually (there is a “zinginess” that I guess is… citrus-esque?). It's very potent. Finally it fades to a vague floral-ish sweetness. So long, Cat. It was... interesting.

~~Schrodinger's Cat~~

Expectations: I was hoping for a wild ride from this imp.....

In the Imp: When I sniffed this, I couldn't pick out a single note. There was some hint of foody, but there was no single note that stuff out....which was NOT what I was expecting!

Wet: I got quite a "clinical" feeling from the scent on my wrist. Certainly the citrus notes came out first, then the moss....it wasn't exactly a remarkable combination, but that's what I got.

Dry: Citrus and moss....where was the unexpected Chocolate Peppermint?? Halllooooooo? (greeting echoes back here...)

Verdict: I never got even so much as a whiff of the chocolate peppermint. This was a straightforward citrus and moss fragrance. There may have been a few flowers lurking under the moss, but not enough for me to mention here. :huh?: Like getting on a rollercoaster and not getting a single stomach-drop or laugh....sigh.... glad others had a brilliant experience with this, cuz I certainly liked the idea!!

Hmm...in the imp I don't get any chocolate peppermint at all...it's almost entirely the tangerine, lime, grapefruit and oakmoss. A bright citrussy scent mellowed out by oakmoss. I don't even get the lavender (and I won't lie, I know know what zfravetz is--ok, google says its geranium...huh).

Ok, on my skin I start to get the other notes in there a bit, definitely the lavender and maybe some peppermint...still no chocolate though. I would still say it is primarily a mixture of the first 4 notes listed in the blend.

Yes, that is mostly what I got from this blend-the first four notes, with occasional appearances from the other notes in the blend-like whoa, where'd you come from lavender? Peppermint? Still never got any chocolate though.

Admittedly, this blend was a bit of a disappointment for me-it faded super fast, and was too citrus heavy for what I had wanted!

My first review of my very first BPAL scent! I just got my first bunch and this is the first one I'm trying.

OK, here goes:

In the bottle: Sweet, tart citrus cut with something I can't place. Maybe the moss or the lavender? I saw a review that mentioned "fizzy" and I'm totally getting that. Effervescent. Not nearly as overpowering as I was expecting given the description. This is a good start--it is so easy for citrus scents to smell like something you'd clean the floors with and this does not, not one bit.

Wet: A more floral tone is starting to come out slightly. To me this seems almost unisex, which isn't a bad thing. It's complex. I like that the citrus I'm smelling is a blend, not one citrus note sticking out over the others. Lavender is not my favorite so I'm glad I'm not really getting that. Starting to get that little edge of mint.

Dry: Softer. Less tart, but still bright. I really, really like this so far--I had a strong inkling that I might; I love citrus-based scents. Never did pick up on any chocolate though! My guy is the real test. He's got a sensitive nose and it's easy for some scents to give him a headache. I think I'll definitely use up this imp and it's definitely got bottle potential. I'm hoping the scent won't fade too quickly.

Edit: Well, this doesn't last as long on me as I'd like so far, but I'm still pretty enamored with it and my guy didn't mind it. Score!

Edited by moon8305

I'm getting pver a head cold right now so I'll be re-testing this one once I'm back to full nose strength, but I'm getting a delightful burst of sugared citrus notes. Not exactly the grapefruit note I've come to recognize, more tangerine and a pinch of lime. Not getting much else, but that's just fine with me ;) This may be even better than Croquet to try to enable my mom since she loves citrus scents!

All I get from this is citrus and sugary grapefruit, none of the other notes. It fades very fast and is a little too reminiscent of dish soap.

First impression: Could not narrow down what the smell was in the bottle. When I first put it on it was a nice bright and fruity smell with a little bit of spice in the background.

After an hour: The citrus fades really fast and leaves with a soft musky/spicy scent, probably the oakmoss and lavender. It also has a peppermint smell, but it smells more like the dried peppermint that I use for tea rather than peppermint oil. Fades away rather gradually after that and ends up smelling like I just washed my wrists with that yellow Dial soap.

Overall: I rather enjoyed both stages, but I would much rather it kept it's fruity citrus notes. It doesn't last long enough to wear all day so I guess I might just wear it when I go someplace after work. I probably will use the imp, but I don't see myself buying any more.

In the Bottle: mmm, tangerine! That's about all I'm getting out of the imp

Wet: tart tangerine

Drydown:morphing into a sweeter tangerine, I'm catching hints of the other citrus smells as well now.

Dry: Slowly mellowing out to the sugar in the sugared lime and the pink grapefruit, then it becomes very reminiscent of child's cough sryup.

Further Changes: Ok, good, it's back to sugared lime now.

Overall: doesn't seem to be morphing from the last state at all, and it's gone after about 3 hours. eh, it's ok, not something that I'm in love with, kinda fun though

This was really interesting. It opened with the fruity notes, I could discern all of the lime, tangerine and grapefruit. As it started to dry the lavender came out and the citrus receded a little bit. The chocolate peppermint was detected about an hour or so in. It wasn't overly foody, but a bright sunny kind of smell. I could see this wearing very well in the summer. The citrus notes accompany the lavender and sweetness of the peppermint/chocolate combo quite nicely.

• If this oil had a color, it would be a faint purple with orange swirls roaming about...

The first note I smell while drying is all of the citrus dancing around each other. Not really too much complexity here.

• The rest of the notes, in order is a faint bite of mint, and a faint sweetness. Pretty vague compared to all of the citrus screaming out at me.
  • Dry, it's a little more to my liking. The sweetness amps, and I am now able to identify it as lavender. Wow, I didn't know I liked lavender so much! The oakmoss also leaves a nice after-smell, but I am very partial to oakmoss soo... the citrus is still obviously there, but they've settled into their roles nicely. Its like a 51/49 ratio, citrus leading just barely over the lavender/oakmoss combo. After about 10 minutes the chocolate peppermint comes out to play, thankfully. Its surprising how well all of these notes work together.
  • The scent made me feel contridictory, which holds very true to its name. I was energized yet restful. It was like I was sitting outside in the cold in a lavender garden with hot cocoa in one hand and OJ in the other.
  • This lasts only a little while, unfortunately. I'd say it died down after an hour, and faded for maybe two tops.
  • The throw was decent for the first 20 minutes, but it is a close-to-skin scent for the remainder of its wear.
  • Verdict: Bought a bottle of it. I wish there was a scent like this without the citrus that would last a long while, but I haven't found it yet - so for now this will have to do. I think I'll warm up to it once spring/summer comes around - I tend to like citrus more during those months. Plus, I absolutely adore the name - my dad used to talk about the experiment a lot with me when I was little - so its a tad nostalgic as well.

On the skin: Citrus and something green... Very strange. I am afraid that this one is very headache inducing for me.... Not good for me....

After an hour or so, this scent has turned into an effervescent/musky lemon scent. Not much throw, but very interesting.

Edited by Catseyes

I'm only a newbie, but this is my favourite BPAL so far. I'm not great a picking out particular notes, but to me this scent is all sparkle and zing. It has a very fresh, 'awake' sort of feel to it and for me, it brings teh happy!

I only get the lavender quite faintly, which pleases me as lavender scents give me a granny vibe! The mint is quite subtle as well, just enough for a little sparkle around the edges.

The only downside to this little kitty is a bit of a lack of staying power - it fades off quite quickly, but it's so lovely that I don't mind having to reapply. I have a bottle on the way.

This scent is very light and airy. Sugared citrus is what it's like for me in the imp and wet/dry on the skin. I couldn't pick out a hint of lavender or peppermint and am surprised to see them as part of the mix.

The biggest downside of this scent is the lasting power. I see that others have that problem also. It's not even 2 hours after I put it on and it's completely gone. Nose pressed against the wrist and not a hint of any smell. Not worth the purchase since I'd have to reapply too regularly.

Imp: Citrus and mint! I can clearly pick out bitter grapefruit.

Wet: the lavender pops out from the citrus and warms everything up on my skin. No sign of chocolate or sugar.

Dry: ...oh. Oakmoss is in this? That note that turns to pine-scented soap on me? Cool. Great. Yeah. At least it's a citrusy kind of soap. This is a scent I'd love to have in a shower gel. As a perfume, though, it would smell like I'm still in the shower. No thanks!

Also, what the heck is zdravetz, besides an amazing scrabble word?

MMMmmmmmm lovely sweet citrus. Hints of grape fruit and the floral lavender trying to peek through. So fresh and orangey I :heart: it. A lovely spring scent, perfect for March :D

Frimp in one of my orders.

This is an interesting scent. I wasn't sure if this particular combination of notes was going to work but the result is fascinating. Plus, I learned what zdravetz is and I'm amused when perfume educates me. =D

In the imp, this is pure tangerine. Wet, a sweet lime emerges with a hint of lavender in the background. During the drydown stage, the oil takes on a citrusy chocolate scent with a touch of peppermint. It smells exactly like those chocolate oranges you whack on the table in order to break apart the segments (I love these, by the way). Dry, this becomes a perfumey citrus, with all other notes vanishing. I think the lavender and zdravetz is responsible for this.

I'm on the fence about an upgrade. I love fresh, clean citrus scents but this is one is just a smidge too perfumey for me. I need to do a few retests before making up my mind.

At first it's sharp zingy citrus. As it dries teh citrus cools and sweetens a bit. It leaves too quickly. mint and chocloate and florals never show.

Edited by BuxomM

Schrödinger's Cat

This perfume is essentially a thought experiment. It's mostly citrus, but it's such an unusual citrus. Zesty and soft at the same time. The soft part of it reminds me of Dorian. I can also smell the lavender. Fascinating.

4.3 out of 5

This stuff is great.

Citrus-y in the bottle with a hint of chocolate mint. On my skin, the sweet citrus stood out with a little bit o' lavender but the chocolate mint disappeared -_- And the scent didn't last long. That is the only problem I have with it.

In bottle: Bright and crisp citrus scents, a hodge podge of jewel like colors. A hint of lavendar weaves in and out.

Wet on skin: All brutal citrus. Somewhere between grapefruit and lime... this is so strong scented that my tongue is watering as if imagining the acidity, not entirely in a good way.

Dry down: Citrus amps and warps on my skin and this appears to be no exception. I get massive amounts of pledge-like grapefruit/lime with a soapy under tone. Lavendar is no where to be found. It makes my eyes water a little bit :huh?: Alas. Another scent destroyed by citrus.

In Bottle: lavender, citrus and mint

Wet: lavender is the dominant scent layered on top of the citrus melody with the mint providing a base.

Dry: The citrus melody comes forward with the grapefruit really popping. The lavender fades to the background and the chocolate/mint adds toning more then a noticeable scent to the mixture.

Notes: This is a great little scent. The grapefruit/lavender/choc mint combo is delicious.

In the imp: Weeeiirrrddddd! Citrus lavender. Sharp!

On my skin: Do I really want to put thi on my skin? Hmmm..here it goes...yep citrus and lavender. LOTS of lavender. Lavender doesn't like me.

Dry: This dries into a bathroom spray/dryer sheet scent. There's soemthing else in here that smells...odd. This scent just doesn't make sense to me, much like Schrodinger's experiment.

Not for me! Off to swaps!