Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Venice

A complex, voluptuous scent that captures the robust beauty and of the Italian Renaissance: lemon, red currant, wisteria, red rose petals, heady jasmine, Florentine orris root, waterlily, red sandalwood, violet plum, and violet leaf.

Received as giftage from the Labbies ... This is one that always caught my eye whenever I scrolled through scents to make lists of imps I wanted to try ... I never ordered it, though, for two reasons ... despite the presence of so many of my favorite notes, the first two listed -- lemon and currant -- warned me away. Plus, it just sounded so ... busy! Nevertheless, I was delighted to receive it ...

IN THE BOTTLE: Very complex and sophisticated. Very "high end upscale department store" but in a good way, not a stinky "get that atomizer away from me, beeyotch!" way ... Glamorous.

Applied to wrists, moderately.

WET: A dazzling and almost dizzying array of the florals, most notably wisteria which I adore. It's a busy scent, as I expected ... I am pretty sure it's the wisteria that is throwing, but it might be the jasmine ... I am pleasantly surprised at the lack of fruitiness, given the top notes listed.

DRYDOWN: Sadly, as soon as it dries down the lemon and currant rise to the forefront. It becomes cloying ... though still interesting and complex, it's just not me at all.

It's a fascinating scent, full of layers of depth. I can see why people would fall in love with this one. It just doesn't work on me ... it is one of the BPAL scents which I wish I could just put a stop-time on during its wet stage and keep it like that forever.

Yu-u-um! This is absolutely stunning. I was very surprised to smell the fresh, crisp, lemon note! Surprised, but delighted, as I love lemon. Even more delighted, because this is *hardly* a wispy, barely-there lemon scent. Rather, the lemon just brightens and crispens (is that a word?) what is really a very lush, red, grapey, magnificient floral perfume. It's sophisticated . . . it's luxurious . . . it's alive. One of my favorite florals.

:P

Venice

This was a swap with voodoobaby ( :P Thanks again!).

In the bottle:

Something about any blend with rose has me zeroing in on the rose. The combination of any kind of jasmine and any kind of rose just amplifies the rosiness for me.

Wet:

ROSE (jasmine? jasmine.)!

Drydown:

ROSE, sweet, unrelenting, unflinching ROSE (and jasmine)!

Later:

Hours later-probably three or four hours-other beautiful notes come out from hiding. This is really, really lovely. I can't even distinguish individual notes here, just a sense of old, gentle, wise, graceful movement.

Conclusion:

I'm on the fence with this one. The rose coupled with jasmine is so completely overwhelming, but that gentle phase is so compelling. Dangit.

First sniff from the bottle- A light floral aquatic. Mimosa maybe?

After 10 minutes- All florals either smell like rose or jasmine on me. This one is no exception. Now that my skin has soaked it in it is a screaming strong jasmine scent that burns my nose and makes me sneeze.

After 30 minutes- Soap city.

Summery- Florals and I do not get along. This is going in the swap pile.

This is gorgeous and complex. The scent keeps morphing on my skin, but I love every nuance of it. Right now, the dominant note is the lemon and the rose which isn't a combination I would have thought I would enjoy, but it's really lovely. I'm glad I've ordered a bottle of this... I can tell it's going to be one of my favorites.

i received this as a very generous gift from the lab. . .probably wouldn't have ordered it myself. . . thank you! :P

first impessions: i like this! at first hit i didn't think i would, as it started off too sharp and floral on me. almost immediately it mellowed. this makes me feel alive! looking at the notes for the first time, i see why i would like it. all things i adore, with the exception of rose. i only get just a touch of rose.

wearing: for some reason, this reminds me of yerevan, although this is sharper than yerevan, more sophisticated, less florally-sweet. i get lemon and currant, which keep it sharp and bright. and yet something, must be the sandalwood and orris, keep it grounded. light, yet complex.

final thoughts: this is not a scent i would have imagined i would like, but the lab continues to surprise me. it ireminds me of a hazy yellow day. . . and venice has kept me interested through the whole yummy journey!

From the vial: sharp, sandalwoody/floral scent.

Applied: sandalwood note is still strong. But now I can smell rose petals and a hint of plum. Interesting blend.

After a while: the scent is getting a bit softer, more nose-friendly. It's mostly floral now, but sandalwood hue is still present.

Summary: I like sandalwood notes, but not necessarily mixed with flowers. Old Venice is a very classy scent though, it makes me think of little black dresses and high heels. Not the best choice for wearing to work, but perfect for a dinner in an elegant restaurant.

In the bottle: Lemon and jasmine and rose with the traces of other florals and a tinge of the sandalwood in the background. This is a very complex scent that has a a lingering old feeling to it. Not old as in musty but just old and grand and wonderul.

Wet: Very floral but the lemon note in the background helps keep it from becoming too overpowering and heavy. It gives it a light airness that is very nice. The lemon is the only note that seems to be rising from the others and influences the throw greatly. The florals sit closer to the skin and have a tendancy to mingle.

Dry down: I think the lemon and the jasmine are taking the prevalent notes in the throw now. On the skin it's still a very mixed floral with traces of lemon. The sandalwood is being nice and acting as a background note rather than the OMGsandalwood it usually does.

Dry: Hmm...this is a little strong for me. Very much sandalwood and heavier florals with just the smallest touch of lemon behind everything else. I like it in the bottle an wet, though, so I may use it as a room scent but this is a little close to the allergy edge for me.

Wet, it's thick rose with something just a little sharper to keep the flower from being too heavy. Then again--there's the headiness; lush deep flowers. Rose and jasmine, mhmm.

It gets lighter, sheerer, very quickly; more of the lemon tartness (though none of the actual scent). I still smell some of the rose but it's more blended.

And mhmm, wow. Now it has some watery undertones to the scent. The waterlily? I can't catch really the rose individually anymore. It's blended to become a sweet flower note. There's a hint of spices to this scent.

Heady to crisp to watery spice.

Cool.

A complex, voluptuous scent that captures the robust beauty and of the Italian Renaissance: lemon, red currant, wisteria, red rose petals, heady jasmine, Florentine orris root, waterlily, red sandalwood, violet plum, and violet leaf.

I haven't really disliked any of the Wanderlust scents and this one is no different. It is a strong floral scent in the bottle. As the description says complex, voluptuous scent. Wet on me it is a stron jasmine and red currant. I don't smell too much lemon, but others say it's there. As it dries, the flowers just seem to mix and mingle finally allowing the violet plum to emerge.

Venice is one of my favourite places in the world and I love the images I get with this scent. Lush, bright colours; red, yellow, purple and green. Vivacious, buxom women, faces hidden behind vivid masks, their contagious laughter rippling through St Mark's Square as they dance to the live orchestra with their partners...a mixture of floral scents drifiting from their warm, ample cleavages... Beth's Venice is bold and intoxicating: floral, green, slightly aquatic, a touch sweet and fruity. Roses, jasmine, violet...and also the strong lemon zest and red currant mixing in. Despite those fruity notes though, Venice seems to be all floral, all the time on me, and I just can't do most big florals. I find it a bit sharp too. I love the imagery, but ultimately, this one is not for me.

On me all the notes go out together, making a beautiful blend, floral and elegant with a fruity touch.

Glamourous and juicy, at the end it's red currant, roses and a touch of orris root to make it just perfect. :P

hmmm wet is red currant and jasmine, rose, orris

it ends up rose, orris, and red currant on me, actually it is sweet and beautiful. very nice

The Wanderlust scents in general have all "worked" for me & Venice is no exception. It's a stonger floral than I would wear in cooler weather but perfect for Spring when even the air is perfumed with the fragrance of flowering trees. (Yes, I really DO live in New Jersey.)

Venice has been described as a "red" scent but on me it is definitely a PURPLE perfume. Yep, purple, no doubt about it. With my parculiar chemistry all of the purplish notes are amplified. This is wisteria, Florentine orris root (an excellent fixative), violet plum & violet leaf in the forefront. That odd, as my body usually amplifies jasmine.

Either way, this reminds me of a purple version of Formula 54. Not because they smell alike but because they are both so rich & complex.

I am enjoying Venice very much!

First impression: ooooh, light roses, with a drop of lemon. *minemineminemine* :P

A few minutes later: This has become alot richer, gorgeous, but the lemon is largely gone. :D No currant though. Darnit. My skin sucks up the berries in every single scent I've tried. And I think maybe a touch of the violet is peeking through on its own. The florals blend really well here and it's hard to pick out the notes.

Later: the rose has relaxed slightly, and something bright is peeking through. This is a keeper. Yum.

Venice

In the imp: WOW an amazing explosion of flowers, fruity and watery scents. Very complex!

Wet on skin: Holy shit. This smells just like Lush!!! You know the smell of a Lush shop as you enter? This is exactly what this smells like! There's lemon here, other fruits (plum and currant?) there, rose here, sandalwood there, violet here, and so many other scents! I'm thinking, this shouldn't be called 'Venice' but 'Liquid Lush'!

Dry on skin: Yup, it still smells of a Lush shop-only with a watery note added. The lemon and rose are strong in this, and I think there's sandalwood warming the scent, and soft jasmine like what you get in Fairy Jasmine ballistics. It's an incredible combination of wonderful scents!!

After a while: the florals are becoming more rounded and defined. It's less of the full on, 'liquid Lush' chaos I first got, I can now make out fresh rose petals, wisteria and jasmine, and violets, with the lemon note still there adding a nice tartness. I think I can also smell fresh, sweet, wet fruits in this, fruits that have been cut open, their juices flowing. It's a very 'watery' smell, like fresh cool water with flower petals floating in it. I think that might be the waterlily. Whatever it is, I am falling in love with this.

Verdict: I'd imagine this is what a Venetian branch of Lush would smell like! You enter the shop and the citrus and flower notes hit your nose. That's what this smell is like-a burst of complex and random notes, but what a gorgeous combination! Lovely florals and tart lemons, sweet fruits and a watery note make this a fantastic feminine scent that is, light, buoyant, youthful and bright. I love it!

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Floral.

In the bottle: Very floral... I definitely catch red rose, lemon, jasmine and sandalwood.

On skin, wet: This is quite interesting... I can't pin any one note out! Whenever I think I've caught one, something else pops up.

On skin, dry: This turns into an ordinary, run-of-the-mill synthetic floral after an hour or so. It's rather faint, but lingering.

Conclusion: This didn't win me over, sadly. It's not a bad scent, just not something that strikes me as something I'd wear.

Edited by Aredhel

Sweet, sweet floral: violet, perhaps, at first. While sweet, it's complicated, which I like. Goes nicely soft violet later. Work apropos.

venice.jpg

Very flower-like with fruit undertones, Venice lasts and is exceptionally feminine. It is more of a "Grand Perfume" floral to me, and stays the same on my skin without changing into something else. It has very good "throw" and is unflaggingly pleasant.

Somehow, I keep on comparing it to Florence (both Italian), and Florence is much more fruit and orris than Venice which is no surprise, right? I would have to say that Florence is unique and Venice is one of the best of a category (category being "floral feminine scents with well-brought-up jasmine).

Though Venice isn't me, it is certainly popular and if you are planning on giving an imp of something to a friend to introduce them to BPAL, Venice would be a good choice. It's a lovely traditional perfume.

Edited by olympia301

In the bottle: Smells floral and spicy. And expensive. I'm excited.

On Skin: It smelled very floral for a few minutes and then it turns into soap! :P

On drydown: It has almost completely faded from my skin.

Verdict: Doesn't like me at all! Going into the swap pile!

In bottle: This is one of those scents that is so complex I can't really pick out the individual notes. This is just a delightfully fragrant floral and fruit combination. I detect the plum of Bordello and petals from Rose Red, but this is mostly a jumble of incredibly sweet, fresh things.

On me: The richness of this blend keeps the jasmine in check, which is wonderful - I hate when it's so screaming I can't detect anything else. This is a bright, happy fragrance, all sunshine and romance and lightning-bright smiles. The plum is very stong, with the lemon and currants making this fruit combination a perfect compliment to the assorted florals. The sandalwood is there, but extremely subtle; it acts as a grounding base for everything else to leap off of.

Very pretty, complex perfume with all the notes blending together. Sophisticated and a little "perfumy" for me, which I think is the jasmine. It is the only note I can really detect, and as I don't like it, I will be swapping this. Too bad, because I love the city of Venice, and wanted to love the perfume!

A lovely, light floral. I think the jasmine and the water lily are the top notes that really show on me. There's an underlying perfumey softness that makes Venice exquisitely feminine. This is a good one for lazy spring mornings. :P

If Venice were a fabric, it would be a heavy, floral damask. It's an incredibly opulent floral, intricately woven into a stylized version of reality.

Unfortunately, for me, it felt a bit like wearing heavy damask in the 90-degree heat too. Venice was just too much for me. The perfumey jasmine settled around me and wouldn't let go, even though I could smell the fruit underneath, struggling to get out. If you like heady florals, Venice is one with a lot of depth and interest, but I'm going to have to admit to myself that jasmine and I don't seem to be getting along and let this one go.

When we discussed this one on MUA, there were all sorts of interesting comments.  One of the best was "Can a scent be red? An incredibly red jasmine that captures what I imagine Renaissance Venice would have been - bold, bright, voluptuous, and lush."

I'm not a jasmine fan, but this isn't the headache-inducing type; it's very clear and rich.  Others smelled violet plum, then waterlily, sandalwood, orris root, and other florals coming through.  As a huge lemon fan, I'd be thrilled with just a bit more lemon and red currant to tarten things up, but the scent is a keeper as-is.  

Ultra-feminine, but don't confuse that with "girlie."  This is wealthy, soft-skinned, full-bosomed Renaissance woman with rings on her fingers and a cup of wine in her hand.

I agree with the lovely jj_j on this wholeheartedly! She was kind enough to send me an imp of this (and many others :P and I was not sure I'd like it at first, but it is a keeper. It was a surprise- it developed beautifully, and after an hour or so, the predominant note was the red currant (or at least I think this is what it was!) I noticed a bit of waterlily and jasmine but it was so well balanced that it was subtle. It is definitely a complex scent and I will use up the imp and maybe purchase more.