Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Schrodinger's Cat

A paradoxical scent experiment! - tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.

This is a very odd scent on me! At first I get a lot of lavendar but almost instantly it turns citrusy. After an hour or so I'm getting a chocolate edge to it, and eventually that fade away so it's just citrus.

I don't really know how to describe this one. It smells very bright and happy, sweet and citrus (not orange though). Honestly it makes me think of bubbles, in a good way.

Smells nothing like I thought it would, but I really enjoy it.

How could I not buy a scent called Schrödinger's Cat? :D I've now used up my entire imp, so it might be time to review it. :P

In the imp: Mostly citrus, underscored by a light peppermint

On me: It starts out almost single note pink grapefruit, and I actually like that more than I thought I would! Once the scent settles down I get tangerine/pink grapefruit with an edge of sugar (but the lime seems lost). I get zero oakmoss, no lavender (which is odd, because my skin usually won't swallow lavender whole) and not chocolate peppermint, having no clue what zdravetz is I don't dare make a statement on it, but it's tangerine/sweet pink grapefruit on me all the way.

The staying power is pretty good for something that's predominantly citrus and I can usually smell a faint sweet grapefruit even at the end of the day. I'm usually not big on citrus scents, but I'm actually debating whether or not I don't want more of this.

i just put this on literally five minutes ago and i already have to sniff hard to smell it at all. and i was definitely being generous with the imp wand. when i do sniff hard all i smell is lavender. it smells nice in the imp but smells like hardly anything on my wrist. no 5 ml for me

Schroedinger's Cat

In the imp, wet: sharp, tart, wet, clean orange smell.

On skin, wet: Lavender! Holy lavender.

On skin, dry: As it dries down the orange starts to peek out again. There's almost a piney edge among the lavender. This is a very clean smell. I think I'm getting some mint too? (doing the review without looking at the notes).

This is quite delicious. It stays well clear of perfumey, headachey land and is airy and fresh (I like heavier scents, but something like this is a lovely contrast). I ordered this for the concept, but am really glad that I like the scent so much.

This also reminds me of something which I can't quite place - it triggers a memory but I can't put my finger on it. A fond memory.

This isn't quite as unusual a scent as I was hoping for, but I do like it a lot and it will be good for days when I want a light, fresh scent. Will treasure my imp.

What an unusual, beautiful scent!

Wet, this is all citrus and zing, with sugar, florals, and something more pungent (peppermint, lavender, how I adore thee) underneath. On the skin, this is a bright and sassy sugared citrus-floral, with some unusual interest added by the chocolate peppermint, which is so subtle as to be what helps make this blend so wonderful, but doesn't overpower it in any way (on me, anyway).

On far drydown, the grapefruit seems to end up winning the ascendancy over the tangerine and lime -- I've never noticed lime to have a lot of staying power -- with the delicate chocolate peppermint maintaining itself. The blend doesn't last very long on me, but while it does, throw is medium-light.

I see bright lime-yellow when I smell this oil; very uplifting! This is definitely a "wake me up" blend and I love it for its unusualness. It's not something I would wear often, but that said, I find it to be a beautiful, fun scent and would always want an imp on hand!

When I first got my bottle of this in January, it was really zingy and bright. All I could really smell was citrus, with a bit of mint on the drydown. It was good, though - very fresh and sweet. Now that it's a bit more aged, it's still very citrussy at first, but I can definitely smell the other notes. The lavender is apparent and the mint is smoother, which I interpret as the chocolate note. I like it, it's so fun. It reminds me of sweets, but not in a sickly or foody way.

This is a fun scent, citrus, chocolate and a little peppermint. Quite nice, but not really the kind of thing I wear.

It fades a bit fast but that can be expected with citrus and peppermint. Happy and fun in an unusual way.

In the bottle and wet on me this one is really citrus. There are hints of lavender, but thats all.

On the dry down I can get the chocolate and mint if I get close enough and pay attention, but it's not very strong. I do like citrus

I just wish that wasn't all I got. It also doesn't last very well on me, except the tangerine, which is something I like and wear as a single note.

I like it, but I'm not sure I could justify a bottle of it.

Wet, this is a bright rush of tanginess that isn't really identifiable as any single note. As it dries, the lavender comes out more until that's the predominant note. There's a very faint hint of warm sweet chocolate peppermint behind it...that doesn't turn to pepperminty evil on me! I would never have let this touch my skin if I'd remembered it had peppermint in it! (I'd mainly gotten it for my boyfriend, on whom it is in fact lovely sparkly citrus-lavender). The lavender isn't the heavy, sultry, almost jasmine-like lavender that I get from, say, TKO. This is a light, airy, more herbal variety. It's overall a very awake and refreshing scent, without being all cold and sinus-attacking. Yum! :P

My only quibble is that it doesn't have much throw at all and fades fairly quickly. This would make an amazing linen or room scent, or for putting into one's morning shower products, where its relatively short half-life would actually be an advantage since you wouldn't be locked into smelling like it all day if you didn't want to.

I didn't recall what the notes were in this one until I had already tried on the scent and looked it up. But the first thing I thought when I tried it on was, "Tangerine!" and indeed, that's what it is :P

I don't get chocolate peppermint... at all. I mean, I've been trying to sniff that out in this scent and I just... don't get it. I do get tangerine and lime and lavender though, and it reminds me a great deal of Cheshire Cat. It's pleasant in it's citrusy herbal uplifting vibe, but not for me.

In the Imp: Very citrus-y, but I think I can find the mellow chocolate

Wet: Citrus without the cleaning solution-type bite. It's fun! I can find the lime, the grapefruit and something mellowing them out, but not sure if it's the chocolate.

Dry: It's one of those magical morphing scents! Awesome! I can smell a mellow chocolate-y tone to the lime and tangerine (which has taken over the grapefruit), but I still can't quite get the peppermint.

Overall: Exactly what I'd been looking for in a citrus scent. Bright and cheery without being cloying, enough subtle undertones to reel it in and keep it from smelling medicinal. The imps definitely a keeper, and it may hit my "full bottle" list in time for summer. :P

As a chemistry person I had to try this out!

In the imp: I can smell pretty much every note except the mint (well, and whatever zdravetz is :P of course I had to google it after I typed that-- geranium). It's primarily lime and grapefruit, but the oakmoss and lavender are there too.

Wet: A little more bitter, I'm guessing the lavender and geranium are amping some.. and its also a bit more tangeriney now. I think I can get the "chocolate mint" bit, but I'm not sure I'd have guessed it as such. It's very well blended... every note has an equal probability of being smelled :D

Dry: This is the smell of rubbing a citrus fruit's peel.. sweet, but also bitter and astringent. It's mostly lime and tangerine, and the longer it wears the less bitter it is (guess I'm not a big lavender amper) I'm not a huge citrus fan, but I do like having a range of scents to choose from, and I'll probably get a bottle of this because I love the concept so much, and I think it's a great citrus blend, very interesting!

Edited by MCS4096

Testing EveningStar's--she's married to a scientist and loves her kittehs, so of course she has this! Ooo, tangerine and lavender! Both are immediately distinct when wet, and they work surprisingly well together--the ultimate in clean and bright scents. :P There's a hint of sweetness in the citrus (the sugared lime?) to keep the lavender from making it too sharp. What a great fruity, summery scent--it could have been part of the Tiki Lounge Bar. If you missed that LE series, try this.

I'm not getting the chocolate...but I guess I'll have to experiment again another time and see.

In the imp: Crazy. Contradictory is right -- I think the most dominant thing I'm getting is lime, but it's sorta all over the board.

Wet: Lime, citrus, oddness. Could be the mint chocolate monkeying around in there that's making it so... unsettling. It's unsettling, like walking through a house that's tilted two degrees sideways, just enough to feel off-kilter without being really noticable. Sort of like the idea of a dead-and-alive cat, really.

Drying: Really bright and fresh and citrusy. I might just fall for this one. That would be awesome, 'cause I want an excuse to buy a bottle, 'cause the bottle art is so cute. :)

EDIT: Giving this a full day's wear, it gets even more bizarre -- it's gone Glasgow-y! What the?

Edited by Ravenclaw79

One of my first loves from my first BPAL order! (The other being Tombstone… go figure.) I loved it from the first but didn't have the nose to distinguish notes at first, so I put off reviewing it for a while.

Schrödinger's Cat goes on a green, green citrus scent. I can smell lime and mint in it. It's sweet but citrusy all at once. There's an underlying green there too, the green of oakmoss, which gives it some depth and richness.

After about two hours, the citrus has mostly faded and I'm left with a lovely, tart greenness.

This kitty fades in about five hours to a subtle, green scent (the moss). This is a good green for me because (unlike anything grassy-smelling) it never develops a "scorched grass" smell on me.

By the end of the day, this is a faint, green scent.

I love that this is such a green scent and yet it still works on my skin! I've struggled for years (pre-BPAL) with grassy scents that go all wrong on me, hoping that someday I could find something refreshing and really green that stays true to the greenness over time. This scent is my first experience with that.

Recaplet: Dark green, citrusy, minty goodness! Favorite.

My rating: 5 of 5 (I LOVE IT!!!)

Color Impression: Deep emerald green.

I was probably lured into trying this one because of the name and concept. :) Lemon and other citrus fruits are definitely the most prominent notes. Bright and cheery. Mint, a light trace of lavender, and just a tiny bit of moss are definitely noticeable after the first few minutes. No idea what zdravetz is or if I can smell it here, unfortunately. I don't get any chocolate per se but there's something smooth/creamy rounding out the citrus after it dries down. Pretty and certainly quirky (though the first time I tested it I got kooky soap), but fades quickly and I'm just not crazy for it, mainly because I'm very picky about fruit or citrus heavy scents.

In Bottle - Hm, mostly limes, soft citrus, not too zesty.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - I'm getting spirited bursts of lime and grapefruit, not syrupy in the least, but not exactly fresh fruit. Probably most similar to the juice of those fruits. Definitely no chocolate mint for me, but that doesn't much bother. It would be...crazy to smell alongside the rest of this oil. Fun, but I'd be surprised to pick up on it.

Dry, on Skin - After a few hours, settles down to a gentle citrus tea (?); could be the lavender just adding an herbal element that my nose translates into fruit tea. Never did get much in the way of chocolate, but if I sniff with 'mint' in mind, I pick up a little. The lasting power is pretty great, especially for a citrus-heavy fragrance (4+ hours as of right now, with a lot of wrist activity all day :P). The throw is soft, definitely the hug-n-smell range, not the "mm, that is...just like Schrodinger's Cat in perfume form!" from a few feet away range. I would definitely consider ordering a bottle, just because I don't have much in the way of fresh, not candy-sweet, fruit/citrus scents. I'll definitely pay attention to how my imp ages, I wonder if the chocolate and lavender leer about more the older it gets.

Edited by AlarmAgent

I was so intrigued by this, and was happy to receive an imp from a dear friend I just found out has been on the forum for years! :D

The notes are so interesting to me, and in the imp they're blended in this happy, sweet, citrus mint craziness. A couple of hours later, though, it's all but disappeared to the point that I get a vague sweetness, but nothing I can point to or really review properly. Oh, Cat! I wanted to love you!

I received this as a frimp. Sugary and sweet. Nothing I've ever smelled before. It's nice! It's playful and girly! I don't get much grapefruit and I think that might be a good thing, since that scent repels me. Unfortunately, I don't know if I am a sugary citrus sort of girl. If you are, you'd probably like it!

Another random draw from the imp shoe box o' dooooooom! I loved this one in the imp and on application. It was bright and sunny, a wee bit fizzy even. The tangerine added some citrus charm without the bite, the lavendar was lovely, and mmmmmmint. But at the drydown, the cat has gone funny. The brightness is gone and there's a vaguely unpleasant mustiness coming out. The oakmoss, maybe?

Oh my me. This is all citrus brightness and happiness on me with a hint of chocolate if I sniff very deeply. I would be more coherent but that would involve pulling my arm away from my nose. Imp. Must have it. Now. :wub2:

Sniffing the imp, it's lime, grapefruit, and lavender to my nose.

On my skin, initially I get lime, tangerine, and lavender. Goes a bit herbal about a minute or two after application. Dries down to citrus, lime, and lavender. I'm not really getting any peppermint or chocolate on my skin.

I love the initial citrus-y smell of this imp, but what I particularly like is the way it calms and the individual notes come out when it's on my skin. It does morph rather crazily on my skin, but the end result is a light, crispy, and slightly spicy citrus scent.