Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

I had to test Snow White (2008) twice, because I was so confused by my first test that I wasn't sure what to write down.

First on, Snow White smells soft, sweet, and powdery. Like vanilla or marshmallows, a little bit, but something else. It was naggingly familiar--I still can't completely place it but it's probably the coconut smell that other people have talked about. Whatever it is, it's very nice. Fluffy, sweet, and white.

Unfortunately, within a half hour, this scent starts turning on me. It turns into something sour and stale and icky. I have this problem with a certain class of sweet scents--anything with sugar listed in the notes, often.

Interestingly, the throw on this scent continues to be white, and sweet, and soft--I only get the sour/stale scent when I'm sniffing close to the skin. Sigh.

I'm getting a scent locket--Snow White may be my first locket scent, since I love it, but not on my skin!

I honestly can't tell the difference between Snow White '08 and Dana O'Shee. I put one on each wrist, and they're identical. I like Dana, but I really wanted Snow white to be more clean, snowy (maybe ozone-y is the word I want). Sigh.

Imp: oh the LOVE! Flowers in the snow. White flowers

Wet on Me: more fresh white flowers with a trace of sweet but not cloying sweet.

Drying Down: I smell the winter aire…I smell the flowers hidden in the snowy breeze

Dry: a lil sweet, a lil sharp, a lil clean, a lil winter wonderland. My daughter fell in love with this at a MnS and now I see why. She might have some competition for this decant.

Very very soft, clean, white, and fluffy. On me, not very floral, and not even really sweet.

I let the love and adoration of others sway me into getting it. I can see why others might like it, but, I am not certain this is for me. I'm more in love with spice and this is almost the anti-spice.

In the bottle: The lab's beautiful trademark snow note, minus the pine that I usually smell with it

Wet on skin: Goes through a very brief plastic phase (but, of course, this bottle is less than a month old), then the snow is joined by light, unidentifiable florals

Dry on skin: Soft snow and faint florals...yup, just like the description. Lasts 7-8 hours on me, becoming slightly sweeter with time.

I love this now and can see it being wonderful during the summer as well as winter.

I really wanted to like this one! The description sounded gorgeous but I don't get flowers, snow or white. It smells like play-doh in the imp. Yuck! I tried it on anyway. Wet it's amber spiced play-doh. Then the mushroom scent comes out. :D Now I smell like spicy fungus.

Where oh where are my snow covered flowers? :P

For the 08 version: In the bottle this is vanilla, sweet and almost ripe-smelling. I dabbed some on each wrist and at the base of my neck before embarking on a long mission. Wet it is stRONG :D - virginal isn't really the first thing I think of. A would-be gentle vanilla is in serious competition with an almost musty fruit-tea smell. Like a really heady green tea with curdled cream. It smells a lot like Alice does on me in the initial stages, which is not good. :D

After some drydown (2+ hours) it softens a little, becoming a lot more like the frimp of Snow White 07 which inspired me to get this bottle. I almost like it, but if my skin continues to amp that overripe whatever-it-is , it's getting swapped.

To be continued...

Edited 1/11: Scent-locket scent for me, as this creates serious weirdness with my chemistry... Now, to find a locket! :P

Edited by Indig0

Since this is my first winter experiencing BPAL, I was hoping one of the snow scents would work for me. I never had a "snow" perfume before. Snow White scores, big time. It doesn't have the pine that ruined Snow Bunny for me, and I don't get coconut or playdoh... I just get clean, white, crisp snow and white flowers. This is just lovely, and would work, I believe, well into the spring. Heck, it would be wonderful to whip out in the middle of a muggy, oppressive summer and wear just for the cooling effect. I very, very much like this. My only complaint is that it faded VERY quickly. I had to reapply within an hour. Other than that, this one is a keeper.

The famous Snow White blend. D: I'm curious about this one even though it might not be something I'd wear.

Woah this is cold. How does one do that? I know there are "warm" scents but this is crazy... Not specifically minty, but wet on my skin it actually feels like a chilly breeze is emanating from my wrist. :D There's a light, sweet coconut note... and it truly has a "powdered snow" texture. Gets a tad watery at moments, very light and fresh but not weak.

In two words: Coconut sorbet.

As a color : Bright white.

Fresh and light "pretty" scents aren't really my cup of tea but I think I'll appreciate this when the weather turns unbearably hot. I'll save it. :P

Ohhh, it's coconut I'm smelling.

In the bottle: This is a little strong and overwhelms my nose so I can't figure out what I'm smelling, it is snowyish, and foody.

On: Coconut meet almond.

There's something a little vanilla and florally but mostly this just makes me think those two notes, so I'm still not sure if I like it on the third try since I reaally do not like coconut in any form including smell, but I do love almond. Ah well. I will probably get a bottle, and see how much I go for it.

Soft, sweet, and chock-full of vanilla. I was really worried about the coconut (which I despise), but my skin seems to have sucked up all the coconut and left nothing but vanilla and a few florals. It's really innocent and gentle. Nothing I'd wear on a date, but definitely for an everyday scent. It stays close to my skin but doesn't fade. Perfect not just for the winter, but spring and summer as well (not really getting a fall feel from this though). A keeper for sure!

Review of the 2008 version:

In the bottle: Colourless oil. Creamy, cold, and gently sweet. Almond and snow and a hint of soft white flowers.

Wet: The almond is less nutty, more benzaldehydey like extract. Less cold/fresh/snowy. Flowers still faint and distant.

Dry: I almost feel like there is a cream note here - it reminds me of the one in Schlafende Baigneuse. This is very delicate. The cold note has returned and the benzaldehyde has died down.

Later: Doesn't morph.

Summary: Blanched, delicately sweet almonds and cold white snow, touched with cream and faint white flowers. It's not crisp on me, but not quite creamy either. Lower throw but great lasting power.

Classic and feminine, and definitely one that has grown on me over my time with BPAL, but still not up my alley.

Snow White 2008...wow! This is like nothing I would normally wear...I'm a foodie person through and through. Flowers usually make me gag, and this description was so vague I didn't know what to expect. But I am in love! :D This is phenomonal; sexy and sultry and dark and sweet and innocent, all at the same time! Definitely keeping this bottle!

This review pertains to the Snow White 2007

When i first got this (in 2007) I smelled it in the bottle and immediately did not like. I tested it but I didn't post a review then because I had heard such amazing things about Snow White, and wanted to give it a second chance. So i put it in my "thinkaboutit" box and pretty much forgot i owned it (like with a few other bottles I need to do something with...) I saw it again today and pulled it out. I smelled it, it was still strong, but not quite as acrid, but it still had something that bothered me in it. I tested a teensy weensy bit on my wrist and instantly, viola, PLAY-DOH, and 2 hrs later, it continues to amplify. Its driving me nuts. Kinda sad, because if I get my nose REALLLY close to my wrist I can smell the beautiful background--which is totally overwhelmed by the PLAY-DOH!!!!! -.-

This will end up in swaps i'm afraid.

In the decant: Cool, creamy, soft, and sweet, white florals. Tantalizingly elegant!

Wet on skin: Creamier than before, florals more of an undertone.

Dry on skin: It seems to sour a bit... But it doesn't ruin the throw of the scent for me completely - it's still pleasantly soft, sweet, and white, and only seems sour if I'm sniffing my skin directly. This scent lasts a LONG time, too!

Overall, I prefer the scent in its pure form inside of the bottle/decant (I purchased a bottle) than to the concoction it develops into on my skin, but it's nice either way. This would be a perfect locket scent!

In imp: soft fresh florals.

Wet on skin: instantly turns to playdough. Bleh.

Dry on skin: Still playdough, but luckily it's very very very faint.

Final verdict: Hells to the no.

A conversation between me and my mother:

ME: What does this smell like to you? *offers wrist*

HER: *sniffs* Hmm... fruity.

ME: Fruity?! You're kidding! What kind of fruity?

HER: I don't know, it smells kind of familiar, but I can't place it.

ME: Familiar, like maybe... coconut? Or vanilla?

HER: Yeah, that's it, coconut vanilla.

ME: Weird, because all I smell is Play-Doh!

HER: Play-Doh?

ME: Yep. Salty Play-Doh.

HER: What's wrong with your nose?

Conclusion: I think I need a few more opinions before I decide whether to keep this or not. Perhaps some ageing will help?

This is for Snow White 08.

In the bottle: very sweet and somewhat floral, a hint of vanilla

Wet: a very sharp scent like after a heavy rain (that must be the ozone), also the sweetness, some vanilla

The dry-down: more vanilla, the ozone is still there, the florals are there, but just barely

I've tried Snow White several times now, somewhat because of all the hype. It's not quite what I was expecting, I was hoping for more of the icy/snow scent and less of the sweetness and vanilla. The florals do move to the foreground for me as the day goes on.

It is a pretty scent, with the florals and the sweetness of the vanilla, but I had hoped for more snow, less sweet and floral. I'm glad I got a bottle, but it won't be an everyday scent for me. (That is Lady Una, so far.)

In the bottle:

Coconut and vanilla with something else, for some reason I think very, very faint white floral.

On the skin:

It's creamy, it's soft, it's alluring, and it's sweet. With that said, it's pretty much the same in the bottle as it is on my skin. I asked my brother to sniff and he said it smelled of vanilla, coconut, and something else.

Overall:

This is the 2008 version and I do like it a lot, but luckily a single bottle ought to do it for me. It does bring the imagery of very fluffy snow and white blossoms to mind though.

In the bottle: Oh, YUM. It's sweet, but not remotely syrupy or cloying. I smell almonds, and I'm also getting some clean white flowers and white musk. Hard to explain, but it's both cool like snow and… soft. Glowing. It's almost like coconut, but not really. It's slightly floral, slightly fruity, a little bit musky, but nothing overtly so. Reminds me a bit of Angel—crystalline and beautiful--although this is much softer and subtler.

On, wet: A little cooler, a little bit more musk, but still amazing and incredibly hard-to-define. There's something beautifully contradictory about the fresh coolness and radiant softness of the scent. This makes me think of those moments after a snowfall when the sunlight glitters on that perfect sheet of whiteness, frosty and elusive and beautiful.

Later: Not much changed, actually. It's still just sweet and cool and really lovely.

Overall: There's something white and pure and celestial about this scent, and I can't get enough. Even after wearing it and having days pass, I caught a whiff of it on a sweater I hadn't washed yet, and… OMG, still swoon-worthy. Very glad I have a bottle of this one, and wish I'd bought multiples. This is easily one of my favorites.

This was nice but unspectacular on me--like soft coconut and something else. Confectioner's sugar, maybe. I know that's not quite right, but it feels metaphorically accurate, at least. It's light and almost insubstantial in the same way confectioner's sugar is, and while I get the sense that it has a hidden deliciousness, I can't manage to get at it with a casual sniff. Sadly, one cannot eat the BPAL like confectioner's sugar. :lol:

I ended up giving the bottle to my mom, on whom it smells creamy and almondy and a bit floral--very feminine. At least it's making someone happy.

I bought Snow White 2008. It does indeed smell like buttery vanilla coconut. I see why they said that. It's so weird. It's bright, it's creamy, it's fresh, it's foody, and it's simple gorgeous. It's like a buttery vanilla coconut musk...with just a touch of floral. Absolutely gorgeous. I can see why this is such a popular scent!