Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with benzoin, bourbon vanilla, lemon peel, neroli, blood orange, and red ginger.

This goes on as a blend of pumpkin and ginger, then the vanilla comes out to play as it dries. Absolutely gorgeous.

Mmmm, oh, yeah, this is the stuff.

In the bottle, I hate it a lot. It's got that gag-inducing TOO MUCH CAKE smell that makes me push Eat Me and Drink Me far, far away. But I gave it a shot anyway, and I'm so glad I did. It's nothing like that!

It does have a certain sweet cakey/cookie...y-ness, but there's enough spice to balance it out and make it just delicious. More of a spicy tea, with pumpkin cookies next to it?

The pumpkin isn't strong, but it's a definite presence -- so is the blood orange, though less so. The vanilla is strong, along with something else I can't identify but which I think is the neroli? Whatever it is, it's very nice, and I love the lab's vanilla so much. I've always been a huge fan of vanilla, but never as a skin scent, because everywhere else I've smelled it from is so artificial and sickly-sweet. BPAL vanilla is smooth and creamy and amazing, definitely a favorite note of mine. (And it always stays on my skin in a really lovely form for a SHOCKING amount of time -- I've had vanilla left from Snake Oil almost a week later, if I really sniffed at my arm.)

I'm surprised the lemon peel isn't stronger, because usually anything lemon really takes over on me (I don't mind -- I LOVE lemon). In this one, it's barely there, but that's okay, 'cause I wasn't interested in this for the lemon. :P

I knew I was taking a chance when I ordered this one, because it could have gone so wrong, but I lucked out; It's my new favorite!

WOW! I LOVE THIS!

Bought a bottle of this of a forumite and it arrived today. I didn't read the description before I tried it as I wanted to make my own mind up as to what it smelt of.

I get 100% lemon cheesecake, gorgeous! This is especially nice as since turning vegan, I haven't been able to eat cheesecake unless it's a home-made one made by me with tofu etc. Which is a lot of faffing about..

So glad I bought this, I'm in love.

:P

I swapped away my 2007 Sugar Skull for Pumpkin V. And I am glad that I did!

I love this scent! At first it is a bit buttery, but that fades quickly. Then it is pumpkiny orangey gingery. Warm and sweet and light smelling with amazing throw!

Great stuff.

Very foody, hint of lemon peel as specified in the notes. The pumpkin in this blend is quite strong. The bourbon vanilla just makes the pumpkin seem foodier. To me this smells very similar to blend III.

Pumpkin V (2007) – This is a really cool pumpkin scent. It’s mostly pumpkin with a sweet touch of citrus that isn’t bright and crisp due to the booziness of the bourbon vanilla. The red ginger is barely discernible in this blend to the point where I wouldn’t have recognized it if I hadn’t have read the scent description. It’s probably my favorite of the 2007 Pumpkin Patch blends. It’s sweet and slightly boozy pumpkin. Moderate throw and staying power.

Luscious. The hubby just went, "ooh, what's that? I like it!" I smell pumpkin, ginger, vanilla, the teeniest bit of lemon peel. It smells like really good, not too sweet pie.

PUMPKIN V, 2007

In Bottle: Pumpkin and spice

On Skin: The pumpkin owns this scent on me, followed by spicy ginger. The bourbon vanilla is very thick and sweet, almost like cream. The blood orange and lemon peel offer a sliver of tartness that help balance the scent. It reminds me a little of the baked sweet potato, marshmallow and orange juice casserole I make during the holidays. Very yummy. This scent actually reminds me most of Pumpkin Queen, and even has that more refined quality to it. After dry down the spice begins to amp more and the overall scent fades quite quickly. After about 5 minutes of wearing the scent it has almost completely vanished from my skin. Light throw and very short wearlength.

I just love the way the pumpkin and red ginger play together in this blend. The neroli and lemon are background notes that help make this fresh and clean, while still being rich and dark from the pumpkin and ginger. The vanilla seems to smooth and round the blend out and add the little bit of added sweetness that was needed. I did not hang onto this because as nice of a blend as it is, I do not see myself reaching for it enough to keep it around, but I would be curious to snag a bottle after this has aged a few years... :P

Edited by mystery213

In the bottle – Pumpkin and a little of the ginger, making it a little like a cheese cake

Wet on me – Ginger and a pithy bitterness from the citrus

Dry on me – The ginger runs the show, with slightly earthy undertones

Overall – Nice enough, but not wow

I've never tried a fragrance with pumpkin in it before, and it was a real dilemma whether to buy V or III. The bourbon vanilla was the deciding factor for me, and I'm glad I went with it. This smells so tasty, like pumpkin spice cookies with orange zest icing. Every time I wear this, I want to lick my arm. Tragically, it only lasts for about three or four hours before my skin goes OM NOM NOM NOM and swallows it. At the very beginning though, there really *is* a weird buttery sort of smell - is this typical of pumpkin scents generally?

Oh, and it also goes really nicely with Candy Butcher. Think *chocolate-dipped* pumpkin spice cookies. Almost makes me want to bake something.

Expectations: This is a bit iffy. I like most of the notes, but have a feeling the pumpkin will be too weak on me, and citrus is hit-or-miss.

In vial: First whiff is pumpkin and ginger, which is great. Second is lemon and orange, which isn't as great but also isn't as overwhelming as I thought it might be.

On skin, wet: The pumpkin disappeared in a flash, and I'm left with two separate blends competing for my attention. The first is vanilla and ginger, the second is a disturbingly Pledge-like citrus.

On skin, dry: What? Toilet paper holder? But that's supposed to come from florals!

After time: At 10 minutes a sudden blast of ginger, followed by what I suspect is the benzoin. At 15 minutes, it's blending together into a nice spicy scent. The citrus has faded a lot. At 20 minutes, I'm getting a number of different cookie frostings (maybe I bake too much).

Conclusion: I'll want to try this again some other time when I intend to wear more and have it on all day. I think I like it once it blends together, but not enough to buy more.

There’s a whole lotta pumpkin in this, and a good amount of spicy red ginger. I’m not very familiar with red ginger, but it seems less astringent than the white ginger I’m used to. It’s got a deep spiciness that is almost savory. (Note to self – seek out other red ginger scents!) I thought this would be similar to Pumpkin Queen but it’s nowhere near as sweet. The vanilla isn’t adding noticeable sweetness and, although citrus usually amps on my skin, I’m having a hard time detecting the lemon peel or mandarin orange. Honestly, this is like a pumpkin curry or something. Maybe it’s just my weird skin chemistry, but most pumpkin blends end up smelling like pie on me, I think this is extremely cool and different.

In the imp, I just get pumpkin. Where are all of those other notes? I get a teeny whiff of citrus at the end of my sniff, but that's it!

Luckily, this starts to really morph on my skin...I get the citrus, a little vanilla, then the ginger...then, I swear, it's like a Pumpkin version of Teenage Cannibal. Like Teenage Cannibal at Halloween instead of Valentine's Day O_o The citrus and ginger are EXTREMELY similar to Teenage Cannibal. Very nice! I still prefer the tartness of TC over this blend so I don't need to find a bottle, but this is a very lovely and creative blend using pumpkin!

Hours later this blend is still going strong. Great lasting power. On drydown the vanilla comes out more, the citrus fades, and it gets a bit powdery, but it still smells lovely! I would definitely recommend this blend!

Pumpkin V - Pumpkin Patch 2007

In the Bottle:

Pumpkin! - this smells more like the pumpkin while it is whole - no grin on his face yet; nor does this pumpkin smell foody at all, so it's definitely not pumpkin pie or cider smelling...nope - just a fresh off the vine pumpkin.

On my Skin, Wet:

Freshly cut pumpkin and vanilla!

the vanilla is rather sweet and foody, but the pumpkin is still just a fresh veggie and not yet a delicious autumn pastry.

I can smell something akin to a resin, but I don't remember if amber was a listed note on this pumpkin.

On my Skin, Dry:

More sweet vanilla and soft wafts of pumpkin trapped inside that delicious golden resin smell.

this is just breathtaking....it's a warm golden autumn evening sitting outside with mini pumpkins nestled around you while drinking some vanilla flavored drink!

Verdict:

A sweet foody vanilla without being too overwhelming...the pumpkin seems to keep the vanilla in control but still allows that delicious sweetness gently float around you.

I'm a sucker for resin - and this resin is perfect! just a little teeny tiny touch of spiciness but mostly that warm inviting glow that reminds me of looking at a lit fireplace through frosted glass on a warm, but slowly chilling, evening.

8 of 10 Ranking!

I thought I was head over heels with Jack and Pumpkin III; add this to the mix! The spicy ginger is so different than the cream/caramel in Pumpkin III; love love love it!!

ADDED July 5:

My body loves pumpkin scents; I can't wait for the fall so I can wear my pumpkin patch collection! Thank goodness the gross cinnamon that accompanies most pumpkin/fall scents is not present...creamy and spicy. Love it

Wonderful beautiful loveliness. The vanilla in this is perfect. The vanilla in Dorian, Morocco and Antique Lace made those scents cloyingly sweet on me, but the other notes in V must make this a perfect yummy vanilla blend! :P

Edited by anardana

Imp: Citrusy with a dash of boozy vanilla and whisper of pumpkin.

Wet: Gorgeous mingling of the citrus notes and sharp ginger.

Dry: The pumpkin begins to emerge but the lemon and orange notes remain. The vanilla seems to have been swallowed by the pumpkin.

Oh, DAMN. This is so nice. If I rolled about in pumpkin pie filling, this is exactly what I would smell like. Sweet and spicy and gorgeous.

Mmmmmm.

Today seemed like a perfect day to finally try Pumpkin V. Second day of autumn and all...

So when it goes on it's sweet and rich and almost caramel. As it dries, it becomes less sticky sweet and the citrus and ginger take over. It's delicious, but no longer really pumpkiny - almost like it's primarily lemon and ginger, with a hint of pumpkin in the background. Not complaining, though! Just makes me want to try more and more of the Pumpkins!

in decant: This smells like a pumpkin pie sitting next to a lemon meringue pie!

wet: Even more so. Stronger lemony scent, and sweetness. It's quite pleasant.

drying: I love the ginger in this.

later: Wow, this disappears entirely on me. Huh. Very short wear life. Nice while it lasts, though.

In the bottle, this smells like a nice spicy pumpkin. Alas, when I put it on my skin, the pumpkin goes away and the spice goes away. I'm left with something that smells vaguely floral, makes my eyes a little itchy and feels sharp in my nose.

I think Pumpkin II is my dream scent out of this batch of pumpkin Halloweenies.

In bottle: BPAL's gorgeous buttery pumpkin note, with a touch of fruit and ginger to freshen it.

Wet on skin: it's very smoothly blended - definitely pumpkin, but also citrussy with a gingery tang underneath. However the citrus is really creamy rather than sharp.

Dry on skin: there's no morphing going on here. It remains a lovely smooth blend of pumpkin and fruit with an underlying tang of ginger. I wish it lasted longer, though. The throw is quite good for the first couple of hours, but after that I have to huff my skin to smell it. Despite that, this has shot right up into my top 10 scents!