Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

This is one of those scents tha smells exactly the same on me as in the bottle. It reminds me of powdered sugar. I don't get the fresh snow, or a cold scent at all. I almost thought there was some kind of mistake and I'd ordered sugar cookie instead.

It's a very sweet, foody scent. I got lots of compliments from coworkers who so much as walked in my office. I like it, it was just not what I was expecting. I don't get the winter vibe at all, which is disappointing. Hopefully next year I can find a more snow-y scent.

Snow White is one of my favorite BPAL scents, if not my absolute favorite! (Okay, I waver between Gelt and Snow White; completely different fragrances, I know!)

In the bottle: Powdery snow and lush greenery. When I first smelled this, I thought to myself that this is unlike any man-made scent I've ever smelled.

Wet on skin: Mmmm, more snow, along with coconut and almond. The green note takes the backseat. It's chilly coconut, like the most delicious coconut sorbet sprinkled with almonds, served on a platter of holiday greenery. When I usually think of coconut, it reminds me a tropical places. Not this coconut!

Dry-down: The coconut and almond warms up over time. It is so lovely and the throw is quite noticeable hours after application.

Amazing scent! 5/5!

now i finally know what everyone raves about. i smell the green and the florals in this immediately, in fact, that's what i manly get out of it the whole time, like rose stems and baby's breath.

Snow White 2008 is very fresh, clean and delicate on application. When it dries, there is something a bit foody that steps forward. However, it remains a sparkling and clean scent.

This is my first 5ml bottle ever and what a great choice it turned out to be! I bought this just going off the description and it is pretty true to that. Living in Australia, I am reasonably unfamiliar with snow. I have seen it once or twice when visiting other countries, but I do not think this perfume is "snowy". I would have thought a snow smell would be more aquatic? This perfume is lovely and creamy on me :wub2: I also sense amber, jasmine, vanilla (although I'm not sure if they are actually in there!)

My husband loves it, and when I wear it I feel very feminine. I am seriously having a love affair with this right now and can not stop wearing it (even though I am supposed to be reviewing my other imps!).

So glad I got a 5ml, and not happy it may be hard to come by again :(

I ordered this unsniffed, and while I wasn't sure about it originally (I was actually afraid to wear it for about a week!), I think it may be growing on me.

In the bottle: All I can smell here is coconut, with a weirdly muddled fruity background. I HATE coconut like nobody's business, so I was extremely disappointed upon receiving this.

Wet: Unfortunately, it's still a little on the coconutty side. The mixed fruits have stepped forward, though, and I spend my first twenty minutes wearing this feeling as though I've bathed in tropical punch.

Half an hour later: The coconut is still there, but the punch scent has all-but-vanished and I'm left with a pleasant scent of crisp white flowers and that unfortunate coconut.

Several hours later: I'm still smelling the coconut, but it's given way to the florals now, and I probably wouldn't notice if I didn't hate the scent so damn much. There's a slightly cool scent lurking in the background by this point, too, and the overall impression reminds me of the scent of snow in a cactus garden. I'm starting to catch whiffs of pine and other herbs as well, which blend beautifully with the white florals and all-but-obscure that stupid coconut.

Overall: I'm really disappointed by the pervasive coconut scent-- my body chemistry tends to bring out anything that remotely resembles a food, though, so it's not the oil's fault that I smell like coconut cream pie left out in a snowy, cactus-filled pine forest. Luckily, that starts to fade after an hour or two, and I have a feeling that the coconut may mellow out a little more as the oil ages. For the time being, I think, this one's a keeper.

EDIT:

The coconut just DOES NOT FADE on me. I went to bed last night with a stomachache, and when I woke up, all I could smell was coconut-- and this was over twenty-four hours after applying the perfume! I want so badly to like this, though, so I'll really just have to hang on to mine and hope it gets better with time (because, aside from the coconut, it's an absolutely perfect scent!).

Edited by wonderfinch

In the bottle: Creamy coconut and a slight bit of floral.

Wet: Coconut and the smell of rain (?) I guess this is the 'Crisp Winter Wind'

Dry: Coconut and floral.

Overall: I'm not too fond of coconut, but this is surprisingly nice. However, snow white does not remind me of anything snowy or cold, but instead reminds me of a tropical island where there are coconut trees and blooming flowers.

Edited by Ceri

Mmm, I've finally got my own bottle of Snow White! I'd tried a decant of the '05 version and was in love, but I was afraid I wouldn't get the same glorious scent from a new bottle. I happily get the same beautiful cherryblossom/vanilla/snow/greenery scent I adore. With a few weeks of aging it should be utterly perfect. This will most likely be the scent I'll be wearing for my wedding in May. :wub2:

Edited by LadyLuckless

Well, I'm one of those people who can't not try a BPAL that's as talked about and sought after as Snow White is -- especially when it's something I'm honestly interested in for the concept as well. I do well with most BPAL scents, as I have very agreeable skin chemistry, so I expected to like this.

However, I honestly had no idea I would like it as much as I do! The minute I sniffed this in the bottle, I was blown away by how lovely it smelled -- something akin to a plate of Nilla wafers sitting next to a vase of lovely, white flowers. I agree with the impression that this is a "colorless" scent. There's nothing I smell about it that's anything other than pure, innocent, and white. It also smells just as beautiful on as it does in the bottle, and the scent lasts and lasts which pleasantly surprised me. I'm used to having scents like this one fade to nothing an hour or so after applying, but at 7 in the evening, I can still smell it even though I put it on this morning. It dries down to mostly mild florals and vanilla/coconut -- a scent combination that reminds me of freshly shampooed hair.

I'm not sure how "wintery" it really is to my nose, but it definitely very much embodies Snow White for me. I smell coconut, almonds, and a hint of something that smells like vanilla -- a combination I equate with the qualities of sweetness and innocence. I also honestly felt I smelled Snow White's apple when I first put this on, although I no longer smell it after wearing it for hours. There was also a faint hint of some sort of greenery or woods, which I normally don't like but absolutely love in this since it's so mild.

Overall, I would definitely say that Snow White lives up to all the hype. It's a beautiful scent that I feel could honestly be worn in any season and for any occasion. Definitely one of BPAL's must-try masterpieces!

Edited by glass_cat

('07 version.)

Wet: Rosy.

First on: Sweet, watery rose.

Dry: Same on drydown. A pleasant rose scent, but not really my thing.

I ordered a bottle of this because of all the good reviews that I read.

In the bottle: not really sure what it smells like. It's fresh, clean, with a bit of a green bite but there is something else that I can't quite put my finger on.

On me: there is a warmer scent coming through, a tad foody, but still green. After about ten minutes it turns to lemon sugar cookies. Not what I was expecting, but a nice scent.

Overall: Glad that I got a bottle, even though it wasn't what I was expecting.

In the bottle this smells just like the snowcake soap from LUSH. I LOVE IT!! *nummy*

But when I put it on.... my body morphs it into burning plastic. Also the place on my wrists where I put kinda burn.

I don't think I'll be keeping this one. :cry2:

Wet, it was a very light sweet floral. I really had to shove my nose to my skin in order to smell anything. This is very light on me.

As it dried, it went plastick-y and waxy. This did not work on me. :cry2:

Snow White 2004

The impression I get from this is cold, clean floral, soft and feminine without being too perfume-y. It's a very 'blue' scent. Perfect for the wintertime!

This is for the 2005 version.

In the bottle: Vanilla and florals.

Wet:There's the sweetness of the vanilla, and lurking under the snow are those florals. And just a whiff of coconut. The oil is cool, very cool, on my wrist. Once again I must wonder out loud, "How does Beth do that!". :)

The dry-down: Rather much the same as wet. A very light and pleasant scent. It stays close to the skin. This just gets sweeter and sweeter. Very much like Snow White '08, except less coconut.

Edited by thekittenkat

Snow White '07

This scent just intoxicates me. I get the slight coconut, the slight floral, and the warmness that has been described here, and I just want to roll around in it forever.

Edited by springheeljane

08 version

The weather here has been hot and humid for weeks now and its almost impossible to sleep at night due to the hot stuffiness in my bed room. Snow White has been my cure. It brings a soft gentle snuggly feeling to me that is truly reminiscent of freshly fallen snow. It is unbelievable how much of a true snow scent this is to me- soft cool and powdery with the faintest hints of almond, vanilla and white flowers. Its so hard to describe, but it truly sums up the best qualities of snow. Sparkly, white, soft, fresh and innocent. And oh so beautiful!

I received a sniffie of Snow White 2005 with just enough to test... and promptly spilled a little on my fingers.

I. Did. Not. Stop. Sniffing. Those. Fingers. All. Evening. :thud:

This is gorgeous! Snowy, yet warm and creamy, topped with white flower petals. The husband instantly fell for it too! Furthermore, it lasts forever and ever on me. On the evening of the spillage, I had something with raw onions, got some on my hands and thought, "Well, there goes the scent."

... except, the scent to go was the onion. Snow White was still there!

In short, if this is available again during Yule this year, I am getting a bottle. Not tentatively, absolutely guaranteed and signed in blood. :wub2:

07 version - GORGEOUS. I am so pleased I have a bottle of this (but I need more!) as it's definitely in my top 5 at this point. The florals are understated and not too green, overlaid with an icy creaminess that blends into a magically yummy scent. I smelled it through the package and thought "oh please let that be Snow White and not one of the imps!" ...I look forward to hunting down the other years of this scrumptious scent.

edit: This has become my #1 scent. It reminds me of too-ripe sliced bananas in ice cold milk. Not in the sense that it smells of bananas, but that ripe green smell with the cold creamy scent mixed in. GAWD I love this. I don't really know how the Yules work but OMG I hope we get this again this year. I'll buy the crap outta some Snow White!

Edited by samhainschimera

(2008 Edition)

I got an imp of this with just a teensy lil bit in it, just to try really. It didn't sound like something that would personally appeal to me, but I was curious as it gets mentioned quite often.

Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to track down a bottle.

When most people describe a scent as "clean" or "fresh", it usually means that I need to steer clear, as there are watery florals that just don't agree with me. THIS smell, however, is very fresh and clean to me. There is just a little bit of gentle greenery poking through while it's wet, but it dries down to a gentle, smooth, innocent, unassuming and lovely scent. It's definitely watery, but without that aquatic bite I'm so leery of.

Surprisingly for such a dainty scent, it is incredibly long-lasting. I applied some before bed last night and could clearly smell it on my skin when I woke up 8 or 9 hours later.

I'm a devoted resins-spices-woods girl, but this might just be the perfect scent for those days when my favorites feel a little oppressive.

9/12 ETA: I tracked down a bottle on Ebay, vintage 04 edition. Just editing to say that I can't detect any discernible differences.

Snow White seems like it seeps into my blood. This is the first oil that I've gotten "phantom smells" from. It can have been days since I wore it, but I'll suddenly get a whiff of it during the day. So odd.

Edited by MamaMoth

2008 Version

In the bottle: Mmm, crisp cold snow, with a hint of coconut!

Wet: It's such an unusual scent, but I love it. It's kind of hardly there. Slightly foody?

Dry: My colleague said it reminded him of Christmas cake. I guess it does! Lovely. Coconut and vanilla. Now kind of like watching snow falling outside your window whilst you're all warm inside the house.

2007 version. oh no. lillies!!!! That was the end of that!!! Out comes the kleenex and lotion to remove it. Sigh.....and it was the coconut I feared most. Surprise lily attack by snow white. Snow White: 1 Pseedie: 0 :sad:

So, I have bottles of every year of Snow White (except 07, but I have a decant of that). This is quite possibly the most heartbreakingly gorgeous scent ever made, EVER (to paraphrase from an earlier review). It ages incredibly well, to the point where if I sniff from my 04 bottle first, my later Snow Whites smell like nothing. If I sniff 05 another day, then 07 and 08 smell very faint. It just strengthens and gets more beautiful as it ages. I don't get coconut or almond or apple, though I see why people are saying that. It's the mixture of cold fresh green (the rare lily musk note?) and chilled creaminess. The throw and duration of this scent are spectacular. If any SW gets on my clothes (like a scarf or coat), it STAYS there, which is awesome.

Snow White '07

I can't believe I never reviewed Snow White, it's one of my first loves. It's absolute true to the description: a chilly and bright perfume. I don't get a whole lot of flowers, I smell a very cold almond with something floral behind. It's just gorgeous. And it lasts! I put some on in the morning and it's still very present at night. And that's without slathering. I cannot slather Snow White. If I slather it it reminds me too much of a certain Snowcake and I can't stand that scent. So I have to be very careful with Snow White, with the upside that my bottle will last a very long time.